Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
VeeD101

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 am

rabbitrun wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
btp wrote:Is there an area where someone has given a detailed summary for negotiating scholarships? It seems tedious to read through 900+ posts to figure out negotiation strategies. Just wondering if someone in particular has made a particularly great post or if there is an article elsewhere on TLS. Thank you in advance. Hopefully others can benefit from this as well.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

I briefly looked through that post a couple of times, still have a question. Am I supposed to be compiling a PDF w/ the scholly offers I am negotiating with, or do I just say School A gave me XXX amount of money?

You can just say school A gave you $XXX. They may or may not ask to see the offers. If they have explicitly asked to see the offers, then give them the pdf compilation.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 am

What happens to your acceptances after the first deposit deadline passes and you have not put it down yet?

Also, for schools that applicants are waitlisted at, do they notify you that you will not be taken off at a certain point?

TYIA

Username123

Postby Username123 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 am

togepi wrote:What happens to your acceptances after the first deposit deadline passes and you have not put it down yet?

Also, for schools that applicants are waitlisted at, do they notify you that you will not be taken off at a certain point?

TYIA

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 am

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
togepi wrote:What happens to your acceptances after the first deposit deadline passes and you have not put it down yet?

TYIA

The deposit reserves your spot in the incoming class. So if you don't pay the deposit by the deadline, you're basically declining your offer. Unless the school gave you an extension or something. And i don't think they ever officially drop you from the waitlist...You just sort of wait it out, but most people will withdraw themselves from the waitlist after a certain date. Just because it's no longer feasible to attend anyway if the school hypothetically admits you in the middle of August.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
btp wrote:Is there an area where someone has given a detailed summary for negotiating scholarships? It seems tedious to read through 900+ posts to figure out negotiation strategies. Just wondering if someone in particular has made a particularly great post or if there is an article elsewhere on TLS. Thank you in advance. Hopefully others can benefit from this as well.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

I briefly looked through that post a couple of times, still have a question. Am I supposed to be compiling a PDF w/ the scholly offers I am negotiating with, or do I just say School A gave me XXX amount of money?

You can just say school A gave you $XXX. They may or may not ask to see the offers. If they have explicitly asked to see the offers, then give them the pdf compilation.

Personally, I would just attach the PDF copies of your offers up front even if they don't ask for it anywhere. I really don't think that will be perceived in any negative light, and to me that's proper etiquette. Schools have had people bluff their scholarship offers, after all :roll: .

Also be sure to check on your school's website and/or admitted students website - they may explicitly say to attach offers to the email. For at least one T14 I was accepted to, on the admitted students website they specifically ask that you attach other offers as PDF's. I don't know if that was posted on their general website.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:

Personally, I would just attach the PDF copies of your offers up front even if they don't ask for it anywhere. I really don't think that will be perceived in any negative light, and to me that's proper etiquette. Schools have had people bluff their scholarship offers, after all :roll: .

Also be sure to check on your school's website and/or admitted students website - they may explicitly say to attach offers to the email. For at least one T14 I was accepted to, on the admitted students website they specifically ask that you attach other offers as PDF's. I don't know if that was posted on their general website.

I don't think there's a wrong answer here. It really depends on your negotiation style. Mine was more conversational and worked wonderfully. To me, putting out school names and attaching letters is more aggressive than I want to be right off the bat, but this has worked for a lot of other people. You need to figure out what you're comfortable doing and follow that technique. If that doesn't work try another way. Just continue to be polite and express your strong interest throughout the process.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Yeah, I don't think there is a definitive answer either. You should do what you're comfortable with. The most important part is being polite and the way you word your request.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm

It's pretty frustrating when certain schools do not respond to your emails. I'm trying to negotiate aid out of a few schools and two of them (my 1 and 2 choices) haven't responded.

historicrep

Postby historicrep » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:53 pm

TheThriller wrote:It's pretty frustrating when certain schools do not respond to your emails. I'm trying to negotiate aid out of a few schools and two of them (my 1 and 2 choices) haven't responded.

Hard to not respond when you're talking on a telephone :D

whsy

Postby whsy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

TheThriller wrote:It's pretty frustrating when certain schools do not respond to your emails. I'm trying to negotiate aid out of a few schools and two of them (my 1 and 2 choices) haven't responded.

Are you emailing the general admissions email or a specific person? I emailed specific people i.e. dean, director of admissions/fin aid, and didn't have to wait all that long for a response..

texas1990

Postby texas1990 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm

so i tried my hand at negotiating for the first time and it was a success!
had 75K at vandy, 90K at USC, and in-state at UT Austin. sent it over to UCLA and got 75K within 3 hours.
as great as it is, this is gonna make decision-making even harder.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm surprised that they didn't match their cross-town rival. :P

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

texas1990 wrote:so i tried my hand at negotiating for the first time and it was a success!
had 75K at vandy, 90K at USC, and in-state at UT Austin. sent it over to UCLA and got 75K within 3 hours.

Congrats! Did you email UCLA with the names of the schools, amounts, and PDFs of the award letters? Also, was this your first email, or did you send an earlier inquiry, and then they responded with a request for the specific schools and amounts? Thanks for the help!

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 am

whsy wrote:

Are you emailing the general admissions email or a specific person? I emailed specific people i.e. dean, director of admissions/fin aid, and didn't have to wait all that long for a response..

I emailed the general admissions office.

Should I forward the email to specific people/deans ect if I don't hear back by the end of the week?

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 am

cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

TYIA

The deposit reserves your spot in the incoming class. So if you don't pay the deposit by the deadline, you're basically declining your offer. Unless the school gave you an extension or something. And i don't think they ever officially drop you from the waitlist...You just sort of wait it out, but most people will withdraw themselves from the waitlist after a certain date. Just because it's no longer feasible to attend anyway if the school hypothetically admits you in the middle of August.

So is it alright to make multiple first seat deposits? Also, what is the timeline for the waitlist? Schools have to know that applicants need to make housing arrangements and such by June/July. This is frustrating :(

DorthyMantooth

Postby DorthyMantooth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:03 am

TheThriller wrote:
whsy wrote:

I emailed the general admissions office.

Should I forward the email to specific people/deans ect if I don't hear back by the end of the week?

I too would like advice on this. I sent my email to the dean of admissions a week ago and have not heard back. Curious as to what my next move should be if I don't hear back sometime next week.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am

togepi wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

TYIA

So is it alright to make multiple first seat deposits? Also, what is the timeline for the waitlist? Schools have to know that applicants need to make housing arrangements and such by June/July. This is frustrating :(

From what I've been told by others on this forum, you are allowed to make multiple deposits for the first deposit. Schools have to understand that decisions can't be complete yet with schools offering ASWs and ASDs the weekend before April 15th. And some schools have their first deposit on April 1st. I'm sure if you made multiple deposits and sent an email to the school explaining why, it would be understandable.

And you would probably get more $ if you play your cards right.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am

Just started negotiating with WUSTL. Has anyone had any experience with turnaround time on new offers?

whsy

Postby whsy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 am

still waiting on two schools I'm negotiating with. It has been about a week since they forwarded my letter to the committee..

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

yodamiked wrote:Just started negotiating with WUSTL. Has anyone had any experience with turnaround time on new offers?

I submitted my inital negotiation email to them on Monday, I am interested in this as well.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

whsy wrote:still waiting on two schools I'm negotiating with. It has been about a week since they forwarded my letter to the committee..

Do you mind if I ask which schools?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

rufus&miles wrote:
yodamiked wrote:Just started negotiating with WUSTL. Has anyone had any experience with turnaround time on new offers?

I submitted my inital negotiation email to them on Monday, I am interested in this as well.

They'll either:

1. not respond until after first deadline or
2. send you a generic response saying that they'll keep your request under consideration as their budget becomes clearer

No matter which way they go, there likely won't be any increases until after first deposit.

texas1990

Postby texas1990 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 pm

swordking90 wrote:
texas1990 wrote:so i tried my hand at negotiating for the first time and it was a success!

Congrats! Did you email UCLA with the names of the schools, amounts, and PDFs of the award letters? Also, was this your first email, or did you send an earlier inquiry, and then they responded with a request for the specific schools and amounts? Thanks for the help!

I emailed the generic admissions account with the names of the schools and amounts. they emailed me back with who exactly to contact and requested that i send pdfs at that time. easy office to work with and very nice. even got a quick personal note from the dean afterwards.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:53 pm

cusenation wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:

They'll either:

2. send you a generic response saying that they'll keep your request under consideration as their budget becomes clearer

No matter which way they go, there likely won't be any increases until after first deposit.

Is this how they've been doing things so far this cycle or just what you figure they'll do?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

yodamiked wrote:
cusenation wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:

They'll either:

Is this how they've been doing things so far this cycle or just what you figure they'll do?

Partly because that's what it seemed like what they were doing last year (that's what they did to me) and just cuz I figure there's no reason for them to increase anyone's scholly until after the first deadline passes and they 1. have a better idea of their scholly commitments and how flexible they can be and 2. what their medians look like after the first wave of kids withdraw

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”