Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ninjaunderwear

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by ninjaunderwear » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 am

zor wrote:It kind of came back to bite me in the butt, because I assumed people wouldn't negotiate and then I could cross them off my list. In the end, I wound up just opening up my options, making it even harder to choose!
First World problems

Decimal

New

Post by Decimal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am

zor wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:Is a significant scholarship at Tulane enough leverage to try to negotiate a larger scholarship from Cardozo? Would it be worth it to try this? Anyone know how Cardozo treats scholarship negotiations?

It worked for me. I went to them with no leverage and they upped mine by $3k, and then I went with a full Brooklyn scholarship and got them up to near-full tuition. This thread was immensely helpful: just be polite and honest.

My negotiation success, for present and future classes:
Temple: $7.5k to $30k
Cardozo: $35k to $38k and then finally $44k
Brooklyn: $35k to $48k
Fordham: Nada, and rude to boot!
Boston University: $20k to $23k
Boston College: Hasn't responded to either of my two emails.

It kind of came back to bite me in the butt, because I assumed people wouldn't negotiate and then I could cross them off my list. In the end, I wound up just opening up my options, making it even harder to choose!
BU offered me $15k a year for three years. I would love to go (will send my seat deposit this weekend in all likelihood) but I also want to make the debt more manageable. Do you think BU would care at all about a $75k (all three years) scholarship from UC Hastings? I know they're not peer schools but I don't have anything else to put forth.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

Decimal wrote:
zor wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:Is a significant scholarship at Tulane enough leverage to try to negotiate a larger scholarship from Cardozo? Would it be worth it to try this? Anyone know how Cardozo treats scholarship negotiations?

It worked for me. I went to them with no leverage and they upped mine by $3k, and then I went with a full Brooklyn scholarship and got them up to near-full tuition. This thread was immensely helpful: just be polite and honest.

It kind of came back to bite me in the butt, because I assumed people wouldn't negotiate and then I could cross them off my list. In the end, I wound up just opening up my options, making it even harder to choose!
BU offered me $15k a year for three years. I would love to go (will send my seat deposit this weekend in all likelihood) but I also want to make the debt more manageable. Do you think BU would care at all about a $75k (all three years) scholarship from UC Hastings? I know they're not peer schools but I don't have anything else to put forth.
They probably won't, but the worst they'll say is no. There's no reason not to ask.

Decimal

New

Post by Decimal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 am

I guess if there's harm in asking, I'll give it a try,

Congrats on getting a little more out of BU though! Which school are you most interested in?

painttherosesred

New

Post by painttherosesred » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm

zor wrote:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Yeah that does make for a tough decision -- which one do you think you'll go with?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:30 pm

painttherosesred wrote:
zor wrote:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Yeah that does make for a tough decision -- which one do you think you'll go with?
If I can get BC to beat BU on price, BC in a heartbeat.

lightswitch

New

Post by lightswitch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 pm

To update, I negotiated with UT-Austin and they upped their offer from $21000 to $45000. Now I'm going to try the same thing with Cornell; does anyone know if there's a specific person we need to email, or is it just the financial aid office? With UT-Austin it was a specific branch of the office.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

sjwest wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
so_fetch wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:
The scholarship doesn't exist anymore. You may as well make up a scholarship at that point.
I actually disagree with this. You can say you were offered a scholarship from that school and that is the truth; you did receive an offer. But keep in mind that the other school is probably well aware of the first school's scholarship expiration dates, as they are peer schools.

It still shows them that someone else valued your enrollment higher than they did, so it's worth a consideration. But they might think you're trying to pull over a fast one.
Thanks for the responses! Yeah I see it both ways--- on one hand, the implicit threat of "if you do not up my offer, I will go to school_A who gave me the higher offer" is no longer relevant, but on the other hand I also think it can be a reflection of your 'market value' so to speak, so if you are thinking about it the second way, the expiration aspect does not matter.

When you say "pulling a fast one" do you mean like seriously unethical and would be grounds for no $ + un-accepting you? Or just like "nice try, buddy" kind of thing? I am thinking about saying that I received $x per year from School X, $y from School Y, any way you can up my offer?? and see what happens. Thoughts??

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm

In other news....

I am guessing the answer will be "fat chance" but do you think there is any potential leverage trying to use a very large GW scholarship to negotiate w/ NYU?

(i know nyu won't match it 100% obviously)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey guys!

