Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unagi

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Unagi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:So I just got an updated offer from UCLA of $20,000 a year, up from $0. I really want to go to UCLA, but I'll only go if I can get it bumped up to $30,000 a year(which tons of people with my numbers have received). I already told them about $76,500 from Texas, $45,000 from Michigan and $129,000 from WUSTL. I just got $75,000 from Vanderbilt, which I'm going to to try to use to negotiate. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should approach another round of negotiating?

Also got 60k from UCLA. Told them about my 75K Vandy offer and got a no. :|

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:36 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:So I just got an updated offer from UCLA of $20,000 a year, up from $0. I really want to go to UCLA, but I'll only go if I can get it bumped up to $30,000 a year(which tons of people with my numbers have received). I already told them about $76,500 from Texas, $45,000 from Michigan and $129,000 from WUSTL. I just got $75,000 from Vanderbilt, which I'm going to to try to use to negotiate. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should approach another round of negotiating?

No experience here, but 60k total at UCLA is not competitive with 45k @ Michigan. Given the comparative job prospects coming out of these schools, 15k is a drop in the bucket. I wouldn't lead with that point, but you can make a strong case for their offer (which doesn't even match their peers) not being enough to sway you.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Got $96k from loyola los angeles. the only thing i really have to leverage them with is an acceptance to UC Hastings and Boston U, both of which are much higher ranked.

My goal is to get 20-30k more from them, based on the fact that i already have a ton of undergrad debt, and that their grads have been doing very poorly the last 3-4 years and there is a more than reasonable chance that i won't be able to service the debt.

If they won't raise my scholarship amount, should I try and at least get them to lower the stipulations on the scholarship (from top 40% to a 2.0?)

Thanks guys.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm going to try to negotiate with Tulane for some more scholarship money. Their initial offer is 75K, which is slightly over half tuition. I currently have 84K from Wash U and an acceptance to Virginia; how likely do you think it will be that Tulane agrees to 105K (the number that seems to be the most they'll offer)? I would strongly consider Tulane w/ 105K over Virginia at sticker...

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

For my 2nd request, should I reply to their response so that my first request is still in the email? or just start fresh?
Any idea on how to word a second response after they didn't award any additional merit aid?
:?

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Has anyone had any negotiation history with Richmond?

adc1222

Postby adc1222 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

If I have $25K a year at WUSTL, $20K a year from Vanderbilt, do y'all think I can negotiate with a $25/K offer from Alabama? Alabama's OOS tuition is only around $28K+, so this is almost full tuition, whereas VULS and WUSTL cost around $46K a year sticker. Wondering if I could get that to full (just seems nice psychologically haha) and/or maybe even a stipend of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Has anyone used numbers from LSN to negotiate? It seems a lot of acceptances with similar # as me got substantial scholarships and I got nuthin.

EDIT: This in addition to normal leverage.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:Has anyone used numbers from LSN to negotiate? It seems a lot of acceptances with similar # as me got substantial scholarships and I got nuthin.

Interested in hearing about this as well

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 pm

emptyflare wrote:
StarLightSpectre wrote:Has anyone used numbers from LSN to negotiate? It seems a lot of acceptances with similar # as me got substantial scholarships and I got nuthin.

Saw this answered somewhere else. I haven't seen anyone try and use LSN numbers. The response the other poster gave made sense though which was that the school will just say something like all candidates are evaluated qualitatively and scholarships aren't based on raw numbers, then maybe something about how anyone can post on LSN and none of those are confirmed. I just can't see a school letting you use self-published internet information to leverage them to give a scholarship. It would open up a Pandora's box.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:38 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
emptyflare wrote:

Saw this answered somewhere else. I haven't seen anyone try and use LSN numbers. The response the other poster gave made sense though which was that the school will just say something like all candidates are evaluated qualitatively and scholarships aren't based on raw numbers, then maybe something about how anyone can post on LSN and none of those are confirmed. I just can't see a school letting you use self-published internet information to leverage them to give a scholarship. It would open up a Pandora's box.

Right. I probably would have said something like, "after speaking with other accepted students with similar credentials and from similar socio-economic backgrounds it has come to my attention that those students received scholarships ranging from.... to .... can I be expecting blah blah blah"

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:44 am

Do you guys have any advice on negotiating for a scholarship when the school explicitly states that they do not give scholarships unless a student is above both median LSAT and GPA? I am sitting at median for LSAT.

I have received scholarship from a school ranked below 3-4 spots and one in another tier :/ Feeling pretty hopeless at this point like I don't have any bargaining chips or anything really substantial to offer, except of course that I'm an amazing person and they'd be lucky to have me, but that's besides the point :P I have *extreme* financial need and really sad circumstances, should I try to exploit that?!

bisonprawn

Postby bisonprawn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:35 am

futurejdgirl wrote:Do you guys have any advice on negotiating for a scholarship when the school explicitly states that they do not give scholarships unless a student is above both median LSAT and GPA? I am sitting at median for LSAT.

I have received scholarship from a school ranked below 3-4 spots and one in another tier :/ Feeling pretty hopeless at this point like I don't have any bargaining chips or anything really substantial to offer, except of course that I'm an amazing person and they'd be lucky to have me, but that's besides the point :P I have *extreme* financial need and really sad circumstances, should I try to exploit that?!

I say you should at least try. Worst case scenario: they say no.

Even though your scholarships were from lower ranked schools, but maybe they're in better locations? higher job placement trends? etc. Also, you might think about other things you are able to bring to the law school aside from grades/LSAT. Any good experiences? Diversity? Finally, tell them how much you want to go to the school, and emphasize that money would tip the scale for you in their favor.

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 am

bisonprawn wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:Do you guys have any advice on negotiating for a scholarship when the school explicitly states that they do not give scholarships unless a student is above both median LSAT and GPA? I am sitting at median for LSAT.

I say you should at least try. Worst case scenario: they say no.

Even though your scholarships were from lower ranked schools, but maybe they're in better locations? higher job placement trends? etc. Also, you might think about other things you are able to bring to the law school aside from grades/LSAT. Any good experiences? Diversity? Finally, tell them how much you want to go to the school, and emphasize that money would tip the scale for you in their favor.

Yup. I did it all that. Flat out rejected. :( Looks like I'll be drowning in loans next year.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 am

Does anyone have a minute to read my 2nd try email? I was shut down the first time but want to try again using a better scholarship offer from a peer school.

scottybared

Postby scottybared » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

mtyler19 wrote:Does anyone have a minute to read my 2nd try email? I was shut down the first time but want to try again using a better scholarship offer from a peer school.

Sure, I'm just sitting in a boring lecture. PM it to me.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

scottybared wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:Does anyone have a minute to read my 2nd try email? I was shut down the first time but want to try again using a better scholarship offer from a peer school.

Sure, I'm just sitting in a boring lecture. PM it to me.

PM'd. Thanks so much!! :)

zor

Postby zor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Worked for me! I got an increase from Temple leveraging offers from Brooklyn and Cardozo. Unfortunately, it's still not enough to compete with those offers. But I now have an offer from BU to use as leverage. Any tips for writing that follow-up email in a way that doesn't come across as, "This is nice and all, but MOARR!" I feel like no matter how I phrase it, it comes across as indelicate.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm

zor wrote:Worked for me! I got an increase from Temple leveraging offers from Brooklyn and Cardozo. Unfortunately, it's still not enough to compete with those offers. But I now have an offer from BU to use as leverage. Any tips for writing that follow-up email in a way that doesn't come across as, "This is nice and all, but MOARR!" I feel like no matter how I phrase it, it comes across as indelicate.

Who did you email at Temple? I sent an email to the FinAid office general email and still haven't gotten a response :/

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

zor wrote:Worked for me! I got an increase from Temple leveraging offers from Brooklyn and Cardozo. Unfortunately, it's still not enough to compete with those offers. But I now have an offer from BU to use as leverage. Any tips for writing that follow-up email in a way that doesn't come across as, "This is nice and all, but MOARR!" I feel like no matter how I phrase it, it comes across as indelicate.

Would you mind sharing your basic email structure? Did you use some of the boilerplate templates that are floating around on here?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zor

Postby zor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

abbottsbar wrote:

Would you mind sharing your basic email structure? Did you use some of the boilerplate templates that are floating around on here?

Damn, I wrote a response and then my browser crashed.

I used the templates here. I wrote saying that I was thrilled to have been admitted, and am really looking forward to [list of specific programs/opportunities that interest me]. Then the second paragraph said I was even more happy to have been offered a merit scholarship, and given factors x, y, and z finances are my top concern in choosing a school. I then mentioned my other offers and said that this school was among my top choices, and any additional aid would go a long way toward helping me choose it.

BK201

Postby BK201 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Anyone available to answer a scholarship negotiation question? Pm me if possible

maycomb

Postby maycomb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

For those of you who have written scholarship negotiation emails, did you attach a copy of your scholarship offer letter from the other school(s)? Is that tacky? Do I just mention the school and amount honor-system style?

BK201

Postby BK201 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm

maycomb wrote:For those of you who have written scholarship negotiation emails, did you attach a copy of your scholarship offer letter from the other school(s)? Is that tacky? Do I just mention the school and amount honor-system style?

I wouldn't attach it. The school will believe you, if they happen to ask for it then you can provide it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”