Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many years of work experience do you have?

K-JD
42
26%
1-2
61
37%
3-5
35
21%
6-10
17
10%
I rode a dinosaur to my undergraduate classes
9
5%
 
Total votes: 164

scalaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby scalaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submit ED app to NW today, how quick is the turnaround?

If I don't get in to NW Ed, I want to apply to UCLA by Nov. 15.

Thanks!


If your stats are what you posted elsewhere on TLS, you're not going to get into NU ED. That's the unfortunate reality. NU ED is to pick up URMs with mid 3 GPAs and mid 160s LSATs and non-URMs that break both medians/could go to CCN/MVP. It's not meant to boost the chances of fringe candidates.


I have read that it does give a small boost if/when the fringe candidate gets held since it's a testament to their commitment to NW (probably speaks volumes compared to a Why NW).


Not sure how true that is, but ED to Northwestern couldn't hurt.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm checking in, even though I don't have much of a chance. The app is free, and my TLS namesake was the Northwestern valedictorian, so why not.

User avatar
SopranoSaxophone
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 pm

To anyone else who used the NU site to solicit a waiver: I received one recently, but I'm worried that something is wrong with the waiver code itself. Without giving too much away, it seems to be mixed up with another bit of information. Does this sound correct to anyone else, or should I reach out about a problem with my waiver code?

pezberri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby pezberri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

How do I request an application fee waiver?
As an incentive for prospective applicants to apply early (between September 1 to December 1), we offer application fee waivers to any prospective JD applicant who simply fills out our registration form. This form can be found on our Apply page. A fee waiver code will be generated and emailed within 2-3 business days.

If you receive a fee waiver, be sure to apply by the expiration date listed on notice. Once a fee waiver code has expired, it will not be reissued.

https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... eWaiverReq



I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?

pezberri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby pezberri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:To anyone else who used the NU site to solicit a waiver: I received one recently, but I'm worried that something is wrong with the waiver code itself. Without giving too much away, it seems to be mixed up with another bit of information. Does this sound correct to anyone else, or should I reach out about a problem with my waiver code?


Yep, same problem! I'm emailing them. You have any luck?

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Platopus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:17 pm

pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?


This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!

User avatar
heyduchess
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

Splitter with cool work experience, so let's see how this shakes out!

User avatar
stjeff00
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby stjeff00 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submit ED app to NW today, how quick is the turnaround?

If I don't get in to NW Ed, I want to apply to UCLA by Nov. 15.

Thanks!


If your stats are what you posted elsewhere on TLS, you're not going to get into NU ED. That's the unfortunate reality. NU ED is to pick up URMs with mid 3 GPAs and mid 160s LSATs and non-URMs that break both medians/could go to CCN/MVP. It's not meant to boost the chances of fringe candidates.


Not questioning the validity of this statement just pure curiosity, how do you know this?

User avatar
Walliums
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Walliums » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 am

heyduchess wrote:Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

Splitter with cool work experience, so let's see how this shakes out!


You got this 8)

RedPurpleBlue
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

stjeff00 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submit ED app to NW today, how quick is the turnaround?

If I don't get in to NW Ed, I want to apply to UCLA by Nov. 15.

Thanks!


If your stats are what you posted elsewhere on TLS, you're not going to get into NU ED. That's the unfortunate reality. NU ED is to pick up URMs with mid 3 GPAs and mid 160s LSATs and non-URMs that break both medians/could go to CCN/MVP. It's not meant to boost the chances of fringe candidates.


Not questioning the validity of this statement just pure curiosity, how do you know this?


1) It logically wouldn't make sense to give away $150k in scholarships to fringe candidates, when you could be throwing that at high GPA/LSAT kids that could otherwise go to CCN

2) If you look over the years of NU ED applicants on LSN, you can see a pretty clear GPA/LSAT floor for ED. Had this data when I applied last year, but I have no clue where I saved it. You can go check yourself though! It doesn't take that long too figure it out.

law-schooler
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby law-schooler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 am

Kind of last minute question: does anyone know how the ED form is supposed to be submitted? I intend to request an off-campus interview, so the deadline to apply is today (Oct. 15), but I have only now noticed that there isn't a section on the application for us to submit a signed copy of the form... It only says that we should "complete this form, sign it, and return it to the Office of Admissions by December 1st", but does not specify how. Are we supposed to have it snail mailed (even if applying online), emailed or maybe uploaded as an addendum?

User avatar
xinaialice
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 pm

law-schooler wrote:Kind of last minute question: does anyone know how the ED form is supposed to be submitted? I intend to request an off-campus interview, so the deadline to apply is today (Oct. 15), but I have only now noticed that there isn't a section on the application for us to submit a signed copy of the form... It only says that we should "complete this form, sign it, and return it to the Office of Admissions by December 1st", but does not specify how. Are we supposed to have it snail mailed (even if applying online), emailed or maybe uploaded as an addendum?


Just email them (admissions@law.northwestern.edu)... I emailed them last month..and you will then get an email from them saying they received your certification, and the application checklist would check the "optional-Early Decision Certification."
Last edited by xinaialice on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pezberri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby pezberri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?


This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!


literally.... what the heck...

User avatar
heyduchess
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Walliums wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

Splitter with cool work experience, so let's see how this shakes out!


You got this 8)


Thanks, love! <3

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Platopus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 pm

pezberri wrote:
Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?


This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!


literally.... what the heck...


My ill-advised attempt at humor. I'm sure the admissions office would be happy to fix an error with the waiver code

User avatar
wmbuff
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

Application sent, no error with my waiver code.

pezberri
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby pezberri » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?


This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!


literally.... what the heck...


My ill-advised attempt at humor. I'm sure the admissions office would be happy to fix an error with the waiver code


lol okay no worries.... i emailed them and had no reply so i was on edge enough for a small part of me to wonder if this was true

User avatar
jellyjar
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby jellyjar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Checking in! Interviewing/visiting at the end of the month--it'll be my first time in Chicago, so I'd love tips on where to go eat, drink, etc. if anyone is familiar with the area!

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Interview complete. Now we wait.

User avatar
heyduchess
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?


More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.

rachelac
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rachelac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?


More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.


^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.

User avatar
heyduchess
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?


More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.


I feel like I'd totally do this as an alum. Like: Why law? Why NU? Do you think Crayola should be allowed to trademark different names of colors? What are your career goals? What's your spirit animal?

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

rachelac wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?


More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.


^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.


For sure. It made me really want to go even when I don't get ED. My interviewer gave me some really good reasons to attend with my goals.

User avatar
heyduchess
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

rowdy wrote:
rachelac wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?


More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.


^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.


For sure. It made me really want to go even when I don't get ED. My interviewer gave me some really good reasons to attend with my goals.


That's awesome. It's always good to hear that interviews are just as much schools selling you. It's difficult to get that kind of inside perspective otherwise.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], LawTweet, pizzapocky, split_777, srw004, ur_hero and 16 guests