Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
station4
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby station4 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am

lawapp12 wrote:So I was wondering how successful I could be at negotiating a scholarship at a school that's ranked higher (and I haven't received a scholarship at) than other schools I have received scholarships at.

Trying to get one at #44 CU Boulder

Received scholarships at:
#67 Loyola Chicago $36000
#76 Penn State $9000
#82 Michigan State $75000
#93 Syracuse $60000

I just kinda feel like since my top choice is ranked so much higher than the others they probably want care too much >.>
Any thoughts?


If your cycle is over and you are not expecting any further admits or scholarships, I guess you just make a run with what you have. You might not be too optimistic, but I would still give it my best shot. As long as you are honest and polite, the worst they will say is no. Not knowing any specifics of your situation, I would try to communicate to them that CU is definitely your top choice and the only thing holding you back from sending them a deposit is money.

User avatar
EMH99
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby EMH99 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Anyone knowledgeable about the negotiation process for T20-T50 schools? PM me, please. Want to run an idea by someone else, and I'm on a deadline. Thanks.

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby so_fetch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:

Octa14
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Octa14 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm negotiating with a T14 school. I have a scholarship from a slightly lower ranked school and an acceptance from a top 10 school and a peer school. The top 10 school has a lower tuition and cost of living than the school I am negotiating with. Should I bring up the difference in COA (about $14k) in my response? Or should I focus on the scholarship with the lower ranked school? Thanks.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:10 pm

so_fetch wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:


This sounds rather unethical to me, assuming I'm understanding correctly.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 pm

so_fetch wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:

I actually talked to a 2L at a certain unnamed rigorous Chicago school who negotiated a scholarship using an expired scholarship from a certain Greenwich Village-based T14. But I imagine that was an exception not a rule.

lameslice57
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lameslice57 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Does anyone have experience/thoughts w/ negotiating w/ a school after you put a nonbinding deposit down there?

landla
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby landla » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:07 pm

lameslice57 wrote:Does anyone have experience/thoughts w/ negotiating w/ a school after you put a nonbinding deposit down there?


I would imagine it only works if you have deposited at multiple places, other than in rare circumstances.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nini11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 am

This Thread is awesome. I need some advice please.

My top choice, Northwestern gave me no money.
My second choice, W&M only gave me 8000.
I got a full ride to Hofstra, can I negotiate with NU and W&M ?

If so, how do I approach them, do I call or email?

Thanks in advance!!!

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 am

USD admissions are known patsies.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:57 am

nini11 wrote:This Thread is awesome. I need some advice please.

My top choice, Northwestern gave me no money.
My second choice, W&M only gave me 8000.
I got a full ride to Hofstra, can I negotiate with NU and W&M ?

If so, how do I approach them, do I call or email?

Thanks in advance!!!


Full ride notwithstanding, Hofstra isn't going to put fear into W & M (let alone NU) that you won't attend this fall. If you were leveraging against NU significant money from UVA, Duke, Cornell, GULC, or UCLA, it would be a whole new ballgame. And I would suspect that with money from the aforementioned schools, W & M would up your scholly quickly, even if only by a few thousand per year. I would still encourage you to try it, but don't be surprised if they call your bluff and say no. This is coming from a guy who strongly believes in negotiating for more money and better terms, and has helped people do it.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:09 am

so_fetch wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:


The scholarship doesn't exist anymore. You may as well make up a scholarship at that point.

nini11
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nini11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:48 am

PDaddy wrote:
nini11 wrote:This Thread is awesome. I need some advice please.

My top choice, Northwestern gave me no money.
My second choice, W&M only gave me 8000.
I got a full ride to Hofstra, can I negotiate with NU and W&M ?

If so, how do I approach them, do I call or email?

Thanks in advance!!!


Full ride notwithstanding, Hofstra isn't going to put fear into W & M (let alone NU) that you won't attend this fall. If you were leveraging against NU significant money from UVA, Duke, Cornell, GULC, or UCLA, it would be a whole new ballgame. And I would suspect that with money from the aforementioned schools, W & M would up your scholly quickly, even if only by a few thousand per year. I would still encourage you to try it, but don't be surprised if they call your bluff and say no. This is coming from a guy who strongly believes in negotiating for more money and better terms, and has helped people do it.




Hm unfortunately I think your right :(

confusedprelaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby confusedprelaw » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 am

Do you guys think it would be worth leveraging my BU scholarship to get a scholarship at USC? I got $66,000 at BU and nothing at USC. I know there's a ranking gap between the two, which has especially grown since the results of the last rankings, so do you guys think it's worthwhile?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm

confusedprelaw wrote:Do you guys think it would be worth leveraging my BU scholarship to get a scholarship at USC? I got $66,000 at BU and nothing at USC. I know there's a ranking gap between the two, which has especially grown since the results of the last rankings, so do you guys think it's worthwhile?


It never hurts to try, the worst they can say is "no."

lightswitch
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lightswitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm having problems negotiating with UT-Austin.

My bargaining chips:
$75000 from Fordham
$120000 from WUSTL
Admission to Cornell (but at sticker)

My stats:
GPA: 3.68
LSAT: 168

I emailed them with the offers/admission just two days ago, and they responded today with:
"Unfortunately awards through our office have been finalized however I would recommend that you look into alternative funding/loans."

I'm not sure if that means that they're out of money, or if they just don't feel like handing me any additional money. They've only given me $21000, so it's still expensive to go there. I must also note that I want to use an improved offer from UT-Austin to negotiate with Cornell's super expensive sticker, since I've lived in New York for the last 4 years and would prefer to stay here.

