The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!]

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
9%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
10%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 420

proteinshake

Gold

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Postby proteinshake » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 pm

so now I have:

Penn
Northwestern
Michigan (two years in a row)
Cornell (withdrew)

am I gonna get into any schools besides Duke and Georgetown :?: :?: :?:

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 pm

proteinshake wrote:so now I have:

Penn
Northwestern
Cornell (withdrew)

Sorry Protein, really surprised, especially with your numbers. Maybe because you're a reapplicant?

Just got waitlisted to Penn, and it really hurts since I put a lot of effort into my app + it was my top choice. Getting accepted to Michigan and Cornell though helps alleviate some of the anxiety. Wasn't Duke one of your top choices anyway? No matter what you'll have good options at the end of the day.

This cycle is super weird.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm

StopLawying wrote:
proteinshake wrote:so now I have:

Penn
Northwestern
Cornell (withdrew)

Sorry Protein, really surprised, especially with your numbers. Maybe because you're a reapplicant?

Just got waitlisted to Penn, and it really hurts since I put a lot of effort into my app + it was my top choice. Getting accepted to Michigan and Cornell though helps alleviate some of the anxiety. Wasn't Duke one of your top choices anyway? No matter what you'll have good options at the end of the day.

This cycle is super weird.

yeah, Duke is one of my tops so the Penn WL didn't really sting. but yeah, we'll both have great options. and tbh, I probably would have had to pay close to sticker at Penn anyway.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Checking in with my first WL of the cycle from Penn. It's alright though, I'm happy with my T14 options so far.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Currently WL at Duke and as of today, Penn. Wasn't so concerned about Duke, because I'd rather attend Georgetown, and that prospect is still looking good even though I haven't received an acceptance yet. However Penn's stung a little more because it's higher up in my personal ranking and because being my 2nd wait list, and being at both of their medians, my top choices seem even more unlikely. Kinda expected this though. I'm a splitter, and not even a strong one, so slipping in the T14 at all will be fortunate.

Radio silence from most schools and wait lists seems like a slow death. Guess I shouldn't complain too much though, since I only put in my apps Jan 3rd.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm

chargers21 wrote:That Mich WL sucks. Your numbers would have predicted some serious negotiating cash

I'm just hoping I get enough from Duke to where that wouldn't have mattered

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 am

I have a theory about all the wait listing of strong candidates we've been seeing lately. If I recall correctly, there was an uptick of low 170s scores, which likely led those folks to apply to most or all of the T14 schools to use for scholarship leverage even if they don't intend to go to a given school. So, people like myself in the high 160s are at a disadvantage until those other folks decide on a T14 and withdraw from the others. So maybe, just maybe (please god let me be right) there will be a higher number of people accepted off of wait lists than normal, once all the dust settles in the T14 land.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I recently got on the Preferred WL at Georgetown.

Is there truly any difference between the Regular WL and the Preferred WL??

Thanks!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

onecallthats all wrote:I recently got on the Preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks!

Yes, if there's space after the deposit deadlines, they'll start looking at the PWL first.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:I recently got on the Preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks!

Yes, if there's space after the deposit deadlines, they'll start looking at the PWL first.

Thank you SO much for your response. Aside from a monthly LOCI, what else can I do to increase my chances??

Thank you!

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 am

Did anyone here register for the June LSAT in hopes that they can get off a waitlist in the summer with an improved score? I am thinking of doing that if I don't get into my top choice schools in the next few weeks.

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am

MrJD2020 wrote:Did anyone here register for the June LSAT in hopes that they can get off a waitlist in the summer with an improved score? I am thinking of doing that if I don't get into my top choice schools in the next few weeks.

I was told by HLS last cycle they would consider it if I did that (I didn't, so can't verify if it would have made a difference) so I do know some schools look at it

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 am

MrJD2020 wrote:Did anyone here register for the June LSAT in hopes that they can get off a waitlist in the summer with an improved score? I am thinking of doing that if I don't get into my top choice schools in the next few weeks.

