NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is your current status? (pick 2)

UR1 since Sept-Oct
3
1%
UR1 since Nov
7
2%
UR1 since Dec-Jan
53
15%
UR2 since Oct
5
1%
UR2 since Nov
5
1%
UR2 since Dec-Jan
96
27%
Accepted (congrats but gtfo)
67
19%
Email ("hold tight")
56
16%
No Email (''hold tight")
61
17%
I didn't even apply yet bruh
4
1%
 
Total votes: 357

User avatar
ilpsm

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 am

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby ilpsm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
rachelac wrote:
missmiabuttface wrote:To all admits/peeps who may actually attend NYU, how are you planning on dealing with housing? On-campus or off-campus? Commuting?


I'm leaning toward on-campus right now but a ton is dependent on financial aid (if I get a good scholarship I'll be less worried about COL) and which of my college friends are in NYC at the time. Wouldn't want to live with a random non-NYU roommate nor could I afford to live alone.


Okay, I live in NYC, so here is my two cents:

NYU housing is ABSURDLY over-priced. It's (maybe) below market for Greenwich Village, but you can find far, far cheaper within commuting distance. Also, finding roommates who aren't sketchy is actually not that difficult - I've roommate hunted twice, and have a long list of apps that I used. But seriously - you can easily save 1k a month by just apartment hunting and not taking the NYU housing. (I have a friend in the law school that lives in the housing, and it is also V small and not that nice tbh)


completely agree with this - anyone who has questions about living in new york please feel free to reach out!
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby tinycatfriend » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm

rachelac wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
rachelac wrote:
missmiabuttface wrote:To all admits/peeps who may actually attend NYU, how are you planning on dealing with housing? On-campus or off-campus? Commuting?


I'm leaning toward on-campus right now but a ton is dependent on financial aid (if I get a good scholarship I'll be less worried about COL) and which of my college friends are in NYC at the time. Wouldn't want to live with a random non-NYU roommate nor could I afford to live alone.


Okay, I live in NYC, so here is my two cents:

NYU housing is ABSURDLY over-priced. It's (maybe) below market for Greenwich Village, but you can find far, far cheaper within commuting distance. Also, finding roommates who aren't sketchy is actually not that difficult - I've roommate hunted twice, and have a long list of apps that I used. But seriously - you can easily save 1k a month by just apartment hunting and not taking the NYU housing. (I have a friend in the law school that lives in the housing, and it is also V small and not that nice tbh)


wow I appreciate this and you so much! I'll definitely wait to decide til after ASW and talk to more of my friends who have lived in New York. I really don't have a handle on it at all tbh; I've spent most of my life in medium-sized cities and NYC really overwhelms me


Feel free to PM me for more details on neighborhoods/average rent etc when you're hunting! Happy to help anyone fight this nightmare of a rental market (I joke, but honestly, some legwork got me an incredible and huge apt in a great neighborhood for cheap - so it is possible!)

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby principalagent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

rachelac wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
rachelac wrote:
missmiabuttface wrote:To all admits/peeps who may actually attend NYU, how are you planning on dealing with housing? On-campus or off-campus? Commuting?


I'm leaning toward on-campus right now but a ton is dependent on financial aid (if I get a good scholarship I'll be less worried about COL) and which of my college friends are in NYC at the time. Wouldn't want to live with a random non-NYU roommate nor could I afford to live alone.


Okay, I live in NYC, so here is my two cents:

NYU housing is ABSURDLY over-priced. It's (maybe) below market for Greenwich Village, but you can find far, far cheaper within commuting distance. Also, finding roommates who aren't sketchy is actually not that difficult - I've roommate hunted twice, and have a long list of apps that I used. But seriously - you can easily save 1k a month by just apartment hunting and not taking the NYU housing. (I have a friend in the law school that lives in the housing, and it is also V small and not that nice tbh)


wow I appreciate this and you so much! I'll definitely wait to decide til after ASW and talk to more of my friends who have lived in New York. I really don't have a handle on it at all tbh; I've spent most of my life in medium-sized cities and NYC really overwhelms me


Co-signing tinycatfriend 100%. I went apartment hunting for a summer sublet in NYC back in undergrad, and while it is a quick and stressful market (nothing really opens up before a month out, and the really hot time is mid-month (~two weeks before your lease starts on the first)), you can get a great deal in a great part of town if you are patient, yet quick. I had a decent flex bedroom in a flexed 2br (empty space in a 1br converted to a 2nd br) that cost me (~20%) less than NYU's housing would cost in a 9 month period and it was in an area of town that's just a 20-25 min walk away. You'll definitely have great options.

sarcasterix

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby sarcasterix » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 pm

cwasser3 wrote:
sarcasterix wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:
sarcasterix wrote:Has anyone on here who applied for RTK or other scholarships and went UR1 between the end of December and early January gone UR2 yet?


I definitely have not - I hope sending it so close to the deadline didn't affect me so much.


Same. I'm guessing there were a lot of us that did it right near the new year though. It looks like last year there was a wave that went UR2 1/10 and accepted 1/24 and then another accepted wave 1/31 and then ding waves 2/3 and 2/10 (where people went UR2 1/17 and 1/20). I'm just hoping that the fact I haven't gone UR2 yet doesn't preclude me from next few acceptance waves! Although, apparently you don't need to go UR2 to get accepted (I've just seen that mentioned but not actual proof of that).


Were all the people who went UR2 1/17 and 1/20 dinged? I just went UR2 today and am hoping it's not a bad sign.


I'm not sure, I didn't make it through everything. I don't think we can really tell though since it could be later this year anyways. I just want to know if/when any RTK/scholarship applicants that applied near the deadline have gone UR2 or accepted yet, that might be more telling.

LSNlife

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby LSNlife » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Just got a “hold tight we’re still reviewing email” sigh, guess I’ll go change my poll responses now...

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby principalagent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

TLS wrote:Just got a “hold tight we’re still reviewing email” sigh, guess I’ll go change my poll responses now...


Three waves of these? Yikes

cwasser3

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby cwasser3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

TLS wrote:Just got a “hold tight we’re still reviewing email” sigh, guess I’ll go change my poll responses now...


When did you go UR2?

JackieChiles2021

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby JackieChiles2021 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 pm

*mini heart attack*

edit: UR2 12/26

LSNlife

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby LSNlife » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:00 pm

cwasser3 wrote:
TLS wrote:Just got a “hold tight we’re still reviewing email” sigh, guess I’ll go change my poll responses now...


When did you go UR2?


12/21

ToddCraines

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby ToddCraines » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm

UR2 since 12/18, still no email. I think I would rather have one at this point

saltshaker

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby saltshaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm

JackieChiles2021 wrote:*mini heart attack*

edit: UR2 12/26


I went UR2 on the same day as you and didn't receive this email (or any email, for that matter). Does this mean my decision is coming next week?

Or am I just a total throwaway?

JBerez

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 am

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby JBerez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 pm

TLS wrote:Just got a “hold tight we’re still reviewing email” sigh, guess I’ll go change my poll responses now...

Same here... UR2 12/31.

wiseman96

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby wiseman96 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Have any Vanderbilts been awarded yet? If not, does anyone know when these usually start rolling out?

cwasser3

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby cwasser3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.

Teacher

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Teacher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm

cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.

cwasser3

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby cwasser3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?

User avatar
AlPastor

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby AlPastor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:48 pm

For anyone who got the email for the Admitted Students DC event, is your link working? Mine isn't but I wanted to check here before contacting the admissions office. Thanks!

Teacher

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Teacher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:52 pm

cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?


Nope! Just went UR2 1/17. But BLAPA stands for black, Latino, and Asian Pacific Association. And I’m not any of those. So I’m wondering if it’s a generic email?

cwasser3

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby cwasser3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?


Nope! Just went UR2 1/17. But BLAPA stands for black, Latino, and Asian Pacific Association. And I’m not any of those. So I’m wondering if it’s a generic email?


I think so. I'm not any of them either.

gotmilk332

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby gotmilk332 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 pm

cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?


Nope! Just went UR2 1/17. But BLAPA stands for black, Latino, and Asian Pacific Association. And I’m not any of those. So I’m wondering if it’s a generic email?


I think so. I'm not any of them either.


I’m Latina, I was accepted a week ago, and I got that on my status checker as well. Not sure what that means for you though, hopefully good news!

cwasser3

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby cwasser3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:04 pm

gotmilk332 wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?


Nope! Just went UR2 1/17. But BLAPA stands for black, Latino, and Asian Pacific Association. And I’m not any of those. So I’m wondering if it’s a generic email?


I think so. I'm not any of them either.


I’m Latina, I was accepted a week ago, and I got that on my status checker as well. Not sure what that means for you though, hopefully good news!


Did any of you apply for RTK or any of the other scholarships? And thanks and congratulations!
Last edited by cwasser3 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teacher

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Teacher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:13 pm

cwasser3 wrote:
gotmilk332 wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:
Teacher wrote:
cwasser3 wrote:Hey, so I haven't been accepted (yet hopefully) but when I checked my status checker, under mailings it now says BLAPA Dinner Invitation mailing date 1/19/2018. I haven't received anything but maybe it's snail mail? Hopefully it's a good sign.



Just checked mine and it says the same thing; also haven’t received anything.


Thanks! Have you already been accepted?


Nope! Just went UR2 1/17. But BLAPA stands for black, Latino, and Asian Pacific Association. And I’m not any of those. So I’m wondering if it’s a generic email?


I think so. I'm not any of them either.


I’m Latina, I was accepted a week ago, and I got that on my status checker as well. Not sure what that means for you though, hopefully good news!


Did any of you apply for RTK or any of the other scholarships? And thanks!



I didn’t. But I did some digging, and it looks like BLAPA is involved with public interest scholars at NYU maybe? I’m interested in public interest law and have been a public school teacher since college. Did you indicate that you were interested in public service (or apply for RTL?)

And congrats gotmilk!!

User avatar
andysimbi

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby andysimbi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Did anyone else get an email suggesting that you should apply for one of the scholarship programs?

WilliamFaulkner

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby WilliamFaulkner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Has anyone not yet at UR2 gotten the email? I have been UR1 since early December and not receiving emails, starting to think a ding is imminent.

albinododobird

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby albinododobird » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:Has anyone not yet at UR2 gotten the email? I have been UR1 since early December and not receiving emails, starting to think a ding is imminent.

I went UR1 on 11/2. Got the email.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 23 guests