Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

dm1683

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 am

austinlove wrote:How do you afford Columbia without named scholarship? I heard they don’t really give merit scholarships :(
you have rich parents or are incredibly comfortable with 350k in debt...

That's why (as insufferable as this sounds) my acceptance today was bittersweet, since I know I didn't get a butler and there's no way I would be able to afford the COA without a massive scholarship

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:31 am

dm1683 wrote:
austinlove wrote:How do you afford Columbia without named scholarship? I heard they don’t really give merit scholarships :(

That's why (as insufferable as this sounds) my acceptance today was bittersweet, since I know I didn't get a butler and there's no way I would be able to afford the COA without a massive scholarship
Wait is that true? No merit based scholly? :cry:
Not that I'd have any shot at them, but did we have to apply separately for named scholarships?

EnglishApplicant2017

New

Post by EnglishApplicant2017 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:51 am

As far as I'm aware, candidates are automatically considered for Hamilton and Butler scholarships as they apply. There is other merit aid offered at some later stage but obviously it is unlikely to approach the generosity of the named scholarships. There are also some new scholarships on the way (http://www.law.columbia.edu/news/2017/0 ... law-school) but I suspect they won't be available/offered this cycle since it says here (click on the students bit: https://campaign.law.columbia.edu/our-goals) that there will be 50 new $100,000 endowed scholarships available by 30 June 2019.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 am

Are we all thinking admit weekend 1 or 2?

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am

dm1683 wrote:

It's not insufferable at all (and this is coming from someone who hasn't been admitted yet - ding?). I feel the same way about every school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Saami

New

Post by Saami » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 am

Accept me today with the Hamilton, plz.

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 am

Saami wrote:Accept me today with the Hamilton, plz.
+1 plox

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 am

albinododobird wrote:
+1 plox
albino, with your numbers you have as good a shot as anyone

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 am

Really hoping for a Butler wave today or else I think I'll be the only person in the history of LSN to be at both 75ths and get dinged

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am

rachelac wrote:
Really hoping for a Butler wave today or else I think I'll be the only person in the history of LSN to be at both 75ths and get dinged
I mean at least you'd be a legend?

bubblebat

New

Post by bubblebat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am

rachelac wrote:
At this point I'm feeling like I'll be the first person well over both 75ths to not even get accepted at all.

(I stumbled over that interview like a drunk mule.)

Saami

New

Post by Saami » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am

Is there like a cutoff point where everyone above is weighted equally for the Hamilton based on personal statement, experience, interview etc., or do you just need near perfect LSATs/GPAs to get one? After seeing the numbers of people who have gotten them so far, I feel like I have no chance.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

rideagain wrote:
rachelac wrote:
I mean at least you'd be a legend?
Thank you for this outlook :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

Saami wrote:Is there like a cutoff point where everyone above is weighted equally for the Hamilton based on personal statement, experience, interview etc., or do you just need near perfect LSATs/GPAs to get one? After seeing the numbers of people who have gotten them so far, I feel like I have no chance.
I think I've seen before that people 174 and up and 3.8ish got Hamiltons! I think you're a contender! I mean I could be wrong but I could've sworn I read that 174 and 3.8 were the LSAT/GPA floors...

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 am

bubblebat wrote:
rachelac wrote:
At this point I'm feeling like I'll be the first person well over both 75ths to not even get accepted at all.

No that's what I mean! My interview was weirdly combative, like I asked about the public service program and said that I was asking since CLS had more of a big-law reputation as opposed to PI in what I thought was a very professional way (like, asked a similar question to UVA and was accepted with a PI full ride) and the interviewer seemed really offended by it.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am

rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:
rachelac wrote:

No that's what I mean! My interview was weirdly combative, like I asked about the public service program and said that I was asking since CLS had more of a big-law reputation as opposed to PI in what I thought was a very professional way (like, asked a similar question to UVA and was accepted with a PI full ride) and the interviewer seemed really offended by it.
Weird. I had a really good interview with Columbia. Much better then HLS.

