TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 pm

InterLaw wrote:About the personal statement: absolutely within 2 pages in length? I'm like at 2 pages and a paragraph, do I need to cut it? :cry:
I did mine to the "Harvard Standard", which is 2 pages, 12 pt Times New Roman, doubled spaced and with 1 inch margins all around. Most schools either follow those standards or a more relaxed version of it, except for the special snowflakes at Berkeley. It might be a good idea to make a longer version if you are applying there while keeping most other apps to 2 pages or less.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:Has anyone received a PT invite from Duke or successfully solicited one? It seemed like people had already been invited by this time last year...
I've been following TLS and /r/lawschooladmissions very closely and I haven't seen anyone post about it, and if I remember correctly invites started going out about a week or so before apps opened. I'd expect them to go out early next week at the earliest and I would definitely not solicit an invite until a couple days after reports start to hit TLS.

On a related note, someone should make a Duke applicants thread. PT talk should be ramping up over the next few days.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Likelihood of being rejected after soliciting a fee waiver if you are below both medians??
+1

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 am

guynourmin wrote:
InterLaw wrote:About the personal statement: absolutely within 2 pages in length? I'm like at 2 pages and a paragraph, do I need to cut it? :cry:
If a school has a limit and you want to submit something that goes over the limit because its just too perfect and you can't edit it down at all then, imo, you should also send it off to the new yorker to get it published. Oh, you don't think they would publish it? That means it can be edited down. Two cycles ago I didn't apply to very many schools and only one had a 2 page limit. I was pretty happy with my 2.5 page statement so I just submitted the same to them. In my interview they brought up my going over the limit in a way that suggested it was a definite mark against me.
chargers21 wrote:
heyduchess wrote: Some schools, like UCLA, are much stricter than others. And some schools, like Berkeley, encourage you to hit "ideally 4."
You might have to tweak based on the school and its specifications.
Edit: just wanted to add, if a school says 2 pages max, do NOT go past the last line of the second page. They do not like people that they perceive either can't read or can't follow instructions
I wasn't very clear in the first place, my fault... Of course, if a school has a limit I would never and ever go 1 word beyond that limit!
I was asking if, in cases like Stanford which says "around two pages", it is better to stay under 2 pages or if you can actually be "around" in excess.
Of course, I know that "around" means "from a bit less to a bit more", but I was wondering if there is some common rule to follow (as for example the 1-page CV rule in a business context).
:roll:

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
I did mine to the "Harvard Standard", which is 2 pages, 12 pt Times New Roman, doubled spaced and with 1 inch margins all around. Most schools either follow those standards or a more relaxed version of it, except for the special snowflakes at Berkeley. It might be a good idea to make a longer version if you are applying there while keeping most other apps to 2 pages or less.
Jimmy for what I can read on their website they say 11 pt. Would you still say 12 is better?

"Please limit your statement to two pages using a minimum of 11-point font, 1-inch margins, and double spacing."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BronxToBoston

New

Post by BronxToBoston » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 am

Last edited by BronxToBoston on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Jimmy for what I can read on their website they say 11 pt. Would you still say 12 is better?

"Please limit your statement to two pages using a minimum of 11-point font, 1-inch margins, and double spacing."
Whoops. I guess 12 still follows their guidelines, and my PS completely fills up the second page so I think I'm going to keep it as is. I wouldn't be able to fit much more info in and I'm happy with it.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:52 am

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm

rachelac wrote:Checking in and a question!

REDACTED
Top choice UChicago with money, also applying to Harvard, Stanford, NYU, NU, Michigan, Duke, Berkeley, Texas, Cornell, and UCLA.

I haven't gotten many unsolicited fee waivers (just UCLA) and was wondering if it could be due to the fact that I took the LSAT in 2016 but decided to wait to apply? I'm not SUPER concerned because I get a lot of fee waivers through TFA but a little worried it'll stop me from getting a Priority Track invite. Any experience with that from anyone else here?

Thanks in advance, good luck to all!
I would recommend applying to every school in the top 13 with your stats. It's nice to see how things shake out, some schools will lowball, some will give you amazing offers, and some will be great negotiating pieces. You are also in the range where a WHY X essay will be useful for places like UVA and Penn. With your GPA, I'm sorry to say, Chicago will likely not be your best option financially. You're looking at getting in with about 60k there, as they generally give lower scholarships outside of the Ruby. Mich, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell will likely be your best bets for big money, and actually Harvard could be a very good option for you. You have a shot at Yale as well. Congrats on the great numbers and likely great outcomes!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Thoughts on how vital a why Michigan is? I've written one for UVA, Duke, and Texas but I'm having trouble writing one for Michigan since its not exactly one of my top choices.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Thoughts on how vital a why Michigan is?
Conventional TLS wisdom has held that a why michigan is always worth it. I'm certainly going to write one to avoid YP and hopefully get some Michigan $$$

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Am I wasting my time & money applying to Berk? I want to practice in Miami, NY, or DC; also, they are notoriously stingy so it's not like I can use their scholly (if any) as leverage. I know people say to blanket the T13, but I don't think it makes sense in my case. Any thoughts?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Am I wasting my time & money applying to Berk? I want to practice in Miami, NY, or DC; also, they are notoriously stingy so it's not like I can use their scholly (if any) as leverage. I know people say to blanket the T13, but I don't think it makes sense in my case. Any thoughts?
I'm skipping Berkley, Penn and Chicago for similar reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Stanford opens tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what these new optional essays are.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 pm

#gobroncos wrote:Stanford opens tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what these new optional essays are.
If you think these optional short essays could help us get a better sense of who you are, we encourage you to consider submitting your responses to no more than two of the following questions. Note that there is a 100 to 250-word limit for each question.

