Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How are y'all feeling?

Accepted, waitin on that scholly
56
34%
Accepted, ready to frolic through the Duke gardens
5
3%
Priority reserved but not feelin' like a priority :/
20
12%
Waiting on the adcoms to bless me with an RD acceptance
51
31%
IT'S DAY [X] AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING IS THAT NORMAL Y/N
28
17%
Haven't submitted, but I've got time
7
4%
 
Total votes: 167

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby proteinshake » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:26 pm

principalagent wrote:
SopranoSaxophone wrote:But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.


Everything I’ve read and been told says disclose liberally. It’s not just about Duke’s instructions - you have to supply a copy your application to the bar when you apply for membership, and your bar may have different disclosure rules. It’s just easier to lay everything out and no law school is going to hold being overly forthright against you; that’s reading into it way too much.

this. it's about the bar's character and fitness reqs, not Duke's.

User avatar
DistrictDisaster

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, PT. Admitted on day 9.

User avatar
chrysippusofsoli

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby chrysippusofsoli » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:Thanks guys! Yes, PT. Admitted on day 9.


Congrats! It's really nice to have such a good school as an option this early in the cycle.

50505050505050

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby 50505050505050 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 pm

Waitlisted. PT day 8

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 am

proteinshake wrote:
principalagent wrote:
SopranoSaxophone wrote:But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.


Everything I’ve read and been told says disclose liberally. It’s not just about Duke’s instructions - you have to supply a copy your application to the bar when you apply for membership, and your bar may have different disclosure rules. It’s just easier to lay everything out and no law school is going to hold being overly forthright against you; that’s reading into it way too much.

this. it's about the bar's character and fitness reqs, not Duke's.


And it's so easy to just err on the side of disclosing. Like 90% chance they don't care and what you think is minor actually is minor. In that case they skim it and go "pft what a dumb thing to have to disclose" (literally had a Prof say that to me in an acceptance call) 10% chance what you view as minor and what Duke views as minor are incongruous, in which case it doesn't matter because you've disclosed.

Look sax, you can do what you want re: disclosure, but I have to assume nobody thought an app wasn't following directions since I'm pretty sure everyone you're talking to about this was accepted last year or already in this cycle.

The not following directions thing would be a smaller issue than finding out in three years that Duke did in fact consider any ticket worth points or something as "major"

User avatar
SopranoSaxophone

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:And it's so easy to just err on the side of disclosing. Like 90% chance they don't care and what you think is minor actually is minor. In that case they skim it and go "pft what a dumb thing to have to disclose" (literally had a Prof say that to me in an acceptance call) 10% chance what you view as minor and what Duke views as minor are incongruous, in which case it doesn't matter because you've disclosed.

Look sax, you can do what you want re: disclosure, but I have to assume nobody thought an app wasn't following directions since I'm pretty sure everyone you're talking to about this was accepted last year or already in this cycle.

The not following directions thing would be a smaller issue than finding out in three years that Duke did in fact consider any ticket worth points or something as "major"


I agree with you that when there is any ambiguity, disclosure is best. But I'm talking about minor traffic violations only--things with no drug involvement, no recklessness, just simple moving violations. for example, you have a speeding ticket for 10mph over or less, and in your jurisdiction this ticket would never carry the potential risk of jail time and is not a misdemeanor but a noncriminal citation, wouldn't this constitute a "minor traffic violation?" There are several school websites (not Duke's) who specifically list a simple speeding ticket as falling under the umbrella of "minor traffic violations." I actually asked this question to several adcomms at a recent law fair and all of them said speeding ticket=minor traffic violation. I am hyper-diligent about trying to follow directions, and I want to disclose anything and everything I am asked to within the app, but I have up this this point considered not disclosing such an offense (simple speeding ticket) as simply following the directions when the app says not to disclose minor traffic violations.

If, however, certain state bars have some mental gymnastics approach to disclosure where they expect you to have disclosed things on your law school app that the law school app specifically said you shouldn't disclose, that is NEWS to me--and I imagine it is news to a lot of other applicants as well. Until this thread, I've never heard of any instance where a bar would expect you to ignore your law school's application questions when disclosing and just disclose anything and everything regardless of the text of the instructions, and worse, I've never heard of a bar that would punish you for following your application's directions. If true, that's a BIG DEAL, and it's worrisome.

