The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 420

guynourmin

Gold

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory (New Poll!)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 pm

JGPGH wrote:When sending in LOCI's to multiple schools that you would definitely attend if admitted, is it a big no-no to tell all of them that if offered a spot off of the waitlist that you would definitely choose to attend?

I don't think you'd be doing anything wrong here. You would just need to pretty quickly update the schools if you get in some where, right?

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:07 pm

guybourdin wrote:
JGPGH wrote:When sending in LOCI's to multiple schools that you would definitely attend if admitted, is it a big no-no to tell all of them that if offered a spot off of the waitlist that you would definitely choose to attend?

I don't think you'd be doing anything wrong here. You would just need to pretty quickly update the schools if you get in some where, right?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm not trying to play them against each other in some malicious way, just trying to give myself the best chance of getting off the WL

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

JGPGH wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm not trying to play them against each other in some malicious way, just trying to give myself the best chance of getting off the WL

Definitely, and if you tell 3 schools you'll definitely go if they accept you, then one accepts you and you immediately withdraw the other two you haven't mislead anyone- they were just too slow and missed out on you!

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:22 pm

guybourdin wrote:
JGPGH wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Definitely, and if you tell 3 schools you'll definitely go if they accept you, then one accepts you and you immediately withdraw the other two you haven't mislead anyone- they were just too slow and missed out on you!

Haha exactly!!

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

alhookem2020 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers?

PM'd

amta wrote:
is there an issue with your application or C&F?

I'm not sure what constitutes an issue, but I can't think of anything serious.

floatie wrote:That blows, Nightwing. As much as it sucks to have to consider this, do you have time to put in some safety apps (maybe a regional powerhouse or something)? Quite a few non-shitty schools have deadlines in April...

I did safety apps. Those were the non-T13 I got waitlisted at. Heck, before this cycle and the apparent changes in their admissions priorities, Cornell would have been a safety for my numbers (yet are also one of my top choices). :/

Anyway, I appreciate the advice, but I feel like my numbers (LSAT), aspirations, and non-aversion to debt say that I simply don't belong at a non-T13 school. I want federal clerkships, corporate law (big law + in-house), and/or idealistically maybe even politics some day and I certainly don't want to throw away my opportunity to attend the best schools in the country. I would never be happy with myself if I didn't live up to some semblance of my potential. It's what I worked so hard for (my precious 170+ LSAT score). Plenty of people with my stats or even lower are in the T13 and I really want to be one of them. It's been what I wanted for years.

It's just... even if I somehow make plans for next year while putting off law school (and those plans are a big "???") and send out applications at the very beginning of the next cycle, I still don't know what I did wrong and need to correct from this cycle and I have a feeling adcoms simply won't tell me.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I think you should hire MS9 or another consulting service, reapply next cycle and hopefully reap better results. MS9 and the industry might be able to spot some kind of fatal flaw that's sinking you.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:I think you should hire MS9 or another consulting service, reapply next cycle and hopefully reap better results. MS9 and the industry might be able to spot some kind of fatal flaw that's sinking you.

I agree. A consultant would likely be your best bet. Something is wrong that is causing you to underperform your apps. AdComs are definitely not going to tell you.

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:34 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:I think you should hire MS9 or another consulting service, reapply next cycle and hopefully reap better results. MS9 and the industry might be able to spot some kind of fatal flaw that's sinking you.

I agree. A consultant would likely be your best bet. Something is wrong that is causing you to underperform your apps. AdComs are definitely not going to tell you.

I just shot MS9 an email today! I'm in the same boat and I think it's a good idea.

smashbash

Bronze

Postby smashbash » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 am

Waitlisted at 8 schools. Fking. 8.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

smashbash wrote:Waitlisted at 8 schools. Fking. 8.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you gotten into any you would go to, or are you going to apply next cycle?

I hope you get good news from here on out.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Nightwing wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers?

PM'd

amta wrote:
is there an issue with your application or C&F?

I'm not sure what constitutes an issue, but I can't think of anything serious.

floatie wrote:That blows, Nightwing. As much as it sucks to have to consider this, do you have time to put in some safety apps (maybe a regional powerhouse or something)? Quite a few non-shitty schools have deadlines in April...

I did safety apps. Those were the non-T13 I got waitlisted at. Heck, before this cycle and the apparent changes in their admissions priorities, Cornell would have been a safety for my numbers (yet are also one of my top choices). :/

Anyway, I appreciate the advice, but I feel like my numbers (LSAT), aspirations, and non-aversion to debt say that I simply don't belong at a non-T13 school. I want federal clerkships, corporate law (big law + in-house), and/or idealistically maybe even politics some day and I certainly don't want to throw away my opportunity to attend the best schools in the country. I would never be happy with myself if I didn't live up to some semblance of my potential. It's what I worked so hard for (my precious 170+ LSAT score). Plenty of people with my stats or even lower are in the T13 and I really want to be one of them. It's been what I wanted for years.

It's just... even if I somehow make plans for next year while putting off law school (and those plans are a big "???") and send out applications at the very beginning of the next cycle, I still don't know what I did wrong and need to correct from this cycle and I have a feeling adcoms simply won't tell me.

I'm really sorry about your situation. What are your plans if law school doesn't happen this year? Also, have you thought about maybe it was something in your LORs that dinged you?

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm

tinyvessels wrote:I'm really sorry about your situation. What are your plans if law school doesn't happen this year? Also, have you thought about maybe it was something in your LORs that dinged you?

I didn't have anything concrete planned other than doing whatever I can to strengthen my application. I'd look for internships or something of that nature, hire a consultant, apply ASAP next cycle, and maybe even take the LSAT again. It won't be a fun year if that happens... living at home again, earning no guaranteed income (and no way to put off my existing loans). Upset and anxious as I am, I'm somewhat hopeful about getting in off a waitlist though. High LSAT scoring applicants are down this cycle and, well, T13s really depend on those. I don't imagine anything on my application was so horrendously bad that none of them will offer me something this summer once all the stronger applicants who got acceptances across the board inevitably drop most of them.

I did think about my LORs being a weak link, but there's no way for me to know of course. No way for a consultant to know either... I just have to trust that my LOR writers actually liked me.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Nightwing wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:I'm really sorry about your situation. What are your plans if law school doesn't happen this year? Also, have you thought about maybe it was something in your LORs that dinged you?

I didn't have anything concrete planned other than doing whatever I can to strengthen my application. I'd look for internships or something of that nature, hire a consultant, apply ASAP next cycle, and maybe even take the LSAT again. It won't be a fun year if that happens... living at home again, earning no guaranteed income (and no way to put off my existing loans). Upset and anxious as I am, I'm somewhat hopeful about getting in off a waitlist though. High LSAT scoring applicants are down this cycle and, well, T13s really depend on those. I don't imagine anything on my application was so horrendously bad that none of them will offer me something this summer once all the stronger applicants who got acceptances across the board inevitably drop most of them.

I did think about my LORs being a weak link, but there's no way for me to know of course. No way for a consultant to know either... I just have to trust that my LOR writers actually liked me.

FWIW, splitters are often the first to get pulled off WLs after deposit deadlines, when schools calculate their enrolled medians and see they're a few students short of their desired median LSAT, especially in a down year like this one. This cycle is far from over! :)

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Nightwing wrote:

Yeah, it sucks not being able to read them and just putting in blind trust that a professor will not screw you over. Maybe you should look into getting a job, at least part time - to start paying off ug loans and also to have some reprieve from thinking about law school constantly. I graduated in 2015 and only planned on taking one gap year, but ended up sitting out a cycle and applying this cycle instead for various reasons. I think it was the best decision to make but it fucking sucked having to put off something I had been planning for, so I understand what it feels like to a certain extant.

I really think you'll get into a few of these schools from your waitlists. People are making their decisions now and putting down deposits, so hopefully spaces are opening up.

Fee free to PM me if you need to talk to someone or to vent.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:FWIW, splitters are often the first to get pulled off WLs after deposit deadlines, when schools calculate their enrolled medians and see they're a few students short of their desired median LSAT, especially in a down year like this one. This cycle is far from over! :)

It means plenty to me, thank you. My best hopes are in NYU and Duke, I think. Both generally love my numbers, NYU take a lot off of their waitlist, and Duke put me on their priority reserve. And although I have preferences, every T13 is an outstanding school I would be happy to go to if any decided to throw me a bone. Fingers crossed.

tinyvessels wrote:Yeah, it sucks not being able to read them and just putting in blind trust that a professor will not screw you over. Maybe you should look into getting a job, at least part time - to start paying off ug loans and also to have some reprieve from thinking about law school constantly. I graduated in 2015 and only planned on taking one gap year, but ended up sitting out a cycle and applying this cycle instead for various reasons. I think it was the best decision to make but it fucking sucked having to put off something I had been planning for, so I understand what it feels like to a certain extant.

I really think you'll get into a few of these schools from your waitlists. People are making their decisions now and putting down deposits, so hopefully spaces are opening up.

Fee free to PM me if you need to talk to someone or to vent.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 am

same. it sucks.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 am

TudoBem wrote:

same. it sucks.

Been WL-ed at four places, but it looks like NYU is also a WL/ding, since I am not among the last batch of acceptances. And still waiting to hear back from Northwestern, Texas, UVA (no interview, so probably WL/ding), Michigan, Chicago and Columbia. I am a little worried that I am getting into no schools for this cycle. I really shot myself in the foot by applying in mid-to-late Feb.

mathis1490

Bronze

Postby mathis1490 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 am

TudoBem wrote:

same. it sucks.

Hang in there. I wasn't accepted to any schools in the T14, and was waitlisted at 8. Ended up getting into 3 T10 schools.

Stay vigilant emailing admissions and visiting campuses.

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Found out I'm waitlisted at Harvard today. What's the process like for showing continued interest, etc? I've heard of people riding out a WL until the end of finals first semester of law school, but I have literally no idea what that means. In short, I'm lost- help!

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm

mathis1490 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

same. it sucks.

Hang in there. I wasn't accepted to any schools in the T14, and was waitlisted at 8. Ended up getting into 3 T10 schools.

Stay vigilant emailing admissions and visiting campuses.

May I PM you about the process?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Nightwing wrote:
tinyvessels wrote: I just have to trust that my LOR writers actually liked me.

This right here is worrying as hell.

I would never, EVER, EVER ( I don't want to sound preachy but yeah), leave my fate to professors/faculty I wasn't completely sure liked me.

Faculty are an intelligent bunch - trust me when I state that they often say what they're trying to say without saying it. I think you're going to get in somewhere - but I wish this site really stressed how important recommendations really are.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Nightwing wrote:

I would never, EVER, EVER ( I don't want to sound preachy but yeah), leave my fate to professors/faculty I wasn't completely sure liked me.

Faculty are an intelligent bunch - trust me when I state that they often say what they're trying to say without saying it. I think you're going to get in somewhere - but I wish this site really stressed how important recommendations really are.

Very true, people need to make sure they go to someone willing to write a good rec. I never considered professors screwing students over to be a thing before. I always assumed if a professor didn't like you/know they didn't have nice things to say they would just be upfront with telling you no, or at least lie and say they don't have time to write one....until I heard of one professor from my undergrad. He would accept peoples requests for recommendations, and knowingly put time and effort into writing bad ones if he didn't like a student. Suffice it to say, I made sure to steer clear lol.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
Nightwing wrote:

Very true, people need to make sure they go to someone willing to write a good rec. I never considered professors screwing students over to be a thing before. I always assumed if a professor didn't like you/know they didn't have nice things to say they would just be upfront with telling you no, or at least lie and say they don't have time to write one....until I heard of one professor from my undergrad. He would accept peoples requests for recommendations, and knowingly put time and effort into writing bad ones if he didn't like a student. Suffice it to say, I made sure to steer clear lol.

Yeah - I know of a professor like that as well.

I also had a professor tell me hew wouldn't write me an LOR until a had a 90% LSAT or higher - so that motivated me a bit too.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Postby melmelcoolj » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
Nightwing wrote:

Yeah - I know of a professor like that as well.

I also had a professor tell me hew wouldn't write me an LOR until a had a 90% LSAT or higher - so that motivated me a bit too.

Now I am even more worried that my recommenders secretly hated me. Even though I cannot fathom why, but apparently, that might have caused me to get all the waitlists. I think I am just paranoid.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Now I am even more worried that my recommenders secretly hated me. Even though I cannot fathom why, but apparently, that might have caused me to get all the waitlists. I think I am just paranoid.

I wouldn't worry about that. I would like to think those kind of professors are the exception not the rule. Have you heard back from all the schools yet? I hope you get an acceptance or two, if not, I'm sure you'll get in off a waitlist. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?