NYU c/o 2020 -- WAIT LIST (New Poll!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Applicant Confirmed on Wait List
55%
UR 1
1%
UR 2
4%
DLS
1%
In off the WL!!
17%
Just here to point and laugh
23%

Total votes: 157

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Re: NYU c/o 2020 -- WAIT LIST (New Poll!)

Postby melmelcoolj » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:28 pm

34iplaw wrote:I suspect NYU typically wouldn't match an offer from Duke anyways? They'd consider it sure, but I can't imagine they'd match it? They might not have funds now, but some should open up depending if people drop I imagine.

I don't think NYU would match any offer outside Chicago & Columbia - for those are its official "peer" schools - and HYS does not have this merit scholarship deal at all. So if you have no offers from Chicago or Columbia, or an acceptance from HYS, I think we can safely conclude you are out of luck with serious money. They might throw some coins at you if they decide to pity you.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:33 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
34iplaw wrote:I suspect NYU typically wouldn't match an offer from Duke anyways? They'd consider it sure, but I can't imagine they'd match it? They might not have funds now, but some should open up depending if people drop I imagine.

I don't think NYU would match any offer outside Chicago & Columbia - for those are its official "peer" schools - and HYS does not have this merit scholarship deal at all. So if you have no offers from Chicago or Columbia, or an acceptance from HYS, I think we can safely conclude you are out of luck with serious money. They might throw some coins at you if they decide to pity you.

Yeah - I agree with that assessment. Maybe they'd consider money from Penn too, but that's still probably unlikely at this point in the game. Then again, NYU isn't worth that much more than PMVD

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:39 pm

34iplaw wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

Yeah - I agree with that assessment. Maybe they'd consider money from Penn too, but that's still probably unlikely at this point in the game. Then again, NYU isn't worth that much more than PMVD

Yeah, I agree. I feel so bad for making my parents pay sticker at NYU (arguably the most expensive school in the world, lol) plus a life in Greenwich Village. That sounds like what spoiled reality TV stars do, though I don't mind being one. HAHAHA, so in a way, maybe it's better if the option just doesn't arise, so I would not be tempted.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:43 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:.

Yeah - I feel ya. I'll have to see. I wonder if you can actually negotiate on the WLs if you burn some money on a few deposits.

Zipman

New

Postby Zipman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am

The feeler email explicitly states that no more merit scholarships will be awarded

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:55 am

Zipman wrote:

The feeler email explicitly states that no more merit scholarships will be awarded

I was speaking more generally. With the last point, it's just speculation, but I wouldn't be necessarily certain. If in at NYU off the WL and I got CLS or H, I'd absolutely email them (and recommend anyone with offers they'd negotiate with typically) to see if there's any money available, especially since people who have awards may still drop. That money goes somewhere.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Zipman wrote:

This.

I get that people are hopeful they'll be the exception, but NYU has been clear on the matter.

Zipman

New

Postby Zipman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Zipman wrote:

I was speaking more generally. With the last point, it's just speculation, but I wouldn't be necessarily certain. If in at NYU off the WL and I got CLS or H, I'd absolutely email them (and recommend anyone with offers they'd negotiate with typically) to see if there's any money available, especially since people who have awards may still drop. That money goes somewhere.

I feel like your leverage goes down significantly if you respond affirmatively to a feeler email that says they won't be giving you any money- you've basically told them you'd be willing to pay full price.

Additionally, scholarships aren't a 0 sum total. Ascots are aware that not everyone who gets offered a scholarship will take it, and build that into their calculations.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Any news?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Zipman wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Zipman wrote:

I feel like your leverage goes down significantly if you respond affirmatively to a feeler email that says they won't be giving you any money- you've basically told them you'd be willing to pay full price.

Additionally, scholarships aren't a 0 sum total. Ascots are aware that not everyone who gets offered a scholarship will take it, and build that into their calculations.

