school sent out admission letters

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Plurple_Unicorn

school sent out admission letters

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I just checked LSN. Several posters (with my stats) have already received letters of admission. We sent in our applications around the same time (I sent my app a few days earlier). Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer? I'm feeling pretty bummed.

kaptainkeepa

Re: school sent out admission letters

Postby kaptainkeepa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 pm

What school?

Plurple_Unicorn

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:What school?

Not HLS. ;) It's a school in the top 100. Strong regional school.

kaptainkeepa

Postby kaptainkeepa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:
kaptainkeepa wrote:What school?

Not HLS. ;) It's a school in the top 100. Strong regional school.

Ok......

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm

In what universe could anyone actually answer this question without knowing anything about you and your application? Also, no need to spam the website with your nonsensical question. There are hundreds of reasons why you may not have been selected at this point in the cycle.

Plurple_Unicorn

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 pm

lymenheimer wrote:In what universe could anyone actually answer this question without knowing anything about you and your application? Also, no need to spam the website with your nonsensical question. There are hundreds of reasons why you may not have been selected at this point in the cycle.

I am not spamming the board, I am looking for advice. If you can't answer my question, you're just wasting your time by replying.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:In what universe could anyone actually answer this question without knowing anything about you and your application? Also, no need to spam the website with your nonsensical question. There are hundreds of reasons why you may not have been selected at this point in the cycle.

I am not spamming the board, I am looking for advice. If you can't answer my question, you're just wasting your time by replying.

No. You are looking for an answer. An answer that nobody has outside of the admissions committee at the school. And if anyone here was sitting on that adcomm, they wouldn't be able to respond because there is a range of 99 schools that you have "hinted" towards. Since I did answer your question and you just didn't like the answer, I'll list out a couple of potential reasons and you can pick which one you like:
They haven't finished reading your application.
They don't like your application.
They don't need another person with your numbers.
There was something in your application that is putting them on pause.
They are wondering why you are applying to their school.
You are a reapplicant so maybe it takes longer.

Plurple_Unicorn

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

No. You are looking for an answer. An answer that nobody has outside of the admissions committee at the school. And if anyone here was sitting on that adcomm, they wouldn't be able to respond because there is a range of 99 schools that you have "hinted" towards. I'll list out a couple of potential reasons though and you can pick which one you like:

Technically, adcomms wouldn't be able to respond to a TLS poster as it violates the committee confidentiality. I'm not saying some don't respond, but they technically shouldn't. Thanks for listing some reasons. Actually, I was asking for advice, as I don't know if I should submit another LOR, update my resume, etc.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

No. You are looking for an answer. An answer that nobody has outside of the admissions committee at the school. And if anyone here was sitting on that adcomm, they wouldn't be able to respond because there is a range of 99 schools that you have "hinted" towards. I'll list out a couple of potential reasons though and you can pick which one you like:

Technically, adcomms wouldn't be able to respond to a TLS poster as it violates the committee confidentiality. I'm not saying some don't respond, but they technically shouldn't. Thanks for listing some reasons.

Technically, you're missing the point.

Actually, I was asking for advice, as I don't know if I should submit another LOR, update my resume, etc.

Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer?

Yes. Very advice-oriented questions.

Plurple_Unicorn

Postby Plurple_Unicorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:52 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

Technically, adcomms wouldn't be able to respond to a TLS poster as it violates the committee confidentiality. I'm not saying some don't respond, but they technically shouldn't. Thanks for listing some reasons.

Technically, you're missing the point.

Actually, I was asking for advice, as I don't know if I should submit another LOR, update my resume, etc.

Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer?

Yes. Very advice-oriented questions.

"Thoughts" is a broad term. It can be an explanation and/or advice.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:"Thoughts" is a broad term. It can be an explanation and/or advice.

This site is amazing. Learning new definitions all over the place.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:19 pm

You shouldn't be reading tea leaves about admissions decisions. MyLSN is best used as a tool to formulate your application strategy, and it gets the closest to statistical likelihood of admissions, but boiling down admissions to a black and white process does it a bit of disservice. Despite LSAT/uGPA ruling on most decisions, it is still a process where people are reading your application and making strategic decisions to fill their class. That could mean taking someone with 1 pt higher on the LSAT (for median purposes) or sitting on someone who is >75ths because they are protecting their yield. The reasons for admissions decisions varying in timeline are sufficiently varied that you can't accurately predict when a decision will come in.

Considering you're asking this question now, did you apply fairly recently/late in the cycle? Late apps are notoriously hit or miss, because admissions is trying to fill less seats, and as such have to be simultaneously more selective and more sensitive to filling the class fully.

