International Applicants 2017-2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you already apply? (If so, fill in the spreadsheet in the first post!)

YES!
71%
No (waiting for evaluations/LORs/...)
16%
No (waiting for December LSAT)
13%

Total votes: 56

InterLaw

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2017-2018

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 am

tsf wrote:Finally got some good news this cycle! In at Columbia!!
Also JS1 in December, but nothing else so far from Harvard, so I'm guessing that's probably not happening...
Columbia's great! Congrats!

I got WL by UPenn

tsf

New

Post by tsf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:11 am

InterLaw wrote:
Also JS1 in December, but nothing else so far from Harvard, so I'm guessing that's probably not happening...
Columbia's great! Congrats!

I got WL by UPenn
Thanks! And congrats to you too!!

lqyzoe

New

Post by lqyzoe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you are applying for AJD programs (like Emory, ASU, etc.) and have heard back from law schools?

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Congrats!!! and no worries there, it's better than having a jsnone (me). Would you actually consider going to Columbia at sticker though? I got in as well, and I honestly can't even think of doing 300k (at least) in debt.
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 am

feralflamingo wrote:
Congrats!!! and no worries there, it's better than having a jsnone (me). Would you actually consider going to Columbia at sticker though? I got in as well, and I honestly can't even think of doing 300k (at least) in debt.
Congrats to both!! I still did not hear anything from Columbia and, even though it would be one of my first choices no brainer, the very small chance of getting in with a scholarship makes me think that should I be admitted at sticker I'd use it mainly for scholly negotiation...

I reeeeeeeaaaally don't see myself going into 300k debt.

Also, since we are not eligible for public loans and we need a co-signer for a private one, how would you do it? Do you have some American friend who would be fine in co-sign a loan for 300k? Or even just 150? :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am

Flowerchomper

New

Post by Flowerchomper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:46 pm

VanillaSalt wrote:Just wondering, are there any applicants from Singapore here?
Hi! A little late but I’m from Sg but have been living abroad for some time. PM me!

pitter

New

Post by pitter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:48 am

I am not faring well this cycle and have been ghosted by most schools. Applied to 14 schools.

IN at Cornell ( only$), G’town, WUSTL (full ride) and Vanderbilt
DINGED at Berkeley
Ghosted by UMich, NU since November, UVA, Duke, Harvard, Columbia, UChi, NYU, Penn since December / January ( Duke: non-Pt and still queued for review , and for other schools still UR1)

Applied to some schools in November and the rest of the higher T14s after I got my Dec score back in December. After two 168s and and a 167, I landed at 17[x] , x : 0 to 2,national, K-JD,very good GPA in a top undergrad in China.( please don’t quote!)

I know that the number of applicants this cycle has increased compared to previous years and patience is an important virtue, but I wouldn’t be surprised to burst out crying after a few months. I would really like to work for public interest so minimizing debt while aiming for PI focused T14 schools like UMich and NYU is currently my goal. I hoped higher LSAT score would help me in admission so I feel really bummed :(

I was pretty confident with my public interest focused experience and personal statement, but I guess admission is harder for international applicants:(
Last edited by pitter on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnglishApplicant2017

New

Post by EnglishApplicant2017 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 am

pitter wrote:I am not faring well this cycle and have been ghosted by most schools. Applied to 14 schools.
I wouldn't feel too discouraged if I were you. I felt like I was being ghosted by most schools and was getting v down about it but somehow got into Harvard and Columbia this week! It only takes a couple of pieces of good news (or even just one) to turn around your entire perspective. A lot of schools have been v slow in getting back to students this year, due to the increase in apps. I applied in October but am still yet to hear back from NYU, Michigan and Penn amongst others. As I understand it, most domestic Dec/Jan applicants are still UR1 at NYU etc. Remember: not hearing back =/= getting dinged.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

magic

New

Post by magic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 am

InterLaw wrote:
Well, I heard back from 4/16 (Mich, GULC, WUSTL and GWU).
pitter wrote: IN at Cornell ( only$), G’town, WUSTL (full ride) and Vanderbilt

Congrats on the acceptances, @InterLaw and @pitter! How did GULC send your acceptance letter? FedEx/UPS?

