UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your app status?

In with scholly!
13%
In, no scholly yet...
16%
Waitlisted
7%
Dinged
2%
Ghosted
59%
Eww I didn't apply
4%

Total votes: 192

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by TasmanianToucan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 am

UVA 3L here.

Just wanted to share my experience here in the hope that it may provide comfort to some of you.

I applied around Thanksgiving and was interviewed in December, but didn't get an acceptance email until late February.

Don't lose hope. Not everyone gets the "typical" UVA experience.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am

Last edited by etramak on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey85

New

Post by mikey85 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 am

For those of us who didn't get financial aid information in our acceptance packages, has anyone had any word from the financial aid office at all?

Dickens

New

Post by Dickens » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 pm

etramak wrote:Starting to think UVA forgot about my app
Same and NYU too :(

evanrn

New

Post by evanrn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:04 pm

mikey85 wrote:For those of us who didn't get financial aid information in our acceptance packages, has anyone had any word from the financial aid office at all?
Should start hearing in mid-to-late Feb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:07 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:UVA 3L here.

Just wanted to share my experience here in the hope that it may provide comfort to some of you.

I applied around Thanksgiving and was interviewed in December, but didn't get an acceptance email until late February.

How's your experience been at UVA? Would you choose it again?

We're all aware of the employment statistics, but did you feel landing a job has been/will be fairly easy?

mimi1293

New

Post by mimi1293 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Dickens wrote:

Same

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

mimi1293 wrote:
Dickens wrote:

Same
hi friends

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 pm

mwells56 wrote:
mimi1293 wrote:
Dickens wrote:

Same
hi friends
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

We have a purgatory poll in the NYU thread. I think one would be fitting here, given that some of us have been stuck at UR1 or UR2 for a long time.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 pm

albinododobird wrote:We have a purgatory poll in the NYU thread. I think one would be fitting here, given that some of us have been stuck at UR1 or UR2 for a long time.
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm

principalagent wrote:
albinododobird wrote:We have a purgatory poll in the NYU thread. I think one would be fitting here, given that some of us have been stuck at UR1 or UR2 for a long time.
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Will do it tonight. Apologies for being a shitty OP last few months.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Will do it tonight. Apologies for being a shitty OP last few months.
If you get admitted on the first day apps open, you're allowed to be a shitty OP :p

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

principalagent wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Will do it tonight. Apologies for being a shitty OP last few months.
If you get admitted on the first day apps open, you're allowed to be a shitty OP :p
should have OPd for Michigan, basically UVAs clone except that they want to wait until May to make a decision on me.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am

AaronCarter wrote:

We're all aware of the employment statistics, but did you feel landing a job has been/will be fairly easy?
I would definitely choose it again. I won't regurgitate the UVA talking points, but they're true. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm going into my sixth (!!!) semester here and still have genuine affection for the place, which is more than I can say for most of my friends at other law schools.

Biglaw is a very achievable goal here. It's a smoothly paved path, and most people do very well as long as they follow the career office's advice and put in the work required. The few people I knew that didn't get something they were happy with got themselves into that situation by not doing what they were told. Even my friends on the unhappy side of the curve did fine as long as they worked at it.

I don't know much about public service or clerkships because I need money right now, but everyone I know who wanted a clerkship and (again) did what they were told has one they are happy about. The nature of public service means that most people won't have their jobs lined up until after they take the bar, which is crazy, so we'll see how that goes.

Of course, if the market takes a shit and firm hiring goes down, that will fuck everything up, so lets just hope that doesn't happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:06 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

I would definitely choose it again. I won't regurgitate the UVA talking points, but they're true. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm going into my sixth (!!!) semester here and still have genuine affection for the place, which is more than I can say for most of my friends at other law schools.

Biglaw is a very achievable goal here. It's a smoothly paved path, and most people do very well as long as they follow the career office's advice and put in the work required. The few people I knew that didn't get something they were happy with got themselves into that situation by not doing what they were told. Even my friends on the unhappy side of the curve did fine as long as they worked at it.

I don't know much about public service or clerkships because I need money right now, but everyone I know who wanted a clerkship and (again) did what they were told has one they are happy about. The nature of public service means that most people won't have their jobs lined up until after they take the bar, which is crazy, so we'll see how that goes.

Of course, if the market takes a shit and firm hiring goes down, that will fuck everything up, so lets just hope that doesn't happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
This is probably the only thing that has given me pause about UVA. Do you feel that a lot of the career success you've experienced is due to the job market in general improving right now? In the event of an economic downturn which we are supposedly overdue for, do you feel that UVA has given you certain advantages (either through its alum network or career services) over people from peer or "better" (i.e. so-called "prestigious name") schools?

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 am

38981928 wrote:This is probably the only thing that has given me pause about UVA. Do you feel that a lot of the career success you've experienced is due to the job market in general improving right now? In the event of an economic downturn which we are supposedly overdue for, do you feel that UVA has given you certain advantages (either through its alum network or career services) over people from peer or "better" (i.e. so-called "prestigious name") schools?
The tide lifts or sinks all boats. If the market takes a crap it will hurt the other schools just as much (and for those schools with giant class sizes, maybe even more). It did last time, and would next time.

The firms don't care about lay prestige. I have found UVA to be well represented at most firms, and the school has a good reputation for producing juniors who are both smart and socially aware, which is apparently a rarer combination than you might think.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:23 am

TasmanianToucan wrote: Let me know if you have any other questions.
I am stuck between UT and UVA for Texas Biglaw. Do you feel that I would be at any disadvantage to a job in that market from UVA as compared to UT? Unless UT bumps up their offer UVA is the cheaper option by about 25k.

Also, what kinds of things would a stay-at-home mom have to do in Charlottseville? My wife is used to big cities, and I don't want to make her feel isolated/alone during my law school experience. Her happiness will play a major role in where I matriculate. Do you think it would be very important for her to visit C-ville before I make a decision? Because of finances we aren't sure she can join for ASW, but I'm willing to put in time at work to help make that possible if it will help her.

I'm already certain she would LOVE Austin, and just want to make sure I cut her short by going to UVA.

bababoom

New

Post by bababoom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am

Does anybody get into UVA without an interview?

I've been UR1 since 10/27, 3.5/174, and UVA is the only school I haven't heard back from with the exception of Harvard/Stanford. It's not one of my top choices (leaning NYU) but i'm just getting frustrated with hearing nothing for months on end. Should i even keep checking the status checker or should I assume I won't hear anything back at this point unless it's an interview request, WL or ding?

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am

dallinpackard wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote: Let me know if you have any other questions.
I am stuck between UT and UVA for Texas Biglaw. Do you feel that I would be at any disadvantage to a job in that market from UVA as compared to UT? Unless UT bumps up their offer UVA is the cheaper option by about 25k.

Also, what kinds of things would a stay-at-home mom have to do in Charlottseville? My wife is used to big cities, and I don't want to make her feel isolated/alone during my law school experience. Her happiness will play a major role in where I matriculate. Do you think it would be very important for her to visit C-ville before I make a decision? Because of finances we aren't sure she can join for ASW, but I'm willing to put in time at work to help make that possible if it will help her.

I'm already certain she would LOVE Austin, and just want to make sure I cut her short by going to UVA.
Assuming you're from Texas (and therefore can demonstrate Texas ties), getting to Texas biglaw is not particularly difficult from UVA. There is even a "Lone Star Lawyers" student group here that is pretty active and does great Texas-oriented networking. Given that only around 35% of UT's class goes to biglaw, it may even be easier to get to Texas biglaw from UVA, but it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

The second question is harder for me to answer. I don't really know what kind of things stay-at-home moms do. I can say that my wife loves Charlottesville, but she works, so a lot of her time is accounted for. I think the people who love Charlottesville the most tend to be outdoorsy, because the surrounding area is great for hiking and cycling. That said, it does feel like a small town and that can be a little isolating. My biggest tip is to include your spouse in your law school social life. My wife's best friends here are law students, which is really nice.

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
The second question is harder for me to answer. I don't really know what kind of things stay-at-home moms do. I can say that my wife loves Charlottesville, but she works, so a lot of her time is accounted for. I think the people who love Charlottesville the most tend to be outdoorsy, because the surrounding area is great for hiking and cycling. That said, it does feel like a small town and that can be a little isolating. My biggest tip is to include your spouse in your law school social life. My wife's best friends here are law students, which is really nice.
Did your wife have employment lined up before you moved to Charlottesville? The job market for significant others is something that gives me mild pause when it comes to UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InvisiblePineapple

New

Post by InvisiblePineapple » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am

So I've been UR1 since 11/2 and still no interview request. However, they've only had my (higher) December LSAT score and addendum that I submitted after the fact since they came back to work on 1/2 (I didn't ask them to hold, but I guess they could have decided to themselves). Is it too early for me to write a Why UVA? Should I hang in another couple of weeks before I bother them again?

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Bojack93 wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
Did your wife have employment lined up before you moved to Charlottesville? The job market for significant others is something that gives me mild pause when it comes to UVA.
She did. The job market for SOs is heavily dependent on their line of work. Feel free to PM me for more details.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

38981928 wrote: This is probably the only thing that has given me pause about UVA. Do you feel that a lot of the career success you've experienced is due to the job market in general improving right now? In the event of an economic downturn which we are supposedly overdue for, do you feel that UVA has given you certain advantages (either through its alum network or career services) over people from peer or "better" (i.e. so-called "prestigious name") schools?
Peer schools are peer schools. Outcomes will be similar. That said, my friends who were in the classes of 2012-15 invariably seem to have had good outcomes, and those were not as strong hiring periods as we see today. I think the school is well placed to help with an economic downturn, at least through the Kennedy Fellowship scheme.

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm

InvisiblePineapple wrote:So I've been UR1 since 11/2 and still no interview request. However, they've only had my (higher) December LSAT score and addendum that I submitted after the fact since they came back to work on 1/2 (I didn't ask them to hold, but I guess they could have decided to themselves). Is it too early for me to write a Why UVA? Should I hang in another couple of weeks before I bother them again?
My understanding is that they like Why UVA essays, so maybe consider doing one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”