TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Platopus

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Platopus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Platopus wrote:
Definitely Penn, and probably Texas and any other schools you have an actual interest in. No need for Chicago or NYU. I also don't think it's necessary for Northwestern, since you can always sign up for an optional interview, which shows a good level of interest.
Seconding Penn here but I would say definitely Texas if you are out of state and also UCLA for sure if you're interested.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Anyone else getting somewhat nervous based on TLS lol?

I have been accepted to NYU, WashU, Vandy, and Duke already, which is wonderful, but I've also applied to a bunch more law schools, and it's making me anxious to realize that people are getting invites for interviews (to say, Cornell and Columbia) that I have not received or getting into schools that I have yet to hear back from despite having applied prior to them (e.g., Michigan & UVA)... I got JS1, which I'm really elated about, and I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but I'm just nervous that I won't be considered for scholarships or I might get YP'ed, etc....

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:Anyone else getting somewhat nervous based on TLS lol?

I have been accepted to NYU, WashU, Vandy, and Duke already, which is wonderful, but I've also applied to a bunch more law schools, and it's making me anxious to realize that people are getting invites for interviews (to say, Cornell and Columbia) that I have not received or getting into schools that I have yet to hear back from despite having applied prior to them (e.g., Michigan & UVA)... I got JS1, which I'm really elated about, and I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but I'm just nervous that I won't be considered for scholarships or I might get YP'ed, etc....
At this point in the cycle you're the "TLS" that others are nervous about :lol: relax

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 pm

You've been accepted to more schools and better schools than pretty much anyone else so far. Most of us are just grateful to have gotten in to a safety school at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:40 pm

rowdy wrote:

You've been accepted to more schools and better schools than pretty much anyone else so far. Most of us are just grateful to have gotten in to a safety school at this point.
Point taken: sorry, didn't mean to come off in an annoying way or anything. I'm pretty much navigating this solo and don't personally know anyone else from my college who has been pre-law to ask about timeline, etc., so when I see things on TLS re: schools I've applied to and learned after applying, for example, that they want a "Why XYZ?" essay, I do worry about having done something wrong.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Do you reply to acceptance emails?

What do you say?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:Do you reply to acceptance emails?

What do you say?
no, fucking boomer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm

amta wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:Do you reply to acceptance emails?

What do you say?
no, fucking boomer.
that's how i replied too!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Where did you buy a decent, cheap suit for interviews?

I have an interview on Sunday and would like to dress nice. Thank you!
Last edited by urmlaw17 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:Where did you buy a decent, cheap suit for interviews?

I have an interview on Sunday and would like to dress nice. Thank you?
What's your budget for "cheap"? I'm sure all my suits would be considered "cheap" by the majority of attorneys at my firm, but my aspiring attorney budget would disagree :D

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Piggy11 wrote:

What's your budget for "cheap"? I'm sure all my suits would be considered "cheap" by the majority of attorneys at my firm, but my aspiring attorney budget would disagree :D
Less than $100 ideally?

Or less than $200?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Anyone else really hoping for some contact from schools before the end of the day? Because if it doesn't come today, we're probably not hearing until next week.

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
Piggy11 wrote:

Less than $100 ideally?

Or less than $200?
Depending on sales, you might be able to find something for $200-$250 at Men's Wearhouse or Jos. A. Banks. You could shoot for black friday sales, but unless you fit perfectly into something off the rack it might not be ready for Sunday.

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:00 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
Piggy11 wrote:

Less than $100 ideally?

Or less than $200?
I don't know about a full suit, but you can probably find just the coat/jacket for around $100 and throw regular slacks with it. It's not ideal, but it works. I have a black coat that looks fine (I think) and I got it for about 100 from Dillards. I think Kohls would have something cheap too.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 pm

TedBuckland wrote:Anyone else really hoping for some contact from schools before the end of the day? Because if it doesn't come today, we're probably not hearing until next week.
Yeah, I've been checking email pretty regularly today.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
Piggy11 wrote:

Less than $100 ideally?

Or less than $200?
Seems like Macy's has a deal on some suits for $99 (discounted from $375).
Lord and Taylor has deals on suits for $179 - pretty nice looking ones, I'd say.
Banana Republic has a 50% off sale going on - a full wool suit would still run ~$280, but a wool suit would have more lasting power than something made of a cheaper material.
Express also has a 50% sale going on and looks like pants and matching jacket could be had for ~200 depending on material.

Black Friday might be a good time to shop, but I don't know how many of the sizes are going to be in stock.

Good luck with your shopping and interview!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 pm

I am displeased with Lewis & Clark for sending a gigantic envelope with the word "Northwestern" prominently displayed.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

wmbuff wrote:I am displeased with Lewis & Clark for sending a gigantic envelope with the word "Northwestern" prominently displayed.
In their defense, they have been named that since 1915 - just a couple decades after NU.

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am

Anyone want to speculate on which schools might start releasing decisions this week?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FN-2187

Bronze

Post by FN-2187 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:05 am

urmlaw17 wrote:
Piggy11 wrote:

Less than $100 ideally?

Or less than $200?
K&G Fashion Superstores often have buy two suits for $200 deals.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 am

andysimbi wrote:Anyone want to speculate on which schools might start releasing decisions this week?
My guess (hope?) is that we'll have a new round of interviews for Columbia and/or Chicago, and possibly new admits for Cornell or UVA. I'm still thinking the first JS2s will be in 2-3 weeks, with Penn and Stanford potentially having their first round of admits the week before Christmas. Anyone else consulting their crystal balls?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

The key with any suit is to make sure you get it tailored. Buying a suit off the rack can work if you absolutely need it but it's going to have limited utility without proper tailoring. IANAL so I can't speak from the profession but I can tell you that in my profession the way your clothes fit is often considered indicative of your general awareness and attention to detail. Yes, the composition of the material matters to a certain extent, but a 200 buck suit tailored to you is going to look way better, even if it's not of great quality, than a $1,200 suit off a rack.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am

MrAdultman wrote:
andysimbi wrote:Anyone want to speculate on which schools might start releasing decisions this week?
My guess (hope?) is that we'll have a new round of interviews for Columbia and/or Chicago, and possibly new admits for Cornell or UVA. I'm still thinking the first JS2s will be in 2-3 weeks, with Penn and Stanford potentially having their first round of admits the week before Christmas. Anyone else consulting their crystal balls?
I agree with these predictions and also expect decisions from Northwestern, Texas, and Berk within the next 2-3 weeks, though probably not this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”