I got really lucky with 115K total from Boston U. I just got accepted into Fordham with 15k total. What's the best way to negotiate? I like Fordham and love NYC but is there a chance to get anything significant from them (I heard they're stingy)?

Need advice!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Alabama:

Initially 10k a year with top 40% stipulation, if outside then reduced to 6k

1st attempt: 20k a year with same stip

2nd attempt: 22k a year with top 50% stipulation, if outside then reduced 8k

Extremely happy with this considering my gpa is 2.5!

bbalcrzy23

Bronze

Post by bbalcrzy23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Last edited by bbalcrzy23 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prospecta8571

New

Post by Prospecta8571 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey, quick question about negotiating scholarships: Is it more effective to call and discuss or is an email the better option?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Prospecta8571 wrote:Hey, quick question about negotiating scholarships: Is it more effective to call and discuss or is an email the better option?
I would email (if you called, they'll probably tell you to email them). It puts them in an awkward position if you call but they're not exactly in a position to offer you the money right away. A lot of schools assign scholarship money by committee, so calling also doesn't help if committee approval is required.

If you don't hear back after a while, I would consider calling to follow-up (but NOT to ask for money directly) to make sure that you emailed the right person, etc.

I also make sure to mention any earlier-than-usual deadlines in my email.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Prospecta8571 wrote:Hey, quick question about negotiating scholarships: Is it more effective to call and discuss or is an email the better option?
The best approach is to get one of those squeeky dog toys and bop the admission council member on the head while singing "mo money mo problems" by B.I.G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhRKVIjJtw&ob=av3e

Seriously I got 15k more total from WUSTL by asking nicely via email.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 am

I just sent an email asking for merit or need-based aid from SCU. I got $0 and no other offers from other schools... haven't heard back from 2. I really have no idea how this will play out but if I don't ask, the answer is always no. It would help to get any money on top of what the GI bill provides. Crossing my fingers for good news!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:29 am

fashiongirl wrote:I just sent an email asking for merit or need-based aid from SCU. I got $0 and no other offers from other schools... haven't heard back from 2. I really have no idea how this will play out but if I don't ask, the answer is always no. It would help to get any money on top of what the GI bill provides. Crossing my fingers for good news!
SCU is very stingy. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 19871987 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I am pretty much set on going to Michigan but haven't deposited yet. They offered me $10k/year. I emailed the admissions office a couple of weeks ago to ask about possibly increasing my merit award, and they said they said it's not their practice to compete with other schools' merit award offers, but that they could pass along my inquiry to the Financial Aid office (they would need to know which schools offered awards and how much before making a final determination). I didn't get any scholarship offers from peer schools (frankly, I was surprised to get any money from Mich, as my LSAT is below their median) so I don't have a ton of leverage. However, I'm wondering whether it'd be worth it to email the Financial Aid office before I put down my seat deposit, let them know I'm hesitating because UCLA offered me twice as much as Michigan (this is true) and see if there's any possibility of them increasing my award. Is this a waste of time? If not, any thoughts on how to politely go about doing this? Thanks.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I won't be using any of the scholarships I negotiated, but I figured I would share my experiences for others.

Early in the cycle I was offered $120,000 from UVA.

WUSTL later offered $135,000.

I used those two offers to negotiate from $60,000 to $120,000 at Cornell and $74,000 to $142,000 at Texas.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Any sense in providing an update about a job promotion? I already sent them a competing scholarship offer..Would mentioning the promotion give me any more leverage?

AbLSAT

New

Post by AbLSAT » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I got about 10k a year from a top 10 ten school, and just sent in the deposit. Is there anyway to ask politely for more? Or once I sent it in, I'm done?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 pm

AbLSAT wrote:I got about 10k a year from a top 10 ten school, and just sent in the deposit. Is there anyway to ask politely for more? Or once I sent it in, I'm done?
Can always ask. Why'd you wait to ask though? If there are changed circumstances or something, mention it.

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I've been negotiating back and forth with a school and I'm looking for some outside perspective/advice on a current letter. Anybody have a second to take a look at it?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:Can an NU acceptance pull any money out of GULC?
Doubtful. Try it and tell us.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:58 pm

hadisious wrote:I've been negotiating back and forth with a school and I'm looking for some outside perspective/advice on a current letter. Anybody have a second to take a look at it?
Sure

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”