Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

When are you applying?

September/I've already applied
21%
October
49%
November
21%
December
6%
2%

Total votes: 154

fulbrightinmexico

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby fulbrightinmexico » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:17 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:Got in at Duke! PT, answer on day 9.

Did you ever see this on your application status checker? I'm PT with a fee waiver, it's day 10, and when I check application status it says: "Info required; watch for email"?

I was in yesterday as well (via PT), but right now my status check still shows "Decision made; watch for email". So I don't think the status check changes to "Admitted" at this point.

Congrats! I'm just confused by "info required; watch for email" since I haven't gotten an email and am due to receive a decision by tomorrow, technically, though I'd assume I would get it tonight.

Ntp73821

Postby Ntp73821 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:17 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:

Did you ever see this on your application status checker? I'm PT with a fee waiver, it's day 10, and when I check application status it says: "Info required; watch for email"?

I was in yesterday as well (via PT), but right now my status check still shows "Decision made; watch for email". So I don't think the status check changes to "Admitted" at this point.

Yeah, but I think "Info required; watch for email" is different than "decision made; watch for email." Probably something missing from the app that they want. If KJD, they might be requesting Fall grades before making a decision. I saw they did that for quite a few people last cycle.

fulbrightinmexico

Postby fulbrightinmexico » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:

Yeah, but I think "Info required; watch for email" is different than "decision made; watch for email." Probably something missing from the app that they want. If KJD, they might be requesting Fall grades before making a decision. I saw they did that for quite a few people last cycle.

Hm, thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused as I'm out of school and the only addendum I submitted was about getting a disciplinary warning in college because I had a shot glass in my dorm room (our school was strict with "alcoholic beverage containers" lol). I am URM, currently a Fulbright Scholar, above 75th for GPA at an Ivy undergrad, and at median for LSAT. no clue what their question could be...

Ntp73821

Postby Ntp73821 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:47 pm

fulbrightinmexico wrote:Hm, thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused as I'm out of school and the only addendum I submitted was about getting a disciplinary warning in college because I had a shot glass in my dorm room (our school was strict with "alcoholic beverage containers" lol). I am URM, currently a Fulbright Scholar, above 75th for GPA at an Ivy undergrad, and at median for LSAT. no clue what their question could be...

Yeah, that's pretty weird then. I have no idea. Also, that's a pretty strict rule if you got in trouble for just a shot glass. :shock:

chrysippusofsoli

Postby chrysippusofsoli » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:49 pm

fulbrightinmexico wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:

Congrats! I'm just confused by "info required; watch for email" since I haven't gotten an email and am due to receive a decision by tomorrow, technically, though I'd assume I would get it tonight.

Thanks! For reference, I had numbers very similar to yours, though I'm not a URM. Good luck!

Postby AvatarMeelo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:28 pm

fulbrightinmexico wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:

Hm, thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused as I'm out of school and the only addendum I submitted was about getting a disciplinary warning in college because I had a shot glass in my dorm room (our school was strict with "alcoholic beverage containers" lol). I am URM, currently a Fulbright Scholar, above 75th for GPA at an Ivy undergrad, and at median for LSAT. no clue what their question could be...

Interview? Duke as far as I know does interviews on an invite-only basis.

fulbrightinmexico

Postby fulbrightinmexico » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:48 pm

clueless801 wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:

Interview? Duke as far as I know does interviews on an invite-only basis.

Would the interview be evaluative for admission? Or for $

Ntp73821

Postby Ntp73821 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:58 pm

If they ask for an interview, admission probably. They haven’t sent out the scholarship application yet and scholly interviews will come after that.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 am

I think I got the "Info Required" status like three years ago, and it ended up being that I needed to send a Dean Certification directly from my school.

That's the only thing I can think of, I didn't hear of any person getting an evaluative interview when I applied.

fulbrightinmexico

Postby fulbrightinmexico » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I think I got the "Info Required" status like three years ago, and it ended up being that I needed to send a Dean Certification directly from my school.

That's the only thing I can think of, I didn't hear of any person getting an evaluative interview when I applied.

yep!! all they needed was a dean's certification confirming that the shot glass possession incident (literally lol) was resolved in 2015

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

UR2......sweaty palms. Applied 10/22, complete 10/23.

InterLaw

Postby InterLaw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Just got UR! Finally! Applied early October... Come on this would be so great!

thsauddl

Postby thsauddl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. Are we required to report minor traffic tickets for Duke C&F? Little confused by their wording.

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:49 pm

thsauddl wrote:Hi everyone, new to the forum here. Are we required to report minor traffic tickets for Duke C&F? Little confused by their wording.

just do it to be safe, I did

thepsychedelic

Postby thepsychedelic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 pm

proteinshake wrote:
thsauddl wrote:Hi everyone, new to the forum here. Are we required to report minor traffic tickets for Duke C&F? Little confused by their wording.

Doesn't it say "any offense other than minor traffic violations"?

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

yeah, but everyone I knew from last cycle just went ahead and put everything. it's common practice.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I also just did it to be safe, seemed to work out :shrug:

SopranoSaxophone

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:29 pm

proteinshake wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

yeah, but everyone I knew from last cycle just went ahead and put everything. it's common practice.

But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.

principalagent

Postby principalagent » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.

Everything I’ve read and been told says disclose liberally. It’s not just about Duke’s instructions - you have to supply a copy your application to the bar when you apply for membership, and your bar may have different disclosure rules. It’s just easier to lay everything out and no law school is going to hold being overly forthright against you; that’s reading into it way too much.

Bojack93

Postby Bojack93 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.

I took this approach as well.

This doesn't at all relate to Duke admissions decisions, but on the subject of C&F, I can't get over this excerpt from Emory's instructions:

"Sample Scenario 2: During orientation, Sam was cited for playing his radio too loudly in the dorm. The floor RA told Sam never to do it again and required Sam write an e-mail of apology.

Sam should disclose this incident."

Um. Why.

SopranoSaxophone

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 pm

principalagent wrote:
SopranoSaxophone wrote:But if Duke specifically says they do not need you to disclose "minor traffic violations," why would you disclose minor traffic violations? Their C&F section not a trick question, I assure you! Disclosing something that they told you was not necessary to disclose can be seen as not following directions.

Everything I’ve read and been told says disclose liberally. It’s not just about Duke’s instructions - you have to supply a copy your application to the bar when you apply for membership, and your bar may have different disclosure rules. It’s just easier to lay everything out and no law school is going to hold being overly forthright against you; that’s reading into it way too much.

From what I have read, state bars will not expect you to have disclosed, say, a speeding ticket on your law school app if the school said that it did not need to be disclosed on the app. So long as you follow the rules as outlined in the app, you can disclose the speeding ticket for your bar without running afoul of any lack-of-disclosure consequences. This of course would be different if the app did request speeding ticket disclosure. I am pro-disclosure when there is any ambiguity, but if an app says "excluding minor traffic violations," I have been led to believe you will be okay if you, well, exclude your minor traffic violations.

If this is not the case: a) It feels like C&F questions with caveat exclusions are written to be traps and b) I have screwed up several of my apps by excluding a minor traffic violation when the prompt said to exclude it.

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:57 pm

In!

KENYADIGG1T

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:In!

As in, admitted? CONGRATS - WELCOME TO THE CLUB

NavyNuke

Postby NavyNuke » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:21 pm