The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
45
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
131
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
36
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
63
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
32
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
20
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
16
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
16
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
44
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
17
4%
 
Total votes: 420

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby haley12 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Has anyone used MS9 for WL help? If so, I'd appreciate a PM :D would love to hear how it works.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about it, right?


I called the other day and they said that they basically help send updates/LOCIs and plan visits if you can. I got the impression that there isn't much they can do but they did say that they would roll the money over to next cycle if you don't get off a waitlist.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am

haley12 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Has anyone used MS9 for WL help? If so, I'd appreciate a PM :D would love to hear how it works.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about it, right?


I called the other day and they said that they basically help send updates/LOCIs and plan visits if you can. I got the impression that there isn't much they can do but they did say that they would roll the money over to next cycle if you don't get off a waitlist.


Thank you, Haley!

User avatar
Nightwing

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Nightwing » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm

I'm sick of LOCIs. I'm sick of LOCIs so very, very much.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 am

Nightwing wrote:I'm sick of LOCIs. I'm sick of LOCIs so very, very much.


Same. It's too much.

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby haley12 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
Nightwing wrote:I'm sick of LOCIs. I'm sick of LOCIs so very, very much.


Same. It's too much.


+180

User avatar
TudoBem

Bronze
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby TudoBem » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I withdrew from GULC, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, Cornell and Duke WLs. Hope it helps.

User avatar
Nightwing

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Nightwing » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:59 pm

TudoBem wrote:I withdrew from GULC, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, Cornell and Duke WLs. Hope it helps.


All on my list. Thank you.

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby haley12 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Nightwing wrote:
TudoBem wrote:I withdrew from GULC, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, Cornell and Duke WLs. Hope it helps.


All on my list. Thank you.


5/6 :)

MadamSecretary

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby MadamSecretary » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Waitlisted at Columbia, Northwestern, Vandy, BU, UCLA, Fordham

help.....

JGPGH

New
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby JGPGH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience writing LOCI? If so, would anyone be willing to help me out by reading over mine? I would really appreciate a second opinion on it in regards to content, grammar etc. Doesn't have to be anything too in-depth, just a quick read through. Thanks!

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby floatie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 pm

JGPGH wrote:Hey guys, does anyone have any experience writing LOCI? If so, would anyone be willing to help me out by reading over mine? I would really appreciate a second opinion on it in regards to content, grammar etc. Doesn't have to be anything too in-depth, just a quick read through. Thanks!


You can PM me!

irongirl51

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby irongirl51 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 pm

JGPGH wrote:Hey guys, does anyone have any experience writing LOCI? If so, would anyone be willing to help me out by reading over mine? I would really appreciate a second opinion on it in regards to content, grammar etc. Doesn't have to be anything too in-depth, just a quick read through. Thanks!



+1

help

jenoh82223

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby jenoh82223 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 am

First time posting here.
I assumed that most people here are applying for T14. Though I wasn't apply for T14, no one around me understand my feeling, so I am just posting here to release some anxiety.

I applied only Penn State Law and got WL early March. If I can get in, I think I'll be marrying to my fiance, who is currently a Master but considering PhD in EE in PSU.

I really can't take it anymore, I got LSAT>75%/AA/worked in Big 4 accounting firm, compliance of international SITE/111 in TOEFL, I was pretty confidence and now I am WL for over two months. Is it because I am an international student? I didn't get a superior review but I thought "Hey, I wasn't applying for T14."

It is fine if I am rejected because I have already got into the top law school in my country, just that being away with who you love 10000+ km really sucks.

Thinking about sending another LOCI, I sent one right after I got WL, nothing new happened since then... :(

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am

jenoh82223 wrote:.


Don't be too overbearing, but I would be assertive. I think you should definitely state interest, as I think they fell short of their application goal. I just got this e-mail from them today (I haven't applied there, though).

[+] Spoiler
Good news! We have received so many inquiries from interested students since our application closed on March 31 that we have decided to reopen the application for fall 2017 admission to the Penn State Law J.D. Program. The new deadline to apply to Penn State Law in University Park is May 15.

What’s even better is that we still have generous scholarships and grants available, up to and including full tuition. All you have to do to be considered for such school-funded financial aid is apply by May 15.

Visit our website today to learn more about Penn State Law or to apply. Or contact us at admissions@pennstatelaw.psu.edu or 1-800-840-1122 if you have any questions about our program.

We look forward to reviewing your application!

Sincerely,

Amanda DiPolvere
Assistant Dean, Admissions & Financial Aid
Penn State Law
University Park, PA


While they say it's because so many more people want to apply that missed their deadline, I kind of assume that it's more because they did not receive the number of applications they wanted to (unless they do this every year), because they sent it to people who didn't apply or contact them previously. I'm only sharing this with you to increase the amount of information you have access to. Perhaps, a competing offer could make them quicker to render a decision - i.e. Penn State Law is my #1 choice, but I have good offers here and here that are worth consideration. I'd double check on this latter point though.

