Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
der_saeufer

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby der_saeufer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Unagi wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:So I just got an updated offer from UCLA of $20,000 a year, up from $0. I really want to go to UCLA, but I'll only go if I can get it bumped up to $30,000 a year(which tons of people with my numbers have received). I already told them about $76,500 from Texas, $45,000 from Michigan and $129,000 from WUSTL. I just got $75,000 from Vanderbilt, which I'm going to to try to use to negotiate. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should approach another round of negotiating?

Also got 60k from UCLA. Told them about my 75K Vandy offer and got a no. :|

UCLA has got to know that Vandy is known for being generous...

Are you guys including the need-based grant in those numbers or is that just the merit scholarship?

landla

Postby landla » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am

BK201 wrote:
maycomb wrote:For those of you who have written scholarship negotiation emails, did you attach a copy of your scholarship offer letter from the other school(s)? Is that tacky? Do I just mention the school and amount honor-system style?

I wouldn't attach it. The school will believe you, if they happen to ask for it then you can provide it.

Plus, then you know you are being considered for more/likely got it if they request proof. From what I've seen on here, it doesn't seem to matter either way, but most don't seem to attach.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Need some advice: Sent a scholarhip negotiation email about a month ago...and got a response that it will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review...since then I have gotten another scholly offer from Notre Dame...is it a good idea to send another email basically saying...I just wanted to see where you are in the process of reviewing my negotiation email and I wanted to let you know of another offer I recently recieved???? or should i just wait for their decision

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:58 pm

^ Is Notre Dame a peer school or at least a scholarship offer that the school you're trying to negotiate with will take into consideration?

If yes, I'd send it in.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 pm

gaud wrote:^ Is Notre Dame a peer school or at least a scholarship offer that the school you're trying to negotiate with will take into consideration?

If yes, I'd send it in.

sorry should have just come out and said it...the shcool I am negotiating with is Howard...so Notre Dame is a very great deal up in the rankings so I think it would carry a lot of weight

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:02 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
gaud wrote:^ Is Notre Dame a peer school or at least a scholarship offer that the school you're trying to negotiate with will take into consideration?

If yes, I'd send it in.

sorry should have just come out and said it...the shcool I am negotiating with is Howard...so Notre Dame is a very great deal up in the rankings so I think it would carry a lot of weight

I'd absolutely try it! Good Luck!!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 pm

would anybody mind taking a look at a negotiation email im about to send...its just a follow up to check on the status of my first negotiation letter and to tell them about another scholarhip I just got...will pm if anyone is interested

justicefishywishy

Postby justicefishywishy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 pm

I haven't received my financial aid information from Columbia yet, but I've already received some generous offers from Michigan, Chicago and NYU. Should I start the negotiation process early by telling them how much I've already received from these schools and ask them to take it into consideration when they give me my offer? Or should I wait until Columbia gets back to me in case Columbia offers me more than those schools?

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 pm

I've emailed several schools for negotiations this cycle, and failed at most of them. I was successful at raising a 50% tuition at UIUC to a 75%, but sadly they wouldn't go any higher than that. Anyway, it definitely can work so good luck to everyone!

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

I definitely messed up in waiting too damn long to apply. I finally got my first competing scholarship offer to counter with my first choice...unfortunately it's from a lower ranked school.

Anybody have any insight on how negotiating a full ride to WVU v. Richmond (or any school in the 40s-60s) would end up? I'm thinking I'm pretty much screwed.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 am

Well, I sent a long shot email asking for an increased scholarship based on employment prospects in my target market vs. other schools with better placement (though ranked similarly). Received a nice letter that basically said fat chance. Oh well.

KaleidoscopeEyes

Postby KaleidoscopeEyes » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:32 am

Successfully negotiated up to a Chancellor's Scholarship at UT (full tuition and fees) using a Dean's Scholarship at Cornell for anyone that's interested.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

Wasn't going to get anything from G. Mason...

Called and asked nicely and they gave me 24k.

Working on Penn St to up their offer from 38 to maybe 48 or 50...fingers crossed.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 am

Shut down twice at UH... :(

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Hypothetical that will likely happen:

I will a PT SMU scholarship be leverage for FT at UH?

I know FT SMU scholarship would be great leverage but I'm not sure how a PT one would look.

quovo

Postby quovo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Received an 8k grant from my #1 choice and top ranked school I applied to. Have offers with money from lower ranked schools, but nothing i'd imagine would cause my top choice to fear as leverage.

Anyone have success using a sincere, honest approach asking simply, "I'm concerned with job prospects and overall COA after 3 years. While grateful for the initial grant, is there anything I can do that would prompt admissions to consider giving me more aid?"

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:08 pm

quovo wrote:
Anyone have success using a sincere, honest approach asking simply, "I'm concerned with job prospects and overall COA after 3 years. While grateful for the initial grant, is there anything I can do that would prompt admissions to consider giving me more aid?"

I haven't used this approach, but I don't think I would recommend it if I'm interpreting correctly. The schools that you're going to be negotiating with are going to know the job prospects of their peer schools and any other comparative information under the sun. I couldn't imagine a school responding positively to a direct "your school is crappier than X" approach.

If I'm wrong and you're going for a "law school in general is expensive, job prospects are bleak, and X has made enrolling a more financially enticing option" approach, then I definitely don't think that can hurt.

quovo

Postby quovo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

More or less, without using negotiation tactics, I'm wondering if schools would look at a straight forward cry for more help with favor.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:19 pm

quovo wrote:More or less, without using negotiation tactics, I'm wondering if schools would look at a straight forward cry for more help with favor.

Probably not because they don't have to and they are running a business, not a charity. That being said, can't hurt to ask.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Well, shot down by Richmond ( in the nicest way possible). Didn't have much leverage so I wasn't expecting much

AD10390

Postby AD10390 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm

What schools are peer schools of Fordham. Have $ offers from a bunch of schools but not sure which ones give leverage. Also does Fordham negotiate at all?

landla

Postby landla » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 am

AD10390 wrote:What schools are peer schools of Fordham. Have $ offers from a bunch of schools but not sure which ones give leverage. Also does Fordham negotiate at all?

Tell us what amounts and schools for more help.

AD10390

Postby AD10390 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Current offers( as well as waiting on response from Vandy, Cornell, although not expecting $$$)
Tulane 30k/yr
BLS 26k/yr
Alabama 25k/yr
UMN 25k/yr
Emory 25k/yr

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 pm

FWIW, at Penn's ASW they specifically said to let them know about scholarship offers from other schools to negotiate aid.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm

iamrobk wrote:FWIW, at Penn's ASW they specifically said to let them know about scholarship offers from other schools to negotiate aid.

Oh interesting thanks for passing that along. I attended another ASW which of course fell on the same days. Do you know what e-mail address they want scholarship inquiries sent to?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”