I mean in Zipman's case, he could have just have responded to the feeler by explicitly stating he won't go unless there is X amount of money. After all, he is not going to NYU - he might as well just be clear with them, and maybe they would throw some coins at him.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Can we get back to me now?
Been waiting on this dream since September, people. Let's go, NYU. Hand it over. You know you want to.

Ugh god I hate me.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 pm

jessmeesh wrote:This.

I get that people are hopeful they'll be the exception, but NYU has been clear on the matter.

It doesn't have to deal with thinking you will be the exception. It's understanding that the school is incentivezed to offer you as little as possible while still getting you to commit and interpreting their communications with that in mind. I'm not saying anyone should expect money but one shouldn't write off receiving money just because NYU (or any accom) sent some email out. That's really all I was trying to get at.

melmelcoolj wrote:
Zipman wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Zipman wrote:

I mean in Zipman's case, he could have just have responded to the feeler by explicitly stating he won't go unless there is X amount of money. After all, he is not going to NYU - he might as well just be clear with them, and maybe they would throw some coins at him.

@zip; that's fair enough and I agree. I think you regain some leverage when admitted and could hurt their yield. That said, I feel like we are teetering on arguing past each other rather than something quasi productive. My point is I do not believe anyone should take a LS's communication at face value. If you have the comparable offers, I'd, personally, keep it close to your chest until in a stronger bargaining position - ie admitted - but I'm not an expert on the matter. I'm

@mel; would one not be better served by waiting until they are admitted to share that? In one case, they can't afford you so they won't offer. In the other, you will still marginally impact their yield numbers. To me, it seems like they are more incentivized to negotiate once you are extended an offer.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm

34iplaw wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:This.

It doesn't have to deal with thinking you will be the exception. It's understanding that the school is incentivezed to offer you as little as possible while still getting you to commit and interpreting their communications with that in mind. I'm not saying anyone should expect money but one shouldn't write off receiving money just because NYU (or any accom) sent some email out. That's really all I was trying to get at.

melmelcoolj wrote:
Zipman wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Zipman wrote:

@zip; that's fair enough and I agree. I think you regain some leverage when admitted and could hurt their yield. That said, I feel like we are teetering on arguing past each other rather than something quasi productive. My point is I do not believe anyone should take a LS's communication at face value. If you have the comparable offers, I'd, personally, keep it close to your chest until in a stronger bargaining position - ie admitted - but I'm not an expert on the matter. I'm

@mel; would one not be better served by waiting until they are admitted to share that? In one case, they can't afford you so they won't offer. In the other, you will still marginally impact their yield numbers. To me, it seems like they are more incentivized to negotiate once you are extended an offer.

I agree what you are saying - that is, if you really want NYU.

As with any negotiation, how much power you have partly relies on whether you are okay with simply walking away from the deal. If one's okay with walking away (like Zip did, for he decided to attend a different school), I don't think ultimately he has much to lose.

On the other the hand, now that Zip responded to NYU saying he would attend without money, they already know his bottom line. Of course, you can always go back on your offer, and say now you want money later in the process - but that would be harder. And NYU does not seem to be one of the crazy YP schools. In my case, I probably should just play it safe - since I am less willing to walk away from an NYU offer, even if it's at sticker.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 pm

@mel; I think playing it safe until the offer is extended is 100% the way to go. That said, you are 100% right in that your ultimate chip is walking away. That has way more value once admitted though. I'm more or less the same boat as you but I'm crushing a bit on one school a bit more. I'd be down to clown at NYU though.

All your and Zips points are fair. I was concerned we'd get into a place of arguing past each other.