Goes to show that interviews are just totally unpredictable.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 am

rideagain wrote:
rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:
rachelac wrote:

Yeah it's very luck-of-the-draw I think. I consoled myself at the time by thinking it was probably an interview for Butler consideration, not admissions, but after the unpredictability of the T5 this year I feel way less confident now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 am

rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:
rachelac wrote:

I think that's just their style tbh. I didn't have exactly the same experience and my interviewer was very nice and smile-y the whole time, but she did challenge me/question me in a way that felt a little more confrontational than H or UVA. She almost sounded skeptical about my commitment to attending law school because of my undergrad major (didn't expect that), but on balance she was asking the same questions as everyone else (why law, why law now, why undergrad major, etc) just phrased differently.

bubblebat

New

Post by bubblebat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 am

rideagain wrote:
rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:

I think my interview issue was more my fault than anything else. I'd just gotten into HLS so I didn't do as much digging on Columbia as I probably should have, leading to one of the most awkward and lackluster "Why Colubmia?" answers of all time.

Also, the interviewer told me he liked how "frugal minded and concerned with the realistic constraints of being a law school student" I was, which seemed like some strange veil for, "I know you can't afford this."

ToddCraines

New

Post by ToddCraines » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 am

38981928 wrote:
rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:
rachelac wrote:

I think that's just their style tbh. I didn't have exactly the same experience and my interviewer was very nice and smile-y the whole time, but she did challenge me/question me in a way that felt a little more confrontational than H or UVA. She almost sounded skeptical about my commitment to attending law school because of my undergrad major (didn't expect that), but on balance she was asking the same questions as everyone else (why law, why law now, why undergrad major, etc) just phrased differently.
My major in relation to law school got questioned too. I think being a K-JD and having a "not typical" major, I think they wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. I think Columbia interviews are less generic and more so ask you questions that require an explanation that is unique to your situation. So while it kind of feels like you're on the defensive, I think it's a different approach to getting to know the applicant as a whole. That being said, I was nervous and stumbled alot, probably rambled a bit. But I hope that was overlooked

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am

bubblebat wrote:
rideagain wrote:
rachelac wrote:
bubblebat wrote:

I think my interview issue was more my fault than anything else. I'd just gotten into HLS so I didn't do as much digging on Columbia as I probably should have, leading to one of the most awkward and lackluster "Why Colubmia?" answers of all time.

Also, the interviewer told me he liked how "frugal minded and concerned with the realistic constraints of being a law school student" I was, which seemed like some strange veil for, "I know you can't afford this."
Re the last part you must be overthinking it. I'm guilty of the same thing, I regret half of my responses during my JS1 because my answers could have been more complete (e.g., forgot to answer the "now" part when I was asked "why law now?"). But there is virtually no chance that the interviewer, even if he truly has concluded that he doesn't like you during the 10 minutes spent interviewing you via skype, will just flat out insult you, subtly or explicitly. Keep in mind the vast vast vast majority of law school applicants, even though many come from families of means, don't have the cash on hand to straight up pay for CLS. If anything he was truly complimenting your realistic outlook on law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

walks

New

Post by walks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 am

ToddCraines wrote: My major in relation to law school got questioned too. I think being a K-JD and having a "not typical" major, I think they wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. I think Columbia interviews are less generic and more so ask you questions that require an explanation that is unique to your situation. So while it kind of feels like you're on the defensive, I think it's a different approach to getting to know the applicant as a whole. That being said, I was nervous and stumbled alot, probably rambled a bit. But I hope that was overlooked
What's your major? Asking as an art historian.
Last edited by walks on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddCraines

New

Post by ToddCraines » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 am

walks wrote:
ToddCraines wrote: My major in relation to law school got questioned too. I think being a K-JD and having a "not typical" major, I think they wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. I think Columbia interviews are less generic and more so ask you questions that require an explanation that is unique to your situation. So while it kind of feels like you're on the defensive, I think it's a different approach to getting to know the applicant as a whole. That being said, I was nervous and stumbled alot, probably rambled a bit. But I hope that was overlooked
What's your major? Asking as an art historian.
STEM

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Good morning lovely people! What's the general consensus on a wave today?

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Teacher wrote:Good morning lovely people! What's the general consensus on a wave today?
Not sure if there is one but I'm not getting my hopes up until next week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”