Northeastern c/o 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tuesdayninja

Re: Northeastern c/o 2020

Postby tuesdayninja » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by a Nalgene from Northeastern this evening!

BostonOrBust

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:I was pleasantly surprised by a Nalgene from Northeastern this evening!

Yes! The nalgene was a nice touch. I had seen someone get one a few years ago but assumed they'd stopped since I hadn't seen any comments here about it.

ouais_ouais

Postby ouais_ouais » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Stylnator wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:Any NUSL grads or students willing to take questions?

I'm a 1L at NUSL. Happy to help if I can.

What's your cost of living? And how much would it skyrocket if I wanted a one bedroom?

My cost of living is pretty low because I've lived here for a while and live with my significant other. If you want a one bedroom by yourself close to school you're looking at $1400-$2500 depending on the neighborhood. Also, by $1400 a month I should mention that is the price for a studio, and that is also a good deal. Sadly, Boston is really expensive and the housing market is overly saturated. If you're looking at SF, DC or NYC then it probably won't be too different though.

If you do end up here, I recommend checking out East Boston, Roslindale, JP, Brighton or Somerville for the cheapest housing. You'll have to travel further but they still haven't been overly gentrified yet.

BostonOrBust

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm

ouais_ouais wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
ouais_ouais wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:Any NUSL grads or students willing to take questions?

I'm a 1L at NUSL. Happy to help if I can.

What's your cost of living? And how much would it skyrocket if I wanted a one bedroom?

My cost of living is pretty low because I've lived here for a while and live with my significant other. If you want a one bedroom by yourself close to school you're looking at $1400-$2500 depending on the neighborhood. Also, by $1400 a month I should mention that is the price for a studio, and that is also a good deal. Sadly, Boston is really expensive and the housing market is overly saturated. If you're looking at SF, DC or NYC then it probably won't be too different though.

If you do end up here, I recommend checking out East Boston, Roslindale, JP, Brighton or Somerville for the cheapest housing. You'll have to travel further but they still haven't been overly gentrified yet.

Second as a Boston Res. JP and Brighton especially. I'm in Brighton and it's a lot of BC kids, but a young scene with nice, fairly priced units. Especially if you have a car and aren't looking to be right on the public transit line. I wouldn't mess with Fenway, Kenmore, Back Bay, South Boston, or Mission Hill (which is what the NUSL website seems to suggest) unless you enjoy blowing money. :shock: It's much harder to find a well priced single bedroom here, so I'd consider sharing an apartment if it's feasible for you.

808PILaw

Postby 808PILaw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:36 am

Stephylynette wrote:Was offered the PILS Scholarship today. Just letting y'all know in case anyone was wondering when that would be released!

I have been admitted and told that I have a full-tuition scholarship, but no mention of PILS. Does that definitely mean I'm not getting PILS or might I still be a candidate for PILS? Did your letter reference PILS and give additional information about it?

The website makes it seem like PILS is the only full-tuition scholarship, but from the sounds of the various posts, it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Stephylynette

Postby Stephylynette » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm

808PILaw wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:Was offered the PILS Scholarship today. Just letting y'all know in case anyone was wondering when that would be released!

I have been admitted and told that I have a full-tuition scholarship, but no mention of PILS. Does that definitely mean I'm not getting PILS or might I still be a candidate for PILS? Did your letter reference PILS and give additional information about it?

The website makes it seem like PILS is the only full-tuition scholarship, but from the sounds of the various posts, it doesn't seem like that's the case.

No you could definitely still be in the running for PILS. I was originally offered a full tuition scholarship in December and interviewed and accepted in PILS in January. My original letter made no mention of PILS. Was sent an email later. So you've definitely still got a shot! Either way, you've basically got everything a PILS Scholar has anyway so you're good. Lol

BostonOrBust

Postby BostonOrBust » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
808PILaw wrote:

No you could definitely still be in the running for PILS. I was originally offered a full tuition scholarship in December and interviewed and accepted in PILS in January. My original letter made no mention of PILS. Was sent an email later. So you've definitely still got a shot! Either way, you've basically got everything a PILS Scholar has anyway so you're good. Lol

Congrats on the PILS Stephlynette! I am in the same boat haha. I know I shouldn't care if the outcome is the same but the silly part of me still really wants PILS lol.

EY1015

Postby EY1015 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 pm

My app has been complete since Dec. 8, still no change in status to date, should I call and see if something is wrong?

KDavis95

Postby KDavis95 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

EY1015 wrote:My app has been complete since Dec. 8, still no change in status to date, should I call and see if something is wrong?

It hasn't been that long really. I'd wait at least until beginning of march. What are your stats? URM?

EY1015

Postby EY1015 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 am

KDavis95 wrote:
EY1015 wrote:My app has been complete since Dec. 8, still no change in status to date, should I call and see if something is wrong?

It hasn't been that long really. I'd wait at least until beginning of march. What are your stats? URM?

Okay Thanks, Im just getting worried cause another school "accidentally skipped over my application."
3.4+ GPA, 153 Lsat, and yes I am URM.

ekg212

Postby ekg212 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 pm

EY1015 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:

Okay Thanks, Im just getting worried cause another school "accidentally skipped over my application."

I've had schools reach out right away when LSAC didn't send them stuff or something like that happened, so I wouldn't worry about it - they usually will tell you if something is wrong.

