University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Torres1893
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17 am

If anyone wants to meet up at lunch I'm wearing a green and white checkered button up and dark khaki pants.

User avatar
Torres1893
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Overall I think the ASD was ok. It wasn't as fun as the one I went to earlier this month at a different school, but it was informative. I really liked hearing about the CDO. It made me feel like if I attend UH I won't have that much of a problem finding a job, since they are always available for you.

I think the school should have had admission fellows you were assigned to beforehand that way it would have been easier to break the ice and meet more admitted students. A reception at the end like they did at Indiana would have been very nice. It would have given a chance for admitted students to speak to professors or current students if they didn't talk during lunch and some alcohol would have loosened people up.

The information fair at the end was terrible. Some organizations didn't show up and just about everyone left instead of going to the tables.

Coming in to the ASD I already knew what to expect for the outside aesthetics of the building, which aren't pretty, but the inside was alright. I like the whole section rooms called carrels(?) to have a social area dedicated for your section or whatever.

I didn't realize there were a couple other people wearing the same shirt/pants combo as me so if one of y'all went up to someone and thought it was me sorry lol.

elcamino4
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby elcamino4 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Torres1893 wrote:If anyone wants to meet up at lunch I'm wearing a green and white checkered button up and dark khaki pants.


didn't see this until too late

cwl2017
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cwl2017 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Torres1893 wrote:Overall I think the ASD was ok. It wasn't as fun as the one I went to earlier this month at a different school, but it was informative. I really liked hearing about the CDO. It made me feel like if I attend UH I won't have that much of a problem finding a job, since they are always available for you.

I think the school should have had admission fellows you were assigned to beforehand that way it would have been easier to break the ice and meet more admitted students. A reception at the end like they did at Indiana would have been very nice. It would have given a chance for admitted students to speak to professors or current students if they didn't talk during lunch and some alcohol would have loosened people up.

The information fair at the end was terrible. Some organizations didn't show up and just about everyone left instead of going to the tables.

Coming in to the ASD I already knew what to expect for the outside aesthetics of the building, which aren't pretty, but the inside was alright. I like the whole section rooms called carrels(?) to have a social area dedicated for your section or whatever.

I didn't realize there were a couple other people wearing the same shirt/pants combo as me so if one of y'all went up to someone and thought it was me sorry lol.


I felt it was too information centered and not enough social aspect at the actual event. I got nothing out of the alumni coming and speaking to us, it was really just a pep talk, and I felt that time could have been better served with something more social. The Q&A part with current students, there was just too many! Each student had to comment on every little thing, I was very bored, very quickly of them talking, and their responses really weren't all that informative. I wish more clubs were at the information fair, and not just the journals, because it was difficult to talk to them because I haven't studied the law yet.

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

You'll get emails from all of the orgs about their lunches, so its nbd that they werent there. The carrels often act as a social space but there are plenty of students who actually use it as their study space so try to be respectful of that outside of the time between classes. Also, they are almost finished building two brand new apartment complexes very close to campus. Do not underestimate the convenience of being able to walk or bike to school. It also saves money because you dont have to pay for a pass. Catching an uber to midtown once a week or so may not be necessarily worth sitting in your car for an hour to get to and from campus every day.

Source: I'm a 2L

User avatar
Torres1893
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:You'll get emails from all of the orgs about their lunches, so its nbd that they werent there. The carrels often act as a social space but there are plenty of students who actually use it as their study space so try to be respectful of that outside of the time between classes. Also, they are almost finished building two brand new apartment complexes very close to campus. Do not underestimate the convenience of being able to walk or bike to school. It also saves money because you dont have to pay for a pass. Catching an uber to midtown once a week or so may not be necessarily worth sitting in your car for an hour to get to and from campus every day.

Source: I'm a 2L


Hey I think I read that you chose to attend UH over UT. I'm in the same position now.

Do you ever have any serious regrets in choosing to go to UH? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot employment wise if I go to UH rather than UT.

What did some of your class do for 1l summer or have planned for 2l summer?

User avatar
viz-luv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby viz-luv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:


Hey I think I read that you chose to attend UH over UT. I'm in the same position now.

Do you ever have any serious regrets in choosing to go to UH? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot employment wise if I go to UH rather than UT.

What did some of your class do for 1l summer or have planned for 2l summer?


Not itfr but I (recent grad) chose uh over bc of debt and family concerns but I always wanted midlaw/boutique or bust (which is probably a worse idea for employment but I had the experience to back it up). I would say your career goals really matter because biglaw or bust is not a good idea here. itfr will know if oci is looking better or worse than last year and how the 2ls placed as far as offers though. Past years are closer to 15% biglaw and that's a little misleading because we do get older students who can use past work experience to get specific practice groups. Top 10% is really the safer range; our year had many top 20% striking out. Not as bad as the two years before, but markets can't be predicted this far ahead. If you are ok with smaller firms our year actually is doing really well at becoming lawyers. The year before us landed a bunch more offers after bar results (our year did too, lots of da and Gov offers) and are doing well. Personal anecdata - love my unicorn job, happy with uh (parking sucks and I had a garage pass as a commuter), cdo worked very hard and they do not forget about graduates.

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:You'll get emails from all of the orgs about their lunches, so its nbd that they werent there. The carrels often act as a social space but there are plenty of students who actually use it as their study space so try to be respectful of that outside of the time between classes. Also, they are almost finished building two brand new apartment complexes very close to campus. Do not underestimate the convenience of being able to walk or bike to school. It also saves money because you dont have to pay for a pass. Catching an uber to midtown once a week or so may not be necessarily worth sitting in your car for an hour to get to and from campus every day.

Source: I'm a 2L


Hey I think I read that you chose to attend UH over UT. I'm in the same position now.

Do you ever have any serious regrets in choosing to go to UH? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot employment wise if I go to UH rather than UT.

What did some of your class do for 1l summer or have planned for 2l summer?

No regrets. I'm in the Top 10% here and I'm splitting my summer with 2 biglaw firms. I have a unique background and corresponding end-goal and the CDO at UT made it clear her political leanings would have gotten in the way of being a good resource for me. The atmosphere is not competitive here, most of the profs are pretty great, CDO is very helpful if you use them, and I've been able to make a lot of connections that will help with my career that I wouldn't have been able to make at UT.

User avatar
Torres1893
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:46 pm

viz-luv wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:


Hey I think I read that you chose to attend UH over UT. I'm in the same position now.

Do you ever have any serious regrets in choosing to go to UH? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot employment wise if I go to UH rather than UT.

What did some of your class do for 1l summer or have planned for 2l summer?


Not itfr but I (recent grad) chose uh over bc of debt and family concerns but I always wanted midlaw/boutique or bust (which is probably a worse idea for employment but I had the experience to back it up). I would say your career goals really matter because biglaw or bust is not a good idea here. itfr will know if oci is looking better or worse than last year and how the 2ls placed as far as offers though. Past years are closer to 15% biglaw and that's a little misleading because we do get older students who can use past work experience to get specific practice groups. Top 10% is really the safer range; our year had many top 20% striking out. Not as bad as the two years before, but markets can't be predicted this far ahead. If you are ok with smaller firms our year actually is doing really well at becoming lawyers. The year before us landed a bunch more offers after bar results (our year did too, lots of da and Gov offers) and are doing well. Personal anecdata - love my unicorn job, happy with uh (parking sucks and I had a garage pass as a commuter), cdo worked very hard and they do not forget about graduates.


I want a DA or gov job. That has been my goal since high school. I don't even care about starting salary that much now since my debt will be a lot lower at UH and my salary will (hopefully) go up over the years. do you happen to know the class rank of the people who got offered DA or gov positions? If not I'll just shoot an email to Tiffany Tucker of the CDO.

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
viz-luv wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:


Hey I think I read that you chose to attend UH over UT. I'm in the same position now.

Do you ever have any serious regrets in choosing to go to UH? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot employment wise if I go to UH rather than UT.

What did some of your class do for 1l summer or have planned for 2l summer?


Not itfr but I (recent grad) chose uh over bc of debt and family concerns but I always wanted midlaw/boutique or bust (which is probably a worse idea for employment but I had the experience to back it up). I would say your career goals really matter because biglaw or bust is not a good idea here. itfr will know if oci is looking better or worse than last year and how the 2ls placed as far as offers though. Past years are closer to 15% biglaw and that's a little misleading because we do get older students who can use past work experience to get specific practice groups. Top 10% is really the safer range; our year had many top 20% striking out. Not as bad as the two years before, but markets can't be predicted this far ahead. If you are ok with smaller firms our year actually is doing really well at becoming lawyers. The year before us landed a bunch more offers after bar results (our year did too, lots of da and Gov offers) and are doing well. Personal anecdata - love my unicorn job, happy with uh (parking sucks and I had a garage pass as a commuter), cdo worked very hard and they do not forget about graduates.


I want a DA or gov job. That has been my goal since high school. I don't even care about starting salary that much now since my debt will be a lot lower at UH and my salary will (hopefully) go up over the years. do you happen to know the class rank of the people who got offered DA or gov positions? If not I'll just shoot an email to Tiffany Tucker of the CDO.

I have no idea. I don't keep up with people's placement that well outside of my specific interest group and people don't talk about their GPA or class rank.

User avatar
viz-luv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby viz-luv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Torres1893 wrote:I want a DA or gov job. That has been my goal since high school. I don't even care about starting salary that much now since my debt will be a lot lower at UH and my salary will (hopefully) go up over the years. do you happen to know the class rank of the people who got offered DA or gov positions? If not I'll just shoot an email to Tiffany Tucker of the CDO.


I love Tiffany ftr.
DA we actually do really well. Usually only a couple people want the job and they get in one of the offices. Our year was weird because we had an unusually high number who began school wanting da but those who passed the bar got their offers. One was even a preselect. The trick with da is 1) intern, then intern, and intern some more, show that interest and you could be doing trials in 3l and get a fellowship for post bar working (friend got this, huge help while waiting) and 2) do remember that preselects are very very limited and almost everyone does the post bar route. Class rank is all over. Grades are not as important as that dedication (see 1 above). People with lower grades who interned got the jobs and the couple who missed their first choice jobs doing this as a back up did not fare so well (they went on to other firms, just no from da). I think all of them did mock trial.
We have quite a few in Gov positions, lots of honors programs and our students don't do half bad. I'm not as familiar with this group though. We do have agencies come over for career fairs. same as da start interning early! That sets you up for the honors application.

texasfight16
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby texasfight16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I'll agree with those who said that the admitted students day was dreadfully boring. The CDO lady was awesome though. She was so lively and informative at the same time. I was dozing off for the rest except for lunch.

elcamino4
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby elcamino4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.

texasfight16
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby texasfight16 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 am

elcamino4 wrote:I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.


when you negotiate, do you just email them? or is there a type of form?

User avatar
the guardians42
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby the guardians42 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:21 pm

texasfight16 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.


when you negotiate, do you just email them? or is there a type of form?


Also wondering the same.

User avatar
Torres1893
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm

There's a scholarship reconsideration form you have to send. It's on their website. You have to either edit the PDF to fill in the blanks or print it out and were in the info and scan it. Then email it to the email on the form.

If I wasn't on mobile I would add the link to the form.

_sendnudes
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby _sendnudes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 pm

texasfight16 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.


when you negotiate, do you just email them? or is there a type of form?

https://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/Schol ... ksheet.pdf

elcamino4
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby elcamino4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:44 pm

_sendnudes wrote:
texasfight16 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.


when you negotiate, do you just email them? or is there a type of form?

https://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/Schol ... ksheet.pdf


+1

Also, I would send some sort of statement with it. I just included one in my email, but I can imagine that's better than just submitting the form. Good luck!

User avatar
the guardians42
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby the guardians42 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 pm

elcamino4 wrote:
_sendnudes wrote:
texasfight16 wrote:
elcamino4 wrote:I finally decided to send in my deposit. I was able to go from 0 --> $10000/yr (unsolicited) --> $15000/yr (negotiation).

Very happy with the opportunities for DA/PD/PI/Clerkships. Couldn't be happier about the diversity and the location in Houston.

Shoutout to the rest of the future cougars on here.


when you negotiate, do you just email them? or is there a type of form?

https://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/Schol ... ksheet.pdf


+1

Also, I would send some sort of statement with it. I just included one in my email, but I can imagine that's better than just submitting the form. Good luck!


Just went from 12k-18k with negotiation this week.

Placing my deposit down now.

User avatar
HennessyVSOP
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HennessyVSOP » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 am

Withdrew today with a 3/4 $cholarship, hope one of yall gets it

gizmo1024
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gizmo1024 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am

Withdrew today (full-ride). GL all!

blackdragonhorses
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby blackdragonhorses » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Is there ANYONE still waiting on an initial decision from University of Houston? I applied for the part time evening program and the file has been complete since 2/22, went under review 4/19 and changed status to still under review 5/25. Still no decision.

Is there anyone else that applied in January/February that has not received an initial decision on their application?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: etramak, NavyNuke, TheKingLives, urmlaw17 and 9 guests