Page 3 of 4

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:45 pm
by OakBrook2021
clueless801 wrote:Sigh... probably going to get dinged but going to apply anyway. Did that NYU webinar just now and learned some stuff: 1) submit that LSAT addendum if you have multiple scores otherwise they’re going to average and 2) if you have a reportable score, your application is complete and it’s at their discretion to count any future scores.

Can someone who already applied explain the whole sent vs complete thing?


Even though you send in your app on X date, it isn't marked complete until the school has received all the materials and confirmed you have all the requirements for consideration. This usually happens a few days after you send in the app for most schools and they'll send you an email letting you know you are marked as complete

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:50 pm
by InterLaw
clueless801 wrote: 1) submit that LSAT addendum if you have multiple scores otherwise they’re going to average


Shit... Really? I have two scores with 13 points of difference but I sent no addendum...

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 pm
by Mikey
clueless801 wrote:Sigh... probably going to get dinged but going to apply anyway. Did that NYU webinar just now and learned some stuff: 1) submit that LSAT addendum if you have multiple scores otherwise they’re going to average and 2) if you have a reportable score, your application is complete and it’s at their discretion to count any future scores.

Can someone who already applied explain the whole sent vs complete thing?

wait, they actually said they will average your scores without an addendum? wtf

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:10 pm
by clueless801
Mikey wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Sigh... probably going to get dinged but going to apply anyway. Did that NYU webinar just now and learned some stuff: 1) submit that LSAT addendum if you have multiple scores otherwise they’re going to average and 2) if you have a reportable score, your application is complete and it’s at their discretion to count any future scores.

Can someone who already applied explain the whole sent vs complete thing?

wait, they actually said they will average your scores without an addendum? wtf


Yup. Idk how to post a picture but I took a screenshot of the question they answered in the webinar. So send those addendum as people!

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 pm
by clueless801
OakBrook2021 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Can someone who already applied explain the whole sent vs complete thing?


Even though you send in your app on X date, it isn't marked complete until the school has received all the materials and confirmed you have all the requirements for consideration. This usually happens a few days after you send in the app for most schools and they'll send you an email letting you know you are marked as complete


Okay, so if I'm applying to one of their named schollies which have a January 1st deadline, when's the latest I can submit my app for it to be considered complete? Or is just having it submitted by that date sufficient? I have pretty much everything in CAS - recs, transcripts, academic summary report, etc. Just need to polish the statements. I'm probably taking in December so don't want to be rejected with the score I already have on file...

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:06 pm
by Mikey
clueless801 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Sigh... probably going to get dinged but going to apply anyway. Did that NYU webinar just now and learned some stuff: 1) submit that LSAT addendum if you have multiple scores otherwise they’re going to average and 2) if you have a reportable score, your application is complete and it’s at their discretion to count any future scores.

Can someone who already applied explain the whole sent vs complete thing?

wait, they actually said they will average your scores without an addendum? wtf


Yup. Idk how to post a picture but I took a screenshot of the question they answered in the webinar. So send those addendum as people!

you just got me scared

if they for some reason average my scores, I can kiss NYU goodbye :oops:

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:31 pm
by littlewing67
.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 pm
by Mikey

like, I've always known that they have that on their site and say they do but always thought it was bullshit since so many people with multiple takes get dope offers from them.

ugh, I mean I will write an addendum I guess, but deep down inside I still feel like it's just a front and they BS and really just care about highest scores. I feel like they'd be at such a huge disadvantage if they did do that though, no? compared to like Columbia or something.. idk..

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm
by OakBrook2021
clueless801 wrote:when's the latest I can submit my app for it to be considered complete?


That's probably a question the office of admissions can answer. I'd stay on the safe side and be sure to have it completed before january 1st. If you want to haven an idea, you can see how long is usually takes for an NYU app to complete on lsn

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:03 pm
by InterLaw
So, should I send an LSAT addendum by email? I mean, I already sent PS + DS + Adv S + AnBryce... I don't want it to be too much!

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 pm
by DowsingForAJD
Is it just me or does it make absolutely no sense for them to average LSATs? What incentive do they have to do that? They report the highest to the ABA just like every other school.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 am
by Mikey
DowsingForAJD wrote:Is it just me or does it make absolutely no sense for them to average LSATs? What incentive do they have to do that? They report the highest to the ABA just like every other school.

I personally think it's a front they play, but honestly they're only playing themselves if they actually do that. They'd lose so many potential students to other schools in their same ball park..

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am
by rideagain
I really question whether or not they average. I went to an admissions event last night for some T14's and they said they see and "consider" all scores- but they take the highest, regardless of number of takes. Makes total sense; they'll consider the context of how many you took and what those scores were but evaluate you based pretty much on your highest score. I think that NYU is probably more along those lines. They'll consider all your scores, but the highest is what matters.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:08 pm
by soca_dancer
InterLaw wrote:So, should I send an LSAT addendum by email? I mean, I already sent PS + DS + Adv S + AnBryce... I don't want it to be too much!


Curious, what's the Adv S?

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm
by InterLaw
soca_dancer wrote:
InterLaw wrote:So, should I send an LSAT addendum by email? I mean, I already sent PS + DS + Adv S + AnBryce... I don't want it to be too much!


Curious, what's the Adv S?


Look in PM!

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 pm
by #gobroncos
If I apply for the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship, or any other scholarship for that matter, will that affect the decision on their end as to whether or not to give me a merit scholarship? Like will applying for a PI scholarship disqualify me from possibly receiving a Vanderbilt (not that I'm counting on this outcome)?

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:26 pm
by principalagent
#gobroncos wrote:If I apply for the Root-Tilden-Kern Scholarship, or any other scholarship for that matter, will that affect the decision on their end as to whether or not to give me a merit scholarship? Like will applying for a PI scholarship disqualify me from possibly receiving a Vanderbilt (not that I'm counting on this outcome)?

I've heard that people who were AnBryce finalists but don't get the named scholarship are given quite generous offers any way. I'm sure it's not too different for RTK.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 am
by BronxToBoston
Nearly ready to submit, but I'm unsure about my RTK essay. Is it one 750-word essay for each specific RTK scholarship, or one 750-word essay for RTK as an umbrella? (e.g. 750 words for Lindemann, 750 words for Jacobson, 750 words for Filomen, etc...or 750 words for all of them at once)

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm
by SopranoSaxophone
Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending? This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed.

Does this refer to speeding tickets, failure to yield tickets? This language is more vague than most other school's C&F questions.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm
by RSolano
SopranoSaxophone wrote:Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending? This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed.

Does this refer to speeding tickets, failure to yield tickets? This language is more vague than most other school's C&F questions.


I'm gonna put my speeding ticket on there yes, an offense

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 pm
by Ron.Swanson
Checking in!

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 pm
by SopranoSaxophone
For AnBryce, does being the first to pursue a graduate or professional degree mean that one of your parents can still have a college bachelors degree and it's okay? I want to be SUPER careful before I apply that I don't certify I'm the first to pursue a "graduate or professional" degree if bachelors counts as one, because my father has a bachelors. No on in my family has ever gotten a masters, PhD, anything along those lines--which is how I am defining "graduate or professional" in my head, but I just want to double-check.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 pm
by Platopus
SopranoSaxophone wrote:For AnBryce, does being the first to pursue a graduate or professional degree mean that one of your parents can still have a college bachelors degree and it's okay? I want to be SUPER careful before I apply that I don't certify I'm the first to pursue a "graduate or professional" degree if bachelors counts as one, because my father has a bachelors. No on in my family has ever gotten a masters, PhD, anything along those lines--which is how I am defining "graduate or professional" in my head, but I just want to double-check.


That's my take. I don't consider a bachelors a "professional or graduate" degree.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 am
by carmtastic
Anyone know how long after the release of Sept 2017 scores before NYU will be sending out waivers? Eager to submit my app in now that I've got my score but they hit me with a wait for CRS when I asked for a merit one today.

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am
by thehours
Hi! Checking in. Are there actual admissions advantages to applying ED?