So at this point, I'd ask that you point to any resource you know of that confirms the above scenario. I do not mean people who fail to disclose things they should have on their app. That is obvious! I mean, please point me to resources that confirm that certain state bars will expect you to have disclosed things on your law school application that the law school application specifically said not to disclose. I would be very interested in reading more about the specific scenario I've outlined. Thanks.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 am

SopranoSaxophone wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:And it's so easy to just err on the side of disclosing. Like 90% chance they don't care and what you think is minor actually is minor. In that case they skim it and go "pft what a dumb thing to have to disclose" (literally had a Prof say that to me in an acceptance call) 10% chance what you view as minor and what Duke views as minor are incongruous, in which case it doesn't matter because you've disclosed.

Look sax, you can do what you want re: disclosure, but I have to assume nobody thought an app wasn't following directions since I'm pretty sure everyone you're talking to about this was accepted last year or already in this cycle.

The not following directions thing would be a smaller issue than finding out in three years that Duke did in fact consider any ticket worth points or something as "major"


I agree with you that when there is any ambiguity, disclosure is best. But I'm talking about minor traffic violations only--things with no drug involvement, no recklessness, just simple moving violations. for example, you have a speeding ticket for 10mph over or less, and in your jurisdiction this ticket would never carry the potential risk of jail time and is not a misdemeanor but a noncriminal citation, wouldn't this constitute a "minor traffic violation?" There are several school websites (not Duke's) who specifically list a simple speeding ticket as falling under the umbrella of "minor traffic violations." I actually asked this question to several adcomms at a recent law fair and all of them said speeding ticket=minor traffic violation. I am hyper-diligent about trying to follow directions, and I want to disclose anything and everything I am asked to within the app, but I have up this this point considered not disclosing such an offense (simple speeding ticket) as simply following the directions when the app says not to disclose minor traffic violations.

If, however, certain state bars have some mental gymnastics approach to disclosure where they expect you to have disclosed things on your law school app that the law school app specifically said you shouldn't disclose, that is NEWS to me--and I imagine it is news to a lot of other applicants as well. Until this thread, I've never heard of any instance where a bar would expect you to ignore your law school's application questions when disclosing and just disclose anything and everything regardless of the text of the instructions, and worse, I've never heard of a bar that would punish you for following your application's directions. If true, that's a BIG DEAL, and it's worrisome.

So at this point, I'd ask that you point to any resource you know of that confirms the above scenario. I do not mean people who fail to disclose things they should have on their app. That is obvious! I mean, please point me to resources that confirm that certain state bars will expect you to have disclosed things on your law school application that the law school application specifically said not to disclose. I would be very interested in reading more about the specific scenario I've outlined. Thanks.


I'm not saying that a state bar would expect you to have disclosed a situation the school explicitly told you not to disclose. I'm just saying that "minor traffic violation" is an ambiguous situation and you don't want to end up in a situation in three years where you disclose everything and the school comes back and says "that was something you should have disclosed".

Again, you're free to do what you want, but I don't read "specifically said not to disclose" in the "minor traffic violations". It's honestly kinda dumb of Duke to throw such an ambiguous term at a bunch of law school applicants (and as you said not give any examples like other schools) but I see no downside in erring on the side of caution in disclosing. I'm really not trying to say you should do anything, and I struggled over disclosing last year, but honestly at the end of it it's such a tiny thing and I'm happy that I don't have to worry about any disclosure issues down the line

Effingham

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Effingham » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am

Yeah, you would be surprised how much the bar asks you to disclose, and they hate seeing any discrepancy between your bar application and your law school app. And they are shockingly bureaucratic and hate hearing arguments that go along the lines of "the question was ambiguous..." Or really any arguments at all.

User avatar
SopranoSaxophone

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'm not saying that a state bar would expect you to have disclosed a situation the school explicitly told you not to disclose. I'm just saying that "minor traffic violation" is an ambiguous situation and you don't want to end up in a situation in three years where you disclose everything and the school comes back and says "that was something you should have disclosed".

Again, you're free to do what you want, but I don't read "specifically said not to disclose" in the "minor traffic violations". It's honestly kinda dumb of Duke to throw such an ambiguous term at a bunch of law school applicants (and as you said not give any examples like other schools) but I see no downside in erring on the side of caution in disclosing. I'm really not trying to say you should do anything, and I struggled over disclosing last year, but honestly at the end of it it's such a tiny thing and I'm happy that I don't have to worry about any disclosure issues down the line


Yeah the ambiguous caveats in C&F app questions really suck. Schools could, for instance, just adopt the broadest disclosure questions possible ("Disclose any offense, conviction, ticket, ect.") which would at least be more intuitive for applicants and allow for more uniformity of responses among multiple apps. I would prefer this, honestly. I have no problem disclosing a traffic ticket or two. I'm not afraid it will affect my admissions chances. I have just been trying to follow directions thus far, perhaps too narrowly?

I guess our back-and-forth hinges on what Duke actually means when they refer to "minor traffic violations." After doing my own research earlier in the cycle, I have taken this to mean any simple moving violation for which jail time was not a potential penalty and for which a court appearance was not mandatory, excluding violations related to drugs, alcohol, or recklessness. So, to me, a speeding ticket falls under the umbrella of "minor traffic violation." However, I grant that you are right; there could potentially be a situation where Duke believes "minor" does not refer to a simple speeding ticket. I certainly think there is a strong case to be made that a speeding ticket is clearly a "minor traffic violation," but I guess a bar could be unconvinced if they too believe a speeding ticket cannot reasonably be interpreted to be "minor." I'm going to do more research first, but maybe there is a case to be made that I need to reach out to my "exclude minor traffic violations" apps and disclose a speeding ticket. I feel I will sound silly and ridiculous doing so, but perhaps it's the right call. We'll see. Thanks for the dialogue. The admissions process can be less-than-intuitive sometimes.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby proteinshake » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 pm

these paragraphs took longer to write than a disclosure statement

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 pm

The quality of the Duke Law Swag has increased over last year. Good to see them stepping up

RedPanda18

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby RedPanda18 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm

In! Notified by email. PT day 9.

oreoborealis

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby oreoborealis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Waitlisted PT on day 10 (168/3.58). At least I can stop feeling like I'm about to hurl every time I get a new email.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby dm1683 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:07 pm

In via PT on day 9. First acceptance, this feels good.

User avatar
soca_dancer

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby soca_dancer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 pm

dm1683 wrote:In via PT on day 9. First acceptance, this feels good.


Congrats!

User avatar
DistrictDisaster

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby DistrictDisaster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:56 am

Congrats to the others who got good news this week! My first acceptance too and kind of took the edge off. Kind of.

User avatar
thepsychedelic

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby thepsychedelic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm

In on PT day 8!! I was ready to wait the full 10 days but it feels nice to have an acceptance so early!!
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

yqjyqj

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby yqjyqj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:34 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:In on PT day 8!! I was ready to wait the full 10 days but it feels nice to have an acceptance so early!!


Congrats!

playmaker093

New
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby playmaker093 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Does anyone know if I’m on day 8 of priority track should a decision come today or would it come on the weekend?

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Ntp73821 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:37 pm

playmaker093 wrote:Does anyone know if I’m on day 8 of priority track should a decision come today or would it come on the weekend?


My decision came on my day 10, which was a Sunday.

edit: so don't count on today, count on Sunday since that's your day 10. It might come earlier but it's just as likely that it doesn't.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:14 pm

I just got the phattest stack of Duke Law lit (they even mentioned my research interests in the admissions letter). I'm thoroughly (if not easily) impressed.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby NavyNuke » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:22 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:I just got the phattest stack of Duke Law lit (they even mentioned my research interests in the admissions letter). I'm thoroughly (if not easily) impressed.


The Duke swag is impressive! And the touch of adding a bit from your PS in the letter is nice.

User avatar
PostNihilist

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby PostNihilist » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Any non-pt people go UR or get a decision yet?

hotdog96

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby hotdog96 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:44 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Any non-pt people go UR or get a decision yet?


UR since 10/31 here

ATXStudent

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby ATXStudent » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Any non-pt people go UR or get a decision yet?


Non - PT also; my status has said complete ready for review since October 16th.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests