Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby rma » Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 pm

tmon wrote:
rma wrote:I actually withdrew from all my other options, but only because I was set on DU anyway.

When I originally asked for scholarship $ (in early April) they told me they had none, and to wait until after the first seat deposit deadline when some $ should open up. They also told me that the best way to illustrate my commitment to the school was to put down a deposit, which I did.

Even though you withdrew from the places giving you money, it's still OK to discuss how much they gave you and you can be like, "But I was willing to give that to attend your school, etc..."

More than anything, I just think it's important for anyone who is negotiating to 1) Be Persistent- keep trying until you get the answer you want, you have nothing to lose (I had to call DU's admissions office 10 different times at one point to get a hold of Dean Davis) and 2) Do the best sell job you can on yourself as to why you'd be successful in law school. When I was negotiating trying to get money at DU, Dean Davis asked about my poor sub-3.0 GPA because he said it was uncommon for the school to dish out scholarship money to sub 3.0 students. So I basically talked about my GPA and why it was so low, and in addition to that I explained to him reasons that I think I would be successful in law school. I got scholarship money the very next day.

It's totally possible that you can negotiate without other options on the table, obviously, because you're first hand evidence. But for anyone who comes along and reads this thread for next cycle, it makes way more sense to keep your offers and use them as leverage. Not every school will up you just through persistence and selling yourself. But if you have money or at least acceptance to a competing or superior school you're in a much better situation.


Sure. As I said, the reason I withdrew is because I was going to attend DU anyway. I'm just very fortunate they threw money my way.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby xChiTowNx » Wed May 23, 2012 9:48 pm

I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tmon » Wed May 23, 2012 10:57 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

Is there any reason you shouldn't try?

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 am

tmon wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

Is there any reason you shouldn't try?


Fair enough. I'll see what the T2 says - can't hurt.

User avatar
fashiongirl
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby fashiongirl » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:
tmon wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

Is there any reason you shouldn't try?


Fair enough. I'll see what the T2 says - can't hurt.


Came here to ask the same type of question. I got a 60% scholly to a borderline T3/T2 and I want to ask the bottom T2 school to give me some money. They haven't budged before so I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Let me know what they say chitown..

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 pm

fashiongirl wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
tmon wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

Is there any reason you shouldn't try?


Fair enough. I'll see what the T2 says - can't hurt.


Came here to ask the same type of question. I got a 60% scholly to a borderline T3/T2 and I want to ask the bottom T2 school to give me some money. They haven't budged before so I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Let me know what they say chitown..


Non-committal, but I got the T2 to reconsider the offer. He was nice and told me that realistically, they couldn't match the 15k the T3 was offering, but would reconsider my scholarship and get back to me shortly.

@Fashiongirl: It was actually a pleasant experience chatting on the phone with the adcomm. If you can speak with an adcomm about a scholarship offer via the phone, I would suggest to go for it - it is more personal and more direct, and can go a long way. Just be honest about the situation you are in, and the adcomm should be able to give you a straight answer.

landla
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby landla » Thu May 24, 2012 4:59 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:@Fashiongirl: It was actually a pleasant experience chatting on the phone with the adcomm. If you can speak with an adcomm about a scholarship offer via the phone, I would suggest to go for it - it is more personal and more direct, and can go a long way. Just be honest about the situation you are in, and the adcomm should be able to give you a straight answer.


As a warning, though, I've found some schools very much do not like when you call on the phone about financial aid and review. Most that I've dealt with have spoken with me very briefly and then told me to send them an email request - absolutely nothing was accomplished on the phone. I've also had schools call me, which seems to be a whole other case. Just wanted to let people know in case someone expected a welcome and great chat and got what I did. (Not that there is anything wrong with what I got; they are busy. It would just be surprising if one expected anything else.)

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Nammertat » Thu May 24, 2012 5:22 pm

landla wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:@Fashiongirl: It was actually a pleasant experience chatting on the phone with the adcomm. If you can speak with an adcomm about a scholarship offer via the phone, I would suggest to go for it - it is more personal and more direct, and can go a long way. Just be honest about the situation you are in, and the adcomm should be able to give you a straight answer.


As a warning, though, I've found some schools very much do not like when you call on the phone about financial aid and review. Most that I've dealt with have spoken with me very briefly and then told me to send them an email request - absolutely nothing was accomplished on the phone. I've also had schools call me, which seems to be a whole other case. Just wanted to let people know in case someone expected a welcome and great chat and got what I did. (Not that there is anything wrong with what I got; they are busy. It would just be surprising if one expected anything else.)


I definitely agree with this, however would add that it varies from school to school. In talking with ASU, they were fantastic..... Davis not so much.

xChiTowNx
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby xChiTowNx » Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm

fashiongirl wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
tmon wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:I was just accepted off of the WL into a T2 and awarded 5k/year - should I even bother using my half ride from a T3 as a leverage to even up the T2 acceptance by 5k? I am an Intl and the T2 was on my list of 'possible transfer into' if I ended up taking the offer at the T3.

Is there any reason you shouldn't try?


Fair enough. I'll see what the T2 says - can't hurt.


Came here to ask the same type of question. I got a 60% scholly to a borderline T3/T2 and I want to ask the bottom T2 school to give me some money. They haven't budged before so I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Let me know what they say chitown..


Kudos to the 2 posters above me for the other end of the calling spectrum.

Email back, $5k increased to $7500. Small increase, but it helps.

rebeccac
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby rebeccac » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

Is it OK if I asked again for more money after being told my scholarship was increased? Has anyone else done this before (second-time negotiation for more money)?

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tmon » Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 am

rebeccac wrote:Is it OK if I asked again for more money after being told my scholarship was increased? Has anyone else done this before (second-time negotiation for more money)?

If you have a reason/new information, you might be able to do it without sounding too annoying. For instance, if the school initially increased your amount, but then a competing school did the same, it may be worth mentioning. It would be a tough situation though, and you'd want to sound as grateful for the amount they're already giving you as possible, while simultaneously noting that the other school is very attractive to you as far as costs go. I'm skeptical it'd work, but at the end of the day, this question applies to most of these situations:

tmon wrote:Is there any reason you shouldn't try?

landla
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby landla » Sat May 26, 2012 2:40 pm

tmon wrote:
rebeccac wrote:Is it OK if I asked again for more money after being told my scholarship was increased? Has anyone else done this before (second-time negotiation for more money)?

If you have a reason/new information, you might be able to do it without sounding too annoying. For instance, if the school initially increased your amount, but then a competing school did the same, it may be worth mentioning. It would be a tough situation though, and you'd want to sound as grateful for the amount they're already giving you as possible, while simultaneously noting that the other school is very attractive to you as far as costs go. I'm skeptical it'd work, but at the end of the day, this question applies to most of these situations:

tmon wrote:Is there any reason you shouldn't try?


I did; it worked for a little more money. It's definitely worth trying.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I appreciate everyone's help and advice, and it has made this stressful process into an easier one.

I was recently admitted to a top 25 school, and I'm very excited about hopefully attending. The second deposit deadline is fast approaching, and I'd really appreciate your advice regarding asking for more money.

An admissions counselor initially admitted me with 10k. I asked about receiving more money, he spoke with the dean, and I was given an extra 1k/year. About two weeks later, I wrote an email to the dean asking if I could be considered for more money, so I can attend this top choice school of mine; I explained why the money was crucial in the email. I got the impression that more money is available, but based on my scores, I cannot receive anymore. I know of other students who have the same numbers or slightly lower numbers than myself, and they received a couple thousand more dollars a year, but I know that I cannot mention this in my emails or conversations.

Before the next deposit is due, I would really like to send one more email, explaining my situation and asking if I can be considered for any additional funding whatsoever, as it can make the biggest of differences in my ability to attend. Who would you recommend I write to - the dean of admissions and financials who declined additional funding in the last correspondence? The admissions counselor who originally spoke with the dean on my behalf and helped me get the additional 1k/year? Can/should I write to someone above the dean, possibly the dean of the law school? What would you recommend I say / don't say?

