Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

WashedUpProdigy

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by WashedUpProdigy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Here is a little question I have that calls for speculation but that is probably unknowable: Let's say 5 people reported receiving acceptances into X school today (and let's say it's Columbia, since this is the Columbia thread)-- how many people do you think actually got accepted today, in the real world? In other words, what do you think the relationship is between people who post their acceptance here and people who do not post their acceptance here (and maybe aren't even on here; maybe they're on other similar forums somewhere else, or don't have internet access, or -- whatever). Just thinking, brooding, wondering, ruminating...

throwaway1919

New

Post by throwaway1919 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 pm

WashedUpProdigy wrote:Here is a little question I have that calls for speculation but that is probably unknowable: Let's say 5 people reported receiving acceptances into X school today (and let's say it's Columbia, since this is the Columbia thread)-- how many people do you think actually got accepted today, in the real world? In other words, what do you think the relationship is between people who post their acceptance here and people who do not post their acceptance here (and maybe aren't even on here; maybe they're on other similar forums somewhere else, or don't have internet access, or -- whatever). Just thinking, brooding, wondering, ruminating...
I arbitrarily say 6x the number. So 30.

hcw1995

New

Post by hcw1995 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Above 75ths, got into HLS the other day, nothing from Columbia. Sit tight y'all :)

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 pm

RSolano wrote:
etramak wrote:
doyouknowdawae wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
etramak wrote:Still plenty of candidates above both medians who are still waiting, correct?
above both 75ths and still waiting here! but missing this wave has me low key panicking
Ditto.
Ditto. Got into NYU recently too so I know it's not just the case that my application was a disaster.
Good to know. Thanks for the replies. I'm grateful I've had a very positive cycle so far but I've been ghosted all week by schools and human beings :lol:

Lol human beings! Bless

Also above both 75ths, submitted in November, and absolutely no movement since too!

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:11 pm

throwaway1919 wrote:
WashedUpProdigy wrote:Here is a little question I have that calls for speculation but that is probably unknowable: Let's say 5 people reported receiving acceptances into X school today (and let's say it's Columbia, since this is the Columbia thread)-- how many people do you think actually got accepted today, in the real world? In other words, what do you think the relationship is between people who post their acceptance here and people who do not post their acceptance here (and maybe aren't even on here; maybe they're on other similar forums somewhere else, or don't have internet access, or -- whatever). Just thinking, brooding, wondering, ruminating...
bored at work so i did some basic calculations. looks like 257 acceptances reported on LSN last cycle and 1,224 total offers. so around 5-6x as many seems accurate
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Teacher wrote:
RSolano wrote:
etramak wrote:
doyouknowdawae wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
etramak wrote:Still plenty of candidates above both medians who are still waiting, correct?
above both 75ths and still waiting here! but missing this wave has me low key panicking
Ditto.
Ditto. Got into NYU recently too so I know it's not just the case that my application was a disaster.
Good to know. Thanks for the replies. I'm grateful I've had a very positive cycle so far but I've been ghosted all week by schools and human beings :lol:

Lol human beings! Bless

Also above both 75ths, submitted in November, and absolutely no movement since too!
Same. What is going on?? lol

bubblebat

New

Post by bubblebat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:45 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
Teacher wrote:
RSolano wrote:
etramak wrote:
doyouknowdawae wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
Ditto.

Lol human beings! Bless

Same. What is going on?? lol
Obviously we are all going to be the first group to receive Columbia's new "Special Unicorn Fellowship Award®™℠" through which we will not only receive full tuition, but a stipend of $600,000 and access to the university's underground magical horse races.

LawSSS

New

Post by LawSSS » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Butler! Very surprised and excited :)

hanosi

New

Post by hanosi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
bored at work so i did some basic calculations. looks like 257 acceptances reported on LSN last cycle and 1,224 total offers. so around 5-6x as many seems accurate
First time posting. Found this recently somewhere. It says that 21% of admits are from LSN. So 4 more for every one on here. Give it a look
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =630438512
Original Article: http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/law-school-numbers/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm

hanosi wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
First time posting. Found this recently somewhere. It says that 21% of admits are from LSN. So 4 more for every one on here. Give it a look
So, as the bored 0L who put together the spreadsheet and wrote the article you've linked, I'm glad someone's using that for reference. I admit my hand count of acceptances could easily be off by 2, and thepsychedlic's 257 could be correct (I'm not bored enough to recount tonight), but I got the 1213 from Columbia's 509 report. I'm curious where the 1224 comes from.

