Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

JS2s are upon us! What would you take over HLS? Anything?

HLS or bust, fam
85
18%
SLS/YLS
130
28%
T6 Full Tuition Scholly
116
25%
T6 w/ Money (< full)
36
8%
T6 Sticker
11
2%
T14 Full Tuition Scholly
58
13%
T14 w/ Money (< full)
19
4%
T14 Sticker
9
2%
 
Total votes: 464

User avatar
#gobroncos

Bronze
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Teacher wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:
jkander31 wrote:so can we expect a wave of JS2's next week and another wave at the end of January?


DId this happen last year? I kind of thought there’s usually just one January wave later in the month. That said, I’d be pumped for a JS2 wave next week (assuming I’m in it, of course)!


Do y’all think it’s at all possible for someone who had a JS1 today (**ahem** me) to be in the next JS2 wave? (**xrosses fingers**)


I don’t see why not, honestly. I would think, if anything, they want to have as many apps with final decisions on them as soon as possible to reduce their own workload. If they aren’t sure about someone, it makes sense to wait on it, but might as well hand out all for-sure acceptances ASAP if you’re in that bunch!

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hstrat wrote:Went complete 10/31, still no JS1... can I take that as a ding and stop stressing, do you think?

I've been complete since 10/13 with no JS1. You aren't alone.

75th GPA median LSAT, complete since September and no JS1 :cry: the pain is real

fohner

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fohner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Is there reason to think that JS1s are disproportionately going to people with high LSAT scores this early in the cycle? Like is Harvard focusing on securing their LSAT stats so that people below 173 can expect to hear back later? The lowest accepted LSAT score on LSN for this cycle so far is 173. I feel like my neuroticism is getting the best of me but it makes sense that better applicants are getting accepted earlier and people with lower stats will get their shot later.

User avatar
usaorbust

Bronze
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby usaorbust » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:20 pm

fohner wrote:Is there reason to think that JS1s are disproportionately going to people with high LSAT scores this early in the cycle? Like is Harvard focusing on securing their LSAT stats so that people below 173 can expect to hear back later? The lowest accepted LSAT score on LSN for this cycle so far is 173. I feel like my neuroticism is getting the best of me but it makes sense that better applicants are getting accepted earlier and people with lower stats will get their shot later.


Well there has only been one wave of acceptances so I think it’s early to make those speculations.

Llamas

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Llamas » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

fohner wrote:Is there reason to think that JS1s are disproportionately going to people with high LSAT scores this early in the cycle? Like is Harvard focusing on securing their LSAT stats so that people below 173 can expect to hear back later? The lowest accepted LSAT score on LSN for this cycle so far is 173. I feel like my neuroticism is getting the best of me but it makes sense that better applicants are getting accepted earlier and people with lower stats will get their shot later.


I think you're overthinking it. There are people with high LSATs who haven't gotten JS1, and there are people who had below median LSAT who have gotten a JS1.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

fohner wrote:Is there reason to think that JS1s are disproportionately going to people with high LSAT scores this early in the cycle? Like is Harvard focusing on securing their LSAT stats so that people below 173 can expect to hear back later? The lowest accepted LSAT score on LSN for this cycle so far is 173. I feel like my neuroticism is getting the best of me but it makes sense that better applicants are getting accepted earlier and people with lower stats will get their shot later.


It seems like JS1s have been relatively balanced so far. Who knows if receiving a quick JS1 has something to do with the strength of your app, the efficiency of your app's reader, or a combination of both. However I wouldn't be surprised if they frontload 173+ JS2s so that they can be somewhat confident that they're median is secure on March 31st.

User avatar
#gobroncos

Bronze
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:39 pm

usaorbust wrote:
fohner wrote:Is there reason to think that JS1s are disproportionately going to people with high LSAT scores this early in the cycle? Like is Harvard focusing on securing their LSAT stats so that people below 173 can expect to hear back later? The lowest accepted LSAT score on LSN for this cycle so far is 173. I feel like my neuroticism is getting the best of me but it makes sense that better applicants are getting accepted earlier and people with lower stats will get their shot later.


Well there has only been one wave of acceptances so I think it’s early to make those speculations.


And that wave was super small, I believe, relative to the ones to come. We’re still in the first quarter of this one. Lots of clock left.

SmellingRoses

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby SmellingRoses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Just checking in (better late than never!).

Went Complete: 11/3
JS1 Invite: 11/28
JS1 Interview: 12/6

LSAT: 165 (I cry)
GPA: 3.85
Non-URM, but other diverse factors
Great softs
Already have an LL.M.

As far as I can tell, I’m one of the only non-URM that’s below the 25th LSAT to have a (relatively early) JS1... is anyone else in that boat? Should I take that as a good sign? TBH v shocked I even got a JS1 and would actually think there’s a mistake if I got a JS2 call.

User avatar
pupper

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pupper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 pm

SmellingRoses wrote:As far as I can tell, I’m one of the only non-URM that’s below the 25th LSAT to have a (relatively early) JS1... is anyone else in that boat? Should I take that as a good sign? TBH v shocked I even got a JS1 and would actually think there’s a mistake if I got a JS2 call.


I'm also in this boat! I guess getting a JS1 at all is a good sign. I'm not getting my hopes up, however.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 pm

SmellingRoses wrote:Just checking in (better late than never!).

Went Complete: 11/3
JS1 Invite: 11/28
JS1 Interview: 12/6

LSAT: 165 (I cry)
GPA: 3.85
Non-URM, but other diverse factors
Great softs
Already have an LL.M.

