TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is your ideal realistic outcome?

Y/S/H
48
22%
T10 named full scholarship
32
15%
Sub-T10 full
30
14%
T10 partial scholarship
70
32%
Sub-T10 partial scholarship
27
12%
retake (aka sub-T10 partial scholarship)
10
5%
 
Total votes: 217

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby chargers21 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Facelessgod wrote:
andysimbi wrote:
twiix wrote:Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Ideally I'd say leather messenger bag if I was in a suit, but idk if I could fit my travel necessities in one. Either way, what are people's opinions on this? This is a huge advantage for women since they have magical purses that can seemingly store an infinite amount of stuff and still look professional


I've been to the LSAC forum and I honestly don't think it's a big deal to have a backpack. They're not going to look at you negatively for it--when I went, there were others there with backpacks, suitcases, and some people brought their parents (though I'm not sure I'd recommend that, per se, lol).

Unless your backpack is something really wild or inappropriate, I really don't think it'll be held against you (or even remembered, honestly).


Thanks for the insight! I was considering flying out to the forum early in the morning and flying back home at night afterwards so I wouldn't be booking a hotel. Would it be weird to walk around with like a resume portfolio to take notes? I'm planning on incorporating some of the conversations I have at the forum into my Why X statements.

Also, how was the dress code? I was just planning on wearing a suit but am kind of interested in how most of the other people are dressed.

I wore a button up patterned shirt with a tie, left the jacket at home (mainly because it was hot as balls and I was taking the metro).

rachelac
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby rachelac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm

chargers21 wrote:
If you don't like cornell/northwestern/berkeley/penn and already have 50k/year from MVD, I doubt you'll have a negotiating chip from lower ranked schools and are safe holding back on more apps, especially WashU.


Thank you! That's been my feeling but I guess I was second guessing after seeing decisions and scholarships go out.

User avatar
urmlaw17
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby urmlaw17 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Right now I am in the process of emailing professors for LOR requests.

Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Submitted all of my applications, recommendations and all! Feels like a huge weight off my back.

Except Y...

njames1961
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby njames1961 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 pm

My stats are 173 / 3.93 from no-name public college. Do y'all think that my chances (including $) are weakened if I decline to write the optional essays for Penn, Berkeley and the like?

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1140
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Platopus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 pm

njames1961 wrote:My stats are 173 / 3.93 from no-name public college. Do y'all think that my chances (including $) are weakened if I decline to write the optional essays for Penn, Berkeley and the like?


It depends. These schools definitely YP, but at the same time, a weak and insincere Why X isn't going to help either. If you have the time, I would definitely try to put something together for the 2-3 schools you are most excited about. But realistically, you'll be looking at a handful of T-6 acceptances with decent money at CCN.

User avatar
Ron.Swanson
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Ron.Swanson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi, y'all. Checking. Have a lot of essays to write and am waiting on my first (and hopefully last) LSAT. :O

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby twiix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 am

Platopus wrote:
njames1961 wrote:My stats are 173 / 3.93 from no-name public college. Do y'all think that my chances (including $) are weakened if I decline to write the optional essays for Penn, Berkeley and the like?


It depends. These schools definitely YP, but at the same time, a weak and insincere Why X isn't going to help either. If you have the time, I would definitely try to put something together for the 2-3 schools you are most excited about. But realistically, you'll be looking at a handful of T-6 acceptances with decent money at CCN.


I feel like it takes literally 2 hours to come up with content to write a sincere WHy X. Just do it.

User avatar
DorkothyParker
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby DorkothyParker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm ready to submit, but will have to do it one at a time over the next month. (I submitted a safety first for self-esteem reasons). Because $40 ($38.XX w/ tax) is a lot of money even with the actual school fees waived.

njames1961
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby njames1961 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Platopus wrote:
njames1961 wrote:My stats are 173 / 3.93 from no-name public college. Do y'all think that my chances (including $) are weakened if I decline to write the optional essays for Penn, Berkeley and the like?


It depends. These schools definitely YP, but at the same time, a weak and insincere Why X isn't going to help either. If you have the time, I would definitely try to put something together for the 2-3 schools you are most excited about. But realistically, you'll be looking at a handful of T-6 acceptances with decent money at CCN.


Sorry, I'm an idiot...YP?

User avatar
Ntp73821
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Ntp73821 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 pm

njames1961 wrote:
Sorry, I'm an idiot...YP?


You’re not an idiot.
YP stands for yield protect.
Schools sometimes reject candidates who should easily get in because they know it’s unlikely the student will matriculate. Writing Why X statements (if sincere) help with this because it makes you seem genuinely interested in the school.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1140
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Platopus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

njames1961 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
njames1961 wrote:My stats are 173 / 3.93 from no-name public college. Do y'all think that my chances (including $) are weakened if I decline to write the optional essays for Penn, Berkeley and the like?


It depends. These schools definitely YP, but at the same time, a weak and insincere Why X isn't going to help either. If you have the time, I would definitely try to put something together for the 2-3 schools you are most excited about. But realistically, you'll be looking at a handful of T-6 acceptances with decent money at CCN.


Sorry, I'm an idiot...YP?


Just means that schools will put you on the waitlist in order to protect their "yield", or the number of admitted students who ultimately matriculate. In short, some schools recognize that you likely will be admitted to other higher ranked schools (probably with a scholarship), and are thus less likely to attend. We have similar numbers, and I'm expecting to get waitlisted at a couple of schools because I didn't write Why X's.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby PrezRand » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:40 am

chargers21 wrote:.

How are u Cornelius

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby chargers21 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 am

PrezRand wrote:
chargers21 wrote:.

How are u Cornelius

Doing good, awaiting your application so that you can join me in the mountains

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 am

chargers21 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
chargers21 wrote:.

How are u Cornelius

Doing good, awaiting your application so that you can join me in the mountains


whyd you have to abandon duke? i think they are my number 1 now :(

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:37 am

My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby principalagent » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:14 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh


They probably realize with your numbers that you aren’t going lol

Cmoney $$
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Facelessgod wrote:
andysimbi wrote:
twiix wrote:Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Ideally I'd say leather messenger bag if I was in a suit, but idk if I could fit my travel necessities in one. Either way, what are people's opinions on this? This is a huge advantage for women since they have magical purses that can seemingly store an infinite amount of stuff and still look professional


I've been to the LSAC forum and I honestly don't think it's a big deal to have a backpack. They're not going to look at you negatively for it--when I went, there were others there with backpacks, suitcases, and some people brought their parents (though I'm not sure I'd recommend that, per se, lol).

Unless your backpack is something really wild or inappropriate, I really don't think it'll be held against you (or even remembered, honestly).


Thanks for the insight! I was considering flying out to the forum early in the morning and flying back home at night afterwards so I wouldn't be booking a hotel. Would it be weird to walk around with like a resume portfolio to take notes? I'm planning on incorporating some of the conversations I have at the forum into my Why X statements.

Also, how was the dress code? I was just planning on wearing a suit but am kind of interested in how most of the other people are dressed.

I wore a button up patterned shirt with a tie, left the jacket at home (mainly because it was hot as balls and I was taking the metro).


Similar topic, would wearing an Army dress uniform to a law school forum be too weird? I'm on active duty and my contract ends in August to start LS. I'm not a wealthy guy and would like to avoid buying clothes at my current size because every vet I've known gains a good 20 pounds after getting out... I know I do not plan to get up at 5 every morning and work out once I leave active duty, lol.

User avatar
OakBrook2021
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh


It's a state school so maybe they just don't give out alot of aid. I've heard the best state school near me (UF) can be like that since it's already pretty cheap for residents

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am

Cmoney $$ wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Facelessgod wrote:
andysimbi wrote:
twiix wrote:Has anyone gone to any of the LSAC forums/other events? If so, what is TCR on backpacks ? I'd be flying in for this event and extending my hotel for late checkout will cost me 100$+, so unless I keep my backpack on me I'm shit out of luck (unless someone has another option).

Ideally I'd say leather messenger bag if I was in a suit, but idk if I could fit my travel necessities in one. Either way, what are people's opinions on this? This is a huge advantage for women since they have magical purses that can seemingly store an infinite amount of stuff and still look professional


I've been to the LSAC forum and I honestly don't think it's a big deal to have a backpack. They're not going to look at you negatively for it--when I went, there were others there with backpacks, suitcases, and some people brought their parents (though I'm not sure I'd recommend that, per se, lol).

Unless your backpack is something really wild or inappropriate, I really don't think it'll be held against you (or even remembered, honestly).


Thanks for the insight! I was considering flying out to the forum early in the morning and flying back home at night afterwards so I wouldn't be booking a hotel. Would it be weird to walk around with like a resume portfolio to take notes? I'm planning on incorporating some of the conversations I have at the forum into my Why X statements.

Also, how was the dress code? I was just planning on wearing a suit but am kind of interested in how most of the other people are dressed.

I wore a button up patterned shirt with a tie, left the jacket at home (mainly because it was hot as balls and I was taking the metro).


Similar topic, would wearing an Army dress uniform to a law school forum be too weird? I'm on active duty and my contract ends in August to start LS. I'm not a wealthy guy and would like to avoid buying clothes at my current size because every vet I've known gains a good 20 pounds after getting out... I know I do not plan to get up at 5 every morning and work out once I leave active duty, lol.


Don't have any specific info pertaining to your question, but I would assume that it is okay. Someone else can chime in, but I think it would be an easy way to tie your military experience into your application (which schools see as a plus), and also an easy way to get someone to remember you when you send them a follow up email after the forum.

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby DaydreamNation » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh

Not that hard to understand dude. Compare the two schools' parent endowments and then look at the two schools' undiscounted tuition costs and it should be pretty self-explanatory. Plus you yourself said it was your super safety, do you think they don't know that too?

HowardHamlin
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 am

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby HowardHamlin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh

I don't know man, that seems pretty cheap on their part. You should send them an email that informs them that you are over both 75ths, and that you don't get out of bed in the morning for anything less than a full. Make them earn your attendance.

Tha_Trademark
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby Tha_Trademark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

.
Last edited by Tha_Trademark on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Postby chargers21 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:26 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My super safety state school gave me a 75% scholly despite WUSTL giving me the full+stipend. I’m a bit confused tbh

If it's Vandy, well, they do that. If UF, I haven't looked it up but they might not do fulls




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests