The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
45
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
131
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
36
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
63
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
32
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
20
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
16
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
16
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
44
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
17
4%
 
Total votes: 420

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Hennessy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Also cuz word documents look like hell, and open slowly on phones. PDFs are crisp and clean.

tparty

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]o

Postby tparty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
tncats wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
tparty wrote:
tncats wrote:do y'all just put your LOCIs in the body of the email, or do you print it, sign it, and scan it in as a pdf? mid-April, and I am super neurotic


I've just been attaching it as a word document with a short e-mail letting the committee know that I would like it added to my application. Don't think you need to be signing and PDF'ing tbh.



Word docs sketch me out. I would never send anything as a word doc unless it was a draft because they can accidentally be edited so easily. Just imagine someone downloads the file, opens it, goes to hit print, but misclicks and changes something. Plus, if someone has a different version of word than you, the conversion can mess up your formatting. PDF is much safer and more professional.


I agree with this. Attachments should be converted to PDFs IMO.


Yeah Word doc attachments are bad practice. Plus they're much more of a PITA to open than PDFs.

Also because Word docs can be embedded with viruses, PDFs are standard practice for business correspondence.


Welp, it's worked fine for me thus far. But I can see how it could be a problem. Will do PDF's in the future. Still don't think you need to print and sign though!

sittykitty

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]o

Postby sittykitty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 pm

tparty wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
tncats wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
tparty wrote:
tncats wrote:do y'all just put your LOCIs in the body of the email, or do you print it, sign it, and scan it in as a pdf? mid-April, and I am super neurotic


I've just been attaching it as a word document with a short e-mail letting the committee know that I would like it added to my application. Don't think you need to be signing and PDF'ing tbh.



Word docs sketch me out. I would never send anything as a word doc unless it was a draft because they can accidentally be edited so easily. Just imagine someone downloads the file, opens it, goes to hit print, but misclicks and changes something. Plus, if someone has a different version of word than you, the conversion can mess up your formatting. PDF is much safer and more professional.


I agree with this. Attachments should be converted to PDFs IMO.


Yeah Word doc attachments are bad practice. Plus they're much more of a PITA to open than PDFs.

Also because Word docs can be embedded with viruses, PDFs are standard practice for business correspondence.


Welp, it's worked fine for me thus far. But I can see how it could be a problem. Will do PDF's in the future. Still don't think you need to print and sign though!

I electronically sign my PDFs using my handy dandy Preview app if that helps anyone. It looks nice but I don't have to print or scan anything and none of the text gets blurry.

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Is anyone else considering a last minute June LSAT registration? I have a few t6 schools that WL me, but I mostly want to squeeze more money out of where I already deposited... Wonder if it's worth it to break out the LSAT prep and start studying more. URM, mid 16x, 3.8..

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm

If anyone wants eyes on LOCIs, feel free to hit me up. I'll pester you about some too!

User avatar
melmelcoolj

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby melmelcoolj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Just got reserved at Columbia. I knew it was coming. So a total of 7 right now. FML.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm

well, on the bright side, we can see waitlist movement from schools like NYU (if it ever builds the waitlist) and Penn in as little as 2 weeks!

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

WLLS Class of 2020 represent.

User avatar
hydrohect

New
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby hydrohect » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:20 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:Is anyone else considering a last minute June LSAT registration? I have a few t6 schools that WL me, but I mostly want to squeeze more money out of where I already deposited... Wonder if it's worth it to break out the LSAT prep and start studying more. URM, mid 16x, 3.8..

I went ahead and registered. It can only help and I'm already checked out at work anyways so....

User avatar
ahendrix3

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby ahendrix3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:Is anyone else considering a last minute June LSAT registration? I have a few t6 schools that WL me, but I mostly want to squeeze more money out of where I already deposited... Wonder if it's worth it to break out the LSAT prep and start studying more. URM, mid 16x, 3.8..

+1

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby lilitiger99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:16 pm

hydrohect wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:Is anyone else considering a last minute June LSAT registration? I have a few t6 schools that WL me, but I mostly want to squeeze more money out of where I already deposited... Wonder if it's worth it to break out the LSAT prep and start studying more. URM, mid 16x, 3.8..

I went ahead and registered. It can only help and I'm already checked out at work anyways so....


I'm going to register today I think. Haven't even looked at the LSAT since dec 2016 though...

raeofsunshine

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby raeofsunshine » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Has anyone heard any movement on a waitlist yet?

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 pm

raeofsunshine wrote:Has anyone heard any movement on a waitlist yet?



I got in off of Vandy's WL on Friday.

latetothis

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby latetothis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

.
Last edited by latetothis on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latetothis

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby latetothis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
raeofsunshine wrote:Has anyone heard any movement on a waitlist yet?



I got in off of Vandy's WL on Friday.


That's awesome! Congratulations.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

latetothis wrote:- Please don't quote - Have any of you told schools that you would definitely attend if accepted? I'm strongly interested in a school where I've been waitlisted, but I wouldn't' say I'm 100% because of financial considerations. How do you all handle this? Some people seem to be comfortable telling multiple schools that they would attend if admitted, and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with telling even one school that if I'm not actually 100% sure.


