The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 420

gwillygecko

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby gwillygecko » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

The optional essays didn't help me at all with umich and duke but ymmv

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

TTT with full ride will not remove GPA stipulation, after I talked with them on the phone - about 1/5 conditional scholarships students lose theirs each semester.

Deadline to submit scholarship form is today - do I write to them and maintain what I said?

"Here is my acceptance form - however, I maintain that the removal of the GPA stipulation would help me weigh my options better?"

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:TTT with full ride will not remove GPA stipulation, after I talked with them on the phone - about 1/5 conditional scholarships students lose theirs each semester.

Deadline to submit scholarship form is today - do I write to them and maintain what I said?

"Here is my acceptance form - however, I maintain that the removal of the GPA stipulation would help me weigh my options better?"

"Help me weigh my options better" sounds like BS. I'd either call a spade a spade or say nothing at all.

Do you have other schools you're riding the waitlist for that you'd dump the TTT one for in a heartbeat?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 pm

gwillygecko wrote:The optional essays didn't help me at all with umich and duke but ymmv

I'm willing to bet the ones that matter the most are the actual "Why X" topics. I wrote a Why Duke but did two of the other topics instead of Why Michigan. Accepted to Duke, WL at Mich.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:46 pm

gwillygecko wrote:The optional essays didn't help me at all with umich and duke but ymmv

They didn't help me with anywhere I wrote them for either, yet.

gwillygecko

Bronze

Postby gwillygecko » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:11 pm

i meant that i wrote "why michigan" and "why duke" and "why uva"

lilitiger99

Bronze

Postby lilitiger99 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 pm

smashbash wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
lvlaw3 wrote:
nrc08 wrote:WL at Vandy. Anyone know some stats for them pulling people off the waitlist and/or scholarship chances if they do?

+180

I believe that they didnt take many if any at all off of the waitlist last cycle as they increased their class size by %24. I wouldnt count on it, although you never know.

Oh. Awesome. Got WLed there a couple of days ago also (after waiting for a decision for 4 months).

I was waitlisted then accepted last June. Reapplied this
Cycle and got in with $$. I think I only got 5-10k last year
Per year

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 pm

It's April soon. 4 months until law school starts... and I could either be in a T13 or outside of one begging for change for all I know. And I still won't know until like May at the earliest... and possibly longer than that with false hope dragging on until my cycle bitterly ends with an exasperated whimper.

Some down cycle this is. Why aren't schools responding as we would expect to the LSAT score drops? They can't just ignore their medians like that, can they? One... just one would be a miracle for my sanity. I'm gonna start making shrines to MS9 soon and ritualistically preparing for a rematch with the LSAT. I will create a temple out of the carcasses of its previously slain incarnations.

180 time

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 pm

Great. I only got into my safeties for this cycle. And I am probably waitlisted at every single T13. And I wrote why essays to almost every single school. So I guess the moral of the story is: do not apply in late Feb. Now I am thinking if I get into my top choices I am willing to pay almost sticker, but for everything else, I am leaning towards just reapplying next year to get $$.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:03 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:So I guess the moral of the story is: do not apply in late Feb

That appears to be the lesson I am learning as well.

tparty

Bronze

Postby tparty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Nightwing wrote:It's April soon. 4 months until law school starts... and I could either be in a T13 or outside of one begging for change for all I know. And I still won't know until like May at the earliest... and possibly longer than that with false hope dragging on until my cycle bitterly ends with an exasperated whimper.

Some down cycle this is. Why aren't schools responding as we would expect to the LSAT score drops? They can't just ignore their medians like that, can they? One... just one would be a miracle for my sanity. I'm gonna start making shrines to MS9 soon and ritualistically preparing for a rematch with the LSAT. I will create a temple out of the carcasses of its previously slain incarnations.

