TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rachelac

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by rachelac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Last edited by rachelac on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm

PrezRand wrote:
rachelac wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Is it too late to solicit fee waivers from schools?
Definitely not, they'll do a wave for September LSAT people too
I have a very personal reason for why i can't submit an LSAC Fee waiver application. Should I include that in my request to schools individually?
I know a few people for whom filing an LSAC fee waiver is a problem for personal reasons. You can PM me if you want; no pressure.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:46 pm

What do you think about personal statements that are just under 2 pages. Maybe 3-4 lines on a word doc before its 2 full pages.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:36 pm

I've already gotten scholarship offers from UGA and Alabama. Vanderbilt interview is scheduled for tomorrow. No other responses yet. I filled out all of my apps in the beginning of September as soon as they opened.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:10 pm

Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Ideally I'd say leather messenger bag if I was in a suit, but idk if I could fit my travel necessities in one. Either way, what are people's opinions on this? This is a huge advantage for women since they have magical purses that can seemingly store an infinite amount of stuff and still look professional

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:25 pm

twiix wrote:Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Ideally I'd say leather messenger bag if I was in a suit, but idk if I could fit my travel necessities in one. Either way, what are people's opinions on this? This is a huge advantage for women since they have magical purses that can seemingly store an infinite amount of stuff and still look professional
Does your hotel have a bag check? Usually, they're willing to hold your luggage for the afternoon. Sometimes it's free (or at least, just a tip), sometimes a small charge, but way better than the late checkout fee either way.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am

wmbuff wrote:
twiix wrote:Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Does your hotel have a bag check? Usually, they're willing to hold your luggage for the afternoon. Sometimes it's free (or at least, just a tip), sometimes a small charge, but way better than the late checkout fee either way.
Ah yes, luggage hold. I've heard it before but haven't traveled into the large cities much so it's never really been an issue for me. Thank you so much - they do offer it and it should take care of a lot of the stress related to this trip.

I am a pleb and was going to do late checkout for like 6 hours, but that shit racked up charges REAL quick.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Just completed my FAFSA and my last application, both of which opened today. About to go meet with the Vanderbilt interviewer. Already have two acceptances with scholarships under my belt (UGA and Alabama). Alabama is booking my hotel and reimbursing my gas to visit next week. Now it's just a waiting game to hear from the other schools. Feels good man.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:Just completed my FAFSA and my last application, both of which opened today. About to go meet with the Vanderbilt interviewer. Already have two acceptances with scholarships under my belt (UGA and Alabama). Alabama is booking my hotel and reimbursing my gas to visit next week. Now it's just a waiting game to hear from the other schools. Feels good man.
We have to do this now?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 am

I've been to the LSAC forum and I honestly don't think it's a big deal to have a backpack. They're not going to look at you negatively for it--when I went, there were others there with backpacks, suitcases, and some people brought their parents (though I'm not sure I'd recommend that, per se, lol).

Unless your backpack is something really wild or inappropriate, I really don't think it'll be held against you (or even remembered, honestly).

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 am

Hey sorry to post this probably repetitive questions, but could anyone give a hint just how important Why essays are (except T6)? I remember seeing a similar post/reply somewhere, but my search function just does not seem to work at all...

Specifically, I am thinking about UPenn/UVA/Duke.

I am asking this mainly because I have everything else done, but the option to write a Why essay keeps torturing me. Strategically speaking, not much time left before September scores coming out, and I don't think my Why essays would be the most sincere. Will it really be a grave disadvantage for these schools not writing a Why essay? For reference, stats just a tiny bit above their 75%s.

Thanks for any response!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:33 am

Aricole wrote:Hey sorry to post this probably repetitive questions, but could anyone give a hint just how important Why essays are (except T6)? I remember seeing a similar post/reply somewhere, but my search function just does not seem to work at all...

Specifically, I am thinking about UPenn/UVA/Duke.

I am asking this mainly because I have everything else done, but the option to write a Why essay keeps torturing me. Strategically speaking, not much time left before September scores coming out, and I don't think my Why essays would be the most sincere. Will it really be a grave disadvantage for these schools not writing a Why essay? For reference, stats just a tiny bit above their 75%s.

Thanks for any response!
General wisdom is: Write one for MVPD, they have an impact. However, a half-hatred why x does more harm than good; if you really can't write a sincere essay, don't!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 am

Good luck guys.
I'm a 1L at USC don't be afraid to ask me any questions.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Good luck guys.
How's the school location? I lived nearby LA for some months and I remember that USC building is downtown right? Which isn't the best area of the city... I submitted to USC but a bit skeptical about that. UCLA hasn't such a problem :mrgreen:

Also, how do you like it so far? Do you know anyone doing the double degree with Marshall BS?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 am

InterLaw wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Good luck guys.
How's the school location? I lived nearby LA for some months and I remember that USC building is downtown right? Which isn't the best area of the city... I submitted to USC but a bit skeptical about that. UCLA hasn't such a problem :mrgreen:

Also, how do you like it so far? Do you know anyone doing the double degree with Marshall BS?
The location is great. We are close to so many things. I haven't had a problem. They have USC security for miles in the city for back up also. I love living here in LA.

Law school is cool so far. A lot of reading like a fucking lot. It's doable though and the professors here are excellent. I have a lot of friends. Everyone I've met is pretty cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am

^ got it, thanks for the insight!

Just discovered a hidden fee waiver from UPenn, may throw an app their way despite internationals adversity... We need a thread tho! Who volunteers? I already got two threads...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 pm

rachelac wrote:Should I throw in a few more applications for scholarship negotiation before September scores are released?

I'm already in at two schools that I would be super happy going to and have a decent scholarship at one of them. I basically blanketed T14s (minus Yale because I don't have the GPA and Penn and Cornell because I'm not interested) and am wondering if I should apply to Penn and Cornell too (both fees are waived but I'm worried about Why X seeming insincere) as well as potentially GULC and WUSTL (but I know GULC is stingy and I'm not convinced WUSTL would have any leverage at MVPD or higher, which is where I'm aiming).

Any thoughts on that? I get the whole return-on-investment thing, but I don't know if a potential full ride at WUSTL would be worth any more than the 50k/year I already have at a MVPD.

(Quick edit- I recognize I'm not guaranteed a full ride at WUSTL but my numbers/cycle so far seem very competitive for one. Not trying to be presumptuous.)
I would not turn down 50k yearly at MVPD for anything except a full ride at T6, or at least a half ride at T6. So, I think you'd be wasting your money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Im filling out my Notre Dame app and there is an optional DKL (different kind of lawyer) essay which Ive never heard of before. Do other schools have this as well, or is this just an ND thing? The description of what the essay should entail seems pretty broad, but I just don't even know where to begin with it. If anyone has written a DKL essay before shoot me a PM, Id like to hear at least the general direction you went with this thing.

Facelessgod

New

Post by Facelessgod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

andysimbi wrote:

I've been to the LSAC forum and I honestly don't think it's a big deal to have a backpack. They're not going to look at you negatively for it--when I went, there were others there with backpacks, suitcases, and some people brought their parents (though I'm not sure I'd recommend that, per se, lol).

Unless your backpack is something really wild or inappropriate, I really don't think it'll be held against you (or even remembered, honestly).
Thanks for the insight! I was considering flying out to the forum early in the morning and flying back home at night afterwards so I wouldn't be booking a hotel. Would it be weird to walk around with like a resume portfolio to take notes? I'm planning on incorporating some of the conversations I have at the forum into my Why X statements.

Also, how was the dress code? I was just planning on wearing a suit but am kind of interested in how most of the other people are dressed.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Facelessgod wrote:
andysimbi wrote:

Thanks for the insight! I was considering flying out to the forum early in the morning and flying back home at night afterwards so I wouldn't be booking a hotel. Would it be weird to walk around with like a resume portfolio to take notes? I'm planning on incorporating some of the conversations I have at the forum into my Why X statements.

Also, how was the dress code? I was just planning on wearing a suit but am kind of interested in how most of the other people are dressed.
interested in the question about notes as well, but definitely suit up. You won't stand out in a suit (which is what you want).

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Facelessgod wrote:
andysimbi wrote:

Nope, I think it'd be totally normal to take notes. I did as well, though I just used the notes app on my phone and entered things in after I finished a conversation.

I didn't wear an actual suit, but I wore a button down and a blazer. From what I remember, I think it'd be smart to avoid jeans and t-shirts (clearly), but you're probably okay with anything else, as long as you look put together. You do want to be comfortable, though, since (at least where I went) the room was VERY crowded and got warm and the person dressed down a bit probably makes a better impression than the one in a suit with sweat dripping down his face.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”