Also, glad to proofread any LOCIs.

User avatar
Nightwing

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Nightwing » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:02 pm

You guys know how LSAC notify schools if you've got multiple deposits down sometime in mid-May? I wonder if schools can also see if you have no deposits down anywhere.

User avatar
FEDRESRV

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby FEDRESRV » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

I joined the double digit waitlist camp today (10). I am still waiting on initial admission decisions from 4 additional T-13's.

tinyvessels

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:54 pm

FEDRESRV wrote:I joined the double digit waitlist camp today (10). I am still waiting on initial admission decisions from 4 additional T-13's.


Which four?

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby poptart123 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

From Cornell:

"Your application has been withdrawn. If your circumstances change, and Cornell Law School remains your first choice, keep in mind that every year we accept a few transfer students into our second-year class. The transfer decision is based primarily on superior academic performance during your first year at another American Bar Association accredited law school. Our transfer application will be available early-April, and our transfer deadline is August 1st."

Why would I withdraw if Cornell is my first choice? If I'm choosing to not remain on the WL why would I want to transfer?

Interesting because it seems like they are still trying to sell the school to me after I've decided not to go..

User avatar
FEDRESRV

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby FEDRESRV » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:57 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
FEDRESRV wrote:I joined the double digit waitlist camp today (10). I am still waiting on initial admission decisions from 4 additional T-13's.


Which four?


PM'd

tparty

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby tparty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Nightwing wrote:You guys know how LSAC notify schools if you've got multiple deposits down sometime in mid-May? I wonder if schools can also see if you have no deposits down anywhere.


I damn sure hope they do

jenoh82223

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby jenoh82223 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:47 am

34iplaw wrote:
jenoh82223 wrote:.


Don't be too overbearing, but I would be assertive. I think you should definitely state interest, as I think they fell short of their application goal. I just got this e-mail from them today (I haven't applied there, though).

[+] Spoiler
Good news! We have received so many inquiries from interested students since our application closed on March 31 that we have decided to reopen the application for fall 2017 admission to the Penn State Law J.D. Program. The new deadline to apply to Penn State Law in University Park is May 15.

What’s even better is that we still have generous scholarships and grants available, up to and including full tuition. All you have to do to be considered for such school-funded financial aid is apply by May 15.

Visit our website today to learn more about Penn State Law or to apply. Or contact us at admissions@pennstatelaw.psu.edu or 1-800-840-1122 if you have any questions about our program.

We look forward to reviewing your application!

Sincerely,

Amanda DiPolvere
Assistant Dean, Admissions & Financial Aid
Penn State Law
University Park, PA


While they say it's because so many more people want to apply that missed their deadline, I kind of assume that it's more because they did not receive the number of applications they wanted to (unless they do this every year), because they sent it to people who didn't apply or contact them previously. I'm only sharing this with you to increase the amount of information you have access to. Perhaps, a competing offer could make them quicker to render a decision - i.e. Penn State Law is my #1 choice, but I have good offers here and here that are worth consideration. I'd double check on this latter point though.

Also, glad to proofread any LOCIs.


Omg, thank you for sharing this with me!!! :shock:

Well, then I really don't understand what happened... :( I already stated that if I am accepted, I will definitely go there because of my fiance. Also shared that I am accepted by other schools.

Sent the second LOCI yesterday, but thanks for offering help! Maybe I am just not competitive enough. :cry:

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 pm

jenoh82223 wrote:.
Omg, thank you for sharing this with me!!! :shock:

Well, then I really don't understand what happened... :( I already stated that if I am accepted, I will definitely go there because of my fiance. Also shared that I am accepted by other schools.

Sent the second LOCI yesterday, but thanks for offering help! Maybe I am just not competitive enough. :cry:


Hey - no problem.
I wouldn't second guess yourself.
Best of luck.

User avatar
Nightwing

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Nightwing » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm now up to 11, Columbia reserve today. So:

Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt

No acceptances. I truly don't understand what I messed up so badly that I couldn't get one of these to bite. :|

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Leliana » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Nightwing wrote:I'm now up to 11, Columbia reserve today. So:

Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt

No acceptances. I truly don't understand what I messed up so badly that I couldn't get one of these to bite. :|


Sorry to hear. Have you had anyone here look over your PS/essays/resume as has been suggested...?

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby StopLawying » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Leliana wrote:
Nightwing wrote:I'm now up to 11, Columbia reserve today. So:

Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, Penn, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, Georgetown, UCLA, and Vanderbilt

No acceptances. I truly don't understand what I messed up so badly that I couldn't get one of these to bite. :|


Sorry to hear. Have you had anyone here look over your PS/essays/resume as has been suggested...?


If something was really off with his app, wouldn't they just ding him? I really believe it's bad luck/late application.
I keep saying it: there's a huge disadvantage in applying late, and IMO people don't underscore this enough.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: frozen_tundra9 and 8 guests