The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
45
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
131
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
36
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
63
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
32
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
20
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
16
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
16
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
44
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
17
4%
 
Total votes: 420

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Instrumental » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:36 am

lula43 wrote:Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?

Yeah. I think I'm going to pass on it.

User avatar
chasima

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby chasima » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 am

lula43 wrote:Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?


I did. I was just checking the board to see if there was a thread for duke's waitlist class this year yet, but i guess not. I'm assuming this means they're going to start pulling from the waitlist soon. On that link they sent for the waitlist update page in the email it says they expect to send out some offers to people.

haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby haley12 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:07 am

The emails from Gtown and Duke give me hope that we will start seeing movement soon :)

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby sittykitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

Is there a downside to riding out a wait list you're not sure about? I'm on a bunch and I have my top picks, but a couple of them I can't say for sure whether I'd abandon my current deposit for them if I'm admitted off the wait list. I feel bad for sitting on them even though I know there are other people who would enroll in a heartbeat, esp. since I feel this way about other schools. But I also don't want to limit my options. :(

User avatar
melmelcoolj

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby melmelcoolj » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:01 pm

chasima wrote:
lula43 wrote:Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?


I did. I was just checking the board to see if there was a thread for duke's waitlist class this year yet, but i guess not. I'm assuming this means they're going to start pulling from the waitlist soon. On that link they sent for the waitlist update page in the email it says they expect to send out some offers to people.


I just did too. The email looks very generic to me, so they probably mass-mailed it to everyone on their waitlist/priority reserve.

But what is up with Georgetown? They did not even send me a feeler email...

haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby haley12 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:03 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
chasima wrote:
lula43 wrote:Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?


I did. I was just checking the board to see if there was a thread for duke's waitlist class this year yet, but i guess not. I'm assuming this means they're going to start pulling from the waitlist soon. On that link they sent for the waitlist update page in the email it says they expect to send out some offers to people.


I just did too. The email looks very generic to me, so they probably mass-mailed it to everyone on their waitlist/priority reserve.

But what is up with Georgetown? They did not even send me a feeler email...


Got Duke too, definitely think everyone got it. It did say the survey was mandatory...

For Gtown, I think you didn't get it if you've expressed interest recently? That's what it sounded like in the other thread.

latetothis

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby latetothis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:03 pm

.
Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
melmelcoolj

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby melmelcoolj » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:42 pm

haley12 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
chasima wrote:
lula43 wrote:Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?


I did. I was just checking the board to see if there was a thread for duke's waitlist class this year yet, but i guess not. I'm assuming this means they're going to start pulling from the waitlist soon. On that link they sent for the waitlist update page in the email it says they expect to send out some offers to people.


I just did too. The email looks very generic to me, so they probably mass-mailed it to everyone on their waitlist/priority reserve.

But what is up with Georgetown? They did not even send me a feeler email...


Got Duke too, definitely think everyone got it. It did say the survey was mandatory...

For Gtown, I think you didn't get it if you've expressed interest recently? That's what it sounded like in the other thread.


Oh, you are right, that might have been it. I sent in a LOCI roughly a week ago, and they emailed me a receipt four days ago. So I assume they won't need to ask me again.

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tinyvessels » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Quick questions, are you all emailing or physically mailing in your LOCIs?

Also, I may be visiting the city where my waitlisted school is at in the coming weeks and was debating setting up a time to tour the school, do you think it would realistically increase chances, or is that just hearsay?

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

tinyvessels wrote:Quick questions, are you all emailing or physically mailing in your LOCIs?

Also, I may be visiting the city where my waitlisted school is at in the coming weeks and was debating setting up a time to tour the school, do you think it would realistically increase chances, or is that just hearsay?


depends on the school. schools inside the T6 are less receptive to visits usually

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tinyvessels » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:28 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
depends on the school. schools inside the T6 are less receptive to visits usually


It's not t6, but t13 and according to their admissions office they seemed to welcome students who wanted to tour the campus. But since I am a waitlisted student, I'm not sure if the touring process would be weird/awkward as a waitlisted student, which is why I don't know if I should bother and just stick to sending LOCIs.

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Hennessy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:30 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:Quick questions, are you all emailing or physically mailing in your LOCIs?