180 time

Right there with you... I'm either not going to school for another year or going to my dream school. Two very dramatically different scenarios. Sigh.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

it seems like everyone and their mother is on the preferred waiting list for GULC

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Stylnator wrote:it seems like everyone and their mother is on the preferred waiting list for GULC

Theyve been one of the stranger schools this cycle. They've denied people with large schollies from better schools, and they have a three tiered waitlist. I get that they have massive class sizes, yet their methods are peculiar.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory (New Poll!)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm

tparty wrote:I'm 3 for 3! Just got notification for William and Mary's waitlist. Only applied to 3 schools, WL at them all :D :lol: :roll:

I was also waitlisted here. Looking at LSN they seem to have waitlisted most of the population of Virginia, so I can't say I have the highest of hopes. On the other hand, a ton of people are withdrawing (and often choosing GMU or W&L when not UVA), presumably because of their ranking drop.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
tparty wrote:I'm 3 for 3! Just got notification for William and Mary's waitlist. Only applied to 3 schools, WL at them all :D :lol: :roll:

I was also waitlisted here. Looking at LSN they seem to have waitlisted most of the population of Virginia, so I can't say I have the highest of hopes. On the other hand, a ton of people are withdrawing (and often choosing GMU or W&L when not UVA), presumably because of their ranking drop.

This just reminded me I have to withdraw from there! Hopefully I can help someone out!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:

This just reminded me I have to withdraw from there! Hopefully I can help someone out!

You're doing god's work

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I just got the UVA waitlist. That was my last hope.

Up to: UVA, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, UChicago, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UCLA, and almost certainly an NYU waitlist at this point

rejected at Berkeley

no acceptances, none; zero; zip

My LSAT is one of those 170+ things that are down this cycle. I'm a splitter, but not a big one. I have no major application issues, no problems with the law, nothing that would bring my fitness to practice law under question.

I can't anymore. I just don't even.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:

You're doing god's work

You stole my avatar.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Nightwing wrote:I just got the UVA waitlist.

Same. Still waiting on NYU, Stanford, and Yale though. Not holding my breath on any of those, especially not Yale. Debating whether to accept the waitlist for UVA. Gonna think about it and do more research on the school before I decide.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:37 pm

88234 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:

You're doing god's work

You stole my avatar.

Oh damn, I did :lol: Maybe I need to find another Uncle Jack scene.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Made my own thread but it hasn't gotten any action so I'll try here..

Asking for a non-TLS friend.

What are some good ways to get off of a waitlist - anyone have some tactics they can share that have been successful? He is really limited in location due to his wife (she is in grad school, they have two year rotations - so it's either he goes now, or waits two years. Her program is really small and is only available at certain schools so he is waitlisted at the best school that also has a program nearby for her). Good LSAT score - so I'm not sure how much a retake would help - but his GPA is limiting him, in my opinion (3.4).

He has sent an updated resume, has shown continued interest, and is sending a new LOR. I've also recommended he take the June LSAT (he's at the point where I think even one or two points could help him).

Does anyone have any other ideas? Any tactics that they've seen people use in the past and be successful?

Thanks in advance and please do not quote!

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Made my own thread but it hasn't gotten any action so I'll try here..

Asking for a non-TLS friend.

What are some good ways to get off of a waitlist - anyone have some tactics they can share that have been successful? He is really limited in location due to his wife (she is in grad school, they have two year rotations - so it's either he goes now, or waits two years. Her program is really small and is only available at certain schools so he is waitlisted at the best school that also has a program nearby for her). Good LSAT score - so I'm not sure how much a retake would help - but his GPA is limiting him, in my opinion (3.4).

He has sent an updated resume, has shown continued interest, and is sending a new LOR. I've also recommended he take the June LSAT (he's at the point where I think even one or two points could help him).

Does anyone have any other ideas? Any tactics that they've seen people use in the past and be successful?

Thanks in advance and please do not quote!

It sounds like your friend is doing everything right. Has he visited the law school - if he can visit and set up an appointment with an admissions person, that would help put a face to the file, and he can ask if there is anything specifically they want him to do.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TPhil

New

Postby TPhil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:34 pm

When do most schools start putting people on the waitlist? Are law school waitlists ranked?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:41 pm

TPhil wrote:When do most schools start putting people on the waitlist? Are law school waitlists ranked?

1. Putting people on the waitlist? They've started doing that a long time ago haha
2. Depends on the school. Most schools, no. Some schools (like Duke/Gulc) have Priority Waitlists/Regular Waitlist. I think Stanford has like a waitlist tier system? (I feel like I heard something like that a couple of cycles ago, but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?