Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

When are you applying?

September/I've already applied
35
19%
October
84
46%
November
45
24%
December
13
7%
2018
7
4%
 
Total votes: 184

User avatar
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:Is it super extra to email them asking for priority track? I got it last year but ended up not going to any law school, and I don't really want to wait...(my lsat score is higher this year too...)


Nah hit them up, I did it when I applied last year. If you have an old score it can be hard for them to see you, they responded to me saying that they'd definitely give it to me again so you should be fine

albinododobird
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby albinododobird » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 am

Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.

User avatar
wmbuff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby wmbuff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am

Finally submitted my app. Time to wait nervously, then probably to ride the waitlist.

wsq01
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby wsq01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 am

wsq01 wrote:ED and sitting at completed for almost a month now :? Normal or are they ghosting me and I should expect a defer or rejection?


Just went UR :shock: Submitted 10/18 ED

lawcurious909
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby lawcurious909 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby usaorbust » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm

albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?

lawcurious909
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby lawcurious909 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm

usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?



I was RD

albinododobird
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby albinododobird » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm

usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?


RD.

Also not PT. One thing I'm curious about: When you look at the admissions graphs on myLSN, there's a pretty clear pattern of people being accepted a short period of time after applying. Does that promptness in handing out decisions only apply to people who applied PT? Or should I hope to hear back relatively soon anyway?

User avatar
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:51 pm

albinododobird wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?


RD.

Also not PT. One thing I'm curious about: When you look at the admissions graphs on myLSN, there's a pretty clear pattern of people being accepted a short period of time after applying. Does that promptness in handing out decisions only apply to people who applied PT? Or should I hope to hear back relatively soon anyway?


Last year RD took a long time, don't know if it'll hold this year but I'm guessing the phenomenon is due to PT

User avatar
OhMyLaw
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby OhMyLaw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
albinododobird wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?


RD.

Also not PT. One thing I'm curious about: When you look at the admissions graphs on myLSN, there's a pretty clear pattern of people being accepted a short period of time after applying. Does that promptness in handing out decisions only apply to people who applied PT? Or should I hope to hear back relatively soon anyway?


Last year RD took a long time, don't know if it'll hold this year but I'm guessing the phenomenon is due to PT


Just another data point but I've been UR since 10/23 lol so I would assume similar pattern timeline wise to last year

hopefullya1L
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby hopefullya1L » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

OhMyLaw wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
albinododobird wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?


RD.

Also not PT. One thing I'm curious about: When you look at the admissions graphs on myLSN, there's a pretty clear pattern of people being accepted a short period of time after applying. Does that promptness in handing out decisions only apply to people who applied PT? Or should I hope to hear back relatively soon anyway?


Last year RD took a long time, don't know if it'll hold this year but I'm guessing the phenomenon is due to PT


Just another data point but I've been UR since 10/23 lol so I would assume similar pattern timeline wise to last year


Anyone think I should be worried? Have been complete since 10/19 and am still not UR.

User avatar
OhMyLaw
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby OhMyLaw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm

hopefullya1L wrote:
OhMyLaw wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
albinododobird wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Just went UR. Was complete on 10/30.



lawcurious909 wrote:Just went UR as well.

Submitted 11/02


RD or ED?


RD.

Also not PT. One thing I'm curious about: When you look at the admissions graphs on myLSN, there's a pretty clear pattern of people being accepted a short period of time after applying. Does that promptness in handing out decisions only apply to people who applied PT? Or should I hope to hear back relatively soon anyway?


Last year RD took a long time, don't know if it'll hold this year but I'm guessing the phenomenon is due to PT


Just another data point but I've been UR since 10/23 lol so I would assume similar pattern timeline wise to last year


Anyone think I should be worried? Have been complete since 10/19 and am still not UR.


Hmm I personally don't think so based on last year's pattern. If I recall correctly, a lot of people went UR in the spring and then heard back/got accepted a few weeks later. They're probs just busy with PT ppl.

Revelator 12
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Revelator 12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby usaorbust » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Revelator 12 wrote:Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.


Congrats! And dang, I submitted a week after you and haven't even gone UR

Revelator 12
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Revelator 12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

usaorbust wrote:
Revelator 12 wrote:Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.


Congrats! And dang, I submitted a week after you and haven't even gone UR


Thanks!

So, I wasn't offered PT, which was fine, but I emailed them to attempt to solicit it and received a nice response from Dean Hoye stating that while I couldn't receive PT, that they would review my application as soon as they could. I think making contact helped show my interest and helped with turnaround. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon!

lobsicle
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby lobsicle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Revelator 12 wrote:Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.


Congrats! Did your status checker happen to change before/after acceptance?

Revelator 12
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Revelator 12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 pm

lobsicle wrote:
Revelator 12 wrote:Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.


Congrats! Did your status checker happen to change before/after acceptance?


