The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 420

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:55 pm

At the end of this cycle, I predict a waitlist total of 5 schools, 3 of which are already confirmed.
NYU
Penn
Columbia
Chicago
Harvard

I feel like this is common for reverse splitters. My chances are best at NYU in this case, right?
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 pm

JC2017 wrote:I have a theory about all the wait listing of strong candidates we've been seeing lately. If I recall correctly, there was an uptick of low 170s scores, which likely led those folks to apply to most or all of the T14 schools to use for scholarship leverage even if they don't intend to go to a given school. So, people like myself in the high 160s are at a disadvantage until those other folks decide on a T14 and withdraw from the others. So maybe, just maybe (please god let me be right) there will be a higher number of people accepted off of wait lists than normal, once all the dust settles in the T14 land.

I'm going to choose to believe this

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:56 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:Did anyone here register for the June LSAT in hopes that they can get off a waitlist in the summer with an improved score? I am thinking of doing that if I don't get into my top choice schools in the next few weeks.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm

When and how often are you guys sending LOCIs? If you send multiple times, do you change it up each time? I was thinking about waiting until late March/early April to send mine after being wait listed last week.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

JC2017 wrote:When and how often are you guys sending LOCIs? If you send multiple times, do you change it up each time? I was thinking about waiting until late March/early April to send mine after being wait listed last week.

I've heard once a month is good. But honestly I'm not sure what to say that's new with each one. Im consciously thinking about spacing out any information I can give that wasn't on my app originally.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
JC2017 wrote:When and how often are you guys sending LOCIs? If you send multiple times, do you change it up each time? I was thinking about waiting until late March/early April to send mine after being wait listed last week.

I've heard once a month is good. But honestly I'm not sure what to say that's new with each one. Im consciously thinking about spacing out any information I can give that wasn't on my app originally.

+1 on once a month, and possibly more frequently after the first seat deposit deadline. When in doubt, just call the school and ask how often they'd like or would accept updates.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

+1 on once a month, and possibly more frequently after the first seat deposit deadline. When in doubt, just call the school and ask how often they'd like or would accept updates.

Cool, thanks for the once a month recommendation. Still not sure what to say each time though..."Hi Sir Dean, since we last spoke I planted some lettuce in my garden and saw the new X-Men movie. Oh, and work still sucks, hence why I really want to go to your school and become a lawyer. How was your month?"

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 pm

It's March. I'm just going to assume I'm unofficially on literally every school I applied to's waitlist at this point because none of them seem even remotely interested in getting back to me except Duke, Cornell, and UCLA who all actually waitlisted me (or should I call it "reserve"?). My spring semester shall now be dedicated to the art of LOCIs... about how I spent the spring semester writing LOCIs I guess?

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 pm

JC2017 wrote:
floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Cool, thanks for the once a month recommendation. Still not sure what to say each time though..."Hi Sir Dean, since we last spoke I planted some lettuce in my garden and saw the new X-Men movie. Oh, and work still sucks, hence why I really want to go to your school and become a lawyer. How was your month?"

Say something along the lines of "I'd like to reaffirm my interest in X school." Summarize what you've been up to in the last month [substantive stuff], and (if its true) state that you'd attend if accepted.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:58 pm

floatie wrote:
JC2017 wrote:
floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Say something along the lines of "I'd like to reaffirm my interest in X school." Summarize what you've been up to in the last month [substantive stuff], and (if its true) state that you'd attend if accepted.

Makes sense. Thanks! Please ignore my sarcasm earlier.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:59 pm

JC2017 wrote:
floatie wrote:
JC2017 wrote:
floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Makes sense. Thanks! Please ignore my sarcasm earlier.

Was that sarcasm? Crap, I thought the new X-Men movie was pretty substantive stuff.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Postby Litt1tUp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Do we submit fafsa even when we are waitlisted? Or do you hold off on that until you're admitted ? I think today is the deadline, please correct me if I am wrong.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:Do we submit fafsa even when we are waitlisted? Or do you hold off on that until you're admitted ? I think today is the deadline, please correct me if I am wrong.

A deadline from FASFA itself, or from an individual school?

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Postby Litt1tUp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:Do we submit fafsa even when we are waitlisted? Or do you hold off on that until you're admitted ? I think today is the deadline, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry I noticed that today's deadline is just for California Stare Aid, but still asking is it improper to submit fafsa without being admitted? And what happens if you are admitted after a deadline?

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Sorry I noticed that today's deadline is just for California Stare Aid, but still asking is it improper to submit fafsa without being admitted? And what happens if you are admitted after a deadline?

I hope it's not improper to submit before being accepted. I certainly did. As far as the second question, you can submit updates to your FSAFA into September. So I guess you would have to just submit earlier then update to add the school to your list.

ray.bee

Bronze

Postby ray.bee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Yes! Submit even if you are WLed! You can't get aid if you get off the WL if you don't.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 pm

UCLA, Northwestern, Cornell, and Duke
Other than Cornell does anyone know if these schools move people off their WL before the general "April re-evaluation" cycle begins

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 am

Any tri-state area/bridge&tunnel jersey tra$h like me planning to wait out the summer for Columbia and NYU? Location makes it easy for me to wait until the last possible minute but I also notice from last year's threads that there was really no additional action at NYU after mid-July and as for Columbia, nothing after the first week of July.

Setting the end of July as my absolute final deadline. How about you guys?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:38 am

mm2368 wrote:Any tri-state area/bridge&tunnel jersey tra$h like me planning to wait out the summer for Columbia and NYU? Location makes it easy for me to wait until the last possible minute but I also notice from last year's threads that there was really no additional action at NYU after mid-July and as for Columbia, nothing after the first week of July.

U no ill b there

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 am

Keilz wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Any tri-state area/bridge&tunnel jersey tra$h like me planning to wait out the summer for Columbia and NYU? Location makes it easy for me to wait until the last possible minute but I also notice from last year's threads that there was really no additional action at NYU after mid-July and as for Columbia, nothing after the first week of July.

U no ill b there

I'm feeling the lure of $$$ from Fordham more and more the longer I wait on CLS/NYU, but I'm definitely still going thru with the process to hopefully give myself a hard decision come July. PM me if you're interested in drowning our sorrows together sometime in the next few months.

nicola27

New

Postby nicola27 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 am

I'm waitlisted at five schools, waiting to hear from two more, and admitted at one. I want to withdraw from the schools that I wouldn't pick over the one I'm admitted at (for reasons like location, $$, etc.) -- when is the best time to do that? Or is now as good as ever? :?

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 am

nicola27 wrote:I'm waitlisted at five schools, waiting to hear from two more, and admitted at one. I want to withdraw from the schools that I wouldn't pick over the one I'm admitted at (for reasons like location, $$, etc.) -- when is the best time to do that? Or is now as good as ever? :?

You could send them a nice email now, as that would free up spots for others who might be waiting.

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Postby thatblondegirl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Adding Michigan to my list

AtSomePointItMatters

New

Postby AtSomePointItMatters » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Currently on:

Penn (a lovely addition today)
Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown

Waiting on NYU and Cornell. Who knows what they may bring!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?