So, to the extent that anyone here can help you, I would just say sit tight, wait for decisions to be made, and make the decision of whether to attend once that decision comes in. Nothing you do will compel admissions to give you a decision.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 am

lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

No. You are looking for an answer. An answer that nobody has outside of the admissions committee at the school. And if anyone here was sitting on that adcomm, they wouldn't be able to respond because there is a range of 99 schools that you have "hinted" towards. Since I did answer your question and you just didn't like the answer, I'll list out a couple of potential reasons and you can pick which one you like:

This board is very well~we all know the attitude regarding schools outside the T-14 and OP leads me to believe the school is even outside the T-30 range aka a school TLS would not endorse. He or she comes off insecure on here regarding their school, which also makes the question harder to answer. I feel bad. OP probably doesn't want to read snarky comments like: "you should be happy you haven't been accepted yet." "do not waste your time on that school retake." "its a dump." "you won't find a job."

There are just some questions/answers that really become redundant on this board-OP wanted to avoid the iceberg.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:10 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

This board is very well~we all know the attitude regarding schools outside the T-14 and OP leads me to believe the school is even outside the T-30 range aka a school TLS would not endorse. He or she comes off insecure on here regarding their school, which also makes the question harder to answer. I feel bad. OP probably doesn't want to read snarky comments like: "you should be happy you haven't been accepted yet." "do not waste your time on that school retake." "its a dump." "you won't find a job."

There are just some questions/answers that really become redundant on this board-OP wanted to avoid the iceberg.

Or maybe it doesn't matter what school OP is referring to, because nobody can answer his question because nobody here is on the adcomm.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:28 am

Kind of like asking strangers at a bar, "why doesn't my crush like me back?"

Mr_Chukes

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Kind of like asking strangers at a bar, "why doesn't my crush like me back?"

classic question lol

guynourmin

Postby guynourmin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:OP wanted to avoid the iceberg.

not looking at the iceberg doesn't avoid it.

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:I just checked LSN. Several posters (with my stats) have already received letters of admission. We sent in our applications around the same time (I sent my app a few days earlier). Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer? I'm feeling pretty bummed.

Continue to check LSN, then, and you will see how varied admissions timelines are and how unnecessary this question is. Unless the school specifically states they review all applications in the order they are received and render all decisions in order as well (they don't state that, btw) there is no reason to think someone hearing back a week or two faster than you is significant.

Look at the timelines for these two and their wustl applications: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rinasmiley http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mel1014

BabyDoc2JD

Postby BabyDoc2JD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I am heartened by the number of considered responses this post has generated. On the whole I think it is nearly impossible to fully answer the question, though I think the general themes have been well considered. It reminds me that many of those on this site are pursuing law for the proper reasons. To consider the facts, ponder the options and help develop a strategy for our clients going forward. Nice job folks. As for the original post I think you need to consider your application for this year in terms of strengths and opportunities. If you don't get the results you were seeking, then an LSAT retake and perhaps if you can afford an admissions consultant for the next cycle. For this cycle I would sit tight. Says the man who refreshes his status checker every 2.5 seconds.

canafsa

Postby canafsa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

Or maybe it doesn't matter what school OP is referring to, because nobody can answer his question because nobody here is on the adcomm.

Of course. I was just pointing to the point when another font made a comment about how vague OP was regarding details.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm

guybourdin wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:OP wanted to avoid the iceberg.

not looking at the iceberg doesn't avoid it.

Plurple_Unicorn wrote:I just checked LSN. Several posters (with my stats) have already received letters of admission. We sent in our applications around the same time (I sent my app a few days earlier). Any thoughts as to why I didn't get a decision? I'm a reapplicant, so maybe it takes longer? I'm feeling pretty bummed.

Continue to check LSN, then, and you will see how varied admissions timelines are and how unnecessary this question is. Unless the school specifically states they review all applications in the order they are received and render all decisions in order as well (they don't state that, btw) there is no reason to think someone hearing back a week or two faster than you is significant.

Look at the timelines for these two and their wustl applications: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rinasmiley http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mel1014

Naw, I think OP was looking at the iceberg straight ahead, yet still decides to go full speed, but make a sharp right before impact.

Mr_Chukes

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Don't be bummed. Schools accept people whenever they feel like it. You can't base your acceptance on when others got in because it's not an automatic acceptance process.

Ferrisjso
still learning numbers

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Plurple_Unicorn wrote:

EXACTLY!

Keilz

Postby Keilz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 am

Here is a blog post that addresses your question

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/how-lo ... o-be-read/

Hennessy

Postby Hennessy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 am

can't tell if flame or

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”