I checked this morning around 10 and it hadn't changed. I received the email from Dean Hoye half an hour ago. Checked status and it currently states 'Decision made; watch for email'. Seems like email and tracker update were concurrent.

50505050505050
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby 50505050505050 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:06 pm

I applied PT and was waitlisted earlier this month. Is there a standard wisdom for getting off of waitlists? I didn't submit a Why Duke, because I didn't feel that I could write a sincere one. They're a great school but beyond telling them that, I'm not sure what to say. My personal statement talked about an interest in one of their clinics. I also probably won't be able to visit the campus.

Should I take a stab at one and risk it sounding insincere? Or should I just ride out the waitlist and hope I get in off of it eventually?

User avatar
Ntp73821
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:08 pm

50505050505050 wrote:I applied PT and was waitlisted earlier this month. Is there a standard wisdom for getting off of waitlists? I didn't submit a Why Duke, because I didn't feel that I could write a sincere one. They're a great school but beyond telling them that, I'm not sure what to say. My personal statement talked about an interest in one of their clinics. I also probably won't be able to visit the campus.

Should I take a stab at one and risk it sounding insincere? Or should I just ride out the waitlist and hope I get in off of it eventually?


This is just my opinion but I think your chances of getting in off the waitlist are significantly lower without writing a Why Duke. It's really not that hard to make one page sound sincere.

50505050505050
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby 50505050505050 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:I applied PT and was waitlisted earlier this month. Is there a standard wisdom for getting off of waitlists? I didn't submit a Why Duke, because I didn't feel that I could write a sincere one. They're a great school but beyond telling them that, I'm not sure what to say. My personal statement talked about an interest in one of their clinics. I also probably won't be able to visit the campus.

Should I take a stab at one and risk it sounding insincere? Or should I just ride out the waitlist and hope I get in off of it eventually?


This is just my opinion but I think your chances of getting in off the waitlist are significantly lower without writing a Why Duke. It's really not that hard to make one page sound sincere.


Right, I can tell them that their school is great and say that they have stellar clerkship placement in a sincere way. Is it okay to just write about that? For UVA and UM I wrote about alumni connections or actually having been on campus and stuff like that. I don't have anything like that to say about Duke though.
I wrote in my PS about the type of law I would be interested in practicing and clinics at duke that I would be interested in. What is there to touch on outside of that?

User avatar
Ntp73821
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm

50505050505050 wrote:Right, I can tell them that their school is great and say that they have stellar clerkship placement in a sincere way. Is it okay to just write about that? For UVA and UM I wrote about alumni connections or actually having been on campus and stuff like that. I don't have anything like that to say about Duke though.
I wrote in my PS about the type of law I would be interested in practicing and clinics at duke that I would be interested in. What is there to touch on outside of that?

You can definitely write about clerkship rates, talk more in-depth about your interest in the clinics, even talk about things in Durham that interest you. All of these can be found with minimal googling and having one person read over it for sincerity could probably help you avoid your fear of sounding insincere.

albinododobird
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby albinododobird » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Revelator 12 wrote:Just accepted - NOT PT

Submitted 10/23; went UR 11/6. Decisions going out, yo.


THANKS

User avatar
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 pm

50505050505050 wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:I applied PT and was waitlisted earlier this month. Is there a standard wisdom for getting off of waitlists? I didn't submit a Why Duke, because I didn't feel that I could write a sincere one. They're a great school but beyond telling them that, I'm not sure what to say. My personal statement talked about an interest in one of their clinics. I also probably won't be able to visit the campus.

Should I take a stab at one and risk it sounding insincere? Or should I just ride out the waitlist and hope I get in off of it eventually?


This is just my opinion but I think your chances of getting in off the waitlist are significantly lower without writing a Why Duke. It's really not that hard to make one page sound sincere.


Right, I can tell them that their school is great and say that they have stellar clerkship placement in a sincere way. Is it okay to just write about that? For UVA and UM I wrote about alumni connections or actually having been on campus and stuff like that. I don't have anything like that to say about Duke though.
I wrote in my PS about the type of law I would be interested in practicing and clinics at duke that I would be interested in. What is there to touch on outside of that?


Fyi, I wrote about their campus (emphasis on the region) without having been on it. I also talked about student culture which they emphasize heavily and is important to me, info on those can be found online

User avatar
Ntp73821
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Fyi, I wrote about their campus (emphasis on the region) without having been on it. I also talked about student culture which they emphasize heavily and is important to me, info on those can be found online


I also did this. I met Dean Hoye at an event and he stressed Duke’s collaborative atmosphere so I talked about that some.

PWADatUNC
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Postby PWADatUNC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Just went UR2, on day 8 of PT so I'm expecting my decision Thursday, or maybe tomorrow evening if I'm lucky :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack_Kelly, yearsandyears and 9 guests