Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
speedofthought
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby speedofthought » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 pm

JordanLaw15 wrote:So I need some advice por favor... I have been accepted to 3 schools so far. A school in the 50-60 range that gave me a full scholarship, a school in the 15-20 range that gave me over half tuition scholarship, and a t14 school that I've been accepted to but haven't heard received scholarship info yet. Could I ask the top 20 school for an increase or should I wait to see what the t14 school gives me first before I start negotiating?


I have an extremely similar situation, except that I have two full scholarships (one at the big law school in my hometown, which is in the 50-60 range, and one at WashU) and a half scholarship to a T-14, with perhaps more offers to come.

Texas, at 15, offered me a scholarship worth about a quarter of tuition. They've just opened up scholarship appeals. Presuming I receive no higher offers from any other T-14s, should I mention just the T-14 half scholarship, just the WashU full scholarship, or both?

magdalena92
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby magdalena92 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm

Will Michigan negotiate money offers from schools that are top 20 (like 15-20?) Or only t-14?

nkbee
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nkbee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Does anyone have any experience negotiating the stipulation attached to a scholarship offer? I tried scanning through the pages of this thread to find tips and tricks, but I was seeing a lot of information regarding increasing the amount. If anyone has anything to offer, that would awesome!

JordanLaw15
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JordanLaw15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:29 am

If I was accepted from a school in October and I haven't received scholarship information yet is it unlikely I will be offered one?

User avatar
Dodocogon
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 am

JordanLaw15 wrote:If I was accepted from a school in October and I haven't received scholarship information yet is it unlikely I will be offered one?


Really depends on the school. GW, who sends offers with admission? Probably no scholly coming. Many schools haven't even started sending out offers at all yet, so I wouldn't worry too much. Like has mainly sent out only its very large scholarships, could be something like that. So yeah, depends.

User avatar
nerdylsat
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nerdylsat » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Can anyone please send me a sort of model that I could use to send to Cornell asking for more money in light of a scholarship at another school? I know it sounds simple but I don't wanna be rude.

User avatar
DoYouEvenTLS
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:49 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 pm

delete
Last edited by DoYouEvenTLS on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acrobatic Fox
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Acrobatic Fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm

I am considering 4 schools, and visited the final 3 over the last week. When would it be acceptable to send negotiation emails?

I have sent emails to the heads of all admission departments on (2/6) thanking them for meeting with me, and now finalizing money is my only barrier to deciding where to attend. Should I wait a while longer before sending negotiations, or would it be ok to go a head and send them this week?

cantis
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby cantis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Looking for some advice.

So I've been accepted to 5 schools thus far. 4/5 gave me 2/3 tuition off while the 5th one gave me 1/2 scholarship (all right around same ranking).

I emailed admissions to my top choice seeing if they would bump up my offer and just got an email denying my ask. Where do I go from here? I'm thinking of trying to bump the 1/2 scholarship up and then going from there and hopefully getting more money from at least one more school to try and negotiate up my top school.

My question is--will my top school still negotiate if they had already denied me?

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Chipotle85 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 am

cantis wrote:Looking for some advice.

So I've been accepted to 5 schools thus far. 4/5 gave me 2/3 tuition off while the 5th one gave me 1/2 scholarship (all right around same ranking).

I emailed admissions to my top choice seeing if they would bump up my offer and just got an email denying my ask. Where do I go from here? I'm thinking of trying to bump the 1/2 scholarship up and then going from there and hopefully getting more money from at least one more school to try and negotiate up my top school.

My question is--will my top school still negotiate if they had already denied me?

Even if they don't, the worst thing that will happen is they say no. I would just say be respectful and nice in your email to them and there's nothing to worry about.

simplypara588
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:33 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby simplypara588 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Question re leveraging non-T14 offers: I was accepted at Cornell with $0. I received scholarships from 5 other schools so far, the lowest being $96k, but none of the schools are T14 (a couple of T20, a couple of TTT). I certainly don't expect Cornell to match even the $96k, but is there a decent shot they'll give me something given these other offers on the table?

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Chipotle85 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

simplypara588 wrote:Question re leveraging non-T14 offers: I was accepted at Cornell with $0. I received scholarships from 5 other schools so far, the lowest being $96k, but none of the schools are T14 (a couple of T20, a couple of TTT). I certainly don't expect Cornell to match even the $96k, but is there a decent shot they'll give me something given these other offers on the table?

Regardless, there is no reason not to try as long as you are polite and respectful

ohgosh
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ohgosh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Will Duke consider Cornell a peer for scholarship negotiations? I received more from Cornell than from Duke and am thinking about asking for anew offer from Duke.

VapidP
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby VapidP » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Would Columbia consider NYU even remotely?

pipipipi
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby pipipipi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Does anyone know if you can fill the GW negotiation form twice? It says you are only allowed to submit once, but just wondering what if one hears from more places after submission? I am trying to decide if I should submit what I have now or wait until I hear from all schools.

User avatar
ayylmao
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ayylmao » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Any chance of using H and S to get >$100K from CCN? Haven't been offered anything by any of them yet.

User avatar
sorence
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sorence » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Does anyone mind proof-reading my UCLA negotiation before I send it off? I've already had my non-law partner look at it but he's stressing I have someone more familiar with the process have a go before I try to barter for less debt. :) I can PM it to ya if you've got the time to help me out!

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby floatie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:02 pm

pipipipi wrote:Does anyone know if you can fill the GW negotiation form twice? It says you are only allowed to submit once, but just wondering what if one hears from more places after submission? I am trying to decide if I should submit what I have now or wait until I hear from all schools.


I'm pretty sure "only submit once" means "don't submit twice." If you're expecting offers that would be competitive with what GW offered, I would wait to send the form.

0LawSchool
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby 0LawSchool » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:21 pm

sorence wrote:Does anyone mind proof-reading my UCLA negotiation before I send it off? I've already had my non-law partner look at it but he's stressing I have someone more familiar with the process have a go before I try to barter for less debt. :) I can PM it to ya if you've got the time to help me out!



I can take a look at it!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm

VapidP wrote:Would Columbia consider NYU even remotely?


I honestly think that they would. I feel anyone dead set on the city and capable of getting into both has a tough choice to make and the schools know this; it's not a given that anyone would choose C over N or N over C, so I could see C fighting for you if they had to.

HowlandReed
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HowlandReed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

.
Last edited by HowlandReed on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pipipipi
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby pipipipi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Has anyone already negotiated successfully so far during this cycle?

I am wondering how the timeline goes since this is a particularly slow cycle.

mrtux45
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:00 am

pipipipi wrote:Has anyone already negotiated successfully so far during this cycle?

I am wondering how the timeline goes since this is a particularly slow cycle.


Curious about this too. I've read on some class threads that people get a response along the lines of "Thanks for you email, we're in the process of giving everyone merit aid. Be sure to apply for need based aid, we'll add this to your file"

User avatar
tncats
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tncats » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

When negotiating with schools that have very different tuition costs, can you negotiate with the more expensive school by saying it would cost you less to attend the cheaper school, or does it have to be a dollar for dollar negotiation?

HowlandReed
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HowlandReed » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:47 pm

tncats wrote:When negotiating with schools that have very different tuition costs, can you negotiate with the more expensive school by saying it would cost you less to attend the cheaper school, or does it have to be a dollar for dollar negotiation?

You can and should definitely do this




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alowery96, Exabot [Bot], lobsicle, sailcar, SopranoSaxophone, wolfonlawstreet, YANGQI77 and 17 guests