However, one thing that's perfectly clear from my data set is that LSN is not a representative sample. It skews successful. It's not safe to conclude that the percentage of Hamiltons/Butlers on LSN is the same as the percentage of admits. Any wave at a top school comprised of only scholarship students is likely to be overrepresented on LSN, at least after the cycle. We also have no idea how many folks are hiding their cycles there but will reveal them later, but we know applicants do this. So, the results could vary wildly for live reporting.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm

wmbuff wrote:
hanosi wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
So, as the bored 0L who put together the spreadsheet and wrote the article you've linked, I'm glad someone's using that for reference. I admit my hand count of acceptances could easily be off by 2, and thepsychedlic's 257 could be correct (I'm not bored enough to recount tonight), but I got the 1213 from Columbia's 509 report. I'm curious where the 1224 comes from.

However, one thing that's perfectly clear from my data set is that LSN is not a representative sample. It skews successful. It's not safe to conclude that the percentage of Hamiltons/Butlers on LSN is the same as the percentage of admits. Any wave at a top school comprised of only scholarship students is likely to be overrepresented on LSN, at least after the cycle. We also have no idea how many folks are hiding their cycles there but will reveal them later, but we know applicants do this. So, the results could vary wildly for live reporting.
ah i looked at the 2016 509 by mistake, it should've been 1213. For the acceptances, I just went on myLSN and put the range from 120-180 and 0.0-4.3 and got the acceptances that way! also wmbuff you're amazing for that spread sheet and compiling that data. really enjoyed your post on spivey.
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
hanosi wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:

ah i looked at the 2016 509 by mistake, it should've been 1213. For the acceptances, I just went on myLSN and put the range from 120-180 and 0.0-4.3 and got the acceptances that way! also wmbuff you're amazing for that spread sheet and compiling that data. really enjoyed your post on spivey.
That...that is way better a method than what I used. And thank you.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dollarez

New

Post by dollarez » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 pm

LawSSS wrote:Butler! Very surprised and excited :)
Congrats!!!! mind if I ask for stats? Just wondering if there's a huge difference between Hamilton and Butler in terms of stats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sl4181

New

Post by sl4181 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 pm

congrats to all who are admitted and good luck to those who still waiting

25% gpa 175 lsat, finished in mid nov, interviewed on 1.5, nothing heard back since then
does that mean I'm done?

black_mirror

Bronze

Post by black_mirror » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 am

Teacher wrote:
RSolano wrote:
etramak wrote:
doyouknowdawae wrote:
throwaway1919 wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
Ditto.

Lol human beings! Bless

+180 :(

Top Tier Lurker

New

Post by Top Tier Lurker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

Last edited by Top Tier Lurker on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

H2M211

New

Post by H2M211 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 am

How long does it usually take to go from "completion pending" to "complete"? I submitted the second week of January and am still completion pending. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATuration

Bronze

Post by LSATuration » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 am

H2M211 wrote:How long does it usually take to go from "completion pending" to "complete"? I submitted the second week of January and am still completion pending. Thanks!
Took me just over 2 weeks

ilpsm

Bronze

-

Post by ilpsm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am

-
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cremdelacrem

New

Post by cremdelacrem » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:31 am

accepted 1/25
below median GPA, above median LSAT
interviewed sometime in late Dec
went complete in late October
softs: asian female, killer recs and resume, 2 years work experience

Seems that my softs really came into play this cycle for Columbia (I haven't heard back from NYU, waitlisted at Penn, accepted at UChicago) considering my lower GPA - I think that might be why some of the above median folk haven't heard back yet! Good luck!!!

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

cremdelacrem wrote:accepted 1/25

Seems that my softs really came into play this cycle for Columbia (I haven't heard back from NYU, waitlisted at Penn, accepted at UChicago) considering my lower GPA - I think that might be why some of the above median folk haven't heard back yet! Good luck!!!
Congrats! Did you get a Butler?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm

This got lost back there so wanted to ask again,
What's the fastest someone has gone from complete to accepted?

shadowofastout

New

Post by shadowofastout » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06 pm

cremdelacrem wrote:accepted 1/25

Is being an Asian female considered a soft? I know Asians are not considered URMs and I am also an Asian female so just wondering how that works.

barbarbarbar

New

Post by barbarbarbar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Does anyone have thoughts on sending updated resumes to CLC?? I started a new job in January in the legal field so it's relevant to my application. Can't find much on their website so just trying to decide whether to send it or wait it out. Thoughts??

cwasser3

Bronze

Post by cwasser3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:13 pm

barbarbarbar wrote:Does anyone have thoughts on sending updated resumes to CLC?? I started a new job in January in the legal field so it's relevant to my application. Can't find much on their website so just trying to decide whether to send it or wait it out. Thoughts??
I think it's always a good idea. It can't hurt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”