Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 118

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am

Applied mid-Oct. and interviewed mid-Dec. Thought it went okay.

I know, realistically speaking, that the fact that I didn't get in during the large-ish non-scholarship wave last week means I'm getting waitlisted. But I really wish they would give out the Butlers this week, because until that wave happens and I don't get one, there will always be this sad little thread of hope that wonders if somehow, despite LSAT, I might still be in the running?

I'm embarrassed to even admit that I have entertained that hope. I'd like to kill that hope please - the sooner I accept WL, the better for my sanity. Let's do that today please, Columbia AdComms.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 am

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:Applied mid-Oct. and interviewed mid-Dec. Thought it went okay.

I know, realistically speaking, that the fact that I didn't get in during the large-ish non-scholarship wave last week means I'm getting waitlisted. But I really wish they would give out the Butlers this week, because until that wave happens and I don't get one, there will always be this sad little thread of hope that wonders if somehow, despite LSAT, I might still be in the running?

I'm embarrassed to even admit that I have entertained that hope. I'd like to kill that hope please - the sooner I accept WL, the better for my sanity. Let's do that today please, Columbia AdComms.

Realistically speaking you have a very good shot at Stanford and Harvard which puts you in fantastic contention for the Butler.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 am

etramak wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:Applied mid-Oct. and interviewed mid-Dec. Thought it went okay.

Realistically speaking you have a very good shot at Stanford and Harvard which puts you in fantastic contention for the Butler.

This is very kind and the sad thread of hope just beamed a bit. Thank you. I'm not sure though - this year, as we all know, seems to be brutal. I'm on 3+ months and no JS1. I guess to be honest I never dreamed I'd get into Harvard or Stanford (trying for both anyway) but hoped my tiny hope for Columbia.

Bronze

Postby 38981928 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:

This is very kind and the sad thread of hope just beamed a bit. Thank you. I'm not sure though - this year, as we all know, seems to be brutal. I'm on 3+ months and no JS1. I guess to be honest I never dreamed I'd get into Harvard or Stanford (trying for both anyway) but hoped my tiny hope for Columbia.

I think it's easy to get super wrapped up and stressed when seeing all these amazing results from people on TLS. I certainly feel that way, at least! But after drinking a whole bottle of wine and a giant tub of ice cream last night feeling sorry for myself, I realized how ridiculous I was being because I already have great acceptances and scholarships. With your numbers, I'm sure you have had some really great outcomes as well! It's hard to feel ignored by your top choices, but I'm sure you've gotten into amazing schools which are other people's dream schools! I also think you're a great candidate for the Butler, by the way!

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

Curious if any admitted students have heard about PI fellowships/schollies or any other non-Hammy scholarships?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

letmelearnlaws

New

Postby letmelearnlaws » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:08 am

Is it normal to get in without interviewing? I’m 3.73/172 and didn’t get an interview request. Applied 12/10, went complete 12/27. But no interview request... should I be worried?

Bronze

Postby 38981928 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 am

letmelearnlaws wrote:Is it normal to get in without interviewing? I’m 3.73/172 and didn’t get an interview request. Applied 12/10, went complete 12/27. But no interview request... should I be worried?

Don't worry! Some people who've gotten HAMILTONS got them without interviewing!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:12 am

38981928 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:

I think it's easy to get super wrapped up and stressed when seeing all these amazing results from people on TLS. I certainly feel that way, at least! But after drinking a whole bottle of wine and a giant tub of ice cream last night feeling sorry for myself, I realized how ridiculous I was being because I already have great acceptances and scholarships. With your numbers, I'm sure you have had some really great outcomes as well! It's hard to feel ignored by your top choices, but I'm sure you've gotten into amazing schools which are other people's dream schools! I also think you're a great candidate for the Butler, by the way!