My only other offer is 20k/year from two different tier two schools. I'm hoping for anything, whether it's the couple thousand more that other students with lower scores who are not URM's received, or more/less.

Thanks.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Any advice, really appreciate any opinions.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

It could be that right now, all their funds are given out, and there won't be more available until after the 2nd deposit deadline. If they have no more money available, what are you going to do? You can always send in the 2nd deposit, and see what funds open up.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I know they still currently have money.

Should I write to the same two people again (admission counselor and dean of admissions / financials)? Should I write to someone above them - yet I don't want to piss anyone off and sound like I'm inappropriately going above them...?

Should I say I may have to go to another school by default that has awarded me more money? Should I not include the name since it is tier two and may not be considered comparable?

Finally, should I include my continued high gpa? What can I say that may cause them to reconsider despite being told that nothing more can be given last time based on my numbers, and without sounding demanding or threatening. I also do not want to lie and say I will likely not be able to attend in case I do even without increased funding. Thanks so much!

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm

sportsstar1234 wrote:I know they still currently have money.

Should I write to the same two people again (admission counselor and dean of admissions / financials)? Should I write to someone above them - yet I don't want to piss anyone off and sound like I'm inappropriately going above them...?

Should I say I may have to go to another school by default that has awarded me more money? Should I not include the name since it is tier two and may not be considered comparable?

Finally, should I include my continued high gpa? What can I say that may cause them to reconsider despite being told that nothing more can be given last time based on my numbers, and without sounding demanding or threatening. I also do not want to lie and say I will likely not be able to attend in case I do even without increased funding. Thanks so much!

How do you know they have more money? If they just told you they had no more money for you, then put in your deposit, and call back in a month or so to inquire if the situation has changed. You can't make a school give you money.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HellOnHeels » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 am

How would you go about asking for more scholarship money for a scholarship you had to interview for, was offered an amount, accepted the amount, but figure it can't hurt to ask for more? I'm already definitely going to the school, and they know that (so it could be possible they wouldn't even consider a request).

User avatar
barbaraeliz
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby barbaraeliz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 am

stephinmd wrote:How would you go about asking for more scholarship money for a scholarship you had to interview for, was offered an amount, accepted the amount, but figure it can't hurt to ask for more? I'm already definitely going to the school, and they know that (so it could be possible they wouldn't even consider a request).



I'm in the situation. I know they're offering pretty considerable amounts to W/L'ers, so the money is there.

Any help for me and Steph, asap, would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
The ASSET
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby The ASSET » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

Has anyone had luck getting an increase after already making housing and tuition deposits? My other offers have all expired so it seems unlikely that I would have any leverage.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BmoreOrLess » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

The ASSET wrote:Has anyone had luck getting an increase after already making housing and tuition deposits? My other offers have all expired so it seems unlikely that I would have any leverage.


Depending on the school and your numbers (e.g. splitters at T1's), your butt filling a seat is likely very valuable to them right now.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

It's amazing how quickly schools throw money at you when you say "At this price, it would be impossible for me to attend your school."

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby beezy08 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm

The ASSET wrote:Has anyone had luck getting an increase after already making housing and tuition deposits? My other offers have all expired so it seems unlikely that I would have any leverage.


Similar situation...I asked for my stipulation to be reduced/removed after I withdrew everywhere else and gave a deposit to the school, and they obliged. They don't really know for sure that you're actually going to attend until you show up at orientation, regardless of deposits, so some schools will still negotiate. The only problem I could foresee with money is that they might be out of funds, but your leverage never really goes away until you start school because up until that point you could easily just not attend any school that year.

jd20122015
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby jd20122015 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

i just got into columbia and am attending nyu...no money at nyu. thoughts on how to proceed?

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Xs20 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Does anyone know of/have any experience with negotiating with WUSTL using a scholly from Iowa? I was offered a full ride ($105k) from Iowa today, but it has top 50% stips. Scholarships from WUSTL haven't been given out yet, but I'm wondering if this will be an effective bargaining chip when they are?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”