Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

JS2s are upon us! What would you take over HLS? Anything?

HLS or bust, fam
19%
SLS/YLS
27%
T6 Full Tuition Scholly
25%
T6 w/ Money (< full)
8%
T6 Sticker
2%
T14 Full Tuition Scholly
12%
T14 w/ Money (< full)
4%
T14 Sticker
2%

Total votes: 491

dm1683

Silver

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm

At this point if I don't get JS2 I am just withdrawing my apps and working for a year or two at a bank or something before reapplying. Between being waitlisted at Chi and not in the first round of acceptances at Mich it's pretty clear that K-JD is not a viable route for the T-14 anymore, at least for me.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:35 pm

pancakes4ever wrote:
etramak wrote:
ArthurTimothyRead wrote:Only a portion of those interviewees were sent on to faculty review, and the faculty review process is likely more straightforward than the adcom review process..
I was under the impression that all JS1s go onto faculty review
You're right according to this 2014 post:

http://hls.harvard.edu/inside-the-black ... s-process/

File checking and distribution --> admissions staff read --> JS1 --> faculty read --> final decision

I think the link is ambiguous about whether they send all interviewees to fr
We only send files off to faculty for review after the interview stage so that they can see all of the information about you, including our interview notes.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm

appind wrote:
pancakes4ever wrote:
etramak wrote:
ArthurTimothyRead wrote:Only a portion of those interviewees were sent on to faculty review, and the faculty review process is likely more straightforward than the adcom review process..

File checking and distribution --> admissions staff read --> JS1 --> faculty read --> final decision

We only send files off to faculty for review after the interview stage so that they can see all of the information about you, including our interview notes.
My assumption is that, if they don't send all off to faculty review, your interview would have to go extremely poorly to be in the reject pile. I also assume that if your file didn't get sent to faculty after JS1 you will be in the first ding wave that is (again, I assume) Monday the 29th or some time around then.

They only bother interviewing people who they find interesting or have the right numbers. It wouldn't make sense to hold off on faculty review unless you acted like a complete idiot during the JS1

pancakes4ever

New

Post by pancakes4ever » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:45 pm

appind wrote:
pancakes4ever wrote:
etramak wrote:

Ok, I get you. I guess not all interviewees go to faculty review, but all admits have been reviewed by faculty: "No offer of admission is ever made to HLS without a faculty member signing off. The faculty read helps us to be confident that if you are admitted, you can thrive here"

I'm having flashbacks to logical reasoning drills right now lol

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

dm1683 wrote:At this point if I don't get JS2 I am just withdrawing my apps and working for a year or two at a bank or something before reapplying. Between being waitlisted at Chi and not in the first round of acceptances at Mich it's pretty clear that K-JD is not a viable route for the T-14 anymore, at least for me.
I've experienced T14 abnormalities this cycle related to being KJD as well. Duke really stressed my KJD status in my scholarship interview and I think it also had something to do with my rejection from cornell and the silence I've gotten from Michigan. While these might have been for other reasons, I think me being KJD really has something to do with it. Only T14 that didn't seem to care at all was UVA, but then again I haven't gotten a scholarship offer yet (which I keep telling myself isn't unusual).

I'm still set on going next year, and if I don't get a good scholly offer from lower T14 or get into HLS I'll probably just go to WUSTL for free, which is still a good option for my goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

-
Last edited by jkander31 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:04 pm

-

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:04 pm

-

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:07 pm

How many waves of JS2's can we expect in total?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:09 pm

jkander31 wrote:How many waves of JS2's can we expect in total?
5 I think?

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm

principalagent wrote:
jkander31 wrote:How many waves of JS2's can we expect in total?
5 I think?
Oh wow, 5 JS2 waves. That's interesting. Sorry for the multiple posts my phone spazzed out.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 pm

pancakes4ever wrote:
appind wrote:
pancakes4ever wrote:
etramak wrote:

Ok, I get you. I guess not all interviewees go to faculty review, but all admits have been reviewed by faculty: "No offer of admission is ever made to HLS without a faculty member signing off. The faculty read helps us to be confident that if you are admitted, you can thrive here"

I'm having flashbacks to logical reasoning drills right now lol
you are probably right about how many make it from js1 to fr. I think the fr part of the process is more tricky than how it's normally seen. i speculate faculty cannot solely go by numbers when signing off due to wide range of numbers of those admitted at the extremes.

tortsilllustrated

New

Post by tortsilllustrated » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Can we ask Spivey about the FR?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:20 pm

tortsilllustrated wrote:Can we ask Spivey about the FR?
He probably wouldn't comment publicly on an individual schools' processes.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:53 pm

etramak wrote:
I am not sure if that's the case as I've seen some stuff about gre on his blog when only hls was considering it.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:56 pm

appind wrote:
etramak wrote:
I am not sure if that's the case as I've seen some stuff about gre on his blog when only hls was considering it.
To be fair ASU technically moved to the GRE first, and there was no way others weren't going to follow HLS's lead. That was never going to be an "individual process", and in a way, wasn't when he discussed it after Harvard moved in that direction.

Something specific like faculty review wouldn't be divulged outside of a high level.

aegor

Bronze

Post by aegor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:47 pm

My application went complete at the end of November. Is it abnormal that I have heard nothing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 pm

aegor wrote:My application went complete at the end of November. Is it abnormal that I have heard nothing?
I went complete 11/22 and haven't heard anything myself, so you're not alone, but some who went complete at the end of November have gotten JS1s.

naguib

New

Post by naguib » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:52 pm

fohner wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:Loving this, *wipes away snot and tears*
We don't need to give up for a while. Seems like there will still be around 10 more JS1 waves this cycle. I think the reason they haven't sent mine yet is that they're busy devising a brand new full ride scholarship to give me.
Is there data on when the JS1s go out for when people went complete?

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 am

is the % of js1s who get js2 higher for above-median numbers js1s than others?

tortsilllustrated

New

Post by tortsilllustrated » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 am

appind wrote:is the % of js1s who get js2 higher for above-median numbers js1s than others?
I think that’s a given

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2021hopeful

New

Post by 2021hopeful » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 am

hi late check-in! Short term lurker.

172/GPA>50/KJD
No JS1. Went complete in Oct.

Noticed others in somewhat similar situations stressing out, so I thought Id tell you you're not alone! I've had no luck with CC either though, so maybe theres just something catastrophically wrong with my app. :shock:

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:At this point if I don't get JS2 I am just withdrawing my apps and working for a year or two at a bank or something before reapplying. Between being waitlisted at Chi and not in the first round of acceptances at Mich it's pretty clear that K-JD is not a viable route for the T-14 anymore, at least for me.
I've experienced T14 abnormalities this cycle related to being KJD as well. Duke really stressed my KJD status in my scholarship interview and I think it also had something to do with my rejection from cornell and the silence I've gotten from Michigan. While these might have been for other reasons, I think me being KJD really has something to do with it. Only T14 that didn't seem to care at all was UVA, but then again I haven't gotten a scholarship offer yet (which I keep telling myself isn't unusual).

I'm still set on going next year, and if I don't get a good scholly offer from lower T14 or get into HLS I'll probably just go to WUSTL for free, which is still a good option for my goals.
I just wanted to add my experience regarding a couple of schools you mentioned, considering that I'm a K-JD myself. My total WE is of about 5 months of internship and I'm now enrolled in a graduate program (graduated from undergrad last April). Surely, the international status changes at least something in the decision process, even tho many internationals have considerable WE (according to our spreadsheet here on TLS we are K-JDs out of 13). Stats are 172/S, so pretty much same LSAT as yours but not even close to your stellar GPA!
I was among the first acceptances at Michigan and Cornell, and I got money from both, and in as well at GULC (if you include it in t14s). On the other hand, not a single word from UVA and Duke since mid sept, where Jimmy had the fastest turnaround possible! Nothing from UPenn as well, where you dm were accepted. Finally, same outcome as Jimmy at UCLA (waitlist, maybe YP or maybe not) and WUSTL (almost, I got no stipend :( ). Still absolutely nothing from H/S/Columbia/NYU.
So...
1) We are in the middle of the cycle, let's try to keep the stress down and see how it goes. Thinking about reapplying now makes no sense, let's talk about this in a couple of months in case one actually underperformed the cycle;
2) The K-JD status might explain some outcome but there is no clear pattern in it! I am 100% sure that having 2 years of WE would be so much better for everyone, but we cannot assume for example that Michigan doesn't take k-jd while UVA does. I couldn't believe it when I heard that Jimmy was dinged from Cornell, but he actually was in a very good company (wtf are they doing btw?). I thought dm was a great candidate for Chicago but hey, they are #4... Nobody has more than say 50/60% chances to get in no matter what, especially in a super competitive cycle!
3) T6 just started admitting people and there are still 10ish waves of JS1 to be released from Harvard. Do not give up until the cycle is over. There are so many reasons why someone can get into one school and not into another, all things being equal! Who the hell knows what's going on inside admission offices? (ed. Spivey does)
4) Finally, this is a super competitive cycle, and a very logical explanation for the feeling of underperforming your/our numbers (I still heard back from only 6 schools out of the 16 I applied to between Sept and Oct) is that having such an increase in candidates - with a proportional increase in good/great candidates - brings us K-JD out of the first waves of acceptances, no matter what the numbers are. If the amount of candidates with good numbers AND WE increased, well that's logical. Again, too early to call the cycle over! Never give up, never surrender!