What literary character do you most associate yourself with?

You're given the opportunity to teach a one-day class to your fellow students at Stanford Law School. Based on your particular skills and talents, what would you teach?

The library in the town where you grew up has been destroyed. Choose three books to contribute to rebuilding the library's collection.

Music has a way of setting tone and mood for any occasion. With this in mind, pick three songs or musical works to be playing in the background as the Admissions Committee reviews your materials.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 am

principalagent wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:Stanford opens tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what these new optional essays are.
If you think these optional short essays could help us get a better sense of who you are, we encourage you to consider submitting your responses to no more than two of the following questions. Note that there is a 100 to 250-word limit for each question.

You're given the opportunity to teach a one-day class to your fellow students at Stanford Law School. Based on your particular skills and talents, what would you teach?

The library in the town where you grew up has been destroyed. Choose three books to contribute to rebuilding the library's collection.

Music has a way of setting tone and mood for any occasion. With this in mind, pick three songs or musical works to be playing in the background as the Admissions Committee reviews your materials.
Pick the last one and say:

"Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie
Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie
Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie"

If I am to be rejected, which will be the case, I want to be so with Suits theme playing in the background. Who said that you need Law School to be a lawyer? @MikeRoss81

But seriously, would you pick up just one or two of those questions? No difference until you say something worth saying?

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 am

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:27 am

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

principalagent wrote:

Stanford is getting closer and closer to Yale! :shock: I couldn't find the topics on their website. Mind sharing the link?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 am

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

rachelac wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
rachelac wrote:Checking in and a question!

REDACTED
Top choice UChicago with money, also applying to Harvard, Stanford, NYU, NU, Michigan, Duke, Berkeley, Texas, Cornell, and UCLA.

I haven't gotten many unsolicited fee waivers (just UCLA) and was wondering if it could be due to the fact that I took the LSAT in 2016 but decided to wait to apply? I'm not SUPER concerned because I get a lot of fee waivers through TFA but a little worried it'll stop me from getting a Priority Track invite. Any experience with that from anyone else here?

Thanks in advance, good luck to all!
I would recommend applying to every school in the top 13 with your stats. It's nice to see how things shake out, some schools will lowball, some will give you amazing offers, and some will be great negotiating pieces. You are also in the range where a WHY X essay will be useful for places like UVA and Penn. With your GPA, I'm sorry to say, Chicago will likely not be your best option financially. You're looking at getting in with about 60k there, as they generally give lower scholarships outside of the Ruby. Mich, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell will likely be your best bets for big money, and actually Harvard could be a very good option for you. You have a shot at Yale as well. Congrats on the great numbers and likely great outcomes!
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get back to the Midwest (been living in RI for three years and I miss home) which is why I'm not applying to Columbia or Penn- for Harvard or Stanford I'd obviously make an exception but short of that I'd probably go to Michigan or NU over a slightly higher ranked school.
Midwest >>>

Good luck on the apps, Northwestern is a great school and should be super affordable for you if that is of any major concern

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Platopus wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Am I wasting my time & money applying to Berk? I want to practice in Miami, NY, or DC; also, they are notoriously stingy so it's not like I can use their scholly (if any) as leverage. I know people say to blanket the T13, but I don't think it makes sense in my case. Any thoughts?
I know I would not attend Berk or Cornell under pretty much any circumstance, so I won't be applying. If you know you won't go, no point in applying.
:cry:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Bruh, I've seen your numbers. Don't limit yourself by not applying :D I think you're right in Penn's wheelhouse, right? And Berk is unpredictable, they could give you 0 or a full

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:54 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
I know I would not attend Berk or Cornell under pretty much any circumstance, so I won't be applying. If you know you won't go, no point in applying.
:cry:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Bruh, I've seen your numbers. Don't limit yourself by not applying :D I think you're right in Penn's wheelhouse, right? And Berk is unpredictable, they could give you 0 or a full
I thought about floating an app to Penn if I can get a waiver, but it seems to me like my GPA is a bit low for them. And while Berkley might give me some $$$ I can't envision any situation where I would attend.

In other news, this is my current waiver status, hopefully it will help someone:

Solicited at LSAC Forum: UVA, Vandy, UCLA, Emory, W&M, W&L, George Mason, FSU, Miami, North Dakota (they were giving away flash drives!!)
Unsolicited email: WUSTL, Missouri, lots of TTs and TTTs
Solicited email, fill out a form after apps open: Northwestern, Notre Dame
Solicited email, will review request after apps open: GULC
Solicited email, we only give out merit via CRS: NYU, Cornell, Texas
Solicited email, awaiting response: Penn, Michigan, UF
Not yet solicited: Columbia (do they even do merit waivers?), Duke (hoping for PT first).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”