Real talk tho: I'm fed up with LOCIs

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am

34iplaw wrote:Real talk tho: I'm fed up with LOCIs everything NYU

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am

34iplaw wrote:
Real talk tho: I'm fed up with LOCIs

I'm dragging my feet on my June LOCIs. I wish it were acceptable to say "Nothing's changed on my end, still waiting on you" and be done with it. lol

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 am

Am I the only one who thinks these LOCIs don't really help?
The only words they want to hear are "if accepted, I'll attend." So I guess if you include that it'll help somewhat.
That's why at this point, all I'm doing is sending short emails saying I'm still interested, and if offered admission, I'd definitely attend. That's really all that matters to them IMHO.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 am

StopLawying wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these LOCIs don't really help?
The only words they want to hear are "if accepted, I'll attend." So I guess if you include that it'll help somewhat.
That's why at this point, all I'm doing is sending short emails saying I'm still interested, and if offered admission, I'd definitely attend. That's really all that matters to them IMHO.

I won't disagree that anything beyond "I'll attend if accepted" likely doesn't do much. But given what's at stake I can't bring myself to half-ass it. I would absolutely hate myself if I couldn't manage to pump out a decent letter once a month that makes even the smallest difference.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:41 am

jessmeesh wrote:

I won't disagree that anything beyond "I'll attend if accepted" likely doesn't do much. But given what's at stake I can't bring myself to half-ass it. I would absolutely hate myself if I couldn't manage to pump out a decent letter once a month that makes even the smallest difference.

I don't think sending anything more detailed helps to a great deal, but I do think sending nothing probably hurts a great deal.

ktgjoon

New

Postby ktgjoon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am

I have a source at NYU law and who is very familiar with other law school app processes as well that basically openly said to me that they pretty much don't even read LOCIs, they just note the fact that one was sent in. They're pretty much pointless beyond the "if accepted i'll attend" mumbo jumbo.

That being said of course I have sent in multiple and treated each one like it was a life or death situation tbh....ugh

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am

ktgjoon wrote:

I have a source at NYU law and who is very familiar with other law school app processes as well that basically openly said to me that they pretty much don't even read LOCIs, they just note the fact that one was sent in. They're pretty much pointless beyond the "if accepted i'll attend" mumbo jumbo.

That being said of course I have sent in multiple and treated each one like it was a life or death situation tbh....ugh

I spent a ton of time on my first LOCI, even sending it out via snail mail, and while I don't regret it, I realized that it probably didn't help much. Since then, I've just been sending short emails notifying them of my continued interest. Really interesting what you said about them not even opening up the LOCIs, if true that's kind of crazy, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

I've been following a lot of the waitlist threads, and there were plenty of students who got accepted without even sending a LOCI. If a school likes your numbers/ URM status, etc. they'll just send you a feeler email asking if you're still interested. So the LOCI is kinda pointless anyway, maybe the only way I see if helping is by minimizing the waitlist, like Georgetown did.

Also, we're all neurotic here, so everyone just follows what everyone else is doing. I'm not gonna lie, I see a few ppl post that they've sent a LOCI, and then I'm like " I just sent one a few days ago, maybe I should send one again because Sylbill and 34ipLaw sent one lol. I must be behind, and if I don't send one today, I won't get accepted."

Also it doesn't help that you have all these consultants telling people that LOCIs are the difference between getting/not getting accepted. Ok, maybe they don't say that, but you get the point. They need to stay in business, right?

Anyway there's my rant. To any future applicant, I tell them to just focus on the two things that'll determine where you'll end up: LSAT and GPA. That's really it.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:06 pm

sent from 34iplaw:
Dear ___________ and the admissions committee,

Allow me to pour my soul into a few painstakingly well-crafted paragraphs as to why I would be an amazing contribution to your law school and am ready to commit to enroll.

Sincerely,
34iplaw

-------------------------------------------

response from LS:
Dear 34iplaw,

K.

--
_________ Law School
Random pertinent
address info
(###) ###-####

thehours

New

Postby thehours » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 pm

ok but seriously what is going on

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm

One of the users accepted from the last batch mentioned a decision deadline of June 13th so... should we expect silence until then?

mtf612

Bronze

Postby mtf612 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Sent a LoCi the week before waitlisted. Still Acwl 5/1. Should I send another LoCi/why x??

Above both medians fwiw.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?