TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texasreznikoff

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by texasreznikoff » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:I have time to visit some law schools this month.

Do you think it's worth even visiting for a better chance of admission?
some yes (like georgetown, where you have to register for a visit and sign in when you arrive), some no (like NYU, which has no record of my ever being present for a visit). but at the very least you can use info you get during your visit for a why x essay.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Is there a resource with really strong advice on how to write the "Why X" essays? I am struggling to get started and I have read that they are crucial for some schools, such as Penn, Michigan, and Duke.
It might be a good idea to peruse the school site - whether its the clinics or student groups or the city etc. Then do some googling and see if other stuff pops up. Google some faculty you'd like to work with! The Why X should be organic when you write it.
Do you literally title them “Why X Law?”?

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 pm

CottonHarvest wrote: Do you literally title them “Why X Law?”?
I titled mine “Interest in X Law” because that’s what 7sage said If I remember correctly.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm

I didn't title anything I wrote, oops. Just put "personal statement" or "additional essay" in the header.

It didn't seem to matter much for my apps

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

Question for LSN users, just to make sure I'm inputting stuff right:

Sent: the date we submit our apps on LSAC
Received: the date that the school requests a report from LSAC - hence "received request"
Complete: the date that our app is marked "complete" on LSAC
Decision: 'nuff said

Is that about right? The only one I'm unsure about is "received" since how else are you supposed to know if a school received it right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gmg

New

Post by gmg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Are law schools moving slower with their decisions this cycle? I spent some time looking through LSN and it looks like there were significantly more decisions around this time last year

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 pm

gmg wrote:Are law schools moving slower with their decisions this cycle? I spent some time looking through LSN and it looks like there were significantly more decisions around this time last year
The lack of information on LSN is in part due to folks not making their cycles public during those cycles. There are some advantages to operating that way, though not all of us do it.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 am

Complete radio silence from t13 save duke PT making me nervous, especially when so many others are getting acceptances.

Also screw you hofstra and UA-Little Rock for making my heart jump with email notifications every ten goddamn minutes

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 am

dm1683 wrote:Complete radio silence from t13...making me nervous, especially when so many others are getting acceptances.

Also screw you hofstra and UA-Little Rock for making my heart jump with email notifications every ten goddamn minutes
+180

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 am

dm1683 wrote: Also screw you hofstra and UA-Little Rock for making my heart jump with email notifications every ten goddamn minutes
This.

texasreznikoff

New

Post by texasreznikoff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 am

usaorbust wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Complete radio silence from t13...making me nervous, especially when so many others are getting acceptances.

+180
yeeeeep

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am

the elitism of the pole is palpable.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:59 am

texasreznikoff wrote:
usaorbust wrote:

+180
yeeeeep
This. Grrrrrr.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am

coskigirl wrote:
texasreznikoff wrote:
usaorbust wrote:

+180
yeeeeep
This. Grrrrrr.
You can unsubscribe from each school just like with normal email lists.

jibrahim23

New

Post by jibrahim23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Have not had a status update since 10/31, slowly losing my shit.

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Spent my morning unsubscribing from every TTToilet email list. My poor lil heart can't take the notifications anymore.

Menchie

New

Post by Menchie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I've been consistent in unsubscribing from the emails, but... does anyone know how to stop the junk mail? I'm going to scream if I get another fat "admissions" packet from Regent or Widener.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Question for LSN users, just to make sure I'm inputting stuff right:

Received: the date that the school requests a report from LSAC - hence "received request"

Is that about right? The only one I'm unsure about is "received" since how else are you supposed to know if a school received it right?
Received is the date they send you an e-mail with a link to the status checker. Roughly coincides with LSAC's "complete".
Complete is when the school marks you as complete, which can be days, even weeks after LSAC does.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Piggy11 wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:Question for LSN users, just to make sure I'm inputting stuff right:

Received is the date they send you an e-mail with a link to the status checker. Roughly coincides with LSAC's "complete".
Complete is when the school marks you as complete, which can be days, even weeks after LSAC does.
Fun Challenge: The status checker says it can take up to 6 weeks from when it goes "in review" to receive response. The calendar on the school's main application pages says acceptances are sent beginning in December. Tomorrow marks six weeks since my application went into "in review." (Application sent 7.5 weeks ago) Which is telling the truth? Was my swift application all for naught or shall I actually get a response any moment now?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Menchie wrote:I've been consistent in unsubscribing from the emails, but... does anyone know how to stop the junk mail? I'm going to scream if I get another fat "admissions" packet from Regent or Widener.
Disclaimer: This is all on an iPhone
If you use gmail, use the gmail app.
One, spam/junk goes into a "Promotions" folder, which doesn't give off notifications. And if you have repeat offending schools, you can set that address to always go to "Promotions" folder.
Two, you can adjust which of your accounts get notifications. I have a correspondence address and a personal address, and all my law school stuff comes on my correspondence address. I have notifications turned off for my personal address, so for the most part, the only emails I get notifications about are emails that actually require my attention or law school updates.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm

seriously, screw hofstra. I unsubscribed from their email list yesterday and they just sent me another email urging me to "take another day to submit my application" because the deadline passed.

Menchie

New

Post by Menchie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 pm

PostNihilist wrote:
Menchie wrote:I've been consistent in unsubscribing from the emails, but... does anyone know how to stop the junk mail? I'm going to scream if I get another fat "admissions" packet from Regent or Widener.
Disclaimer: This is all on an iPhone
If you use gmail, use the gmail app.
One, spam/junk goes into a "Promotions" folder, which doesn't give off notifications. And if you have repeat offending schools, you can set that address to always go to "Promotions" folder.
Two, you can adjust which of your accounts get notifications. I have a correspondence address and a personal address, and all my law school stuff comes on my correspondence address. I have notifications turned off for my personal address, so for the most part, the only emails I get notifications about are emails that actually require my attention or law school updates.
Oops I should have been more specific. I meant physical mail that is posted to my home address. But thanks for the hot tips! :D

playmaker093

New

Post by playmaker093 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm

So I completely dropped the ball when it comes to "why X" essays. I figured if they asked for them I would write one but didn't get the sense most schools I applied to would need them. I wrote a why Duke, Michigan, and Cornell. Out of the rest of these schools where should I submit one if it's possible. I've gotten into Vandy thus far

Penn
NYU
Texas
NW
Uchi
Emory
Georgetown
WUSTL
USC
UCLA

I'm a 168 3.94 so not worried about YP, just getting in lol.

jd21

New

Post by jd21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 am

CottonHarvest wrote:Is there a resource with really strong advice on how to write the "Why X" essays? I am struggling to get started and I have read that they are crucial for some schools, such as Penn, Michigan, and Duke.
I wouldn't stress too much about them. I'm in at Michigan without writing one but I had a pretty strong (in my opinion) personal statement and wrote an optional essay. On the other hand, I didn't write a "Why Duke" and got stuck on the priority reserve waitlist so what do I know

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”