UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your app status?

In with scholly!
23
12%
In, no scholly yet...
30
16%
Waitlisted
13
7%
Dinged
3
2%
Ghosted
114
60%
Eww I didn't apply
7
4%
 
Total votes: 190

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm

New poll, who dis?

latinxlawschool2020

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Checking in ,

In via status checker, had my interview the 17th, in the 18th

stats: 153 LSAT ( so low ) and gpa 3.88 URM from CA

User avatar
alykdesire

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby alykdesire » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 pm

latinxlawschool2020 wrote:Checking in ,

In via status checker, had my interview the 17th, in the 18th

stats: 153 LSAT ( so low ) and gpa 3.88 URM from CA


When did you submit your application?

User avatar
AdieuCali

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby AdieuCali » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:Let me know if you have any other questions.


I am stuck between UT and UVA for Texas Biglaw. Do you feel that I would be at any disadvantage to a job in that market from UVA as compared to UT? Unless UT bumps up their offer UVA is the cheaper option by about 25k.

Also, what kinds of things would a stay-at-home mom have to do in Charlottseville? My wife is used to big cities, and I don't want to make her feel isolated/alone during my law school experience. Her happiness will play a major role in where I matriculate. Do you think it would be very important for her to visit C-ville before I make a decision? Because of finances we aren't sure she can join for ASW, but I'm willing to put in time at work to help make that possible if it will help her.

I'm already certain she would LOVE Austin, and just want to make sure I cut her short by going to UVA.


My wife is also a stay-at-home mom (though she wants to go back to work). There is lots to do in Cville with kids - we have a weekly routine going to music classes, story-time, swim lessons, playgroups, etc. We were able to plan some of it around my class schedule so I can attend a fair amount. Coming from a large city I was surprised how much there is to do here on a weekly basis and we also visit friends in DC about once a month. The shopping is decent and the Short Pump mall which has every store you’d want is about an hour away. Housing is also dirt-cheap here. I was able to find a huge house for rent about 15 minutes from the law school for a fraction of what we paid in California for a condo.

I would caution you about 3 things:
1) It can be tough to make friends for your spouse here. Most of your classmates will be younger and dating/single, so section-mates aren’t necessarily a guaranteed social pool for her. There is a Virginia Law Families group that’s fairly active at the school, which is mostly law students with kids. Outside of that she’ll have to be fairly entrepreneurial to find fiends (this may be true of Austin too if you’re not from the area)
2) Cville is a small university town and it can be tough to find good-paying jobs if your wife wants to go back to work at some point. Possible, especially if she has a degree that can be used in university admin, but difficult.
3) Quality childcare is hard to find here (which is part of the reason my wife is staying at home). UVA has a good inexpensive Childcare program but the waitlist can take over a year. Sign up ASAP - enrollment is in August. If you don’t use it, don’t use it, but it’s good to have as an option.

All that said, I really love it here. I picked UVA over Penn and Gtown and I’m very happy with my decision. Don’t know much about Texas but several 2Ls I know got 1L firm SAs in Houston & Dallas. I’m still early in the 1L job hunt, but I’ve already had two screeners in LA, so the degree definitely travels. PM me for more info.

jkander31

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jkander31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Who's attending (or thinking of attending) the Alumni Reception in NYC next month? I'll be there.

latinxlawschool2020

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:50 am

alykdesire wrote:
latinxlawschool2020 wrote:Checking in ,

In via status checker, had my interview the 17th, in the 18th

stats: 153 LSAT ( so low ) and gpa 3.88 URM from CA


When did you submit your application?


submitted 11/8

mintygreen

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby mintygreen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 am

UR1 since 10/16, sent in a Why UVA, expecting a WL or rejection at this point :(
Very sad :(

User avatar
ChutzpahSaxa15

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ChutzpahSaxa15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 pm

mintygreen wrote:UR1 since 10/16, sent in a Why UVA, expecting a WL or rejection at this point :(
Very sad :(


I think UVA has ghosted a LOT of people this cycle. Don't give up hope!

ltepen

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ltepen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Decided to write and submit a Why UVA since I didn't before. Hopefully this can at least get me a date change or something.

aboveandbeyond

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby aboveandbeyond » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 am

soft factors matter.

