Third choice wants Seat Deposit March 1st

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HennessyVSOP

Third choice wants Seat Deposit March 1st

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm

This seems early to me.

Still waiting on my first choice, applied in Dec, haven't heard from them yet

Second choice is Emory, which I'm still waiting to receive my letter / scholarship information for.

Third choice wants seat deposit - TTT where i have ties to the city/school, got a full $. Wouldn't be a bad choice. But I feel rushed, and I don't want to upset them by putting down a deposit and later backing out.

wat do TLS
Last edited by HennessyVSOP on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Chukes

Re: Third choice wants Seat Deposit March 1st

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Don't worry about upsetting them if you won't be going there.

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:17 pm

You can ask for an extension. Worst thing they'll say is no.

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Don't worry about upsetting them if you won't be going there.

i might be going there if my top 2 choices don't give me enough $

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:This seems early to me.

Second choice is Emory, which I'm still waiting to receive my letter / scholarship information for.

Third choice wants seat deposit - TTT where i have ties to the city/school, got a full $. Wouldn't be a bad choice. But I feel rushed, and I don't want to upset them by putting down a deposit and later backing out.

wat do TLS

Rescinding after the first deposit is acceptable if you inform them that you are still waiting. Etiquette is key. Rescinding after a second deposit could really fuck you. Read on TLS someone did that and the school he backed out for ended up revoking their offer.

March is SUPER early, so I think it's reasonable for you to make that requesT.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Tell them you are waiting on other school decisions and you cannot make a commitment at this time. Ask for them to reconsider your deposit deadline.

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Rescinding after the first deposit is acceptable if you inform them that you are still waiting. Etiquette is key. Rescinding after a second deposit could really fuck you. Read on TLS someone did that and the school he backed out for ended up revoking their offer.

♡♡♡ your avatar

basically i'll just send admissions team an e-mail like "Hey y'all, I'm gonna make this deposit, but I'm still waiting to hear back from some other choices, could you please not set anything in stone?"

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

♡♡♡ your avatar

basically i'll just send admissions team an e-mail like "Hey y'all, I'm gonna make this deposit, but I'm still waiting to hear back from some other choices, could you please not set anything in stone?"

Hahah thanks. I too, like coconut crab :lol:

Before making a deposit I'd go with what S. picquery suggested and ask for an extension. TBH they're probably trying to lock you in asap and set an early deadline so you're rushed into it. I'm a little bit of a cynical pessimist so I may be overthinking. Emory has been generous it seems. I don't know your numbers but I think people at median (and only for one stat even) are getting near two thirds tuition. COL in atl is a helluva lot cheaper than any other growing city and it's growing FAST. Anecdotal of course, but I've lived here near 25 years, so kind of reliable I guess :wink:

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Before making a deposit I'd go with what S. picquery suggested and ask for an extension. TBH they're probably trying to lock you in asap and set an early deadline so you're rushed into it. I'm a little bit of a cynical pessimist so I may be overthinking. Emory has been generous it seems. I don't know your numbers but I think people at median (and only for one stat even) are getting near two thirds tuition. COL in atl is a helluva lot cheaper than any other growing city and it's growing FAST. Anecdotal of course, but I've lived here near 25 years, so kind of reliable I guess :wink:

I would kill for a 2/3 at Emory - I would definitely take it. I love ATL.
However, I might be out for $ because my GPA is below 25th and my GPA is above their 75th. We'll see.
Last edited by HennessyVSOP on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:50 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:

Then why would you later back out?

floatie

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:However, I might be out for $ because my GPA is below 25th and my GPA is above their 75th. We'll see.

My GPA is <25, LSAT is >75, and I got $103.5k. Check out the Emory thread - others with similar numbers are getting pretty sizable scholarships from Emory. Don't count yourself out just yet ;)

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:04 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:

because if one of my top 2 choice gives me $ i will attend there instead
am i missing something

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:However, I might be out for $ because my GPA is below 25th and my GPA is above their 75th. We'll see.

LSAT you mean? If so, I'd expect a decent amount!

Npret

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:This seems early to me.

wat do TLS

I have known of people who got accepted to their waitlist school the day classes started and left for that school.This idea that second seat deposit means a school that has waitlisted you (or that you are negotiating financial aid with)can't accept you is incorrect. Maybe there is something that has changed over the past few years but a school can admit you off the waitlist even if you've deposited elsewhere.

You may be thinking of a person who broke a binding early decision acceptance to go to another school. Of course the second school rescinded his admission.That poster was famous on TLS for a while.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:32 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:

am i missing something

Then why does it matter if you upset them?
Eta: you're reacting in a circular manner.

1: your other schools give you money, and you back out of this school. Why does it matter if you upset them?
2: your other schools dont give you money. Then you don't back out. How would this upset them?

charles117

Postby charles117 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:39 pm

march 1 is still a few weeks away. chill

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:10 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Rescinding after the first deposit is acceptable if you inform them that you are still waiting. Etiquette is key. Rescinding after a second deposit could really fuck you. Read on TLS someone did that and the school he backed out for ended up revoking their offer.

Really? That's weird.

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:

am i missing something

Then why does it matter if you upset them?
Eta: you're reacting in a circular manner.

1: your other schools give you money, and you back out of this school. Why does it matter if you upset them?
2: your other schools dont give you money. Then you don't back out. How would this upset them?

oh duh
sorry i confused myself on this one

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Rigo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Rescinding after the first deposit is acceptable if you inform them that you are still waiting. Etiquette is key. Rescinding after a second deposit could really fuck you. Read on TLS someone did that and the school he backed out for ended up revoking their offer.

Really? That's weird.

Sorry Rigo! I was slightly wrong. The person in question had deposited at a school they ED then tried to rescind and go somewhere else. Offers were revoked from both schools.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:34 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Really? That's weird.

Sorry Rigo! I was slightly wrong. The person in question had deposited at a school they ED then tried to rescind and go somewhere else. Offers were revoked from both schools.

Oh yeah that's bad.

HennessyVSOP

Postby HennessyVSOP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm

So if I'm getting this right, first seat deposit will be reported to other schools but you can still get acceptances once it's placed, and it is not a binding decision?

like I'm not gonna get blacklisted from my future acceptances if i put this deposit down now, and then later reneg on it?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Seat deposits are reported to other schools?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:Seat deposits are reported to other schools?

Schools can see if you're double deposited iirc.
I don't think they get an email blast when you deposit somewhere else, but maybe they can view that? Idk.

The point is that deposits aren't binding. A lot of people double deposit and deposit yet remain on waitlists. The only thing you're giving up is the $500 or whatever if you don't matriculate.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Deposits are just a way for schools to thin the herd and see how their class is actually shaping up so they can use that information to admit more people.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Rigo wrote:Deposits are just a way for schools to thin the herd and see how their class is actually shaping up so they can use that information to admit more people.

Pretty sure they're also a way for those BLOODSUCKING VAMPIRES to make free cash $$$$$

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”