Npret wrote: gargleblaster wrote: notsonotorious wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:If accepted I'll def accept their offer.
If they don't come through with financial aid I feel like I'll just drop out and reapply next year
Seems like a good way to get on their shitlist?
Reapply to other schools that aren't them is what I meant.
I don't really understand your thinking. You're going to accept an offer at Harvard that you know won't be giving you the financial aid you think you need. So then you're going to spend a year waiting and reapplying to other schools? Does this really comes down to how much financial aid Harvard will give you? I mean you just want to see the actual number so you can then withdraw and spend a year reapplying?
Well first off, I'm not sure how much money they will offer. If I knew that now I would be able to make a decision. What I'm trying to express (poorly) is that I'm unclear how H will assess my parental resources. When I was in college, most colleges expected my parents to contribute ~10k and obviously I had nothing. When I looked into this "institutional method" the calculator spit out like 60k a year from my parents - which would require them liquidating their entire life savings including their house and ruining their retirement.
I feel like this isn't right, but I can't get any solid info so I'm appealing to y'all here.
As far as accepting H's offer, I'm not super against doing something else for a year and just taking a heavily discounted lower t14 offer next year in the face of 300k loans from H. But if I'm totally miscalculating how much H is willing to offer I'm totally willing to wait and see and then drop off later if it doesn't work out.
Y'all seem sure that I won't get any aid but my point is that I have no clue, even with the info H publishes, because they don't just post a calculator.