Always rooting for you, you guys rock!
Yours, IL.

thsauddl

New

Post by thsauddl » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 am

Checking in! LSAT <25ths, had my JS1 in December. Non URM. I highly doubt I will get a JS2 given that my lsat is so low :cry:

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 pm

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I just wanted to add my experience regarding a couple of schools you mentioned, considering that I'm a K-JD myself. My total WE is of about 5 months of internship and I'm now enrolled in a graduate program (graduated from undergrad last April). Surely, the international status changes at least something in the decision process, even tho many internationals have considerable WE (according to our spreadsheet here on TLS we are K-JDs out of 13). Stats are 172/S, so pretty much same LSAT as yours but not even close to your stellar GPA!
I was among the first acceptances at Michigan and Cornell, and I got money from both, and in as well at GULC (if you include it in t14s). On the other hand, not a single word from UVA and Duke since mid sept, where Jimmy had the fastest turnaround possible! Nothing from UPenn as well, where you dm were accepted. Finally, same outcome as Jimmy at UCLA (waitlist, maybe YP or maybe not) and WUSTL (almost, I got no stipend :( ). Still absolutely nothing from H/S/Columbia/NYU.
So...
1) We are in the middle of the cycle, let's try to keep the stress down and see how it goes. Thinking about reapplying now makes no sense, let's talk about this in a couple of months in case one actually underperformed the cycle;
2) The K-JD status might explain some outcome but there is no clear pattern in it! I am 100% sure that having 2 years of WE would be so much better for everyone, but we cannot assume for example that Michigan doesn't take k-jd while UVA does. I couldn't believe it when I heard that Jimmy was dinged from Cornell, but he actually was in a very good company (wtf are they doing btw?). I thought dm was a great candidate for Chicago but hey, they are #4... Nobody has more than say 50/60% chances to get in no matter what, especially in a super competitive cycle!
3) T6 just started admitting people and there are still 10ish waves of JS1 to be released from Harvard. Do not give up until the cycle is over. There are so many reasons why someone can get into one school and not into another, all things being equal! Who the hell knows what's going on inside admission offices? (ed. Spivey does)
4) Finally, this is a super competitive cycle, and a very logical explanation for the feeling of underperforming your/our numbers (I still heard back from only 6 schools out of the 16 I applied to between Sept and Oct) is that having such an increase in candidates - with a proportional increase in good/great candidates - brings us K-JD out of the first waves of acceptances, no matter what the numbers are. If the amount of candidates with good numbers AND WE increased, well that's logical. Again, too early to call the cycle over! Never give up, never surrender!

Always rooting for you, you guys rock!
Yours, IL.
Excellent post! You're 100% right, its still early in the cycle and plenty of people have gotten into schools with $$$ extremely late (looking at you Chargers). KJD is only one theory for why some of my outcomes have gone the way they did, others include not showing enough interest, adcoms not liking my PS, my undergrad is a TTT where the median LSAT is a 143.

I'm not giving up on other schools but I would be perfectly happy going to one of the schools I'm already admitted to. Everything after that is a bonus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”