KDavis95

Postby KDavis95 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 pm

EY1015 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:

Hmm that's strange. Well I'd still wait it out a little and see. I'm also URM but a reverse splitter. Idk if that really matters but my lsat was lower than yours and I got in after 9 days...

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Just got my financial aid package!

Scary seeing those living costs..

thefuturewoods

Postby thefuturewoods » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 pm

EY1015 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:

If it helps I've been complete since December 1st and still haven't heard anything back, I'm not a URM and I had a 154 LSAT so hopefully that gives you a little bit of reassurance

EY1015

Postby EY1015 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:32 pm

thefuturewoods wrote:
EY1015 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:

If it helps I've been complete since December 1st and still haven't heard anything back, I'm not a URM and I had a 154 LSAT so hopefully that gives you a little bit of reassurance

Yes that does! Hopefully we both have some movement soon!

Hopeful5

Postby Hopeful5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Still nothing??? Went complete 1/12

EY1015

Postby EY1015 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Hopeful5 wrote:Still nothing??? Went complete 1/12

If it makes you feel better I've been complete since 12-8. nothing since.

thefuturewoods

Postby thefuturewoods » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:27 pm

EY1015 wrote:

Also still have heard nothing, sent in application November 30th and have been complete since the 1st of December. :x :x

moka087

Postby moka087 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:16 pm

thefuturewoods wrote:
EY1015 wrote:

Also still have heard nothing, sent in application November 30th and have been complete since the 1st of December. :x :x

I was waitlisted last year and withdrew, then worked another year, and applied again. I have been complete since 11-5 and still nothing which is making me a little crazy. But better than being waitlisted again I guess.

linquest

Postby linquest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 pm

2009 grad. I answered a bunch of questions about the grading and co-op systems, and why I chose NUSL, here-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75056

Happy to answer new questions. Overall, I'd say my degree and co-op experience from Northeastern have served me pretty well in my legal career.

mrtux45

Postby mrtux45 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 pm

linquest wrote:2009 grad. I answered a bunch of questions about the grading and co-op systems, and why I chose NUSL, here-
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=75056

Happy to answer new questions. Overall, I'd say my degree and co-op experience from Northeastern have served me pretty well in my legal career.

Thanks for offering! I've actually seen that linked thread before.

How have your co-ops actually helped your career? Care to share what you/friends you know of are doing?

linquest

Postby linquest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 pm

mrtux45 wrote:How have your co-ops actually helped your career? Care to share what you/friends you know of are doing?

I'm a government lawyer and have worked at 2 federal agencies. I have my current job in part because of co-op. When I applied for this position as a lateral, I was the only 1 of over 400 applicants that had experience with one of the obscure statutes that my agency enforces (not taught in law school), and that experience came from one of my co-op employers.

Aside from that, the co-op program helps by simply giving you more hours of legal experience under your belt by the time you graduate, and you have the opportunity to work for more types of organizations than just the traditional 2 summers (or less, if you study abroad 1 summer). If you work for more types of employers (e.g. large/small firm, government, non-profit), you'll have a better idea of what setting you'll best fit in. If you're undecided about which legal specialty you want to practice, you can experience more specialties (I knew which specialty I wanted though, so all mine were in the same same practice area but for different types of orgs). Additionally, working for different orgs gives you more exposure to different writing and supervisory styles. I've found throughout my career, as well as in supervising interns and junior attorneys, that adaptability to different styles just makes life easier. I spoke more about the advantages of the co-op system here-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75056#p1712552

Here are some of the jobs that my friends from NUSL have had:
federal attorney: DOJ- Bd of Immigration Appeals (Honors Program), DoEd, HHS (Deputy Director, Office of Equal Opportunity), FLRA attorney-advisor, NLRB (Honors Program), DOL (couple of senior attorneys and a supervisory Counsel for Interpretation and Advice)
Presidential Mgt Fellow at HUD
Officer at UN-HCR in Ecuador
Equal Justice Works fellows at NY Civil Liberties Union and a disability NGO in Chicago
Chair of the NYC Commission on Human Rights
General Counsel and several AGCs of national unions, AFL-CIO legal fellow
Legal Aid staff attorneys in NYC and New Orleans
solo practitioner in NYC representing actors and musicians
one of the 1st attorneys to start a boutique firm for student loan law (and, literally, wrote the book on it)
In-house counsel at Amtrak
Associates at Morgan Lewis, Ropes & Gray, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, and Mintz Levin
independent literary agent
Partner at plaintiff-side boutique firm
And unfortunately, having graduated in the 2009 employment cesspool, I know several grads who have been permanent doc review monkeys (full disclosure!)

marissaxbeth

Postby marissaxbeth » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I applied ED and was deferred to the regular applicant pool and haven't heard from them again since I was told that in the beginning of January. Anyone else? Or anyone deferred and then did hear back already?

meepmeepx

Postby meepmeepx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:55 pm

marissaxbeth wrote:I applied ED and was deferred to the regular applicant pool and haven't heard from them again since I was told that in the beginning of January. Anyone else? Or anyone deferred and then did hear back already?

I haven't heard anything yet either! Crossing my fingers.

lawof11

Postby lawof11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Gave it a scout's try but I was told that Northeastern doesn't negotiate scholarships, FYI.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”