Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still standing? Where in the WL process are you?

JSNone-> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
12%
JSNone-> WL (will ride it out)
23%
JSNone-> WL (planning to withdraw)
4%
JSNone-> WL-> Dinged or/ No JS1 yet or/ No JS2 yet
15%
JSNone-> WL -> JS1 -> JS2 !!
8%
JS1 -> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
2%
JS1 -> WL (will ride it out)
33%
JS1 -> WL (planning to withdraw)
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Dinged or/ No JS1b yet or/ No JS2 yet
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Had JS1b -> JS2 !!
4%

Total votes: 52

MrJD2020

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:Idts. Sorry, just really wanted the 1000th post. ;)

?

Edit: Ugh, thought I had it. Looks like you indeed were #1000.

CPA-JD, no I don't think anyone who posted on this thread who got the e-JS1b had sent in a LOCI.

spaceman

New

Postby spaceman » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

dianersg wrote:Had my JS1b this morning. They just wanted to know how my semester ended (I'm KJD) and if I would accept if admitted. I said I would, but also asked about financial aid, so I am worried I didn't come across as committed enough. For anyone else with an impending JS1B, I would think carefully about how you are going to ask/respond to questions beforehand.

has anyone else gotten a js1b phone call? i might've missed something, but it seemed like all the other js1bs were emails?

this is my first post :) i had a pre-wl js1.

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Thu May 11, 2017 4:22 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:Happy for everyone getting movement! Sending positive vibes, though I think this bodes poorly for those of us who have yet to hear a peep.

Not necessarily; I think for the pre-WL JS1 crowd it might not bode well to not be receiving a JS1b, but unless I'm missing something for JSnones I don't think there's any material change from last week (not being part of the first post-WL JS1 wave).

Yeah, I'm trying to convince myself that the first wave was just international applicants, but it seems like with the amount of movement that is happening, a lot of open seats are being filled at this point in the game.

Edit: for clarification.

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Postby SpookySalem92 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 pm

This is the way it worked (for the class of 2018)* as well, js1 wave --> js1b wave --> js2 wave --> echo JS1 wave, and then sporadic developments thereafter. The only difference now is it seems they might be working on a faster timeframe, which could be positive, or negative, or mean nothing at all.

As far as the first JS1 wave this year, all we really know for certain is that we weren't a part of it. Would've been nice if we were, and it presumably can't be a *good* thing that we weren't, but any reading beyond that is largely speculation.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 pm

My money is on tomorrow for JS2's. In past years, JS1b's came one or two days before JS2's.

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:My money is on tomorrow for JS2's. In past years, JS1b's came one or two days before JS2's.

Do we know those emails were JS1bs, though? Someone reported getting a call, and as far as we know they only went out to those who didn't send a LOCI.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:22 pm

sittykitty wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:My money is on tomorrow for JS2's. In past years, JS1b's came one or two days before JS2's.

Do we know those emails were JS1bs, though? Someone reported getting a call, and as far as we know they only went out to those who didn't send a LOCI.

I don't know why we wouldn't consider those JS1B's. Perhaps they only sent them to certain people who didn't send a LOCI because they had no other way to gauge continued interest, whereas for people who did send a LOCI, they read them and decided to either interview them, or not.

Are there people who got those emails who didn't send a LOCI but also didn't get pre-WL JS1's? If everyone who got the email had a pre-WL JS1, I'd consider the email a JS1b. I'd *definitely* consider the phone call a JS1b.

Also, MS9 said to expect significant WL movement this year, and how soon H starts WL JS2's will probably affect how soon other schools do, since there seems to be significant H/CCN overlap. So, I don't know, I just feel like signs point to *things happening*.

ColombiaConfused

New

Postby ColombiaConfused » Thu May 11, 2017 5:28 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

I don't know why we wouldn't consider those JS1B's. Perhaps they only sent them to certain people who didn't send a LOCI because they had no other way to gauge continued interest, whereas for people who did send a LOCI, they read them and decided to either interview them, or not.

Are there people who got those emails who didn't send a LOCI but also didn't get pre-WL JS1's? If everyone who got the email had a pre-WL JS1, I'd consider the email a JS1b. I'd *definitely* consider the phone call a JS1b.

Also, MS9 said to expect significant WL movement this year, and how soon H starts WL JS2's will probably affect how soon other schools do, since there seems to be significant H/CCN overlap. So, I don't know, I just feel like signs point to *things happening*.

If only people who didn't send a LOCI got the email, that still leaves a group of people, which includes myself, who did have a pre-WL JS1, sent a LOCI (or more), and didn't get the email. I'm not sure if that was what the OP was getting at or if that was just my reading of it because I'm biased and hoping I still have a chance, haha. (The thinking here would be that we've already been interviewed and sent a LOCI, so they wouldn't need to check in with us to gauge interest. Realizing it's a long shot of course, though).

That said, sending you and everyone positive vibes and excited that y'all are having movement! Fingers crossed :)

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:32 pm

ColombiaConfused wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

If only people who didn't send a LOCI got the email, that still leaves a group of people, which includes myself, who did have a pre-WL JS1, sent a LOCI (or more), and didn't get the email. I'm not sure if that was what the OP was getting at or if that was just my reading of it because I'm biased and hoping I still have a chance, haha. (The thinking here would be that we've already been interviewed and sent a LOCI, so they wouldn't need to check in with us to gauge interest. Realizing it's a long shot of course, though).

That said, sending you and everyone positive vibes and excited that y'all are having movement! Fingers crossed :)

Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking -- maybe they were just reaching out to folks who had a pre-WL JS1 but didn't send a LOCI to gauge interest? But like Mr.JD mentioned, that's basically the point of a JS1b, right? And JSNones who didn't send LOCI are not (to TLS knowledge) receiving similar communication. So I don't know -- but we'll find out soon!

heyitslj

New

Postby heyitslj » Thu May 11, 2017 5:34 pm

ColombiaConfused wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

Speaking as one of the supposed JS1b's today (I didn't send a LOCI), I think what he or she means is that they only are performing JS1b's on the phone for people who have not sent LOCI's. They will not be performing them for people who sent LOCI's because they already know your interest and what they would like to know. I may be completely off base though.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm

A lot of discussion on this thread today, so let me try to clear the air a bit.

I'm an international applicant. I had my JS1 before being WLed. I sent an LOCI in the 2nd half of April and received a confirmation 2 days after. Yesterday, I received the HLS email about following up re: fall plans, which told me I'd receive a call today. I had the call earlier in the day, and the speaker asked me where I'd deposited, any updates since my interview (he had my LOCI w/ him), whether I'd be able to commit to HLS and so on. I'm sure the email-and-call together qualify as a...JS1b?

So, they are definitely doing JS1bs for people who have sent in LOCIs. I think it has more to do with pre-WL JS1 (or not) than any LOCI

Now what this says about the JS2 waves I don't know. But best of luck to everyone on this thread!

ColombiaConfused

New

Postby ColombiaConfused » Thu May 11, 2017 5:40 pm

heyitslj wrote:
ColombiaConfused wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

Speaking as one of the supposed JS1b's today (I didn't send a LOCI), I think what he or she means is that they only are performing JS1b's on the phone for people who have not sent LOCI's. They will not be performing them for people who sent LOCI's because they already know your interest and what they would like to know. I may be completely off base though.

To add a tiny bit to this, which y'all might know already, in the past they've lumped JS1B and JS2 calls into one phone call, which **could** align with this theory if this happened to pre-WL JS1s who have sent LOCIs, which would also keep with the emails/calls being JS1Bs.

EDIT: and this could all be moot based on the above post!

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:51 pm

heyitslj wrote:
ColombiaConfused wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

I'm a he, and yes, that's what I meant. Of course this is just my theory. I'm just trying to convince myself that JS2's are imminent, that the emails/calls were all JS1b's, and that if you didn't get a JS1bemail/call but sent in a LOCI, then they've already decided whether you'll be in the first JS2 wave or not.

Again, this is just my theory.

And think of it this way: if you (this is a general "you", not you specifically) don't think the emails and calls this week were JS1b's, that means you think they will email or call people AGAIN to gauge interest before JS2's. I just don't see them doing that and there's nothing to indicate that they've done that before. There'sa probably a limit to the number of times they communicate with a waitlisted candidate to gauge interest before a JS2, and history suggests that number is *one*.

Again, this is just my theory...

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 pm

OK, based on the past few posts we must now conclude that we are in JS1b mode. In recent years, this has happened just one to two days before JS2'S.
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm

RictusErectus wrote:A lot of discussion on this thread today, so let me try to clear the air a bit.

I'm an international applicant. I had my JS1 before being WLed. I sent an LOCI in the 2nd half of April and received a confirmation 2 days after. Yesterday, I received the HLS email about following up re: fall plans, which told me I'd receive a call today. I had the call earlier in the day, and the speaker asked me where I'd deposited, any updates since my interview (he had my LOCI w/ him), whether I'd be able to commit to HLS and so on. I'm sure the email-and-call together qualify as a...JS1b?

So, they are definitely doing JS1bs for people who have sent in LOCIs. I think it has more to do with pre-WL JS1 (or not) than any LOCI

Now what this says about the JS2 waves I don't know. But best of luck to everyone on this thread!

Thank you for this info! I think you are the first to confirm that you sent in a LOCI and got the email. It sounds like they're really interested in you -- best of luck!

SamuelJ.H

New

Postby SamuelJ.H » Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 pm

RictusErectus wrote:A lot of discussion on this thread today, so let me try to clear the air a bit.

Out of curiosity are you a U.S. citizen-URM? with foreign credentials (hence no GPA)? which type of URM? In my approximation a URM with those numbers should have been near auto-admit.

myrik

New

Postby myrik » Thu May 11, 2017 11:03 pm

It does sound like JS1b's have gone out! But not to anyone who sent in a recent LOCI from what I'm reading

Then again, that's mainly me trying to stay positive. But it sounds like nobody who sent in a LOCI in May has been called re JS1b, and I do think that's relevant in the timeline bc it's more recent and it's after the deposit deadline.

Still, congrats to those with JS1b's! It's definitely a good sign and I'd love to be in that position too

ml0606148

New

Postby ml0606148 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 am

enthusiastically waiting for the second wave of JS1 after this imminent wave of JS2

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:08 pm

FUCK TELEMARKETERS

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:FUCK TELEMARKETERS

Not to be insensitive but does this mean silence on the JS2 front?

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm

eck456 wrote:

Yes, at least for me, at least for today, unless something happens very soon (HI JESSICA)

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
eck456 wrote:

Yes, at least for me, at least for today, unless something happens very soon (HI JESSICA)

Thanks for keeping us updated! Appreciate it

2020throwaway

New

Postby 2020throwaway » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Would visiting admissions maybe make a tiny difference if I'm on the waitlist? Also would peeps in here recommend doing it sooner than later?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Postby gargleblaster » Sat May 13, 2017 5:28 am

2020throwaway wrote:Would visiting admissions maybe make a tiny difference if I'm on the waitlist? Also would peeps in here recommend doing it sooner than later?

Definitely. You'd probably have to bring them an edible arrangement or some corn though.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Postby AllHailKingMao » Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 am

2020throwaway wrote:Would visiting admissions maybe make a tiny difference if I'm on the waitlist? Also would peeps in here recommend doing it sooner than later?

No, not at all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?