You're 100% right. I am way down the rabbit hole of crazy and need to pull it back. I probably need to step away from TLS, though I do like knowing when waves happen. I need some kind of device that cattle prods me when one happens.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 am

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
38981928 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:

You're 100% right. I am way down the rabbit hole of crazy and need to pull it back. I probably need to step away from TLS, though I do like knowing when waves happen. I need some kind of device that cattle prods me when one happens.

Would actually pay for an app that sends you a push notification whenever a t13 wave happens

LSATuration

Bronze

Postby LSATuration » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am

etramak wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
38981928 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:

Would actually pay for an app that sends you a push notification whenever a t13 wave happens

Idea: Twitter account that tweets about waves based on TLS/reddit activity; all a user would have to do is follow + mobile notifications

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 am

LSATuration wrote:
etramak wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
38981928 wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:

Idea: Twitter account that tweets about waves based on TLS/reddit activity; all a user would have to do is follow + mobile notifications

Yesss someone tell Killoran or MS9 to hire an intern to run this account/monitor this forum and reddit 10 hours a day :lol:

Saami

New

Postby Saami » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 am

Anon-e-miss wrote:Curious if any admitted students have heard about PI fellowships/schollies or any other non-Hammy scholarships?

How do the PI scholarships even work? How much money and what are the qualifications?

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 am

Saami wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:Curious if any admitted students have heard about PI fellowships/schollies or any other non-Hammy scholarships?

How do the PI scholarships even work? How much money and what are the qualifications?

Also curious about this. Was there a spot on the app to apply for a PI scholarship? I certainly don't recall one. If I indicated in my PS that I am interested in PI, am I automatically considered?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Postby AaronCarter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

AlPastor wrote:Where's today's wave

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am

etramak wrote:
Saami wrote:

Also curious about this. Was there a spot on the app to apply for a PI scholarship? I certainly don't recall one. If I indicated in my PS that I am interested in PI, am I automatically considered?

I'm a spectator (applying next cycle), but i'm under the impression that there are a handful of unnamed PI scholarships each year (I have seen a few people in recent cycles who got full tuition scholarships and mentioned something about PI in the description of the scholarship on LSN)
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAdultman

New

Postby MrAdultman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 pm

I took a glance at the release dates last year, and thought I'd share what I found:

-There was a wave of *some* size every week day for about 3 weeks.
-This time last year, there were 2 very small waves on Thursday and Friday, with a larger (not necessarily large) wave on Monday that included named scholarships.
-The second week of February, they released the first round of denials/WL.

Who knows how this year will look, but thought it was worth sharing!

rideagain

Bronze

Postby rideagain » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 pm

MrAdultman wrote:I took a glance at the release dates last year, and thought I'd share what I found:

-This time last year, there were 2 very small waves on Thursday and Friday, with a larger (not necessarily large) wave on Monday that included named scholarships.

Interesting, but I think we've departed from last years timeline too substantially to draw any inferences from how that cycle went.

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Postby ChutzpahSaxa15 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

rideagain wrote:
MrAdultman wrote:I took a glance at the release dates last year, and thought I'd share what I found:

Interesting, but I think we've departed from last years timeline too substantially to draw any inferences from how that cycle went.

Agreed. I wonder whether schools even try to follow the same timeline each year or just do waves when they're ready.

Smarieh115

New

Postby Smarieh115 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I applied in early November and haven't heard ANYTHING from Columbia aside from the notification that my app was under review. No interview, no nothing. For context, I have a 180 LSAT and a 4.03 LSAC GPA. But I have average or below average softs (straight out of undergrad, very little work experience). Should I assume from the radio silence that I've been rejected or waitlisted? Or is there still time before I need to worry?

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

New

Postby b-a-n-a-n-a-s » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Smarieh115 wrote:I applied in early November and haven't heard ANYTHING from Columbia aside from the notification that my app was under review. No interview, no nothing. For context, I have a 180 LSAT and a 4.03 LSAC GPA. But I have average or below average softs (straight out of undergrad, very little work experience). Should I assume from the radio silence that I've been rejected or waitlisted? Or is there still time before I need to worry?