Also, I may be visiting the city where my waitlisted school is at in the coming weeks and was debating setting up a time to tour the school, do you think it would realistically increase chances, or is that just hearsay?


depends on the school. schools inside the T6 are less receptive to visits usually


My idea is that if you physically mail it, an adcomm has to touch the piece of paper and place it in your file. Less chance of it getting missed or overlooked.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:33 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
depends on the school. schools inside the T6 are less receptive to visits usually


It's not t6, but t13 and according to their admissions office they seemed to welcome students who wanted to tour the campus. But since I am a waitlisted student, I'm not sure if the touring process would be weird/awkward as a waitlisted student, which is why I don't know if I should bother and just stick to sending LOCIs.


its only weird or awkward if you make it that way. if you are interested then go and make it into a good LOCI

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tinyvessels » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to mail my LOCIs in exactly for that reason. They have to physically put it in their file and less chance of it being ignored through email.

User avatar
chichi1992

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby chichi1992 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm

It seems like the general consensus is that LOCIs should be no more than one page (double spaced?). Mine is 2 pages double spaced. I'm trying to cut down, but I have a bunch of relevant/interesting work updates to share. I'm quitting my job in mid-May, so this might be my last opportunity to update the school on work-related accomplishments.

That being said--is two pages overkill? This will be my second LOCI. My first was about a page, and mostly just stated that I would attend if admitted + reiterated my personal connection to the school.

I'd also be interested in swapping, if someone is okay with reading a document with an obnoxious amount of redacted information...

Charlie802

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Charlie802 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

What's the consensus of calling a school that sent a feeler email a week ago and has since gone silent? I'm growing very impatient here.

haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby haley12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Charlie802 wrote:What's the consensus of calling a school that sent a feeler email a week ago and has since gone silent? I'm growing very impatient here.


If you mean Gtown/duke those were mass emails so I wouldn't really expect a response at this point.

Charlie802

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Charlie802 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 pm

haley12 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:What's the consensus of calling a school that sent a feeler email a week ago and has since gone silent? I'm growing very impatient here.


If you mean Gtown/duke those were mass emails so I wouldn't really expect a response at this point.


I don't. It was GW and there were two versions that went out. I was on the more promising one that indicated they were looking at taking people off "as early as next week". But no one has heard anything. I'm just interested in if they have a new timeline.

mangomochi

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby mangomochi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm

chichi1992 wrote:It seems like the general consensus is that LOCIs should be no more than one page (double spaced?). Mine is 2 pages double spaced. I'm trying to cut down, but I have a bunch of relevant/interesting work updates to share. I'm quitting my job in mid-May, so this might be my last opportunity to update the school on work-related accomplishments.

That being said--is two pages overkill? This will be my second LOCI. My first was about a page, and mostly just stated that I would attend if admitted + reiterated my personal connection to the school.

I'd also be interested in swapping, if someone is okay with reading a document with an obnoxious amount of redacted information...


As far as I know, general consensus is one page single spaced, so I think the amount you wrote is fine. I've personally been single spacing mine so they can fit on one page because I think they look better that way.

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby jessmeesh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm

And NYU makes 8 waitlists out of 14 applications.

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm

chichi1992 wrote:It seems like the general consensus is that LOCIs should be no more than one page (double spaced?). Mine is 2 pages double spaced. I'm trying to cut down, but I have a bunch of relevant/interesting work updates to share. I'm quitting my job in mid-May, so this might be my last opportunity to update the school on work-related accomplishments.

That being said--is two pages overkill? This will be my second LOCI. My first was about a page, and mostly just stated that I would attend if admitted + reiterated my personal connection to the school.

I'd also be interested in swapping, if someone is okay with reading a document with an obnoxious amount of redacted information...


You can PM yours to read if you want a second opinion. Mine is still a work in progress, so I would have to send it to you later today if that's alright with you.

Also, have you thought of splitting your two pager LOCI into two one pagers? I'm basically going to send one every month from here on out, so idk if you want to put all your points in one massive LOCI this early in the waitlist game.

haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby haley12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm

NYU makes 10/14 for me! That 71% WL rate tho <3

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

haley12 wrote:NYU makes 10/14 for me! That 71% WL rate tho <3


Damn, I'm sorry. Are you going to wait it out or reapply next cycle?

User avatar
tncats

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby tncats » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Are y'all waiting to sign leases until you hear back from waitlists?

haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby haley12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:45 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
haley12 wrote:NYU makes 10/14 for me! That 71% WL rate tho <3


Damn, I'm sorry. Are you going to wait it out or reapply next cycle?


It's ok! I've applied to teach abroad and been accepted to that program so I have a great option for this coming year, also WashU with $$$

I will wait it out and if no one bites, I'll go abroad and try again next year :)



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CollegeParanoia, Longchamp1 and 25 guests