Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theavrock

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by theavrock » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 pm

TT09 wrote:How many success stories have their been for people that have been accepted off of the WL and given scholly $? I just got accepted off of one last Friday and most likely will not attend without some dough...
I negotiated from $0K to $40K with a school I was accepted off the WL at.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 pm

wamanda wrote:Thanks so much for this thread! It literally helped me save $90,000. My story:

I was accepted at UCLA with $60k. I was then offered $75k at BU. I tried to negotiate UCLA up. They didn't budge on scholarships, but they did offer need-based aid that I hadn't realized I would qualify for/they hadn't seemed to consider me for before, which brought me up close to $90,000.

Later this summer, I was accepted off the waitlist at Duke and UVA. I wrote to the Dean at UCLA about this, saying I was tempted by the prestige these schools could offer/job opportunities that might outweigh the financial aid from UCLA. They responded later that day with another $30,000, bringing me to just about $120,000. (This, by the way, happened before Duke even offered me a $48k scholarship. You totally can get scholarships off the waitlist!)

Then, just recently, I got in off Michigan's waitlist. I told Michigan about my offer at UCLA and they offered me $60,000. I told UCLA that I was strongly considering Michigan (I swear, I wasn't even trying to negotiate at that point...I was seriously about to attend Michigan) and the Dean called me with ANOTHER $30,000.

I chose UCLA. At this point, they are literally paying me to attend. All in all, I talked them up $90,000. Granted, I had some decent leverage, all conveniently spaced out, thanks to waitlist. But still, this is rather ridiculous--especially considering my LSAT is exactly UCLA's average. I'm not exactly Harvard material that they were trying to win over.

My final advice:
1) stay on waitlists, even if you aren't super interested in the schools. First, you could be surprised at how your desires change over the cycle (I originally hadn't been very interested in either UCLA or Michigan, but ended up falling in love with both schools). Waitlists can work out quite well if you wait until the bitter end, and they give you much-needed leverage.
2) Ask about need-based aid. You may not qualify, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Most schools denied me flat-out for need-based help, but UCLA gave me tons. You never know how each school does its calculation.
3) Don't be afraid to try to start a bidding war. I never was able to get a real one going, but there is nothing wrong with using School A's scholarship offer to leverage School B into a better deal and then taking B's increased offer back to A. Some people quit after just one round, but I don't see the need. Every time I got off a waitlist, I told the school about UCLA's offer and then took that school's counter-offer back to UCLA. I'd have nothing right now if I hadn't done that.
4) NEVER be afraid to ask for more money. UCLA did say no to me once when I was accepted off Penn's waitlist. But then, just a couple weeks later, when Michigan accepted me, they were much more ready to negotiate, even though Penn and Michigan are peers. Just keep trying! As long as you are polite and not an ass, there is no harm done.
5) Don't listen to naysayers. SO many times, my friends and family told me to stop negotiating, that I had talked UCLA up as much as possible and should be careful not to piss them off. But UCLA never once seemed annoyed with me. Now, my friends and family all think I am amazing for getting so much money and apologized for trying to dissuade me. Now I am going to law school for free! :D

Hope this helps. Get that money!
Last edited by 071816 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm also thankful to learn about negotiating from TLS.

I got in from the waitlists at GULC and Cornell. GULC gave me 21k total and I got Cornell to match it. It's a very meager amount but hey, that's 21k I don't have to pay. :lol:

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Bumping this thread for the new cycle. May everyone have tremendous negotiating success.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:39 pm

To this year's negotiators: I went from a 16k scholarship to a 50k scholarship per year by negotiating over the course of two months. Don't settle, it works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Tagging for future reference.

hartma25

New

Post by hartma25 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 pm

tooswolle wrote:Tagging for future reference.
+1

naw

Bronze

Post by naw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Can't bring myself to wade through 12 pages of this, but does anyone have tips for URMs interested in negotiating scholarships? What's the balance between personal background and the numbers game of exercising other schools' offers?

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm

hartma25 wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Tagging for future reference.
+1
+2

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

I, too, wrote a letter for an increased scholarship amount from one of my top choices.

I basically informed them that while I was very happy about their current offer (about 70% of my tuition), the cost of living and other factors would still leave me with a large amount of debt. I also discussed why I want to go to the school and that I am very excited to attend their ASW, etc. so we'll see what they say.

Just remember to be polite and don't sound arrogant or rude. As long as you're respectful, you don't harm yourself at all and may save tens of thousands of dollars. The worst thing that happens is they just say no.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm

naw wrote:Can't bring myself to wade through 12 pages of this, but does anyone have tips for URMs interested in negotiating scholarships? What's the balance between personal background and the numbers game of exercising other schools' offers?
+1
Don't think this has been discussed on this particular thread.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 am

Cornelius wrote:Bumping this thread for the new cycle. May everyone have tremendous negotiating success.
Thanks for bumping this thread, Cornelius! I read through all 12 pages and have a bunch of notes for negotiating! This is going to be epic...

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

I know it's still really early in the cycle for scholarship negotiating, but I think this is one area where the drop in applicants this year could REALLY pay off (and I do mean that expression quite literally!).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Would love to get some feedback if possible.. I was accepted into Indianapolis with a 33k/yr scholarship (out of state). I am a little above their medians. I am interested in going to school here, though I am not sure how to ask for more money (I was surprised I was given as much as I was). Out of state is expensive (44k) plus the cost of living.. A weird stipulation for the scholly is that I must remain an out of state student to renew, plus 3.0.. Would probably go in a heartbeat if given more money..

All feedback is much appreciated!

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Anyone know if I should visit a school before I try to negotiate? Planning on attending the ASW but it's late march and I'm not sure I wanna wait that long. I have offers to use as leverage but I'm afraid that trying to convince them it's the school for me without having formally visited will put them off. Advice?

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

tolson1 wrote:Would love to get some feedback if possible.. I was accepted into Indianapolis with a 33k/yr scholarship (out of state). I am a little above their medians. I am interested in going to school here, though I am not sure how to ask for more money (I was surprised I was given as much as I was). Out of state is expensive (44k) plus the cost of living.. A weird stipulation for the scholly is that I must remain an out of state student to renew, plus 3.0.. Would probably go in a heartbeat if given more money..

All feedback is much appreciated!
Email them saying that they are your first choice and very appreciative of the scholarship, but right now you still need consider other options and are waiting to hear back from other schools. Say that if they were to increase your scholarship you are willing to send in your seat deposit immediately (only if you really are).

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Sent in. Time to pray 8)
Last edited by tolson1 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:52 pm

tagged

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm

btw384 wrote:tagged

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:21 pm

tagged

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Real Madrid wrote:I know it's still really early in the cycle for scholarship negotiating, but I think this is one area where the drop in applicants this year could REALLY pay off (and I do mean that expression quite literally!).
When do you think would be appropriate to begin negotiating? Should we wait until all schools have given decisions, or start as soon as we get offers from peer schools?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:I know it's still really early in the cycle for scholarship negotiating, but I think this is one area where the drop in applicants this year could REALLY pay off (and I do mean that expression quite literally!).
When do you think would be appropriate to begin negotiating? Should we wait until all schools have given decisions, or start as soon as we get offers from peer schools?
I think it is fine to start when you are able (i.e. have offers from peer schools), but I think it's a one time deal. You can't say to C, "NYU gave me 25% so you should too," only to come back a month later and say "well, I know I said I'd go to your school if you matched NYU's 25%, but I got into HLS and I think I need a full ride to keep considering you."

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
I think it is fine to start when you are able (i.e. have offers from peer schools), but I think it's a one time deal. You can't say to C, "NYU gave me 25% so you should too," only to come back a month later and say "well, I know I said I'd go to your school if you matched NYU's 25%, but I got into HLS and I think I need a full ride to keep considering you."

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:21 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Opie on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane12345

New

Post by hurricane12345 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Opie wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:
I've looked at many threads on TLS with examples of people negotiating and re-negotiating, not so sure it is a one time deal? Especially if something subsequently changes (i.e. another school upped their scholarship offer, you were accepted off a waitlist, higher LSAT score).

Anyone from previous cycles able to speak to this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”