As far as I can tell, I’m one of the only non-URM that’s below the 25th LSAT to have a (relatively early) JS1... is anyone else in that boat? Should I take that as a good sign? TBH v shocked I even got a JS1 and would actually think there’s a mistake if I got a JS2 call.


That's awesome, best of luck

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am

maybeman wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hstrat wrote:Went complete 10/31, still no JS1... can I take that as a ding and stop stressing, do you think?

I've been complete since 10/13 with no JS1. You aren't alone.

75th GPA median LSAT, complete since September and no JS1 :cry: the pain is real

We're in the same boat here, maybeman....
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austinlove

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby austinlove » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

I think my js1 went very well but I have below median lsat, and I feel like that’s not an easy acceptance score this cycle.
Last edited by austinlove on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hstrat wrote:Went complete 10/31, still no JS1... can I take that as a ding and stop stressing, do you think?

I've been complete since 10/13 with no JS1. You aren't alone.

75th GPA median LSAT, complete since September and no JS1 :cry: the pain is real

We're in the same boat here, maybeman....

Hold me

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:48 pm

austinlove wrote:I think my js1 went very well but I have a 172, and I feel like that’s not an easy acceptance score this cycle.


I think an above median GPA would still give you an ok shot. Apps with scores like that have had a 50% chance according to LSN last cycle and dating back to the extremely competitive years.

User avatar
Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm

maybeman wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hstrat wrote:Went complete 10/31, still no JS1... can I take that as a ding and stop stressing, do you think?

I've been complete since 10/13 with no JS1. You aren't alone.

75th GPA median LSAT, complete since September and no JS1 :cry: the pain is real

We're in the same boat here, maybeman....

Hold me


Same for me (no JS1) though my LSAT is lower (between 25th and median) which I realize is possibly the issue.
Last edited by Bush v. Gorgeous on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squarerootofi

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby squarerootofi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Just got a JS 1!! Is 2 waves in one week even a thing??

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:08 pm

squarerootofi wrote:Just got a JS 1!! Is 2 waves in one week even a thing??

Congrats!!!!! Not sure about the schedule of waves at this point in the cycle. Mind if I ask if you're KJD?

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 pm

maybeman wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hstrat wrote:Went complete 10/31, still no JS1... can I take that as a ding and stop stressing, do you think?

I've been complete since 10/13 with no JS1. You aren't alone.

75th GPA median LSAT, complete since September and no JS1 :cry: the pain is real

We're in the same boat here, maybeman....

Hold me

*strokes blue fuzz softly*
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squarerootofi

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby squarerootofi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Nope, I'm about 2.5 years out of school. For others who might be curious:
Submitted 12/5
Complete 12/19
LSAT 175, GPA 3.9+ but below 75th, strong softs (PM for details)

Llamas

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Llamas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Does anyone know if you need to submit a Dean's certification form if you answered yes to the C&F question? HLS website seems to indicate that you only need to submit once admitted, but does that only apply for people who did not answer yes to any C&F? For example, other schools like Duke or NYU require submission WITH the application a Dean's certfication form if you answer Yes.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm

jkander31 wrote:
etramak wrote:
winmore1228 wrote:
etramak wrote:Didnt knock the interview out of the park but wasnt a disaster either. Hopefully hear back soon but I'm expecting to wait awhile


Why do you say that? I also had mine and felt the same way. I've heard that the interview is a (relatively) small piece of the puzzle and isn't usually the reason behind an admissions outcome.


Expecting to wait awhile because of stats, but the fact that I got a relatively quick JS1 was an encouraging sign as far as other aspects of the application go. As for the interview itself for the most part it went smoothly but i got nervous a couple times and either didn't speak too clearly or had to take a bit of a pause to gather my thoughts.



They interview roughly 1300-1500 applicants a year and accept roughly 900. Assuming you didn't butcher (I mean completely butcher) the interview, you are looking at a 60% - 70% chance at an offer of admission.


Define "butcher"

jkander31

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jkander31 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm

etramak wrote:
jkander31 wrote:
etramak wrote:
winmore1228 wrote:
etramak wrote:Didnt knock the interview out of the park but wasnt a disaster either. Hopefully hear back soon but I'm expecting to wait awhile


Why do you say that? I also had mine and felt the same way. I've heard that the interview is a (relatively) small piece of the puzzle and isn't usually the reason behind an admissions outcome.


Expecting to wait awhile because of stats, but the fact that I got a relatively quick JS1 was an encouraging sign as far as other aspects of the application go. As for the interview itself for the most part it went smoothly but i got nervous a couple times and either didn't speak too clearly or had to take a bit of a pause to gather my thoughts.



They interview roughly 1300-1500 applicants a year and accept roughly 900. Assuming you didn't butcher (I mean completely butcher) the interview, you are looking at a 60% - 70% chance at an offer of admission.


Define "butcher"


1) You are completely great on paper but can't speak proper English, curse often, degrading the interviewer, disrespectful .. etc.
2) You are not who you say you are.
3) You don't know your application
4) They catch you lying.

things of that nature.

User avatar
ArthurTimothyRead

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:09 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ArthurTimothyRead » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Any JS2 predictions? 1/25/18ish seems likely.

User avatar
TheKingLives

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:37 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby TheKingLives » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

.
Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm

TheKingLives wrote:I noticed on the application that there is a question about allowing HLS to send us texts. It's never been done but would anyone else love to get a JS1/2 via text?

I’d take a JS1 by carrier pigeon at this point.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests