Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:47 pm

..

historicrep
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby historicrep » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am

I too will be putting down multiple deposits. Potentially three...

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 am

historicrep wrote:I too will be putting down multiple deposits. Potentially three...


I feel you, but it will pay off!

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Username123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm assuming the common practice for putting in multiple deposits is to notify the schools beforehand out of courtesy?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm assuming the common practice for putting in multiple deposits is to notify the schools beforehand out of courtesy?


What do you mean? Telling them that you have other offers? or just depositing before the deadline?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Username123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm assuming the common practice for putting in multiple deposits is to notify the schools beforehand out of courtesy?


What do you mean? Telling them that you have other offers? or just depositing before the deadline?


Just depositing. Should I tell the three or four schools I'm depositing at that I've deposited at multiple schools before or after I've deposited?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm assuming the common practice for putting in multiple deposits is to notify the schools beforehand out of courtesy?


What do you mean? Telling them that you have other offers? or just depositing before the deadline?


Just depositing. Should I tell the three or four schools I'm depositing at that I've deposited at multiple schools before or after I've deposited?


Eh well WHEN you pay the deposit won't really matter assuming that you're gonna pay it anyway and schools won't respond to negotiation until after that. So that will just be personal preference. And schools can see via LSAC where each candidate is deposited. So they'll know either way. But when you email them to negotiate you should mention that you have X number of options from ABC. I would wait until after you've actually deposited to inform them.

Edit: This is all assuming u're waiting until after the deadline to negotiate. If you wanted to try and negotiate beforehand then it's different. For example you could email them and say "I really want to pay the first deposit but I can't unless you increase my scholly" etc...
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm

^^You have no reason to tell them anything. They KNOW with certainty that many students have multiple deposits during April. That is why LSAC has a hard date of May 1 for reporting.

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby yodamiked » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm assuming the common practice for putting in multiple deposits is to notify the schools beforehand out of courtesy?


What do you mean? Telling them that you have other offers? or just depositing before the deadline?


Just depositing. Should I tell the three or four schools I'm depositing at that I've deposited at multiple schools before or after I've deposited?


Each school has access to what schools you've deposited at.

NIUmelk
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NIUmelk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:50 pm

If one of the schools you're trying to negotiate with has no deposit fee, and their deadline is 4/1, do you check the box that says you're attending and then withdraw? I feel like that's too good to be true....

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Can we negotiate stipulations? Also, let's say someone was offered about 90k from UVA. Instead of 30K a year, could one ask for 45K the first two years?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:14 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Can we negotiate stipulations? Also, let's say someone was offered about 90k from UVA. Instead of 30K a year, could one ask for 45K the first two years?


Nope. Law schools spread out scholly evenly to prevent kids from exploiting the system. It sucks though, since 45k split between the first two years would end up being a lot cheaper than 30k for 3 years, because of how the interest accrues

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby yodamiked » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:Can we negotiate stipulations? Also, let's say someone was offered about 90k from UVA. Instead of 30K a year, could one ask for 45K the first two years?


I've seen someone on the forums here say they were able to negotiate stipulations. Haven't tried myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm

yodamiked wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:Can we negotiate stipulations? Also, let's say someone was offered about 90k from UVA. Instead of 30K a year, could one ask for 45K the first two years?


I've seen someone on the forums here say they were able to negotiate stipulations. Haven't tried myself, so take it with a grain of salt.


You can negotiate stipulations like the requirements to keep your scholly. But I've never heard of a law school adjusting the distribution of your scholly

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm

cusenation wrote: Nope. Law schools spread out scholly evenly to prevent kids from exploiting the system. It sucks though, since 45k split between the first two years would end up being a lot cheaper than 30k for 3 years, because of how the interest accrues

Dammit. Thanks for the info.

yodamiked wrote:I've seen someone on the forums here say they were able to negotiate stipulations. Haven't tried myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks!

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Username123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm

So schools don't know you've deposited at other schools until May 1st, since that's the date LSAC reports the deposits of students?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sublime » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm

..

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm

NIUmelk wrote:If one of the schools you're trying to negotiate with has no deposit fee, and their deadline is 4/1, do you check the box that says you're attending and then withdraw? I feel like that's too good to be true....

Geez, that's scary. What school is this?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm

JXander wrote:
NIUmelk wrote:If one of the schools you're trying to negotiate with has no deposit fee, and their deadline is 4/1, do you check the box that says you're attending and then withdraw? I feel like that's too good to be true....

Geez, that's scary. What school is this?


I think it's UCI or Boalt. I know neither of them have a deposit fee, they just require a statement of commitment

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 pm

cusenation wrote:
JXander wrote:
NIUmelk wrote:If one of the schools you're trying to negotiate with has no deposit fee, and their deadline is 4/1, do you check the box that says you're attending and then withdraw? I feel like that's too good to be true....

Geez, that's scary. What school is this?


I think it's UCI or Boalt. I know neither of them have a deposit fee, they just require a statement of commitment

Wow. Do you need to buy them an engagement ring, too? :?
BerkeleyBear wrote:Can we negotiate stipulations? Also, let's say someone was offered about 90k from UVA. Instead of 30K a year, could one ask for 45K the first two years?

I have had schools ask me for the stips when I send them info. If the school has a matching program, I would send them as much info as possible.

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby crossingfingers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm

cusenation wrote:
JXander wrote:
NIUmelk wrote:If one of the schools you're trying to negotiate with has no deposit fee, and their deadline is 4/1, do you check the box that says you're attending and then withdraw? I feel like that's too good to be true....

Geez, that's scary. What school is this?


I think it's UCI or Boalt. I know neither of them have a deposit fee, they just require a statement of commitment


This could also be IUB. They "accept your word" and don't require a deposit, but require a response by 5.1. They are a very top choice for me, but I'm not going to bind myself this early, given that I have 7 schools I haven't heard from and am on 6 waitlists so far. I'm unsure of how to best navigate this one as well...

NIUmelk
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NIUmelk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:05 pm

It's IUB. I'm between them, MN, UIUC, and I'm still waiting on 4 schools.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby cwid1391 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Has anyone tried the technique of saying "If you offer me X, I will put down my seat deposit tomorrow"?

I feel like it would carry a lot of weight, but I feel like it might be perceived as too brash.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

cwid1391 wrote:Has anyone tried the technique of saying "If you offer me X, I will put down my seat deposit tomorrow"?

I feel like it would carry a lot of weight, but I feel like it might be perceived as too brash.


I kind of did...? It worked out well for me. PM for details

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby buddyt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Schools A and B are peer state schools. School A has offered a full-ride, and School B has offered 1/2 tuition. School A's deposit deadline is a couple weeks before School B's. If given a full-ride at both, I would prefer School B.

I'm assuming that, in order to keep pressure on School B leading up to their deposit deadline, I will have to pay the deposit at School A to keep that offer alive. Is that correct?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”