As has been said previously but merits repeating, it is safe to assume that you have been waitlisted or rejected when you receive an email from Harvard Law School indicating that you have been waitlisted or rejected.

In the meantime, do your best to avoid the contagious neuroticism of this forum, breathe, and relax.

Quoting the previous reply to your same exact question on the Harvard thread. Chillax, dude.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 pm

We're in the exact same spot. I'm won't be that surprised when my kjd whitebread app getts waitlisted all around at this point, but if I were you I would hold out a lot of hope for YHS. You have a serious research job at a legit firm and a PhD along will stellar numbers.

I have a feeling I'm going to be living vicariously through your success these next few weeks:)

ETA those acceptances you already have are insanely impressive! You're killing this cycle!!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm

maybeman wrote:

We're in the exact same spot. I'm won't be that surprised when my kjd whitebread app getts waitlisted all around at this point, but if I were you I would hold out a lot of hope for YHS. You have a serious research job at a legit firm and a PhD along will stellar numbers.

I have a feeling I'm going to be living vicariously through your success these next few weeks:)

ETA those acceptances you already have are insanely impressive! You're killing this cycle!!

Thank you. I need to check my anxiety and remember some gratitude. I've been fortunate thus far. The fact that I struggle to be content with that and instead fixate on my long shots and just how long they are...it's kind of gross. I need to adjust. I appreciate the kind words.

Also, you are not going to be waitlisted all around. I think we are all just in for longer waits than usual in the top 5 due to these alleged increases in app numbers. But someone who gets in in April is just as fab as someone who gets in in January, and none of it will matter come Sept.

Smarieh115

New

Postby Smarieh115 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 pm

b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:
Smarieh115 wrote:I applied in early November and haven't heard ANYTHING from Columbia aside from the notification that my app was under review. No interview, no nothing. For context, I have a 180 LSAT and a 4.03 LSAC GPA. But I have average or below average softs (straight out of undergrad, very little work experience). Should I assume from the radio silence that I've been rejected or waitlisted? Or is there still time before I need to worry?

As has been said previously but merits repeating, it is safe to assume that you have been waitlisted or rejected when you receive an email from Harvard Law School indicating that you have been waitlisted or rejected.

In the meantime, do your best to avoid the contagious neuroticism of this forum, breathe, and relax.

Quoting the previous reply to your same exact question on the Harvard thread. Chillax, dude.

I'm just honestly really confused as to why I'm not hearing anything. Isn't it all based on when you apply? Or is there any other reasons besides that or being waitlisted that I person's application could take longer under review? I'm just genuinely confused, but I'm no expert on the admissions process so I'm trying to see if anyone else has an explanation.

cuzzydunlop

New

Postby cuzzydunlop » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Smarieh115 wrote:
b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:

I'm just honestly really confused as to why I'm not hearing anything. Isn't it all based on when you apply? Or is there any other reasons besides that or being waitlisted that I person's application could take longer under review? I'm just genuinely confused, but I'm no expert on the admissions process so I'm trying to see if anyone else has an explanation.

Applications aren’t reviewed in the order they are received. They get routed to various reviewers and put in their queues.

There are many reasons why it can take a while. It doesn’t mean you’re getting WL or dinged.

You have a 180 / 4.0. Unless you are a convicted felon, you’re getting into a T6. Relax!

feralflamingo

Bronze

Postby feralflamingo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Smarieh115 wrote:
b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:

The admissions officers aren't robots, and there are probably a lot of different people looking at your file. Based on what each person deems valuable and how long they take to review, what their work habits are like, what the applicant pool already looks like, AND what scholly money the school has left / can offer you, there's a huge variance on how soon you v. others may hear back. You have great numbers even for this cycle, and unless you wrote something extremely controversial in your app they're probably just debating scholly details. Chilllll
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?