Waitlist success stories? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Halfcooked

New

Re: Waitlist success stories?

Post by Halfcooked » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:16 am

This is nothing special by any means, but I was pulled off of the UC Davis Waitlist just yesterday. I responded to the email asking to indicate continuing interest. Within the email there was space for "comments" or updates, to which I was able to provide a recent award I won as the top grad of my major. This was about a week prior to the email I received yesterday. I am not sure if it is just random timing or not, but I submitted this most recent semester's grades to LSAC that showed a 4.19 GPA which UC Davis received the day before I got the acceptance email. I am not sure if that is just timing, or if there is a correlation there. Thought I would share my experience should it help someone in the future. Best of luck to all in their waitlist endeavors!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Halfcooked wrote:This is nothing special by any means, but I was pulled off of the UC Davis Waitlist just yesterday. I responded to the email asking to indicate continuing interest. Within the email there was space for "comments" or updates, to which I was able to provide a recent award I won as the top grad of my major. This was about a week prior to the email I received yesterday. I am not sure if it is just random timing or not, but I submitted this most recent semester's grades to LSAC that showed a 4.19 GPA which UC Davis received the day before I got the acceptance email. I am not sure if that is just timing, or if there is a correlation there. Thought I would share my experience should it help someone in the future. Best of luck to all in their waitlist endeavors!
why did you even apply to UC Davis if you have a 4.19 gpa?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm

amta wrote:
Halfcooked wrote:This is nothing special by any means, but I was pulled off of the UC Davis Waitlist just yesterday. I responded to the email asking to indicate continuing interest. Within the email there was space for "comments" or updates, to which I was able to provide a recent award I won as the top grad of my major. This was about a week prior to the email I received yesterday. I am not sure if it is just random timing or not, but I submitted this most recent semester's grades to LSAC that showed a 4.19 GPA which UC Davis received the day before I got the acceptance email. I am not sure if that is just timing, or if there is a correlation there. Thought I would share my experience should it help someone in the future. Best of luck to all in their waitlist endeavors!
Inb4 the retake advice

skurfy

New

Post by skurfy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:58 pm

amta wrote:
Guessing that was their semester GPA, not cumulative.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm

skurfy wrote: Guessing that was their semester GPA, not cumulative.
lawyers don't assume things. retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:11 pm

skurfy wrote:
amta wrote:
Guessing that was their semester GPA, not cumulative.

Post removed.
Last edited by Halfcooked on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Halfcooked wrote: Correct, the 4.19 GPA was for the semester. I had a shatty lsat.
whats your cumulative gpa?

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm

amta wrote:
Halfcooked wrote: post removed.
post removed
post removed.
Last edited by Halfcooked on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Halfcooked wrote: That is a long story. The short answer is 3.38. I am an adult re-entry student. I failed 8 classes (24 units) when I was eighteen. Fast forward thirteen years, I re-entered college essentially from scratch. Since 2013 I completed 142 units with an LSAC GPA of 4.02, and a LSAC GPA at a top public college of 4.15. But with the failed classes, it tanked by accumulative GPA, and law schools held the old grades against me.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:19 am

amta wrote:
Halfcooked wrote: That is a long story. The short answer is 3.38. I am an adult re-entry student. I failed 8 classes (24 units) when I was eighteen. Fast forward thirteen years, I re-entered college essentially from scratch. Since 2013 I completed 142 units with an LSAC GPA of 4.02, and a LSAC GPA at a top public college of 4.15. But with the failed classes, it tanked by accumulative GPA, and law schools held the old grades against me.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ya, I was surprised too... if anyone wants to know if schools are "holistic" I got an answer for them.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 am

A friend of mine got into our TT off a waitlist and got some Ds and killed himself. So idk be careful with TTs or waitlists or both idk

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:36 am

Caesar Salad wrote:A friend of mine got into our TT off a waitlist and got some Ds and killed himself. So idk be careful with TTs or waitlists or both idk
. (commented deleted, apologize for being inconsiderate)