It can be done, and has been in the past. Do note that it could be a long shot, as you won't get your scores back until July (many waitlist offers are made in May/June)

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 am

floatie wrote:

It can be done, and has been in the past. Do note that it could be a long shot, as you won't get your scores back until July (many waitlist offers are made in May/June)

Also note that a higher june score could mean more money wherever you deposit at and that with a significant score bump you could withdraw and reapply next cycle

tparty

Bronze

Postby tparty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Was already waitlisted at GW as of January 10, which I was very happy about considering my LSAT score is below their 25%. Found out I got waitlisted at American yesterday, which I'm pretty shook about... thought I'd get accepted and now I'm freaking out.

I'm binding at GW and it's my dream - already sent them an updated transcript, an addendum, a new LOR, and a LOCI. I also have a visit scheduled for March 13.

Seeing you guys post about June LSAT is making me a little nervous... I'm a pitiful test taker and I really don't want to have to take it again but now I'm wondering if that's my only way off the list? I read that at this point, your LSAT/GPA has already been taken into account and all that matters now is if you fit their demographic need when they start fishing into their waitlist pool. Any ideas? Idk if it also helps that I'm not asking for any financial aid. Meh...

I should probably add, my GPA is higher than both of their 75%.

lawlzschool

Bronze

Postby lawlzschool » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello Beautiful Waitlisted Humans,

I searched through the thread for info, but it's not super robust for my question so here it goes: how do we go about scheduling visits at schools we're waitlisted? I'm going to be in Chicago for UChi's ASW and since I'm on the NU WL figured I would stop in there (and same for USC's ASW with UCLA). Do I just email admissions and be like yo! and take kind of a general tour etc. or is there a more formal way to signal like, yea, I'm still very interested in your school and am visiting because I want to genuinely go there?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 pm

tparty wrote:I read that at this point, your LSAT/GPA has already been taken into account and all that matters now is if you fit their demographic need when they start fishing into their waitlist pool. Any ideas? Idk if it also helps that I'm not asking for any financial aid. Meh...

I should probably add, my GPA is higher than both of their 75%.

Depends on what they need to fill out their class after the deposit deadlines. If they need several more high LSATs or high GPAs to pull their medians up, that's what they'll look for. If their medians are comfortably at their targets, then maybe a couple below-median WLers with interesting softs will get the call.

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Postby kaptainkeepa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Checking in for UCLA.....heyyyyyyyy!

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:02 pm

lawlzschool wrote:Hello Beautiful Waitlisted Humans,

I searched through the thread for info, but it's not super robust for my question so here it goes: how do we go about scheduling visits at schools we're waitlisted? I'm going to be in Chicago for UChi's ASW and since I'm on the NU WL figured I would stop in there (and same for USC's ASW with UCLA). Do I just email admissions and be like yo! and take kind of a general tour etc. or is there a more formal way to signal like, yea, I'm still very interested in your school and am visiting because I want to genuinely go there?

Would you attend NU instead of U Chicago?

lawlzschool

Bronze

Postby lawlzschool » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:10 pm

TudoBem wrote:

Would you attend NU instead of U Chicago?

I don't know. I've never been to either. I'm not even sure I would attend UChicago over USC (socal native, intend to practice in socal)--that's another aim of my visits, to figure this ish out :P

Also would be highly $ dependent

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd call the school and ask what their process is for accommodating visits from WL'ed candidates. Unless the school accepts walk-in visits (like UVA, for example) I wouldn't just stop by unannounced. I would also recommend not visiting a school during their ASW, as the admissions team will be super busy wooing their admitted students. I don't remember which schools off the top of my head but not all schools will allow interviews or appointments with admissions people for WL'ed candidates. If that's the case with any of the schools you're looking for, I'd ask about a self-guided tour so you can at least say in your LOCI that you visited.

tparty

Bronze

Postby tparty » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm

I looked up their visiting dates online, picked one that worked for me, and e-mailed admission asking to be scheduled. Not sure if that's how it works for every school, but they immediately responded confirming my visit time/day.

pipipipi

Bronze

Postby pipipipi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Has anyone got off the waitlist from any schools so far?
I know they start re-evaluaton around April in general but just curious.
I am also asking because Michigan summer program starts on May 30 and that's way before many WL render results....

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?