Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

appind

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by appind » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:04 am

MT Cicero wrote:
Cooley_Or_Bust wrote:I have an interview with a Northwestern alum coming up. Is there any specific questions they ask or is it just a general interview?
Expect some standard questions certainly, but interviewers are given latitude to get a feel for the applicant in a more general sense. You can search TLS and find some of the questions that have been used in the past, but they won't surprise you. And sometimes the applicant's resume can carve a different path for the interview (say, unique background/work experience). I assume very few people (if any) try to play "gotcha" with truly weird stuff.
would the off-campus NW alum interviewer have read the resume, application and the applicant's numbers etc? have contacted the assigned alum interviewer and haven't heard back.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 am

appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
Cooley_Or_Bust wrote:I have an interview with a Northwestern alum coming up. Is there any specific questions they ask or is it just a general interview?
Expect some standard questions certainly, but interviewers are given latitude to get a feel for the applicant in a more general sense. You can search TLS and find some of the questions that have been used in the past, but they won't surprise you. And sometimes the applicant's resume can carve a different path for the interview (say, unique background/work experience). I assume very few people (if any) try to play "gotcha" with truly weird stuff.
would the off-campus NW alum interviewer have read the resume, application and the applicant's numbers etc? have contacted the assigned alum interviewer and haven't heard back.
In my experience (on campus interview with admission staff so it may vary) they have not looked at the application/ statements and did not have my numbers on hand. They asked that you bring a resume.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 am

usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
In my experience (on campus interview with admission staff so it may vary) they have not looked at the application/ statements and did not have my numbers on hand. They asked that you bring a resume.
yeah, i think it could be different between off-campus alum and on-campus interview.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am

usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
My off-campus person had not seen any of my stuff so I brought a resume and personal statement in a folder that I left with her!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 pm

rachelac wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
My off-campus person had not seen any of my stuff so I brought a resume and personal statement in a folder that I left with her!
Yeah, the only thing we get as an off-campus alumni interviewer is a name and email. Either we or the applicant will make contact. My applicant emailed his resume before the interview, which was helpful to avoid the awkward "reviewing the resume" minutes at the outset. We don't have your numbers or anything else from your app. I would suggest only the resume for the interview (no need for PS, recs, numbers, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

What do we think, gang, one more week until ED folks hear?

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm

rowdy wrote:What do we think, gang, one more week until ED folks hear?
Based on the past 3 years it's Thurs. the 14th. Hopefully admissions won't be watching the new Star Wars instead of releasing decisions. :lol:

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
rachelac wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
Yeah, the only thing we get as an off-campus alumni interviewer is a name and email. Either we or the applicant will make contact. My applicant emailed his resume before the interview, which was helpful to avoid the awkward "reviewing the resume" minutes at the outset. We don't have your numbers or anything else from your app. I would suggest only the resume for the interview (no need for PS, recs, numbers, etc.).
What is the dress code for such intvws, or is it a good idea to ask the alum? Mine is at law firm offices but I have like put on even a blazer probably once in the last 10 years.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
rachelac wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
What is the dress code for such intvws, or is it a good idea to ask the alum? Mine is at law firm offices but I have like put on even a blazer probably once in the last 10 years.
My interviewer let me know that it was going to be casual with jeans, so you might want to ask. It probably depends on the context, I think if it’s at a law firm it’d be a good idea to dress more formally!
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CSKLawz

New

Post by CSKLawz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I would look up your interviewer beforehand and gauge their background. When I interviewed two years ago, I met my interviewer at a bar after work. He was a senior partner, so I wore a suit and he was wearing a suit, too. When I interviewed for another school with a first year associate on a Saturday, I wore jeans and he was wearing jeans.

My understanding is that women and non-binary people have it a lot harder when deciding what to wear. Unfortunately, I have no advice other than that the legal field is traditionally dressed more conservatively than other industries. Other current students or recent alumni might have more insight on this than I do.

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
rowdy wrote:What do we think, gang, one more week until ED folks hear?
Based on the past 3 years it's Thurs. the 14th. Hopefully admissions won't be watching the new Star Wars instead of releasing decisions. :lol:
Please let this be true. I need to know if this horrible process is over with and I can withdraw from every other school.

Art_Vandelay_

New

Post by Art_Vandelay_ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:41 pm

My application status on LSAC's website says COMPLETED but on Northwestern's status checker it says INCOMPLETE. All required documents have been received and I already completed my interview. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer for Northwestern to update their status? CAS report delivered 12/05.

All comments/feedback/guesses much appreciated!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Art_Vandelay_ wrote:My application status on LSAC's website says COMPLETED but on Northwestern's status checker it says INCOMPLETE. All required documents have been received and I already completed my interview. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer for Northwestern to update their status? CAS report delivered 12/05.

Can take a few days after the interview is done before you go complete. Don't worry about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Art_Vandelay_

New

Post by Art_Vandelay_ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:07 pm

mwells56 wrote:
Art_Vandelay_ wrote:My application status on LSAC's website says COMPLETED but on Northwestern's status checker it says INCOMPLETE. All required documents have been received and I already completed my interview. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer for Northwestern to update their status? CAS report delivered 12/05.

Can take a few days after the interview is done before you go complete. Don't worry about it.
Ok cool thanks!

mturf

New

Post by mturf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:34 pm

When do people think EDs will drop?
Last edited by mturf on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Tentatively checking in. I'm going to wait for my LSAT score to make sure I'm at least 168+ before applying. Northwestern is probably my best bet of the T14 though since they are friendlier to low GPAs and like work experience. And I'm from the Chicago suburbs so that's a plus.

ChiCityLove

New

Post by ChiCityLove » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:02 pm

mturf wrote:When do people think EDs will drop?
Based on past years, probably 12/14 (they've historically been on Thursdays).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm

ChiCityLove wrote:
The assistant dean pretty much confirmed of 12/14 on his Twitter

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm

jimmyplayer601 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
Link?

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:18 pm

rowdy wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
Link?
https://twitter.com/tweetsbyjohann/stat ... 9871712256

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
rowdy wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
Link?
Stupid "tweets and replies" tab smh

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm

NEW POLL GANG place your bets now

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
rowdy wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
Link?
Holy crap!!

I can feel my ulcer growing. Come quickly, Thursday!

TTlawschool

New

Post by TTlawschool » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Does anyone know how we are first notified about ED? Phone call, email, status checker?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

TTlawschool wrote:Does anyone know how we are first notified about ED? Phone call, email, status checker?
Status checker with email to follow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”