Do you have any advice? Is there another person to talk to besides the nice people in the financial aid office? Is this sort of stonewalling from them common? Is it still worth it to keep pushing them further?

Thanks in advance.

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:42 am

Any idea on what to say after you've used all your leverage? I have been unsuccessful twice. My last 2 options have deposits on Sunday, and I really just want to see if one will up my merit aid. I know I'll be attending but I'm getting kind of desperate at this point, my scholarship was tiny, even in comparison to peer schools. Suggestions on what to say? :?

nygrl
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nygrl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 am

lightswitch wrote:I'm having problems negotiating with UT-Austin.

My bargaining chips:
$75000 from Fordham
$120000 from WUSTL
Admission to Cornell (but at sticker)

My stats:
GPA: 3.68
LSAT: 168

I emailed them with the offers/admission just two days ago, and they responded today with:
"Unfortunately awards through our office have been finalized however I would recommend that you look into alternative funding/loans."

I'm not sure if that means that they're out of money, or if they just don't feel like handing me any additional money. They've only given me $21000, so it's still expensive to go there. I must also note that I want to use an improved offer from UT-Austin to negotiate with Cornell's super expensive sticker, since I've lived in New York for the last 4 years and would prefer to stay here.

Do you have any advice? Is there another person to talk to besides the nice people in the financial aid office? Is this sort of stonewalling from them common? Is it still worth it to keep pushing them further?

Thanks in advance.


I tried negotiating with UT and they were pretty clear in my email that I would be receiving nothing, but your email sounds a bit more open ended. It's possible that they're out of funds for now but that they'll keep you in consideration if more funds become available. I would email them back and just ask for a clearer explanation, say you've looked into other funding (assuming you have), and mention that you would like an answer ASAP b/c have deposit deadlines approaching.

Regarding negotiating with Cornell, I would tell them pretty much what you said above - that you really want to attend but are concerned with the high COA. They know their tuition is insanely expensive and they will be more likely to give you something if they know you are serious about attending.

Good luck!

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:33 am

My Short story of trying to negotiating

Got $69 k from minn
$0 from bu

Tried to use $69 to get $ from bu

Bu said no and tried to make it sound like I was "awarded a loan"

I'm now a gopher

Volake
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Volake » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Couple weeks ago i sent an email negotiating my 28k scholarship at UIUC to 56k. I used an offer from Iowa (unknown financial aid) as well as a 56k offer from Chicago Kent and a 90k offer from Depaul. I also mentioned that the latter two of these schools would allow me to save significant money in lodging as they are near enough for me to commute from my current residence.

Thank you contributors to this thread for increasing my knowledge about scholarship negotiation.

operagrl71
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby operagrl71 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Need some advice:

So I was planning to try and negotiate with Columbia based on my scholarship offer at U. Chicago and other large offers from mid range t-14, then found out yesterday that I got into Stanford. I still want to see if I can get Columbia to up its offer just to keep the option on the table, but I'm not really sure whether to send them something now and mention that I'm still waiting on Stanford/Berkeley, or wait until I have actual offers in hand. Thoughts?

As of now:
Columbia - $50K intial offer made after notifying them about $62.5K from NYU [didn't know about other scholarships at the time]
U. Chicago - $60K
Duke - $114K
Berkeley - waiting on matching scholarship decision
Stanford - ?

User avatar
sjwest
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sjwest » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
so_fetch wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to use an expired scholarship offer to negotiate?

For example if you have scholarship at School_A with deposit/expiration deadline April 5, but you haven't received the offer yet from School_B. If School_A doesn't grant an extension, can you use School_A's expired offer to negotiate with School_B in the future?

Let's say you are going to School_B either way regardless of money, but you obviously want to maximize scholarship $ as much as possible. School_B is slightly higher ranked,both are top 10.

Thanks in advance 8) sorry if that is really paranoid of me not to say the school names :oops:


The scholarship doesn't exist anymore. You may as well make up a scholarship at that point.


I actually disagree with this. You can say you were offered a scholarship from that school and that is the truth; you did receive an offer. But keep in mind that the other school is probably well aware of the first school's scholarship expiration dates, as they are peer schools.

It still shows them that someone else valued your enrollment higher than they did, so it's worth a consideration. But they might think you're trying to pull over a fast one.

painttherosesred
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby painttherosesred » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Is a significant scholarship at Tulane enough leverage to try to negotiate a larger scholarship from Cardozo? Would it be worth it to try this? Anyone know how Cardozo treats scholarship negotiations?

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am

Whats the general decorum as far as "thank you" emails are concerned once a school has upped your offer?

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby zor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:47 am

painttherosesred wrote:Is a significant scholarship at Tulane enough leverage to try to negotiate a larger scholarship from Cardozo? Would it be worth it to try this? Anyone know how Cardozo treats scholarship negotiations?



It worked for me. I went to them with no leverage and they upped mine by $3k, and then I went with a full Brooklyn scholarship and got them up to near-full tuition. This thread was immensely helpful: just be polite and honest.

My negotiation success, for present and future classes:
Temple: $7.5k to $30k
Cardozo: $35k to $38k and then finally $44k
Brooklyn: $35k to $48k
Fordham: Nada, and rude to boot!
Boston University: $20k to $23k
Boston College: Hasn't responded to either of my two emails.

It kind of came back to bite me in the butt, because I assumed people wouldn't negotiate and then I could cross them off my list. In the end, I wound up just opening up my options, making it even harder to choose!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crimsonknight, Exabot [Bot], JosefK, jtawil, kvnrogers, notsolawful and 17 guests