Advisable or pretentious?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Deserving Porcupine

Advisable or pretentious?

Postby Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

I'm probably over thinking this but am curious to get some external feedback.

When sending in a LOCI, would it be advisable to reference a graduate degree in the signature line? Would this be an OK way to make yourself stand out or hopefully spark some recollection with the adcomm as to your particular application? Or would it risk coming across as pretentious? I'm just trying to decide whether the signature line should read "Deserving Porcupine" or whether "Deserving Porcupine, PhD" might sound better.

Thoughts?

eck456

Re: Advisable or pretentious?

Postby eck456 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 am

Deserving Porcupine wrote:I'm probably over thinking this but am curious to get some external feedback.

When sending in a LOCI, would it be advisable to reference a graduate degree in the signature line? Would this be an OK way to make yourself stand out or hopefully spark some recollection with the adcomm as to your particular application? Or would it risk coming across as pretentious? I'm just trying to decide whether the signature line should read "Deserving Porcupine" or whether "Deserving Porcupine, PhD" might sound better.

Thoughts?

I didn't do it, but mine's only a masters so less exciting? But since I'm dual degree candidate I did do:

School X Degree Candidate
School Y JD Applicant

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am

I suspect you're overestimating how much attention they'll pay to this.

Deserving Porcupine

Postby Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:09 am

Dcc617 wrote:I suspect you're overestimating how much attention they'll pay to this.

Like I said, I'm probably over thinking this, but obsessing over largely irrelevant details seems to be a thing applicants do, so just bear with me.

bretby

Postby bretby » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:I'm probably over thinking this but am curious to get some external feedback.

Thoughts?

I think it looks tacky. It would draw attention to you, but not in a good way, imo.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Yeah, don't do this. They're going to match up your LOCI with your application; they'll know you're the dude(ette) with the Ph.D.

Deserving Porcupine

Postby Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks, folks! Seems like the consensus is no, and that's the answer I was leaning towards in the first place.

Keilz

Postby Keilz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm

I think it would be more acceptable in a science/engineering/medical field

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Thoughts?

I doubt it would come across as pretentious (it could but unlikely) but I see zero value-add of having it as a signature block. So I personally wouldn't do it.

LHS17

Postby LHS17 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Thoughts?

I doubt it would come across as pretentious (it could but unlikely) but I see zero value-add of having it as a signature block. So I personally wouldn't do it.

Yeah, sounds countercyclical

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 pm

LHS17 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, sounds countercyclical

Whats a counter cycle? Answer please.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm

What masochist gets a PhD and JD

Deserving Porcupine

Postby Deserving Porcupine » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 am

Nebby wrote:What masochist gets a PhD and JD

*Raises hand*