University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:02 pm

soljabunny wrote:
How was the transition down to California? Recently moved to Seattle and really love it, but not positive I want to be here my whole career. Was it reasonably easy to transition to another state? All I’ve read so far makes it seem like UW is amazing in Seattle and mediocre if you ever want to work anywhere else.


I'm interpreting "transition" as "finding a job," and not the other headaches of moving across state lines (which are myriad). Let me know if I'm wrong.

Summary: If you want to get to California, you can. Most don't, which is why it looks like UW doesn't do well here.

Several California law firms interview at UW for OCI. That was how I got my current job: I did OCI, got a summer associate gig, did that, and then came back after graduating and taking the bar exam. So it's not impossible on that front, although you, of course, would have more mid/big-law OCI options if you were at a California law school. A few of my classmates did the same and are here in California as well.

Some of my other classmates who are down here simply looked for jobs through alternative means, either by applying directly (outside of OCI), clerkships, or finding something after graduation. I know one person who is doing a JD Advantage type of job (he's really into health care policy and he's basically doing that, so I'm guessing he's satisfied with the outcome). Another managed to get an in-house counsel job at a start-up.

I don't think UW is "mediocre" in terms of its California presence because employers here don't want UW grads. I think the problem is UW grads are either from Washington/Seattle and want to stay there, or they love it so much they opt to stay there after graduation. Personally, I love Seattle and miss it a lot. I wasn't necessarily trying to end up in California, I was just being open minded about where and how to get the kind of job I wanted practicing the kind of law I wanted.

soljabunny
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby soljabunny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:09 pm

mcmand wrote:
soljabunny wrote:
How was the transition down to California? Recently moved to Seattle and really love it, but not positive I want to be here my whole career. Was it reasonably easy to transition to another state? All I’ve read so far makes it seem like UW is amazing in Seattle and mediocre if you ever want to work anywhere else.


I'm interpreting "transition" as "finding a job," and not the other headaches of moving across state lines (which are myriad). Let me know if I'm wrong.

Summary: If you want to get to California, you can. Most don't, which is why it looks like UW doesn't do well here.

Several California law firms interview at UW for OCI. That was how I got my current job: I did OCI, got a summer associate gig, did that, and then came back after graduating and taking the bar exam. So it's not impossible on that front, although you, of course, would have more mid/big-law OCI options if you were at a California law school. A few of my classmates did the same and are here in California as well.

Some of my other classmates who are down here simply looked for jobs through alternative means, either by applying directly (outside of OCI), clerkships, or finding something after graduation. I know one person who is doing a JD Advantage type of job (he's really into health care policy and he's basically doing that, so I'm guessing he's satisfied with the outcome). Another managed to get an in-house counsel job at a start-up.

I don't think UW is "mediocre" in terms of its California presence because employers here don't want UW grads. I think the problem is UW grads are either from Washington/Seattle and want to stay there, or they love it so much they opt to stay there after graduation. Personally, I love Seattle and miss it a lot. I wasn't necessarily trying to end up in California, I was just being open minded about where and how to get the kind of job I wanted practicing the kind of law I wanted.


I appreciate the reply! Just moved up to Seattle from a California earlier this year and I understand the hassle of moving out of state. Starting to love Seattle and could see myself here long term, but is nice to hear it’d be very possible to return home if I ended up wanting that.

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby rowdy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm

FYI I went under review in October. Some of y'all might want to check your status checker.

paralegaltolawyer3
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby paralegaltolawyer3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

.
Last edited by paralegaltolawyer3 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgecker
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby cgecker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

I've been under review since 10/16, submitted 10/12. Last year it looks like first decisions went out this Friday!

CoastieLaw21
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby CoastieLaw21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

cgecker wrote:I've been under review since 10/16, submitted 10/12. Last year it looks like first decisions went out this Friday!


I have the same UR date. It would be awesome to hear something this week.

llabr6132
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby llabr6132 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm

CoastieLaw21 wrote:
cgecker wrote:I've been under review since 10/16, submitted 10/12. Last year it looks like first decisions went out this Friday!


I have the same UR date. It would be awesome to hear something this week.


I also have the same UR date. Hopefully we hear some good news today!

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby rowdy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm

llabr6132 wrote:
CoastieLaw21 wrote:
cgecker wrote:I've been under review since 10/16, submitted 10/12. Last year it looks like first decisions went out this Friday!


I have the same UR date. It would be awesome to hear something this week.


I also have the same UR date. Hopefully we hear some good news today!


Calls went out a year ago today! I wonder if they do calls or emails.

paralegaltolawyer3
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby paralegaltolawyer3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 pm

.
Last edited by paralegaltolawyer3 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gmg
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby gmg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

I was pretty convinced all week that we were going to hear back today, but now I'm not so sure /:

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm

gmg wrote:I was pretty convinced all week that we were going to hear back today, but now I'm not so sure /:


Give it until 5pm. And don't obsess about it. There are any number of reasons you won't hear back quickly, and trying to speculate will just make you crazy.

If you have work today, focus on work. If not, do something immersive, like exercise, video games, etc.

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby rowdy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I take it no one heard back today, huh

gmg
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby gmg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

rowdy wrote:I take it no one heard back today, huh


Yup. I bet we probably won't hear back until December now.

paralegaltolawyer3
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby paralegaltolawyer3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm

.
Last edited by paralegaltolawyer3 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?