What would they do if they accept you and you decide not to go?? Rescind the offer that you didn't want? haha

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

latetothis wrote:



I put something along the lines of "I would be happy to attend" in my WhyXs that were sorta sent like LOCIs. I did it for multiple schools, but only schools that I would seriously commit to. If I get off the waitlist at one of them, I'll withdraw from the others pretty quickly.

latetothis

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby latetothis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 pm

.
Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby Jack_Kelly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm

In at UTK
Denied at GMU
WL'd at W&M, W&L, UNC, UC Boulder (priority) :cry:
3.4, 160. Retaking June LSAT and seeing if I can get those to budge (or more $ at UTK)

User avatar
melmelcoolj

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby melmelcoolj » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 pm

latetothis wrote:- Please don't quote - Have any of you told schools that you would definitely attend if accepted? I'm strongly interested in a school where I've been waitlisted, but I wouldn't' say I'm 100% because of financial considerations. How do you all handle this? Some people seem to be comfortable telling multiple schools that they would attend if admitted, and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with telling even one school that if I'm not actually 100% sure.


I don't think they can do anything, and other schools cannot read your LOCIs. So you are pretty much writing whatever you deem necessary.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 pm

okay but also for the love of god, those of you joining this party late, do not just tell every single school that you'd absolutely attend if accepted.

a cautionary story I tell to discourage this behavior: I once was in admissions at *T6*X and saw an admissions person from *T6*Y there, and they were awfully cozy. at the time I first posted this story not one person could posit a theory as to why.

we have no idea who interacts with whom, and whether these schools have secret friendships or alliances. so, just be smart!

User avatar
mtf612

Bronze
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby mtf612 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:okay but also for the love of god, those of you joining this party late, do not just tell every single school that you'd absolutely attend if accepted.

a cautionary story I tell to discourage this behavior: I once was in admissions at *T6*X and saw an admissions person from *T6*Y there, and they were awfully cozy. at the time I first posted this story not one person could posit a theory as to why.

we have no idea who interacts with whom, and whether these schools have secret friendships or alliances. so, just be smart!


I'm personally treating my "will attend if accepted" LoCI as if it were waitlist binding early decision lol. HLS please love me

I'm positive that adcomms do check with one another if something seems off. For example, candidate tells school X that school Y gave them some huge scholarship. It isn't rare that school X calls up Y to double check if the number seems unreasonable.

So if a candidate uses the "will attend" LOCI, the waitlisting school is totally able to call up the deposited school and say that "Candidate Dumbo's character should be in question, they lied on their loci to us!"

Personally, I think an honest loci will be more powerful than one Frankensteined together. Passion for a school should seep through the page. I know for a couple of why X essays I wrote earlier this cycle I had to pull teeth to get words on screen. Those schools didn't work out (yp/wl).

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby lilitiger99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 am

mtf612 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:okay but also for the love of god, those of you joining this party late, do not just tell every single school that you'd absolutely attend if accepted.

a cautionary story I tell to discourage this behavior: I once was in admissions at *T6*X and saw an admissions person from *T6*Y there, and they were awfully cozy. at the time I first posted this story not one person could posit a theory as to why.

we have no idea who interacts with whom, and whether these schools have secret friendships or alliances. so, just be smart!


I'm personally treating my "will attend if accepted" LoCI as if it were waitlist binding early decision lol. HLS please love me

I'm positive that adcomms do check with one another if something seems off. For example, candidate tells school X that school Y gave them some huge scholarship. It isn't rare that school X calls up Y to double check if the number seems unreasonable.

So if a candidate uses the "will attend" LOCI, the waitlisting school is totally able to call up the deposited school and say that "Candidate Dumbo's character should be in question, they lied on their loci to us!"

Personally, I think an honest loci will be more powerful than one Frankensteined together. Passion for a school should seep through the page. I know for a couple of why X essays I wrote earlier this cycle I had to pull teeth to get words on screen. Those schools didn't work out (yp/wl).



eh... but personally when I wrote my LOCI to Stanford, H, etc. and I said I WOULD attend if I was given the chance, I wasn't lying. You can say that to multiple schools - it's not like they necessarily know 1. or 2. it's not like you're breaching a contract. If you would attend if given the chance, it doesn't matter if it's 10 schools or 20 or 3 schools. A LOCI is a LOCI and I doubt they're sitting around comparing notes on X applicant for LOCI on the WL that they didn't even accept you in the first place?

Though the scholarship thing is true. I know personally of a t13 applicant that lost a scholly because of fudging numbers.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 am

mtf612 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:okay but also for the love of god, those of you joining this party late, do not just tell every single school that you'd absolutely attend if accepted.

a cautionary story I tell to discourage this behavior: I once was in admissions at *T6*X and saw an admissions person from *T6*Y there, and they were awfully cozy. at the time I first posted this story not one person could posit a theory as to why.

we have no idea who interacts with whom, and whether these schools have secret friendships or alliances. so, just be smart!


I'm personally treating my "will attend if accepted" LoCI as if it were waitlist binding early decision lol. HLS please love me

I'm positive that adcomms do check with one another if something seems off. For example, candidate tells school X that school Y gave them some huge scholarship. It isn't rare that school X calls up Y to double check if the number seems unreasonable.

So if a candidate uses the "will attend" LOCI, the waitlisting school is totally able to call up the deposited school and say that "Candidate Dumbo's character should be in question, they lied on their loci to us!"

Personally, I think an honest loci will be more powerful than one Frankensteined together. Passion for a school should seep through the page. I know for a couple of why X essays I wrote earlier this cycle I had to pull teeth to get words on screen. Those schools didn't work out (yp/wl).


Eh, I think this might be true to an extent. However, there is definitely a way to word these so that you aren't lying to them but stretching the truth a bit.

User avatar
lula43

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Postby lula43 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 am

Did anyone else just get the Waitlist Update email from Duke?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests