Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

JS2s are upon us! What would you take over HLS? Anything?

HLS or bust, fam
63
18%
SLS/YLS
99
28%
T6 Full Tuition Scholly
87
25%
T6 w/ Money (< full)
31
9%
T6 Sticker
5
1%
T14 Full Tuition Scholly
47
13%
T14 w/ Money (< full)
16
5%
T14 Sticker
6
2%
 
Total votes: 354

lobsicle
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby lobsicle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm

mrsharveyspecter wrote:
lobsicle wrote:
TastyMango wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:

havent yall considered the fact that the first JS2 wave is smaller than the other waves because a smaller proportion of applicants get their stuff in before the end of November? im sure most people submit right around now which would preclude them from getting a first wave js2

and maybe that's why the scores seem to be better with the first wave: people with higher scores are more likely to get their stuff in early.

that doesn't mean that splitters or other people won't be in the first wave so let's all chill plz hunnie bunniez


I'm sure part of the reason the wave is smaller is because less people have submitted. But if you look at the chart linked, it shows both acceptance date and the date the person's application went complete. So if you just look at those that eventually get accepted and went complete before, say, November, it is clear that those above both 75ths make up a disproportionate amount of the first wave.

This doesn't mean just because you are above both 75ths you will be accepted in the first wave or that you need to be above both 75ths to be in the first wave. But there is clearly a bias.


mrsharveyspecter is saying that those that have high numbers may submit early, on average. So that there may in fact not be a bias.

edited for clarity


thank you Lobsicle for reading carefully :wink:


You're welcome! BUT I would wager that, in practice, there probably is at least a small bias towards very high LSATs/GPAs in early waves because adcomms know those admits won't hurt their medians. Those that are closer the medians may be left for later just in case the applicant pool ends up being stronger than expected, allowing room for schools to raise their medians.

User avatar
mrsharveyspecter
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby mrsharveyspecter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

lobsicle wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
lobsicle wrote:
TastyMango wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:

havent yall considered the fact that the first JS2 wave is smaller than the other waves because a smaller proportion of applicants get their stuff in before the end of November? im sure most people submit right around now which would preclude them from getting a first wave js2

and maybe that's why the scores seem to be better with the first wave: people with higher scores are more likely to get their stuff in early.

that doesn't mean that splitters or other people won't be in the first wave so let's all chill plz hunnie bunniez


I'm sure part of the reason the wave is smaller is because less people have submitted. But if you look at the chart linked, it shows both acceptance date and the date the person's application went complete. So if you just look at those that eventually get accepted and went complete before, say, November, it is clear that those above both 75ths make up a disproportionate amount of the first wave.

This doesn't mean just because you are above both 75ths you will be accepted in the first wave or that you need to be above both 75ths to be in the first wave. But there is clearly a bias.


mrsharveyspecter is saying that those that have high numbers may submit early, on average. So that there may in fact not be a bias.

edited for clarity


thank you Lobsicle for reading carefully :wink:


You're welcome! BUT I would wager that, in practice, there probably is at least a small bias towards very high LSATs/GPAs in early waves because adcomms know those admits won't hurt their medians. Those that are closer the medians may be left for later just in case the applicant pool ends up being stronger than expected, allowing room for schools to raise their medians.



of course. but all this wailing about how only >75% people will get in is ludicrous.

im positive that with strong enough softs, you're just as valuable and adcoms have an incentive to offer you an early JS2 before Y and S snatch you away.

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm

No JS1 yet but my GPA went from 3.82 to 3.85 after this semester. Probably won't matter much since I'm still just below median GPA but I'm holding out hope that this puts me marginally ahead of some other candidates lol.

User avatar
FriedChickenHero
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby FriedChickenHero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:No JS1 yet but my GPA went from 3.82 to 3.85 after this semester. Probably won't matter much since I'm still just below median GPA but I'm holding out hope that this puts me marginally ahead of some other candidates lol.


But Jimmy... You're supposed to be slippin...

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm

FriedChickenHero wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:No JS1 yet but my GPA went from 3.82 to 3.85 after this semester. Probably won't matter much since I'm still just below median GPA but I'm holding out hope that this puts me marginally ahead of some other candidates lol.


But Jimmy... You're supposed to be slippin...

That's what I thought was going to happen, I put in like no effort in class this semester and somehow ended up with my first 4.0 semester since Freshman year.

User avatar
feralflamingo
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
FriedChickenHero wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:No JS1 yet but my GPA went from 3.82 to 3.85 after this semester. Probably won't matter much since I'm still just below median GPA but I'm holding out hope that this puts me marginally ahead of some other candidates lol.


But Jimmy... You're supposed to be slippin...

That's what I thought was going to happen, I put in like no effort in class this semester and somehow ended up with my first 4.0 semester since Freshman year.

Motion to change Slippin' Jimmy's nick to Climbin' Jimmy

User avatar
mrsharveyspecter
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby mrsharveyspecter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
FriedChickenHero wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:No JS1 yet but my GPA went from 3.82 to 3.85 after this semester. Probably won't matter much since I'm still just below median GPA but I'm holding out hope that this puts me marginally ahead of some other candidates lol.


But Jimmy... You're supposed to be slippin...

That's what I thought was going to happen, I put in like no effort in class this semester and somehow ended up with my first 4.0 semester since Freshman year.

Motion to change Slippin' Jimmy's nick to Climbin' Jimmy


seconded :!: :!:

Llewellyon
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Llewellyon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 pm

So, based on historical data, we are expecting next Monday/Tuesday now for first JS2?

MonicaYoung_LOL
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Llewellyon wrote:So, based on historical data, we are expecting next Monday/Tuesday now for first JS2?


Yes--more than likely next Monday!

User avatar
mrsharveyspecter
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby mrsharveyspecter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
Llewellyon wrote:So, based on historical data, we are expecting next Monday/Tuesday now for first JS2?


Yes--more than likely next Monday!



Harvard College decisions came out today. Guess the Law School adcoms wanted their own special day :cry:

User avatar
dm1683
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dm1683 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 pm

At above both 75ths, no js1 yet, submitted day before Halloween. Kinda creeping up on panic mode.

Although I am kjd and have basically no softs. So that might explain it.

MonicaYoung_LOL
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

mrsharveyspecter wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
Llewellyon wrote:So, based on historical data, we are expecting next Monday/Tuesday now for first JS2?


Yes--more than likely next Monday!



Harvard College decisions came out today. Guess the Law School adcoms wanted their own special day :cry:


Jeez, I didn't read the College part and just got nervous lmao.

Platopus
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Platopus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm

dm1683 wrote:At above both 75ths, no js1 yet, submitted day before Halloween. Kinda creeping up on panic mode.

Although I am kjd and have basically no softs. So that might explain it.

Similar spot (except median LSAT), but complete a month earlier than you submitted. Holding out hope that kjd app evaluation is mostly being postponed :?

User avatar
dm1683
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dm1683 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:At above both 75ths, no js1 yet, submitted day before Halloween. Kinda creeping up on panic mode.

Although I am kjd and have basically no softs. So that might explain it.


173 is median. In any case, its still early

Oops my bad.

User avatar
april_ludgate
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby april_ludgate » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 pm

dm1683 wrote:At above both 75ths, no js1 yet, submitted day before Halloween. Kinda creeping up on panic mode.

Although I am kjd and have basically no softs. So that might explain it.


I'm a k-jd w no softs below 75 for gpa above 75 for lsat and i had my JS1. it's kinda random who gets what when. don't be nervous, it's too early to be nervous

User avatar
mrsharveyspecter
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby mrsharveyspecter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm

i wonder what the adcomms are doing with this blank, free week. no js1s and no special events as far as we can tell.

perhaps they're going over post JS1 files to admit a larger first js2 wave than past years?

LawSSS
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby LawSSS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 am

mrsharveyspecter wrote:i wonder what the adcomms are doing with this blank, free week. no js1s and no special events as far as we can tell.

perhaps they're going over post JS1 files to admit a larger first js2 wave than past years?


Taking the week to catch up on TLS posts

rideagain
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby rideagain » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am

LawSSS wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:i wonder what the adcomms are doing with this blank, free week. no js1s and no special events as far as we can tell.

perhaps they're going over post JS1 files to admit a larger first js2 wave than past years?


Taking the week to catch up on TLS posts

:lol:

38981928
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 38981928 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 am

april_ludgate wrote:
dm1683 wrote:At above both 75ths, no js1 yet, submitted day before Halloween. Kinda creeping up on panic mode.

Although I am kjd and have basically no softs. So that might explain it.


I'm a k-jd w no softs below 75 for gpa above 75 for lsat and i had my JS1. it's kinda random who gets what when. don't be nervous, it's too early to be nervous


I agree that it's probably totally random! I'm 75 < GPA, 25 < LSAT < 50, not K-JD, not URM, no legal background whatsoever and my softs/work is not that interesting IMO (lol) but my interviewer seemed super hyped about my resume/non-law experiences and how they could be useful in law. Could just have been having a good day but I'm gonna take it as a positive sign.

rideagain
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby rideagain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Who's ready for a super unproductive Monday/Tuesday?

MonicaYoung_LOL
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

rideagain wrote:Who's ready for a super unproductive Monday/Tuesday?


+1, it begins my finals week, so I'm going to need to be ready to work this weekend because there's no chance in hell that I'll be able to focus in the beginning of next week.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 8015
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Mikey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 am

for those who did the optional diversity statement, how long was yours?

User avatar
tmcauliffe96
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby tmcauliffe96 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

Mikey wrote:for those who did the optional diversity statement, how long was yours?


I didn't do one but I think the general consensus for a diversity statement is less than a page.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 8015
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Mikey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am

tmcauliffe96 wrote:
Mikey wrote:for those who did the optional diversity statement, how long was yours?


I didn't do one but I think the general consensus for a diversity statement is less than a page.

I figured. I think mine is going to come out to a little more than half a page so I was just wondering, thanks! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”