User avatar
TedBuckland
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby TedBuckland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Went UR today, complete 11/12

User avatar
abujabal
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby abujabal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 pm

mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


- Ideal outcome is Seattle PI work, so this is the ideal set-up
- In-state tuition/general low cost

User avatar
DorkothyParker
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby DorkothyParker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm

mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?

I am sure I mentioned this somewhere.

I am a Cascadian and want to settle down and live here for-ev-er.
UW is the top school in the region.
UW has student apartments at a reasonable cost for families w/ kids. (me!)
While I am out of state, I am fairly certain that between husbeast working full-time and offspring enrolled in public school, I should have in-state at least the 2nd & 3rd years.
Cost of out of state is the same as regional private schools, anyway.
Sister and BIL live in Seattle.
Bestie is moving to Seattle to be with her Googler BF next spring.
I love the ocean.

Other regionals are Seattle University & Lewis & Clark in Portland.

CoastieLaw21
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby CoastieLaw21 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm

mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


My husband is active duty Coast Guard so I’m trying to go to law school where my husband can get stationed. UW also has a great veterans network / will be tuition free with my post-9/11 GI Bill veterans benefits. I’ve also heard nothing but great things about the area.

When it comes to academics, Prof Craig Allen was an adjunct at the Coast Guard Academy. He was a great professor, and taking another class with him would be fantastic.

Ultimate goal of big law, but also hoping to take some Arctic law/environmental policy classes in addition to the typical classes in preparation for corporate litigation.

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 pm

CoastieLaw21 wrote:
mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


My husband is active duty Coast Guard so I’m trying to go to law school where my husband can get stationed. UW also has a great veterans network / will be tuition free with my post-9/11 GI Bill veterans benefits. I’ve also heard nothing but great things about the area.

When it comes to academics, Prof Craig Allen was an adjunct at the Coast Guard Academy. He was a great professor, and taking another class with him would be fantastic.

Ultimate goal of big law, but also hoping to take some Arctic law/environmental policy classes in addition to the typical classes in preparation for corporate litigation.


I had Allen for 1L civpro. I worked my ass off in that class. But he really teaches you. I lightly studied civpro for the bar exam and had few problems because he was so effective and comprehensive.

Unfortunately you don't get to pick your 1L profs, but cross your fingers that you'll get him. You'll be working hard but you really learn the stuff.

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?

I am sure I mentioned this somewhere.

I am a Cascadian and want to settle down and live here for-ev-er.
UW is the top school in the region.
UW has student apartments at a reasonable cost for families w/ kids. (me!)
While I am out of state, I am fairly certain that between husbeast working full-time and offspring enrolled in public school, I should have in-state at least the 2nd & 3rd years.
Cost of out of state is the same as regional private schools, anyway.
Sister and BIL live in Seattle.
Bestie is moving to Seattle to be with her Googler BF next spring.
I love the ocean.

Other regionals are Seattle University & Lewis & Clark in Portland.


UW seems like it's pretty solid for student-parents, though I can't speak to it perfectly as I don't have children. There's actually a room on the second floor that only student-parents can access. You can watch your class from there via live video with your child and (in theory) respond to questions from the professor, though I've never seen someone in the room cold-called from the classroom.

I'm convinced there's something in the water, though. Every year a handful of students are pregnant, and it is actually not unusual to encounter someone wheeling their newborn down the hallway or in the journal offices. One of my classmates had two babies while in law school.

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm

abujabal wrote:
mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


- Ideal outcome is Seattle PI work, so this is the ideal set-up
- In-state tuition/general low cost


You won't have a problem finding government/non-profit externships. And you should do all right finding a job after graduation, though it's still competitive. Wherever you're thinking you might want to work, be sure to extern/work there for at least a quarter or a summer. That's the best way to get in on an entry-level job opening. And save money for bar exam expenses during 3L, because even if you have a post-grad gig lined up with the government or a non-profit, they won't pay for that stuff.

User avatar
jellyjar
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby jellyjar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


I wanna do IP/tech law, and UW has a great program (and Seattle is obvi a tech hub). Plus I've been told I'd like the Northwest!

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby mcmand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm

jellyjar wrote:
mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


I wanna do IP/tech law, and UW has a great program (and Seattle is obvi a tech hub). Plus I've been told I'd like the Northwest!


Are you thinking patent prosecution or patent litigation, or more focused on trademarks and other soft IP (litigation or otherwise)?

User avatar
abujabal
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby abujabal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

mcmand wrote:
abujabal wrote:
mcmand wrote:In the name of distraction so you guys don't obsess too much about waiting for decisions:

What are everyone's reasons for applying to UW, for those who want to share?


- Ideal outcome is Seattle PI work, so this is the ideal set-up
- In-state tuition/general low cost


You won't have a problem finding government/non-profit externships. And you should do all right finding a job after graduation, though it's still competitive. Wherever you're thinking you might want to work, be sure to extern/work there for at least a quarter or a summer. That's the best way to get in on an entry-level job opening. And save money for bar exam expenses during 3L, because even if you have a post-grad gig lined up with the government or a non-profit, they won't pay for that stuff.


That's the hope! Seattle is home, so I definitely know I want to be here long-term, and that extends to the summers as well - would you recommend doing that for the course of 1L and 2L summers? Or should I try to "burnish" a resume with a DC gig or something? Though this is a lot of cart before horse talk I suppose




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”