For waitlist success stories, there is another quote from Dean Z from the waitlist offer:
I think of my best friend at Michigan Law School, who was admitted off the waitlist late in the season, and went on to be the editor-in-chief of the Michigan Law Review, clerk for the U.S. Supreme Court, win a unanimous Supreme Court decision in a complex civil rights case, eventually becoming a judge on a prestigious appellate court—and I feel humbled and realistic about the predictive abilities of any admissions officer.
Last edited by melmelcoolj on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:44 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Caesar Salad wrote:A friend of mine got into our TT off a waitlist and got some Ds and killed himself. So idk be careful with TTs or waitlists or both idk
Oh, ha, ha, that's a great waitlist success story!
Literally carried the casket, fuck you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:00 am

Caesar Salad wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Oh, ha, ha, that's a great waitlist success story!
Literally carried the casket, fuck you
Oh god, I apologize. I literally thought you made up a story to be sarcastic. Note the title of this thread is "waitlist success stories?"

However, I don't think your friend's tragedy has anything to do with waitlists or TTs - historically, some people at Harvard Law School have committed suicide (actually, a friend of mine did :((( ).

On the contrary, there are many ways to have a fulfilling life and career even with Ds from TT off the waitlist, as grave as that might sound -- or, even, without a law degree -- though admittedly that's hard to fathom on TLS.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, and I'll delete the prior comment. Did not mean to be an ass.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 am

Thank you, I am cheered up

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 am

Halfcooked wrote: Ya, I was surprised too... if anyone wants to know if schools are "holistic" I got an answer for them.
yeah. i can't believe a professional school that relies on undergraduate grades to evaluate your academic ability would hold undergraduate grades against you. i am shook.

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:17 pm

amta wrote:
Halfcooked wrote: Ya, I was surprised too... if anyone wants to know if schools are "holistic" I got an answer for them.
yeah. i can't believe a professional school that relies on undergraduate grades to evaluate your academic ability would hold undergraduate grades against you. i am shook.
Post removed
Last edited by Halfcooked on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

What's the S.O.P. on just calling adcomms and asking them whether you'd have a better chance of acceptance if you applied the following cycle / what parts of your application were weak or strong.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:06 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:What's the S.O.P. on just calling adcomms and asking them whether you'd have a better chance of acceptance if you applied the following cycle / what parts of your application were weak or strong.
Yeah, I tried that during informational interviews, and I don't think they would tell you that.

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm

[quote="latinxlawschool2020"]I would love to hear some more success stories ! Im waitlisted at one of my top schools that is notorious for waitlisting so many applicants- Columbia.

I do know one person( a classmate) who got off the Columbia waitlist last year 2016 though he declined and decided not go to law school.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 pm

latinxlawschool2020 wrote:
latinxlawschool2020 wrote:I would love to hear some more success stories ! Im waitlisted at one of my top schools that is notorious for waitlisting so many applicants- Columbia.

I do know one person( a classmate) who got off the Columbia waitlist last year 2016 though he declined and decided not go to law school.

Do you know what month it was? I'm curious if they really accept people in July or even August?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 pm

blelwoods wrote:
latinxlawschool2020 wrote:I would love to hear some more success stories ! Im waitlisted at one of my top schools that is notorious for waitlisting so many applicants- Columbia.

Do you know what month it was? I'm curious if they really accept people in July or even August?
I know someone that got into Duke like 24 hours before class started

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 pm

blelwoods wrote:

I can ask !!!!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm

chargers21 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:

24 hours before class started? LOL! Then it's probably an orientation no-show.
Is that even possible? I wonder where that person is going to live, since I'm having a little difficulty finding apartments as of now (3 months before the beginning of classes).

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:54 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:

24 hours before class started? LOL! Then it's probably an orientation no-show.
Is that even possible? I wonder where that person is going to live, since I'm having a little difficulty finding apartments as of now (3 months before the beginning of classes).
He actually attended, and lived in his car for like a week and a half until he found a law school student with an open room willing to let him move in lol

I still haven't gotten housing because I'm playing the field a bit on waitlists, but in the next week or so I'll probably sign a lease at century trinity estates. The management gets horrible reviews, but the rooms are nice and it's right by garret west so the drive isn't too bad. Plus they have vacancy lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”