Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still standing? Where in the WL process are you?

JSNone-> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
6
12%
JSNone-> WL (will ride it out)
12
23%
JSNone-> WL (planning to withdraw)
2
4%
JSNone-> WL-> Dinged or/ No JS1 yet or/ No JS2 yet
8
15%
JSNone-> WL -> JS1 -> JS2 !!
4
8%
JS1 -> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
1
2%
JS1 -> WL (will ride it out)
17
33%
JS1 -> WL (planning to withdraw)
0
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Dinged or/ No JS1b yet or/ No JS2 yet
0
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Had JS1b -> JS2 !!
2
4%
 
Total votes: 52

VapidP

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby VapidP » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:35 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Rigo wrote:
CA1993 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but does anyone know when typically people start hearing off the waitlist? I'm assuming you either hear mid - late May or not at all?

First round of waitlisters who haven't had JS1's start getting invited to do one May 5-10ish.

But yeah it seems like basically everyone who is going to get off WL gets off in May.

I think there's a smaller wave in early June from spots that open up from people moving off waitlists in May, but I've only heard of one person getting off a wait list past June.

Lurking here, but I want to say that I randomly met two 1Ls at H who got off the WL 2 and 3 weeks before classes started. So it definitely keeps rolling all summer (or at least has in the past.)


Lurker too. I know someone who got in the day before classes started, and he hauled his ass to Cambridge that night.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:41 pm

VapidP wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Rigo wrote:
CA1993 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but does anyone know when typically people start hearing off the waitlist? I'm assuming you either hear mid - late May or not at all?

First round of waitlisters who haven't had JS1's start getting invited to do one May 5-10ish.

But yeah it seems like basically everyone who is going to get off WL gets off in May.

I think there's a smaller wave in early June from spots that open up from people moving off waitlists in May, but I've only heard of one person getting off a wait list past June.

Lurking here, but I want to say that I randomly met two 1Ls at H who got off the WL 2 and 3 weeks before classes started. So it definitely keeps rolling all summer (or at least has in the past.)


Lurker too. I know someone who got in the day before classes started, and he hauled his ass to Cambridge that night.

Haha that's insane. I wonder what the situation there was.

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby sittykitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Rigo wrote:
VapidP wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
Rigo wrote:
CA1993 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but does anyone know when typically people start hearing off the waitlist? I'm assuming you either hear mid - late May or not at all?

First round of waitlisters who haven't had JS1's start getting invited to do one May 5-10ish.

But yeah it seems like basically everyone who is going to get off WL gets off in May.

I think there's a smaller wave in early June from spots that open up from people moving off waitlists in May, but I've only heard of one person getting off a wait list past June.

Lurking here, but I want to say that I randomly met two 1Ls at H who got off the WL 2 and 3 weeks before classes started. So it definitely keeps rolling all summer (or at least has in the past.)


Lurker too. I know someone who got in the day before classes started, and he hauled his ass to Cambridge that night.

Haha that's insane. I wonder what the situation there was.

What do you do about the tuition you've already paid at that point? Can they un-disburse your loans?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:48 pm

sittykitty wrote:What do you do about the tuition you've already paid at that point? Can they un-disburse your loans?

Pretty sure there are full refund deadlines after the semester actually starts, so you can probably make it work. Definitely a lot of last minute logistics shit.

Maybe this person just had rich parents footing the bill though.

eck456

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby eck456 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Rigo wrote:
sittykitty wrote:What do you do about the tuition you've already paid at that point? Can they un-disburse your loans?

Pretty sure there are full refund deadlines after the semester actually starts, so you can probably make it work. Definitely a lot of last minute logistics shit.

Maybe this person just had rich parents footing the bill though.


Yeah a friend of a friend had a similar situation where they started at Columbia since it's got an early date, did the first week of class and then got called for Harvard the following Monday. Not sure if I'd make the same call (tho not saying I wouldn't, adcomms!) but they didn't regret it. Not sure how they managed the finances tho

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby sittykitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Rigo wrote:
sittykitty wrote:What do you do about the tuition you've already paid at that point? Can they un-disburse your loans?

Pretty sure there are full refund deadlines after the semester actually starts, so you can probably make it work. Definitely a lot of last minute logistics shit.

Maybe this person just had rich parents footing the bill though.

Yeah this is a big thing I'm worried about. I'm riding this wait list as long as they'll let me, but would I have to repay whatever scholarships or grants have already been disbursed? I'm leaning towards being willing to eat that loss, though.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm

If I'm already attending classes at a school, I think I would just stay put.
So if you want me H, you gotta snatch me up next month! :wink:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby sittykitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I applied for on campus housing so I don't have to go through the hassle of breaking a lease if I get pulled after July :)

SpookySalem92

Bronze
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:29 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby SpookySalem92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

I wonder what kind of situation actually opens up a spot that late in the game.

VapidP

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby VapidP » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Rigo wrote:
sittykitty wrote:What do you do about the tuition you've already paid at that point? Can they un-disburse your loans?

Pretty sure there are full refund deadlines after the semester actually starts, so you can probably make it work. Definitely a lot of last minute logistics shit.

Maybe this person just had rich parents footing the bill though.


No he didn't. But as you can imagine it was a huge nightmare, but he got there and already had a ton of friends in Boston I think. I don't really know what he ended up doing with tuition

FLSFHYS

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby FLSFHYS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 am

LOCI should be 1 page, double-spaced, right?
My draft is like 2 pages -_-

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:41 am

What's all this hullabaloo about LOCI's?

They do not ask for one in the info they sent out when you accept your place on the WL.

Anyone have a concrete reason/justification to send one beyond nervousness?

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/

xandra_v

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby xandra_v » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 am

gargleblaster wrote:What's all this hullabaloo about LOCI's?

They do not ask for one in the info they sent out when you accept your place on the WL.

Anyone have a concrete reason/justification to send one beyond nervousness?

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/


In the FAQ, under "What can I do to strengthen my application?": If your application has been selected for the waitlist, this means that you are clearly a strong applicant to Harvard Law School. If, however, you believe additional materials or information would strengthen your application, you are welcome to send additions to your file. A one-page letter of continued interest or substantive resume update are good examples of relevant additions to your file.

User avatar
gargleblaster

Bronze
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby gargleblaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 am

xandra_v wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:What's all this hullabaloo about LOCI's?

They do not ask for one in the info they sent out when you accept your place on the WL.

Anyone have a concrete reason/justification to send one beyond nervousness?

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/


In the FAQ, under "What can I do to strengthen my application?": If your application has been selected for the waitlist, this means that you are clearly a strong applicant to Harvard Law School. If, however, you believe additional materials or information would strengthen your application, you are welcome to send additions to your file. A one-page letter of continued interest or substantive resume update are good examples of relevant additions to your file.


Lol maybe I should try reading the links I post.

Thanks for being patient with me!

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby sittykitty » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 am

FLSFHYS wrote:LOCI should be 1 page, double-spaced, right?
My draft is like 2 pages -_-

I sent single-spaced and they didn't crucify me

xandra_v

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby xandra_v » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 am

gargleblaster wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:What's all this hullabaloo about LOCI's?

They do not ask for one in the info they sent out when you accept your place on the WL.

Anyone have a concrete reason/justification to send one beyond nervousness?

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/


In the FAQ, under "What can I do to strengthen my application?": If your application has been selected for the waitlist, this means that you are clearly a strong applicant to Harvard Law School. If, however, you believe additional materials or information would strengthen your application, you are welcome to send additions to your file. A one-page letter of continued interest or substantive resume update are good examples of relevant additions to your file.


Lol maybe I should try reading the links I post.

Thanks for being patient with me!


No prob, dude/ette. We're all in the same boat!! Gotta help each other out :)

enoca

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby enoca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 am

Brevity is an important writing skill, y'all.

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby MrJD2020 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 pm

.
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby jjcorvino » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Rigo wrote:Debating if I should go on a vacation the week starting May 15th or 22nd. I won't be able to do school stuff on it so wondering if a JS1 is gonna happen it will happen by the 15th for me or if I shoulda just wait another week. It feels dumb to plan my life around a long shot H waitlist. :?


I have a similar dilemma, but later in the summer. I have my wedding June 17th, then I will be out of the country on my honeymoon from June 21-July 7. I am very nervous that somehow I will get a Harvard email to interview in that two week time period. I think I might preemptively call a few weeks before my honeymoon and tell them I will be out of the country during that time.


Why not just take a laptop and use Skype on that, or use the hotel's business center which surely will have a webcam available? If being available by cell phone is an issue, can't you just check your VM once a day or take it with you abroad and pay the small fee for cell service ($10/day with Verizon) so you can get the call?


I am going to be in some areas without great service/internet connections. Definitely will be checking email everyday that I can though.

SpookySalem92

Bronze
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:29 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby SpookySalem92 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

enoca wrote:Brevity is an important writing skill, y'all.


Also the soul of wit.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

idk how to write these things so I'm just gonna wing it and hope they find me charming.

User avatar
meeseeks

Silver
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby meeseeks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Rigo wrote:idk how to write these things so I'm just gonna wing it and hope they find me charming.


My plan as well

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby jjcorvino » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm

meeseeks wrote:
Rigo wrote:idk how to write these things so I'm just gonna wing it and hope they find me charming.


My plan as well


+1. I think i am going to discuss the Harvard lawyers I know that are doing amazing work. I mean, they know that their school is awesome, so I might as well talk about personal reasons that I think I would like to attend.

FLSFHYS

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby FLSFHYS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm

sittykitty wrote:
FLSFHYS wrote:LOCI should be 1 page, double-spaced, right?
My draft is like 2 pages -_-

I sent single-spaced and they didn't crucify me

Not to be that guy, but you can't be sure they didn't. A waitlist "kill" may not be apparent for months :shock:

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm

I did single space so my app is probably in the dumpster now.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests