Page 1 of 18

Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:32 pm
by InterLaw
Image

Here we go folks! Let me know if I missed something or if some link doesn't work, I'll update!

Application Resources

Application should open September 15th

Application timeline
General application index
Requirements (Checklist)
FAQs

Reference Material

Applicants 2020 TLS thread
GULC students taking questions TLS thread
2016 entering class profile

MEDIAN LSAT: 167
25th-75th PERCENTILE LSAT: 162-168
MEDIAN GPA: 3.78
25th-75th GPA: 3.53-3.87

Nr of Applications: 9257
Nr. of Offers: 2270 (24,52%)
Nr. of Students Matriculated: 576 (50 of which for Part-Time JD)

Law School Numbers Admission Graph
Image

MyLSN Admission Timeline Graph
Image

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 pm
by Slippin' Jimmy
In! Will consider attending if they show the money.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:45 pm
by DaydreamNation
Will apply but with my low GPA I doubt I have a good chance of attending. If I got in they'd be my #1 choice barring a full ride somewhere else though.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm
by AvatarMeelo
I actually love GULC and hope I get enough money to go!! Hey friendsssss

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm
by InterLaw
Since you all started speaking about money... They are not the hugest spenders right? :roll:

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 pm
by heyduchess
Count me in!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm
by principalagent
Checking in. Ready to be besties with Tiff!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 pm
by NavyNuke
Also in!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm
by InterLaw
principalagent wrote:Checking in. Ready to be besties with Tiff!


Basically the core concept of my Why Georgetown essay...

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 pm
by Incrementalist
Checking in as well. Good luck to everyone.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 pm
by DaydreamNation
InterLaw wrote:Since you all started speaking about money... They are not the hugest spenders right? :roll:

Not as far as I can tell. Would imagine the huge class size has something to do with that. For those of y'all that are well above both medians, that might not be the case this year though with their slip from the T14!!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 pm
by InterLaw
DaydreamNation wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Since you all started speaking about money... They are not the hugest spenders right? :roll:

Not as far as I can tell. Would imagine the huge class size has something to do with that. For those of y'all that are well above both medians, that might not be the case this year though with their slip from the T14!!


And that is a factor which will play a major role I think. For what I can imagine, the new ranking will have effects even for H and Columbia cycles, even though GULC will be the most interested, due to evident reasons...

As soon as I learn how to do that, I'm going to launch our first poll!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 pm
by DaydreamNation
InterLaw wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Since you all started speaking about money... They are not the hugest spenders right? :roll:

Not as far as I can tell. Would imagine the huge class size has something to do with that. For those of y'all that are well above both medians, that might not be the case this year though with their slip from the T14!!


And that is a factor which will play a major role I think. For what I can imagine, the new ranking will have effects even for H and Columbia cycles, even though GULC will be the most interested, due to evident reasons...

As soon as I learn how to do that, I'm going to launch our first poll!
I think if you go to edit the OP there should be a box to check or something at the bottom for a poll

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm
by InterLaw
DaydreamNation wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Since you all started speaking about money... They are not the hugest spenders right? :roll:

Not as far as I can tell. Would imagine the huge class size has something to do with that. For those of y'all that are well above both medians, that might not be the case this year though with their slip from the T14!!


And that is a factor which will play a major role I think. For what I can imagine, the new ranking will have effects even for H and Columbia cycles, even though GULC will be the most interested, due to evident reasons...

As soon as I learn how to do that, I'm going to launch our first poll!
I think if you go to edit the OP there should be a box to check or something at the bottom for a poll


Thanks buddy!

Poll updated!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 pm
by DaydreamNation
I love small class size and being in the T14


180

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:47 pm
by Jack_Kelly
Checking in. Splitter. >75th LSAT, <25th GPA. Solely PI interest.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 am
by rowdy
Ch ch checking in.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 pm
by rubixcube
Hi, folks. Checking in! 3.7 GPA, and I'll be taking the LSAT in September.

Look forward to connecting with you all in the coming months!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:18 pm
by usaorbust
Checking in!!

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 am
by InterLaw
I'll update poll later, something a bit more serious maybe, even if I'd wait for the real ones until mid Aug / Sept (lsat/gpa polls)...

Also, I can't wait to see the new GULC medians, I think they'll be released in a month.

How do you guys think they'll face the #15 usnwr situation? It will affect more our cycle than the last, because of the ranking release date (march).

The easiest way for a school to higher the ranking is to higher the medians, but in order to do that you gotta spend a lot and give good scholarships to >75th percentiles applicants, which was not something in their dna. Moreover, I don't think they saw the drop coming, so they didn't probably made huge changes in admission policies last cycle.

Imho, the risk is actually to drop again below ucla/vandy in few years if there isn't a real change: It'll be hard to attract high scores in a school with huge COA and lower-trend in rank, and that could reflect on employment rates...

I don't know, what do you think?

(Come on, let's bring this thread in t10 in terms of pages!)

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 am
by ml0606148
:shock: heard rumors that Georgetown's Section 3 (Curriculum B) has been a constant provider of transfer students to Yale Law School

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:43 am
by InterLaw
ml0606148 wrote::shock: heard rumors that Georgetown's Section 3 (Curriculum B) has been a constant provider of transfer students to Yale Law School


Just discovered that there is a curriculum B, and it seems very interesting! Why do you say that? Is it harder?

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am
by DaydreamNation
Have heard that biglaw tends to look down on Curriculum B because they don't know what to make of it. Would doubt that YLS would somehow value transfers from that section more highly, but have no clue about that.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm
by rubixcube
InterLaw wrote:
How do you guys think they'll face the #15 usnwr situation? It will affect more our cycle than the last, because of the ranking release date (march).

The easiest way for a school to higher the ranking is to higher the medians, but in order to do that you gotta spend a lot and give good scholarships to >75th percentiles applicants, which was not something in their dna.


I think you really hit the nail on the head here. One of the critical ways to improve the yield on enrollment is to improve scholarships. This really seems to be tough for GULC, because you really have to have a significant endowment and funding available to secure these scholarships. I think the most likely scenario we see is a repetition of this past cycle—similar admissions numbers and medians.

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm
by InterLaw
I need to find something more about this Curriculum B, I think I'll ask to some gulc student on their thread!
Also, being interested in PI, what biglaw does or does not think is not a key feature. However, being international means that I have to keep that door open because of Visa sponsorship (even though I don't think that international orgs would find it difficult to provide visa sponsorship...)

rubixcube wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
How do you guys think they'll face the #15 usnwr situation? It will affect more our cycle than the last, because of the ranking release date (march).

The easiest way for a school to higher the ranking is to higher the medians, but in order to do that you gotta spend a lot and give good scholarships to >75th percentiles applicants, which was not something in their dna.


I think you really hit the nail on the head here. One of the critical ways to improve the yield on enrollment is to improve scholarships. This really seems to be tough for GULC, because you really have to have a significant endowment and funding available to secure these scholarships. I think the most likely scenario we see is a repetition of this past cycle—similar admissions numbers and medians.


Yes, I believe the same. However, for next cycle this could change. I mean, I know it sounds stupid but actually being out of the club means that you have 1 less reason to convince 170+ to pay sticker!