TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dyebri

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by dyebri » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Probably going to finish my PS next week, I've got an outline I'm happy with for now. Spent most of my time at work today researching my top choices so I have something of substance to talk about at the forum Saturday. Really liking the looks of UVA's SCOTUS and Appellate 3L clinics.
Slippin himmy! I missed you

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Probably going to finish my PS next week, I've got an outline I'm happy with for now. Spent most of my time at work today researching my top choices so I have something of substance to talk about at the forum Saturday. Really liking the looks of UVA's SCOTUS and Appellate 3L clinics.
sat in on the SCOTUS clinic session at ASW in March. It was very cool

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 pm

heyduchess wrote:Anybody get any interesting mail lately? When do most schools start sending mail/fee waivers?
I got something from WUSTL encouraging me to apply for a fee waiver. I'm also curious how long after a new LSAT score we can expect to get waivers and such so I can submit my apps in early enough without going for broke!

Also anyone here more than genuinely anxious about this cycle if Spivey predictions hold true? I know there's been an increase in applicants for the last few years, but the new LSAT policy is a game changer :/ Why couldn't they give it a year for it to start happening D:

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Well LSAC is doing another digital pilot LSAT except this time they give you a free real LSAT as payment. Its really tempting to do the digital test and then take in December. I'd apply to most schools right away but would hold off on CCNHYS until I get a potentially higher LSAT. My only concern is you can't cancel or withdraw to get a refund, so if I'm not doing too well leading up to it I can't back out.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Well LSAC is doing another digital pilot LSAT except this time they give you a free real LSAT as payment. Its really tempting to do the digital test and then take in December. I'd apply to most schools right away but would hold off on CCNHYS until I get a potentially higher LSAT. My only concern is you can't cancel or withdraw to get a refund, so if I'm not doing too well leading up to it I can't back out.
Are you planning on retaking anyways, or no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Well LSAC is doing another digital pilot LSAT except this time they give you a free real LSAT as payment. Its really tempting to do the digital test and then take in December. I'd apply to most schools right away but would hold off on CCNHYS until I get a potentially higher LSAT. My only concern is you can't cancel or withdraw to get a refund, so if I'm not doing too well leading up to it I can't back out.
If it was another gift card I'd be ALL over it.
Lmao same. I could think of worse ways to spend a morning.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Platopus wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Platopus wrote:
If it was another gift card I'd be ALL over it.
Lmao same. I could think of worse ways to spend a morning.
Especially having taken the 1st digital pilot, I'm actually pretty curious as to what they have changed in the interim.
The second pilot looks like it has undisclosed questions which is cool. The first one was PT 7x, which was boring as hell because I took it the week prior.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 pm

rowdy wrote:
Wasn't planning on it, it would really only be useful in potentially getting me into HYS with my GPA and goals. Now that I think about it I probably won't do it.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Wasn't planning on it, it would really only be useful in potentially getting me into HYS with my GPA and goals. Now that I think about it I probably won't do it.
Yeah, I'd only do it if you needed to anyways. Otherwise you're sacrificing your application timeline.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 am

Were you guys contacted privately about taking the pilot, or is there a way to sign up for it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:30 am

MercW07 wrote:Were you guys contacted privately about taking the pilot, or is there a way to sign up for it?
Its on the LSAC homepage.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 am

Platopus wrote:Any one hate their PS more and more each day? I thought it was good at first, now I'm not sure I have the right topic.
I'm also hating my draft more and more each day. I like my topic but hate my writing style.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am

tuna_wasabi wrote:
Platopus wrote:Any one hate their PS more and more each day? I thought it was good at first, now I'm not sure I have the right topic.
I'm also hating my draft more and more each day. I like my topic but hate my writing style.
I like my writing style fine but can't seem to find a topic that "sticks" for more than a draft.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

rowdy wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:
I like my writing style fine but can't seem to find a topic that "sticks" for more than a draft.
Just a note of encouragement - I wrote a potential topic PS last year on here and it got absolutely shredded by other posters. Scrapped the idea and came up with a much better one after that (had great success last cycle). I found it very worthwhile to just throw some ideas out and let others pick them apart.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
rowdy wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:
Just a note of encouragement - I wrote a potential topic PS last year on here and it got absolutely shredded by other posters. Scrapped the idea and came up with a much better one after that (had great success last cycle). I found it very worthwhile to just throw some ideas out and let others pick them apart.
Would you mind briefly sharing with us how you went through the process? Like picking a topic, scrapping the idea, and coming up with a much better one?

Off-topic, I'm increasingly nervous about the idea of going to law school in general.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:10 am

tuna_wasabi wrote:
Would you mind briefly sharing with us how you went through the process? Like picking a topic, scrapping the idea, and coming up with a much better one?

Off-topic, I'm increasingly nervous about the idea of going to law school in general.
Sure thing: When I was writing my PS last year, I was fairly emotionally unstable due to some awful life events that had just transpired. For me, I couldn't get that stuff out of my head, and naturally gravitated towards that in my writing (part of the grief process was writing it all out I guess). A couple of TLSers read it and were like 'yeah, that stuff sucks, but this is a shitty PS because it 1) is mostly a sob story and 2) doesn't give adcomms any good indication of who you are'.

So, I was able to get it all off my chest, and then moved on to a story from my life that showed a big part of my personal development through college. Once I got settled on that topic, it was just a lot of tweaking, editing, and refining (it helps I have two teachers in my immediate family, one with a master's in professional writing, for help in proofing).

Does that make sense?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

Platopus- If you need a reader, I'm an empathetic grammar nerd who will gladly take a gander. (Without being a jerk. Hence the empathy.)

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
MercW07 wrote:Were you guys contacted privately about taking the pilot, or is there a way to sign up for it?
aaand california isn't on there. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:

Sure thing: When I was writing my PS last year, I was fairly emotionally unstable due to some awful life events that had just transpired. For me, I couldn't get that stuff out of my head, and naturally gravitated towards that in my writing (part of the grief process was writing it all out I guess). A couple of TLSers read it and were like 'yeah, that stuff sucks, but this is a shitty PS because it 1) is mostly a sob story and 2) doesn't give adcomms any good indication of who you are'.

So, I was able to get it all off my chest, and then moved on to a story from my life that showed a big part of my personal development through college. Once I got settled on that topic, it was just a lot of tweaking, editing, and refining (it helps I have two teachers in my immediate family, one with a master's in professional writing, for help in proofing).

Does that make sense?
Yes, that helps a lot Ex-Engineer! In light of your post, I think my current topic is good enough--it's just that finding a writing style that suits me and my story is harder than I thought.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Ask and ye shall receive!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/untitled-5/
Calendar of T50 application dates.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

dumb question perhaps, but do schools publish their medians based on LSDAS gpa or actual UG school gpa?

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
aaand california isn't on there. :(
Yep the only test center in my state is 3 hours away. Unfortunately not worth it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”