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:49 pm

magic wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Well, I heard back from 4/16 (Mich, GULC, WUSTL and GWU).
pitter wrote: IN at Cornell ( only$), G’town, WUSTL (full ride) and Vanderbilt

Congrats on the acceptances, @InterLaw and @pitter! How did GULC send your acceptance letter? FedEx/UPS?
I honestly have no idea... it was just a letter from GULC with no further envelopment!

twtwtwtw

New

Post by twtwtwtw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 pm

-

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Has anyone else been having problems with T30 schools? Have a 166/AA. Applied to GW and UC Davis in Oct - got WLd at GW. Still haven't heard back from UC Davis and am worried about the same outcome. From what I can see, this year is even more tough and unpredictable for intl apps as last year :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

saraduboi1995

New

Post by saraduboi1995 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:54 pm

EnglishApplicant2017 wrote:
pitter wrote:I am not faring well this cycle and have been ghosted by most schools. Applied to 14 schools.
I wouldn't feel too discouraged if I were you. I felt like I was being ghosted by most schools and was getting v down about it but somehow got into Harvard and Columbia this week! It only takes a couple of pieces of good news (or even just one) to turn around your entire perspective. A lot of schools have been v slow in getting back to students this year, due to the increase in apps. I applied in October but am still yet to hear back from NYU, Michigan and Penn amongst others. As I understand it, most domestic Dec/Jan applicants are still UR1 at NYU etc. Remember: not hearing back =/= getting dinged.
Which uni did you go to? I take it you got a first-class honours? with a 172 LSAT was it?

andychen

New

Post by andychen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 pm

pezberri wrote:Has anyone else been having problems with T30 schools? Have a 166/AA. Applied to GW and UC Davis in Oct - got WLd at GW. Still haven't heard back from UC Davis and am worried about the same outcome. From what I can see, this year is even more tough and unpredictable for intl apps as last year :/

you are very likely get off from wl of gw. so just wait and do not go to uc davis. obviously Gw is much better than UC DAvis, especially for you are politics
background.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Just got WLd at USC with a 166/AA. This cycle is absolutely brutal

EnglishApplicant2017

New

Post by EnglishApplicant2017 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 am

saraduboi1995 wrote:
Which uni did you go to? I take it you got a first-class honours? with a 172 LSAT was it?
Hey, apologies. Didn't intend to ghost you but I've sort of moved over the TLS and haven't been checking this thread anywhere near as frequently as I was. I'm a final year student at the University of Leeds, on track for a First, yes but still got a couple of essays left and a dissertation to hand in. 172, yep. Hope that helps! Good luck to you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fv053

New

Post by fv053 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am

EnglishApplicant2017 wrote:
Hey, apologies. Didn't intend to ghost you but I've sort of moved over the TLS and haven't been checking this thread anywhere near as frequently as I was. I'm a final year student at the University of Leeds, on track for a First, yes but still got a couple of essays left and a dissertation to hand in. 172, yep. Hope that helps! Good luck to you!
Does that mean that your Superior LSAC evaluation was only based on your first 2 years?

EnglishApplicant2017

New

Post by EnglishApplicant2017 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:26 pm

fv053 wrote: Does that mean that your Superior LSAC evaluation was only based on your first 2 years?
Yes.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Re-did my essay and got into Emory with great $$ only a week after applying! Absolutely thrilled.

fv053

New

Post by fv053 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 am

Can the Yale admit please share some insight on their application? (Based on the recently updated spreadsheet). I'm planning on applying to Yale next cycle and would appreciate it! I am also attending a UK Uni.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am

fv053 wrote:Can the Yale admit please share some insight on their application? (Based on the recently updated spreadsheet). I'm planning on applying to Yale next cycle and would appreciate it! I am also attending a UK Uni.
I'm not the yale admit, but I had a friend who was a few years ago. He was Oxbridge, first class undergrad, first class masters, an URM, and had a 176 lsat.

realsonnyp

New

Post by realsonnyp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 am

InterLaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
UVA. This is painful. Why? What did we do to you? I wanted to go there so much… But man! ABA says 3.7 n/r aliens a year (lowest) and 0 unreported GPAs (lowest). MYlsn says 13.64% a.r. (2nd lowest, 6/44), 0% mid acceptance rate (lowest, 0/17!). If you really want to go to Charlottesville (bad timing for that), just apply early (33%, 5/15) and hope. If you are a full international (you don’t have a GPA) start considering other options.
Admittedly I was in the class of 2014, so admission was a while ago now, but I had no problem with UVA handling my application. I was ED for various reasons that made sense in the mad world that existed back then, but I was accepted inside 24 hours of applying.
Well that is a great news, even though those numbers are still less than encouraging... Would you mind sharing a bit more about your app, like numbers or geographic provenience? Did you attend college in the US?

But most of all: are you glad of your choice? Would you recommend it to us?
Sure, I attended an average school (far from Oxbridge or even LSE) in the UK. Graduated with a 2:2. Classified as above average.

Non traditional applicant, so lots of work experience. No nobel prizes or anything like that. LSAT was 173. I was, however, in-state at the time of applying.

As for whether I would recommend UVA? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. I loved my three years there, the atmosphere is incredibly collegial. Professors are brilliant, engaging and genuinely want you to enjoy your time studying.

If you're looking at other schools, ask some alumni if they had fun and enjoyed their time at law school. Hopefully the answer is yes, because UVA demonstrates in class after class that s great legal education doesn't have to be miserable.
Well thanks for the insight! I'm gonna apply to UVA in a couple of days, finger crossed!!
Haburo wrote:UK applicant here. How do we get fee waivers?
You can find a standardized e-mail to send in this website! Basically write your LSAT score and gpa evaluation and hope...
Any chance you could link that? US National but studying in the UK, hoping I can get a waiver

saraduboi1995

New

Post by saraduboi1995 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
fv053 wrote:Can the Yale admit please share some insight on their application? (Based on the recently updated spreadsheet). I'm planning on applying to Yale next cycle and would appreciate it! I am also attending a UK Uni.
I'm not the yale admit, but I had a friend who was a few years ago. He was Oxbridge, first class undergrad, first class masters, an URM, and had a 176 lsat.
an intl. URM or US citizen?

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 pm

realsonnyp wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
UVA. This is painful. Why? What did we do to you? I wanted to go there so much… But man! ABA says 3.7 n/r aliens a year (lowest) and 0 unreported GPAs (lowest). MYlsn says 13.64% a.r. (2nd lowest, 6/44), 0% mid acceptance rate (lowest, 0/17!). If you really want to go to Charlottesville (bad timing for that), just apply early (33%, 5/15) and hope. If you are a full international (you don’t have a GPA) start considering other options.
Admittedly I was in the class of 2014, so admission was a while ago now, but I had no problem with UVA handling my application. I was ED for various reasons that made sense in the mad world that existed back then, but I was accepted inside 24 hours of applying.
Well that is a great news, even though those numbers are still less than encouraging... Would you mind sharing a bit more about your app, like numbers or geographic provenience? Did you attend college in the US?

But most of all: are you glad of your choice? Would you recommend it to us?
Sure, I attended an average school (far from Oxbridge or even LSE) in the UK. Graduated with a 2:2. Classified as above average.

Non traditional applicant, so lots of work experience. No nobel prizes or anything like that. LSAT was 173. I was, however, in-state at the time of applying.

As for whether I would recommend UVA? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. I loved my three years there, the atmosphere is incredibly collegial. Professors are brilliant, engaging and genuinely want you to enjoy your time studying.

If you're looking at other schools, ask some alumni if they had fun and enjoyed their time at law school. Hopefully the answer is yes, because UVA demonstrates in class after class that s great legal education doesn't have to be miserable.
Well thanks for the insight! I'm gonna apply to UVA in a couple of days, finger crossed!!
Haburo wrote:UK applicant here. How do we get fee waivers?
You can find a standardized e-mail to send in this website! Basically write your LSAT score and gpa evaluation and hope...
Any chance you could link that? US National but studying in the UK, hoping I can get a waiver
Sorry pal, didn't log in in quite a long time... The link seems to be down at the moment, I bet it's gonna open around september with the next cycle!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”