For anyone contemplating adding additional material to their application. Got in to Virginia Law with a 171 and a 2.7 so I definitely believe they strongly value Why essays and other supplemental pieces. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

split_777

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby split_777 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 pm

aboveandbeyond wrote:soft factors matter.

For anyone contemplating adding additional material to their application. Got in to Virginia Law with a 171 and a 2.7 so I definitely believe they strongly value Why essays and other supplemental pieces. Best of luck to everyone waiting!


Can confirm. Nearly identical stats.

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby xinaialice » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 am

mintygreen wrote:UR1 since 10/16, sent in a Why UVA, expecting a WL or rejection at this point :(
Very sad :(



UR since 9/29.. we are in the same boat..

lollering_99

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby lollering_99 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 am

Hello All

Does anyone know if you can convert a regular decision application to early decision as long as it is still being reviewed?

Also, do I assume correctly that a Why UVA statement should be a page or less?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:55 am

lollering_99 wrote:Hello All

Does anyone know if you can convert a regular decision application to early decision as long as it is still being reviewed?

Also, do I assume correctly that a Why UVA statement should be a page or less?

Yes and yes. Although I don’t recommend applying ED since you’ll probably end up paying sticker. UVA is great but no school is worth that.

User avatar
andysimbi

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby andysimbi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 am

Waitlisted via email this morning

User avatar
alykdesire

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby alykdesire » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:01 am

andysimbi wrote:Waitlisted via email this morning


When did you submit?

User avatar
andysimbi

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby andysimbi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 am

alykdesire wrote:
andysimbi wrote:Waitlisted via email this morning


When did you submit?


Feels like it happened another lifetime, but I went complete/under review on 9/14.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

Me waiting on my inevitable waitlist email:

[+] Spoiler
Image
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am

Ntp73821 wrote:Me waiting on my inevitable waitlist acceptance with a Dillard email:

fixed that for you (:

lollering_99

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby lollering_99 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
lollering_99 wrote:Hello All

Does anyone know if you can convert a regular decision application to early decision as long as it is still being reviewed?

Also, do I assume correctly that a Why UVA statement should be a page or less?

Yes and yes. Although I don’t recommend applying ED since you’ll probably end up paying sticker. UVA is great but no school is worth that.


I know what you mean - UVA's pricetag is no joke. I'm concerned since I will be a pretty big reverse splitter - but I hope that a few years of relevant work experience and very high GPA/undergrad performance will shine through. Fingers crossed.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am

Mikey wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:Me waiting on my inevitable waitlist acceptance with a Dillard email:

fixed that for you (:

Ily <3 lol
But good joke
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theharleyquinn

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby theharleyquinn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 am

In via status checker this morning!

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Ntp73821 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 am

theharleyquinn wrote:In via status checker this morning!

Congrats!!!

There is good among all of the disappointment UVA has brought to the world today. :lol:
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theharleyquinn

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby theharleyquinn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:In via status checker this morning!

Congrats!!!

There is good among all of the disappointment UVA has brought to the world today. :lol:


Thanks!! As we're creeping closer to February, everything has gotten kind of weird with ghosting. I for sure thought I would get waitlisted/dinged until movement happened last week. Hoping you hear back soon with good news!

jacobw2460

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:05 am

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jacobw2460 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am

theharleyquinn wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:In via status checker this morning!

Congrats!!!

There is good among all of the disappointment UVA has brought to the world today. :lol:


Thanks!! As we're creeping closer to February, everything has gotten kind of weird with ghosting. I for sure thought I would get waitlisted/dinged until movement happened last week. Hoping you hear back soon with good news!


Did you end up interviewing with an admissions officer?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 17 guests